• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Story Discussion Thread (spoilers)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This thread was made for the sole purpose of discussing the story of StarCraft II without requiring spoiler tags. Anybody that does not want to be spoiled should leave immediately.

All Starcraft II story discussion should also be posted in this thread, and not the Official Thread.

Official Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401650

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

I went and watched all the cinematics from the game. Some solid stuff overall but honestly I think they butchered Kerrigan's character. Since this is a spoiler thread:

They turned her from the Queen Bitch of the Universe into a gloomy damsel in distress who sits in dark caves and talks about the inevitability of the end of the galaxy. Aside from her fatalistic conversation with Zeratul, her only cinematic line is "Jim." She gets redeemed at the end and turned mostly back into a human setting us up for the Zerg being good guys in the next expansion. They also gave her Sylvanas' voice to boot. I honestly think there is no worse way they could have handled her character.

I might add that the story closes with a shot of Raynor carrying a naked Kerrigan bridal style out into the Char sunset.

I wish I was kidding.

Cels

Ignis Fatuus said:
I went and watched all the cinematics from the game. Some solid stuff overall but honestly I think they butchered Kerrigan's character. Since this is a spoiler thread:

They turned her from the Queen Bitch of the Universe into a gloomy damsel in distress who sits in dark caves and talks about the inevitability of the end of the galaxy. Aside from her fatalistic conversation with Zeratul, her only cinematic line is "Jim." She gets redeemed at the end and turned mostly back into a human setting us up for the Zerg being good guys in the next expansion. They also gave her Sylvanas' voice to boot. I honestly think there is no worse way they could have handled her character.

I might add that the story closes with a shot of Raynor carrying a naked Kerrigan bridal style out into the Char sunset.

I wish I was kidding.

you have got to be kid--
oh wait you wish you were

edit - well i've thought about it some more, and i still have hope that it's a ploy by Kerrigan for her to take over the galaxy...ofc there are still 2 expansions to go. Remember in BW how she sided with Raynor and the Protoss survivors from Aiur but then it was really a ruse for her to infest the Matriarch...and then she ended up killing Aldaris, Fenix, and Duke...yea I hope this is a similar dealy.

But if the story continues in the same "Kerrigan is redeemed" way...who is going to be the big baddie?

Infinite Justice said:
Do you have a link to this?

whoops double post :(
The good quality HD videos I watched a few days ago got ganked by Activision but you can find lower res ones here, for now:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sam510938764#p/u

The lame ass ending:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sam510938764#p/u/19/J0YbdsUMRgg

Oh and Tychus dies.

Cels said:
you have got to be kid--
oh wait you wish you were

edit - well i've thought about it some more, and i still have hope that it's a ploy by Kerrigan for her to take over the galaxy...ofc there are still 2 expansions to go. Remember in BW how she sided with Raynor and the Protoss survivors from Aiur but then it was really a ruse for her to infest the Matriarch...and then she ended up killing Aldaris, Fenix, and Duke...yea I hope this is a similar dealy.

But if the story continues in the same "Kerrigan is redeemed" way...who is going to be the big baddie?
:lol Hope springs eternal.

No, it's not a trick by Kerrigan. When you see the videos in context you will understand. She's like a completely different character.

The big bad is going to be the Xel'Naga, this is very bluntly foreshadowed.

Cels

Ignis Fatuus said:
The good quality HD videos I watched a few days ago got ganked by Activision but you can find lower res ones here, for now:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sam510938764#p/u

The lame ass ending:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sam510938764#p/u/19/J0YbdsUMRgg

Oh and Tychus dies.

Jesus I just watched the ending...SOOOO LAME

edit

Ignis Fatuus said:
The big bad is going to be the Xel'Naga, this is very bluntly foreshadowed.

Figures...you weren't even kidding about the bridal style shit...I haven't watched all 19 cinematics but I just feel like the story has been ruined...from Queen Bitch of the Universe to being cradled in Raynor's arms like a baby. Why couldn't the universe have TWO antagonists, the Xel'Naga AND the Zerg?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ignis Fatuus said:

I wish I was kidding.

I'm not sure why you think that because she's (mostly, if we ignore her zerg hair) back to normal, that she still has control over the Zerg. For all we know, there could be some new Overmind or Duran, or ... who knows. It's hard to imagine zergs fighting side by side with humans.

Oh yeah and you know Raynor's beef with Mengsk? You know how this is Raynor's story and we kind of expect a confrontation between those two?

It never happens. They talk once through a hologram and that's it.

I despair of that ever being settled until Starcraft III.

Cels

Ignis Fatuus said:
Oh yeah and you know Raynor's beef with Mengsk? You know how this is Raynor's story and we kind of expect a confrontation between those two?

It never happens. They talk once through a hologram and that's it.

I despair of that ever being settled until Starcraft III.

Well I hope they at least settle stuff by the time Legacy of the Void comes out...in 2015.

And I'm still watching these videos, but anything about Duran or Infested Stukov?

Cels said:
And I'm still watching these videos, but anything about Duran or Infested Stukov?
No.

But they do have a black ghost with red camo who has voodoo magic and talks like a WoW troll.

Again, wish I was joking.

Ignis Fatuus said:

Oh and Tychus dies.

Just watched the vid and i expected as much. I just had a feeling something was not right

Cels

Man, even from the very FIRST cutscene you know that Tychus is working for Mengsk...you know the cutscene they showed at WWI in Korea where Tychus gets his Marine armor and says, "Hell, it's about time!" - yea that one.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jim Raynor likes to drink alot, and has lots of zerg skulls up as decorations. It's kinda cool seeing them.

also well, no I'm only 5 missions in so I don't have anything I can use to spoil everyone :(

Milabrega

I book marked this post so I can remember and capture Ice Monkey's reaction when his joke prediction turned out to be fairly accurate.

Ice Monkey said:
kerrigan rips off her zerg skin and stands there in all her glory while raynor runs over and jams a warp stick in her hoo hah?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22534735&postcount=1756

For a little while there I was in the mindset of the people "hey I can forget bnet2.0's trash restrictions since single player is going to be awesome anyway", not no more. Thanks for saving me $45 leaker! Also anyone who states the single player is only 1/3 a game is totally justified.

Cels

Milabrega said:
I book marked this post so I can remember and capture Ice Monkey's reaction when his joke prediction turned out to be fairly accurate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22534735&postcount=1756

For a little while there I was in the mindset of the people "hey I can forget bnet2.0's trash restrictions since single player is going to be awesome anyway", not no more. Thanks for saving me $45 leaker! Also anyone who states the single player is only 1/3 a game is totally justified.

IDK about 1/3 a game

but certainly 1/3 a story

farnham

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
She's not up to anything. Go watch the god damn videos.

Another thing that irked me was Arthas Valerian Mengsk. Aside from looking like a carbon copy of the good Prince of Lordaeron, he speaks in fantasy cliches.

Watch this video for example.
i watched the vids and we dont actually know what turned her into human

its probably the xel naga artifact but we also dont know if she still has power over the swarm or if there is a cerebrate that is still loyal to her.

Wings of Liberty ended with the best possible outcome for Raynor.. We dont know what will happen in Heart of the Swarm

could be the story how Kerrigan gets back to power

raphier

Banned
farnham said:
do 20 cinematics mean 20 missions ?

i hope not (still would be 2/3 of starcraft 1)
WoL has as much missions as starcraft 1. And technically it's only 1/3 of the entire game (trilogy)

Cels

I've watched all the videos...meh. Still disappointed over what happened to Kerrigan.

I guess seeing Nova's cameo was pretty cool...just reminds us all again that Starcraft Ghost is never coming around, sadly.

farnham

Banned
raphier said:
WoL has as much missions as starcraft 1. And technically it's only 1/3 of the entire game (trilogy)
yeah then im okay with it

the outcome is a good mid ending i feel

and obviously hear of the swarm will be all about kerrigan and she wont be friendly to her enemies

dunno how she will regain power but she will

Cels said:
I've watched all the videos...meh. Still disappointed over what happened to Kerrigan.

I guess seeing Nova's cameo was pretty cool...just reminds us all again that Starcraft Ghost is never coming around, sadly.
or it means that it could come after all

farnham

Banned
so according to starcraft.wikia.com

The campaign is focused on Infested Kerrigan[8] and the development of a zerg empire.[9] The campaign operates similarly to an RPG, in which Kerrigan is focused on increasing her personal power through mutations. Zerg armies protect her as she garners this power.[10] The greater her power, the more zerg she's able to control.[11] Like Wings of Liberty, the player will be presented with choices as to which missions to carry out and which units to get, but such choices won't be based on cash.[12] Both the missions and their objectives are intended to be quite different from the ones featured in Wings of Liberty.[13]

kerrigan loosing all her power makes perfect sense to me now

The Swarm got the Horde treatment.

Or maybe an analogy with Bolvar the Nice Good Lich King, benevolent overlord of the Undead Scourge, is more apt.

Either way, not the direction I'd have liked to see the Zerg go in.

farnham

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
The Swarm got the Horde treatment.

Or maybe an analogy with Bolvar the Nice Good Lich King, benevolent overlord of the Undead Scourge, is more apt.

Either way, not the direction I'd have liked to see the Zerg go in.
yeah but this is the first campaign

in warcraft 3 the undead didnt even start yet after the first campaign

Cels

Infinite Justice said:
more of the i'm powerful, oh wait something happened and i lost most of it and i have to get it back.

Looking forward to how this plays out though

familiar to anyone who's played god of war 2 and/or 3 haha

farnham

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
more of the i'm powerful, oh wait something happened and i lost most of it and i have to get it back.

Looking forward to how this plays out though
ah okay

yeah it makes gameplay sense though

it would be kinda boring to oblitarate every enemy you have with kerrigans forces

making it more RPG like is a good move imo

ccbfan

I wonder if Kerrigan is still a good guy even as she tries to gain Zerg powers. I have a feeling the good guy terrans and protoss are still gonna help her regain her power. According to crazy Zeratul she is their only hope (Don't know why not crazy Zeratul wants to kill her)

While their motives might be different I have a feeling at the end, everyone of them is gonna have the same goal. Defeat the Xel Naga.

REally don't like how they do the trilogy though. BEcause they concentrate on Terrans so early it feels kinda sucky for them.

I almost wish they went like this

Terran->Zerg->Protoss: This first bunch lead to the defeat of the Xel Naga with each part new units are added.

Xel Naga campaign -> New Xel Naga race is added.

Conclusion campaign -> 4 ten mission campaigns with new units with new enemy maybe the void or some even more crazy like the Earth humans controlling the void.

kiryogi

Banned
What can I say. I approve of this. After 4 years Raynor finds some peace. Guy deserved it.

..But will that be all for naught in the next campaign?

farnham

Banned
kiryogi said:
What can I say. I approve of this. After 4 years Raynor finds some peace. Guy deserved it.

..But will that be all for naught in the next campaign?
i see raynor dying in the next expansion

after being used and thrown away like trash by kerrigan :(

kiryogi

Banned
farnham said:
i see raynor dying in the next expansion

after being used and thrown away like trash by kerrigan :(

That is my fear indeed. Since we all have seen her treachery. But maybe they really well write her with redemption in mind. Either way, don't think there'd be any other way to kill Raynor off but by her hand. Until this finale, she's all that's been on his mind for the last 4 damn years.

Atomic

Ooooh I actually quite like that Kerrigan story line of losing it all and building it back up. Hopefully she will continue to be a bit evil.

Top Bottom