• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Raven117

Gold Member
Ive heard nothing but good things, but can someone help me understand what makes these games so appealing and attractive?

I mean, just watering my plants in a game I can't say tickles me in anyway.

With what looks like no touch support, inventory management will be a pain won't it?

GameXplain is indeed reporting no touch support, and this massive oversight makes me hesitant to make a purchase. On the PC I'm swapping items on and off the bar constantly. I'm sure this game will still be a blast on the go (and people coming from Harvest Moon won't notice anything) but if I build a farm on the Switch, I'm thinking I'll have to plan it around the things a controller does well, and radically change my approach to basic things like when/where to craft and sell.

I'd appreciate insight from players who have tried the other console versions (or played on PC with a controller) on whether there is anything on consoles to make fiddling with the inventory easier, like a quick-select for tools. One of my few complaints about the game is the UI, as there are so many tools taking up so much of the bar that there aren't many slots left for the huge variety of items in your bag that are further separated by quality/rarity.

On the upside, I suppose a lack of touch functionality means there's no disadvantage to playing with detached Joy-Cons instead of handheld, which I find more comfortable for long sessions.

Mr. F

Banned
This game kind of overwhelmed me when I tried on PC, kind of paralyzed with how to go about it. Always felt like I was doing it wrong and not farming smartly and seasons passing felt like pressure, I guess.

Looking forward to giving another shot.

Never played. But I murder every animal crossing. Is there a good hunting game here? Big number of fish, bugs, etc..(non furniture) to collect?

Shahadan

Last time I didn't even use 90% of my map, basically did everything in front of my house and pond to not lose any minute. It was really ugly but efficient, but this time I'd like to build something nice like other people.

I know I won't

So is it not out in Australia yet?
Not until like midnight afaik

This game kind of overwhelmed me when I tried on PC, kind of paralyzed with how to go about it. Always felt like I was doing it wrong and not farming smartly and seasons passing felt like pressure, I guess.

Looking forward to giving another shot.
I initially felt like that as well on PC (my first month was a complete wash) but the best thing about Stardew is that it’s open ended and you can never *really* screw yourself over. If you mess up a month or a season or even an entire year you can always start over when the next season rolls around

People will tell you how to minmax your crops and things you absolutely should never ever do, but the thing that made me fall in love with Stardew was making those early mistakes and the game just calmly being like dw everything is fixable

Ravelle

Never played. But I murder every animal crossing. Is there a good hunting game here? Big number of fish, bugs, etc..(non furniture) to collect?

Except for minerals and artifacts there's no way to display them in giant glorious aquariums or bug exhibits though.

one_kill

I haven't played this before, but I'm interested in getting it. Does the game ease its players to its mechanics well? I don't want to be overwhelmed.

Glad I waited on the PS4 version so I could go in fresh on the Switch. Much easier to play on campus during breaks and such

I take it the Switch release will be the most recent build? I played on PC at launch and figured I've missed a lot of new stuff that's been added. I'm REALLY tempted to grab this tomorrow to be honest but there's no chance I'll even get to play it since I've barely started BotW (replay) and hoped to at least get some stuff done on it before Mario comes out.

I'm gonna end up buying it tomorrow no doubt, but finding time to play it is another matter.

Juice

Played PC at launch and managed to clear the community center by year three.

Will be excited to see what new build plays like.

Has anyone commented on what post launch support for the ports will be like? PC keeps getting new features but ports frozen in time?

Cerium

How are the relationships in this game? That was one of my favorite parts in Harvest Moon!

The relationships are better than Harvest Moon.

Something like Shane's heart events would never appear in a Harvest Moon in a million years.

What's the age range for this game? I've never played it. My son is 7 and loves animal crossing and Minecraft and terraria. Think he'd be able to play it?

Brizzo24

Ive heard nothing but good things, but can someone help me understand what makes these games so appealing and attractive?

I too would like to get a better understanding of how this works. How labor intensive is this game?

B/c I know so little about this game, let's assume that you have 48 crops on a 12x4 grid, like so...

Now, do you have to walk around and water each individual plant?
Do you have to then have to harvest each plant individually?

I guess I should watch some YouTube videos to make sure this is a game I am willing to invest in. I just don't like monotony

One more day!

Though, which farm should I go with? I'm feeling both the Riverland Farm and the Forest Farm. Are they recommended for a first timer? Also, can you switch between types in the middle of the game?

Vitet

Anyone knows if this game supports Spanish ? Thinking if getting this for the GF.

Yep, fully translated by the eShop page that's showing for me:
tHjJhOS.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
You might. I don't like Animal Crossing and I liked Stardew Valley a little too much.

If you don't like Harvest Moon, however, that's another story.

Cerium I just lost a ton of respect for you and won't be complimenting your beautiful Switch OTs anymore :mad:

Moondrop

Banned
I keep buying used Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games and then hardly playing them. Something about the time ticking away causes anxiety, the rapid pace of the hours reminding me that real time is passing. Gonna force myself to put a few hours into RF4 before I fall into this trap again.

I haven't played this before, but I'm interested in getting it. Does the game ease its players to its mechanics well? I don't want to be overwhelmed.

I'm interested in various people's thoughts in this direction as well.

totowhoa

Banned
Is there a way for me to easily see how this version currently differs from the one I played when it launched on PS4, if at all? I’ll probably get it either way, but I just don’t want to miss extra content

Hey sweet, my OT title made the cut! Great OP.

I'm double dipping hard on this one. Gonna be smarter on this playthrough than my first time around on PC.

Top Bottom