• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Wallach

It is going to sound weird but I just realized I am buying more games on Switch because I like the feel of the split/detached joycons for a lot of games. So relaxing to just sit there in a normal resting position but still have controllers in your hands. My only gripe is that they are a bit small and I say that as someone with average sized hands. Going to pick this game up after not really liking how it felt with a controller when I tried it on PC when it launched.

I'm a big fan of the split control style, but unfortunately I feel like the JoyCons themselves are probably one of the worst controllers out there. Other than the tactility of the main button island I actually don't have much good to say about them. They're slightly more tolerable with the battery packs attached, but considering how awesome the Pro controller is I never wind up using my JoyCons unless in portable mode. Wish they'd just overhaul the things entirely, it would have a knock on effect of improving the ergonomics for portable mode significantly.

The hype leading up to this release has actually roped me back into my PC file. I'm almost certain to double-dip, but I might hold off on starting a new farm until I can make use of the portability.
I ran the corporatists out of town in my first file in no time at all, which only means one thing: time to go full Joja.

I'd like to hear about controls. Certain tasks on PC like combat and fishing have me craving a controller. Other tasks like inventory management have me dreading it, as returning to the game has reminded me of just how frequently I shuffle items on and off my toolbar, especially when I'm using crafting devices or selling items. Is there simultaneous touch support of any kind? If not, this stands to be the rare exception where given a choice between my PC and Switch at home, I might prefer to stick with the PC.

Also, good OT, but the list of recent eShop recommendations that don't deserve to be buried by Stardew Valley is incomplete without Thimbleweed Park, particularly if well-written, adult character interactions that acquaint you with a whole town are a big draw of Stardew for you.

This young bloke spent 5 years of his life developing this game by his lonesome. I think I'll buy it just out of respect to his dedication

3bb2d21dd0e1f89c3209b9ae857d9fde.jpg

Fox1304

This game scares me a bit. I’ve looked at some guides and it seems like it’s a part time job by itself ...

kris.

Banned
This young bloke spent 5 years of his life developing this game by his lonesome. I think I'll buy it just out of respect to his dedication

He's been like the perfect individual post-launch, too. Always receptive of fan critique, timely with bug fixes and content addition. Zero problem giving him all my monies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is one of the best investments you can possibly make on your Switch. This game is amazing for dozens of hours.

KorrZ

Played the shit out of this on PC but very tempted to pick it up again on Switch...just seems like the perfect fit arghhh.

This game scares me a bit. I’ve looked at some guides and it seems like it’s a part time job by itself ...

Just go in blind. External resources make the game look more intimidating than it is because they are targeted at 100-hour players who have slowly but surely been introduced to all the systems. The actual experience starts simply and introduces you to new elements a few at a time. Where it differs from most games is that it doesn't stop doing this—you keep on seeing new material for much longer than usual. When you've played for a while you don't realize how much information you've accumulated about how everything works.

I don't think veteran players are very good at communicating this simplicity and pacing to new players when asked for tips, which is why my advice is to ignore the guides. I never felt like I needed to look anything up except (a) times and weather conditions for a few specific fish I was missing, and (b) undocumented things about a few specific items/interactions when I had already encountered or tried out those items. You can infer virtually everything else from what you see in-game, and the many, many, many elements of the experience come in at a gentle trickle.

I've played games where you need the wiki. This isn't one of them, at least not until you are very far in.

Morts

Please don't be a buggy mess.

I played the standard farm on PC so I'm looking forward to trying o me of the other types. Are they that different?

Fox1304

Just go in blind. External resources make the game look more intimidating than it is because they are targeted at 100-hour players who have slowly but surely been introduced to all the systems. The actual experience starts simply and introduces you to new elements a few at a time. Where it differs from most games is that it doesn't stop doing this—you keep on seeing new material for much longer than usual. When you've played for a while you don't realize how much information you've accumulated about how everything works.

I don't think veteran players are very good at communicating this simplicity and pacing to new players when asked for tips, which is why my advice is to ignore the guides. I never felt like I needed to look anything up except (a) times and weather conditions for a few specific fish I was missing, and (b) undocumented things about a few specific items/interactions when I had already encountered or tried out those items. You can infer virtually everything else from what you see in-game, and the many, many, many elements of the experience come in at a gentle trickle.

I've played games where you need the wiki. This isn't one of them, at least not until you are very far in.

Neiteio and his damn thread. This game is not a job. It's love.

Yeah I’m hooked enough by the concept and charm to go in anyway, so i’ll go blind as you said and just enjoy the ride. In any cass, if a game is too tedious or too grindy I won’t play it, so we’ll see!

now I can romance Penny all over again.
No seriously, I cannot wait for tomorrow. I've been wanting to do a whole new playthrough for a while now.

I stand (currently sitting) in awe of this persons great, great work. I hope he is happy with how his game has performed, and looks at the many Stardew Valley threads and see we love his work.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Neiteio and his damn thread. This game is not a job. It's love.
Wait is that the same dude who went ham about a switch game icon?

Now i know why that thread annoyed me so much.
He turned a game i loved into a spreadsheet xD

Luigi87

I got this day one on PC, but didn't really put much time in it at all.

Definitely getting it when it's up on the Canadian eShop!

He's been like the perfect individual post-launch, too. Always receptive of fan critique, timely with bug fixes and content addition. Zero problem giving him all my monies.
Agreed. It was disheartening reading the many comments of people trying to get a few dollars off using the different markets when it seems surprisingly cheap for the size of game. Will get straight off the UK store here

Top Bottom