• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Brakke

Banned
can you not harvest without using the mouse cursor?

Don’t need cursor to harvest. Possibly the thing you’re trying to harvest isn’t quite ripe (things like green beans look ready before they actually are), or else some crops like kale require a scythe to harvest.

Don’t need cursor to harvest. Possibly the thing you’re trying to harvest isn’t quite ripe (things like green beans look ready before they actually are), or else some crops like kale require a scythe to harvest.

This was the opening quest where i had to harvest those parsnips. they were ready because once i used the cursor and pressed A, the quest was marked done. But the tools and even watering can would not work when i (i have the area highlight thing turned on with red square) went near them, and tried to harvest.

vern

Wasn't sure about this or golf story, but got on the eshop and ultimately chose this. Just downloaded and played 6 days. Controls are garbage and will take getting used to, but I can see myself being addicted to it for a long time. Have a flight in a few hours I'm sure it's gonna fly by.

Wasn't sure about this or gold story, but got on the eshop and ultimately chose this. Just downloaded and played 6 days. Controls are garbage and will take getting used to, but I can see myself being addicted to it for a long time. Have a flight in a few hours I'm sure it's gonna fly by.
after playing Stardrew Valley on switch though,I think I’d rather pay for Golf Story and wait for Story of Season if I don’t have much money

This was the opening quest where i had to harvest those parsnips. they were ready because once i used the cursor and pressed A, the quest was marked done. But the tools and even watering can would not work when i (i have the area highlight thing turned on with red square) went near them, and tried to harvest.

You just have to press A.

Shouldn't the square be green if anything?

You just have to press A.

Shouldn't the square be green if anything?

Maybe it was a bug but i literally tried everything and then suddenly remembered the cursor so moving cursor onto that spot and pressing A worked. Otherwise I could dig / water everything around the parsnip but not it.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I asked earlier, but what's the best way to make some decent income on the side of I'm mainly doing the cave quests?

I have a few plants growing, but I have them mainly so I can do the community center quests.

I bought this game on Steam a while ago but never started it.

Is it worth getting on Switch and playing there instead?

Tbh I'm kind of scared about starting this game, I'm not sure I have the time this game wants to steal from me.

I bought this game on Steam a while ago but never started it.

Is it worth getting on Switch and playing there instead?

Tbh I'm kind of scared about starting this game, I'm not sure I have the time this game wants to steal from me.

I say yes. I bought it month one on steam iirc. barely played. Bought it day one on ps4. barely played. On switch I've already played 4 hours which is more than both others combined.

Brakke

Banned
Any consequences for failing a request? Don't think I'll be able to catch a pufferfish for Willy.

Nah. They just disappear off your log. Opportunity cost on making them happy, I suppose, but gifting gets super easy once you have artisan goods up and running.

Vicious

Had plenty of money saved up for Summer seeds, but the traveling cart had some items that were too good to pass up. Now I'm going into Summer with only about a grand.

depward

This game is pretty fun. I'm liking the loop.

Couple of oddly bothersome things:

1) 24/28 for introductions. I have no idea where to find the other 4. Is the "reward" for this worthwhile?

2) Saving takes like, a kind of ridiculous amount of time.

Maxinas

Is story of season a game?

I have enough money lol, it's a matter of time.
Story of Seasons is the real harvest moon developed by Marvelous, while Natsume simply kept the Harvest Moon brand. There was a new SoS annouced in development for the Switch a while back.

Ventara

Nah. They just disappear off your log. Opportunity cost on making them happy, I suppose, but gifting gets super easy once you have artisan goods up and running.

Thanks, will just skip it then.

This game is pretty fun. I'm liking the loop.

Couple of oddly bothersome things:

1) 24/28 for introductions. I have no idea where to find the other 4. Is the "reward" for this worthwhile?

2) Saving takes like, a kind of ridiculous amount of time.

1.) Could be the family of four at the lab on the way to the mine? Linus is there, too. Anyways, I don't remember what the reward is, but don't sweat it. It won't expire, and you're bound to meet them throughout the course of the game eventually.

2.) Yeah, it does, though it's not too bad. About 15-20 seconds for me?

Yaranaika

I'm very surprised how unpolished the menu system and almost everything else is. Why the fuck does the inventory move from top to bottom depending on your location. This is just a massive failure of UX design. I'm still trying to get into it but everything seems so counterintuitive. I know it's an indie game but wow, Animal Crossing does it so much better. I will try a few more hours to get into it.

I finally understand why people talk mess about the fishing in this game. I'm hoping by leveling it up it will be somewhat bearable, even though I'm not exactly planning on focusing on it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
++++ If you want to do anything outside your farm, do it on a lucky day (mining, fishing...) ++++

I think I'm quite bad at this game.

Is there a song of time that can slow the day?
Two ways to allieviate runspeed blues: 1) get a horse stable built from Robin, requires some Hardwood so get your ace upgraded. 2) get the mine carts running again via the Community Center.

Both are moderately involved projects, but not outrageous.
Mine carts and a horse is all you need for getting around fast.

Are beehouses good investments? And are tappers better placed in Maple Trees rather than others?

My goal is to have a couple of beehouses plus a coop (and hopefully some chickens!) by the end of summer.
Do not make standard honey. Grow a flower(the priciest in that season) in close proximity to beehouses to get flavoured honey. It's worth way more.

Tappers should be on every tree type because you need different syrup for different recipes.

I finally understand why people talk mess about the fishing in this game. I'm hoping by leveling it up it will be somewhat bearable, even though I'm not exactly planning on focusing on it.
Fishing is one of the easiest mini games ever. Just get a decent fishing rod, bait and learn to adapt to the different fish behavior.

ryushe

I'm very surprised how unpolished the menu system and almost everything else is. Why the fuck does the inventory move from top to bottom depending on your location. This is just a massive failure of UX design. I'm still trying to get into it but everything seems so counterintuitive. I know it's an indie game but wow, Animal Crossing does it so much better. I will try a few more hours to get into it.
You can lock the inventory in place. The option is in the menu.

Did this almost immediately since, yes, it's extremely annoying.

I may have fucked up here big time. I forgot how many days were in a season, thinking there was 30 instead of 28 I went and brought a load of seeds thinking they would all grow.

Well I'm on day 24 now and I'm not sure if my potatoes are going to grow in time or not.

I was initially turned off by the bad save times and UX, but I adapted very quickly to the UX(unlike darkest dungeon on consoles). Loving this. I think the key is just to relax and enjoy, not think about it as min max or absolute fail/success.

Tunahead

I may have fucked up here big time. I forgot how many days were in a season, thinking there was 30 instead of 28 I went and brought a load of seeds thinking they would all grow.

Well I'm on day 24 now and I'm not sure if my potatoes are going to grow in time or not.

Potatoes are a 6 day crop. If you planted them on 22nd or earlier, they'll grow. Otherwise you're sadly out of luck.

Oh man need to upgrade these tools.

'to upgrade tools, you need copper bars'
Alrighty, I'll just buy some copper and.... what.
'well you need a furnace to turn copper ore into copper bars.
Ok, where do I get the furnace?
'You get the blueprint to build the furnace when you get some copper ore.'
But I've got some copper ore from the shop.
'Well you don't get it like that, you get the copper ore blueprint by finding copper ore in the mine.'
Ok, I got the blueprint, now I need this and hey I built my furnace but of course it needs coal. Try to buy coal, but the blacksmith closes at 4pm for some reason, so wait for the next day and buy some coal, and eventually create enough copper bars to upgrade my pickaxe, hooray.
'Takes two days to upgrade your tools'
WHAT

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Glad I read this OT before buying. Odd controls, poor UI and long load/save times would've driven me insane.

Guess I'll hold off and keep playing BotW.

Thanks, folks.

Mr_Moogle

I can see why people saying this game is addictive. I can't put this game down. I just keep saying "one more day" and now I've been playing like 5 hours.

My crops grew for the 27th which gave me a couple of days to plan out my farm going into summer. I entered summer with 10k which is way more than when I played originally on pc.

The only problem I'm facing now 3 days in to summer is I've planted way too much, it's hard to keep everything watered without using most of my day.

I went for about 4 lines of hops mostly for looks as I'm not min maxing, but they are such a ball ache to water. My tomatoes I've spaced out ready for the decent sprinklers but for the moment I'm still watering them by hand.

I'm playing the hilltop farm this time as when I played on pc there wasn't even different types of farms available. I'm loving how it looks and having to plan out differently, also looking forward to getting a chicken coop on the hill as I'm hoping the cliffs will act as natural barriers and I won't need many fences at all.

The only problem I have is the quarry is absolutely useless, I was hoping to make it my go too for minerals as I never enjoyed the caves much. So far in just over a month I've got maybe 20 copper and 5 coal from it so I've had to resort to the cave.

Fliesen

Oh man need to upgrade these tools.

'to upgrade tools, you need copper bars'
Alrighty, I'll just buy some copper and.... what.
'well you need a furnace to turn copper ore into copper bars.
Ok, where do I get the furnace?
'You get the blueprint to build the furnace when you get some copper ore.'
But I've got some copper ore from the shop.
'Well you don't get it like that, you get the copper ore blueprint by finding copper ore in the mine.'
Ok, I got the blueprint, now I need this and hey I built my furnace but of course it needs coal. Try to buy coal, but the blacksmith closes at 4pm for some reason, so wait for the next day and buy some coal, and eventually create enough copper bars to upgrade my pickaxe, hooray.
'Takes two days to upgrade your tools'
WHAT

the fact that the blacksmith closes shop at 4pm is one of my biggest pet peeves, too.

Like, there's days you're going to be spending exclusively in the mines, and if you don't make it back out by 4pm, you'll have to waste time cracking open all those geodes the following day.
So either you miss out on valuable mining time / progress on "mining day".
Or you'll have to waste time on (mining day+1)
* waiting until 9:00AM for the blacksmith to open shop
* cracking open the geodes
* taking the minerals found within back to your farm, putting them in chests or selling them (you don't wanna be carrying THOSE around the entire day, now do you?)

It's why i don't feel bad about marrying the girl that the blacksmith is crushing on. :p

My crops grew for the 27th which gave me a couple of days to plan out my farm going into summer. I entered summer with 10k which is way more than when I played originally on pc.

The only problem I'm facing now 3 days in to summer is I've planted way too much, it's hard to keep everything watered without using most of my day.

I went for about 4 lines of hops mostly for looks as I'm not min maxing, but they are such a ball ache to water. My tomatoes I've spaced out ready for the decent sprinklers but for the moment I'm still watering them by hand.

I'm playing the hilltop farm this time as when I played on pc there wasn't even different types of farms available. I'm loving how it looks and having to plan out differently, also looking forward to getting a chicken coop on the hill as I'm hoping the cliffs will act as natural barriers and I won't need many fences at all.

The only problem I have is the quarry is absolutely useless, I was hoping to make it my go too for minerals as I never enjoyed the caves much. So far in just over a month I've got maybe 20 copper and 5 coal from it so I've had to resort to the cave.

Seems like all that advance knowledge and planning really made you get ahead of yourself, or rather, ahead of your technological capabilities.
Maybe, after the first harvest, downsize your fields a bit, until you actually do have the highest level watering can and sprinklers.
The fact that you waste so much time on farming might actually slow you down on making progress in the mines.

Ventara

Speaking of the shops, another thing I find annoying is when Pierre's store is open but he's not at the counter. And the thing is he's right there at the isles. Like, step over here and sell me some seeds dammit! lol

It took me until Fall to figure out that you don’t have to walk all the way to the Community Center to check the ingredients needed for bundles 😑😑😑😑

Just Press B to open your Inventory and move the cursor the little tree book on the right side for those that waste time walking all the way over there every time like I did >_>

Speaking of the shops, another thing I find annoying is when Pierre's store is open but he's not at the counter. And the thing is he's right there at the isles. Like, step over here and sell me some seeds dammit! lol

Gus does the same thing when he decides it’s a good time to clean a mug for 8 hours on Sundays. Try interacting with the register. It works at the Saloon, it might work at the store too.

RulkezX

Zero effort was put into taking advantage of the platform. The controls are actually annoying me now. They 100% need to patch in the ability to drop stuff and cancel out of crafting.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The problem with this game is that it’s almost too good.
pzOu7Gm.jpg

swimbuff

The controls for this could be better. Once I got over that hump holy shit this game is like crack. I started playing Friday evening and kept going “just one more day” until I realized it was 7am on Saturday morning. Going to get some sleep now only so I can farm more later. The numbers, they keep going up!

What is a good thing to do early game? I'm fishing mostly and selling those fish off, then I buy new seeds at Pierre's store. I feel a little overwhelmed to be honest and I'm lacking a clear goal.

Ventara

Gus does the same thing when he decides it's a good time to clean a mug for 8 hours on Sundays. Try interacting with the register. It works at the Saloon, it might work at the store too.

Sadly not. It just tells you to wait for him, though the one time I did, after 2 hours he just walked to the back and completely ignored me even though it was still store hours. Guy's a total slacker. No wonder Joja is taking over.

What is a good thing to do early game? I'm fishing mostly and selling those fish off, then I buy new seeds at Pierre's store. I feel a little overwhelmed to be honest and I'm lacking a clear goal.

Outside of farming, I did a mix of mining/fishing/foraging. Don't let it overwhelm you. None of it is mandatory. Just take care of your farm and do what you feel like afterwards

Bliddo

Set your own goal and don't sweat it too much. The game is about escaping from the daily grind, so there is no win or lose state, just relax and enjoy it.

Mr_Moogle

Glad I read this OT before buying. Odd controls, poor UI and long load/save times would've driven me insane.

Guess I'll hold off and keep playing BotW.

Thanks, folks.

It would be a shame to miss out on this game for those reasons.

It takes about 2 seconds to get used to the UI and controls.

There is a 15-20 second load at the end of each farming day but it's really not a huge issue.

starmud

Game is amazing, for being my double dip. While I enjoy playing at my Mac, it’s much nicer having a game like this with a handheld option.

I think some of the negativity may be people who are new? I remember my first time playing and there’s little hand holding... eventually you learn the game is a sand box, getting started can feel confusing af.

I will say the controls could have used a cheat sheet. Some of the button options aren’t natural feeling at first with selection but it dosent take long to learn if you spend a few minutes doing a run down with the controls.

I had been having problems getting enough coal...

The thing that lets you make coal from wood is worth its weight in gold!

This is taking over my life!

swimbuff

For the whole summer I was wondering when the other farm buildings were going to unlock for me since I’ve been stuck with the coop for a long time. Turns out you could button over to the right to see the other buildings lol. Fucking shit. I can finally start milking some cows come the fall, if you know what I’m saying.

pbsapeer

Banned
IhavenoideawhatI'mdoing.jpg

Feels very overwhelming trying to work out everything I need to do. Can't even find the 28 people to speak to which is annoying. Got 23 so far but didn't realise that speaking to a shop owner didn't count. I physically have to go round the counter to get the introduction thing.

Berordn

What crop did you guys use? I'm thinking of beans and cauliflower I guess.

You'll actually want to grow a little of everything for cooking and the community center, but for starting out and making fast money Parsnips and Beans are good I think.

Top Bottom