• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

ive got a 20 and a dilemma.

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

i have a flight coming up and would like a game to play on my switch during said trip
sell me one GAF

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

i have a flight coming up and would like a game to play on my switch during said trip
sell me one GAF
Golf Story. It's fantastic A well-written game, that's mechanically sound, with good music. Every Golf Story sale might push Nintendo to try going back to Mario Golf's RPG roots. It's probably one of my favorite games of the year.

I'd replace Axiom Verge with Steam World Dig 2. It's a much better game.

vareon

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

sell me one GAF

I don't think you can ever go wrong with any of these choices. Maybe not Thumper if you want any form of story?

D_prOdigy

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

sell me one GAF

I imagine everybody else will push you towards Golf Story or Stardew, but don't sleep on Thumper. It's pretty unique

No, yes. I'm talking about laptop gaming.

I do a lot of lite gaming on laptops, and never really considered it portable, but I guess the phrases could be used to describe it. I would rarely pull out a laptop on a bus - only to write an emergancy email. I have regularly pulled out a 3DS/Switch when traveling quite a lot.

As much as I want thumper I do want story.
So I'm down to golf story or thimbleweed

Unrelated side note.
How are Voez and deemo

Cerium

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

sell me one GAF

SDV is a time investment for the long term, for a flight I would say Golf Story is more appropriate.

Golf Story is also utterly suited for a portable. It really shouldn't be missed.

Jyester

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

sell me one GAF
Out of these I've only played Thumper (currently considering picking up SDV), but although it's a great game, for a trip I'd recommend one of the other games on your list. Thumper is intense 100% of the time, and can get a little samey.

Been there, done that. This is not the place or the time for that though.
Not sure what you are implying, but w/e.

I do a lot of lite gaming on laptops, and never really considered it portable, but I guess the phrases could be used to describe it. I would rarely pull out a laptop on a bus - only to write an emergancy email. I have regularly pulled out a 3DS/Switch when traveling quite a lot.

In all seriousness, other than the portability (no shit sherlock??) how does it really differ from the pc version? New character? New foods to grow? I've never played the original version so I'm just curious.

vareon

Not sure what you are implying, but w/e.

In all seriousness, other than the portability (no shit sherlock??) how does it really differ from the pc version? New character? New foods to grow? I've never played the original version so I'm just curious.

No, no other changes.

Portability is the main draw for many of Switch ports, and so is for this game. There's no value in saying laptop gaming is portable when the appeal of a dedicated portable device extends beyond playing anywhere.

The game is slow paced, so the ability to play it while laying on a bed, couch, or whatever position you wanted is a huge draw. It's the reason I waited for a Vita or Switch version of many indie games after all.

qko

Wasn't the Switch version supposed to have timed exclusivity for multiplayer? Not sure, but I heard that was a big feature when it was announced for Switch

Also I'm not taking my laptop to bed or the toilet then hooking it up to the TV to play it on my sofa. I've tried playing SDV with a Steam Controller and the experience was pretty awful.

HenryEen

Banned
Posted this in the other thread but didn't get any answer.

I haven't bought Switch yet, but Stardew is one of the game that interests me in getting one.

As someone who loves Harvest Moon : Back to Nature and Story Of Season : Trio of Towns (played a couple other HM titles, but these two are the most memorable one for me) for their charming dialogue, characters and cutscenes (some of the SoSToT cutscenes kinda tugs my heart), how does Stardew compares ?

nikos

Purchased eShop credit for Golf Story but never ended up buying it. Debating on this instead since I skipped it on other platforms. Probably will end up with both eventually.

I’m so excited for Stardew Valley, I’m going to pick it up tomorrow after work!

Won’t be playing it yet though, want to finish golf story first. Just got to the snow course so idk how much is left :/

jariw

So Axion Verge is big game

Axiom Verge was a game that was a planned/scheduled release way in advance and it got a retail release, so in that case it's a bigger release than the eShop-only titles that gets a release date the same week as the release.

I think it's very much up to the publisher to decide when it should release. Steamworld Dig 2 was set to release at the same time in the whole world (it backfired a bit though, since the US got it one our earlier than Europe).

I only played about 5 in game days of SDV on PS4, so the Switch version is going to consume me. Seeing the OT (Amazing job, Cerium!) has made this craving even worse. And thanks to the OT, I'm now stuck on who to pursue to marry: Abigail or Emily? Damn, this is gonna be tough. I can't wait to download this in a few hours.

Fliesen

SDV
golf story
thumper
thimbleweed
or axiom verge

sell me one GAF

i wanna say Stardew Valley. Podcasts + Stardew Valley, should make time fly.

Golf Story is great, but the gameplay is very same-y after a while, so you'll be wanting to take breaks ... As opposed to Stardew Valley, one of these games where "just one more ingame day" ends up you spending 3 more hours playing.

Posted this in the other thread but didn't get any answer.

I haven't bought Switch yet, but Stardew is one of the game that interests me in getting one.

As someone who loves Harvest Moon : Back to Nature and Story Of Season : Trio of Towns (played a couple other HM titles, but these two are the most memorable one for me) for their charming dialogue, characters and cutscenes (some of the SoSToT cutscenes kinda tugs my heart), how does Stardew compares ?
There is a ton of charm, character interaction in Stardew as well. You'll be able to develop friendships with everyone and that's a lot of fun as well. The feel is very similar in that regard.

I think you'll love it!

I only played about 5 in game days of SDV on PS4, so the Switch version is going to consume me. Seeing the OT (Amazing job, Cerium!) has made this craving even worse. And thanks to the OT, I'm now stuck on who to pursue to marry: Abigail or Emily? Damn, this is gonna be tough. I can't wait to download this in a few hours.
make them both your girlfriend, then decide.

It's cruel but you can do it. :p

Yes I believe so.

EDIT: Double-checked and yes 100 percent.

Same sex relationships are indeed possible.

Yes, you can date anyone who is eligible to date regardless of gender.

Yes, and you can also adopt a child. Unless that was a mod... I dont think it was a mod

Thanks for the replies! Great news for me. Hope the adoption thing is in the base game too.

Top Bottom