• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Is there a reason I can't highlight some of the items in the crafting menu? For example I have a blueprint for a ring but when I got to the crafting menu to see what I need to make it, I'm unable to move the cursor on it, it just skips across to the next item or down to the inventory list.

Fliesen

Any tips on how to get the most money in the 1st year / season?

I don't have an excel sheet to back it up but:

Keep investing in your farm's production.
Like, don't bother getting a coop, or a barn.

a coop costs 4000g. 4 chickens cost 3200g. An egg sells for 50g (depending on size and quality).
So for 7200g you'll get revenue of 200g a day.

That doesn't mean you should overstretch yourself with regards to farming either, as you'll need to grow your farm in accordance with your technical capabilities.
You don't want to be dropping to 1/3 energy each single day from watering your plants, that'll severely impede your progress in other areas of the game.

Like, stick with the "invest money in backpacks upgrades and seeds, grow your farm - use the time off to mine for ores, which you'll use to upgrade your tools to make you a more efficient farmer" loop at first.

Stuff like building a relationship can be done once your income's at a comfortable level. As soon as you can "mass produce" gems (like Diamonds, a universal like) and you optimize your gift making around making gifts on people's birthday, giving them items they love - you'll make much faster progress with the villagers than handing them daffodils in Spring 1.

Lexxism

No way to store those stone, wood etc in a storage? Or I guess it will sometime but just on my backpack for the mean time?

Fliesen

No way to store those stone, wood etc in a storage? Or I guess it will sometime but just on my backpack for the mean time?

???
you mean a chest? 50 wood makes a chest that holds 36 stacks of items. They can be placed outside your house and colored so you know where you put your seeds, fertilizer, construction material, tools, food items, etc.

you can even place a chest on the pier and store your fishing rod there.

Chopper

IhavenoideawhatI'mdoing.jpg

Feels very overwhelming trying to work out everything I need to do. Can't even find the 28 people to speak to which is annoying. Got 23 so far but didn't realise that speaking to a shop owner didn't count. I physically have to go round the counter to get the introduction thing.
He actually does. He was the last person I unlocked. Had to speak to him from his side of the counter though.

Ventara

He actually does. He was the last person I unlocked. Had to speak to him from his side of the counter though.

I think he meant speaking to the shop owner across the counter doesn't count. As he and you both said, you have to talk to him behind the counter for it to count.

Fliesen

btw, you can tell which people you have already introduced yourself to. Look at the "Social" tab in the menu.

People you've not met yet do show up, but have "???" as their names.

elseanio

Really disappointed in the UI. Why can't I use touch controls in the inventory? For some reason, I am struggling to highlight the ring and the campfire. When I press down to get to them, it jumps straight to my equipment bar.

Fliesen

Does this game compare to Sim city in any way?

not at all, apart from the "earn -> reinvest / grow -> earn more" loop.

As opposed to Sim City, Stardew Valley is pretty much all about manual labor. (apart form some QoL improvements you get later - like sprinklers or a wife / husband who feeds your lifestock.)
In Sim City you can just watch your city grow, steadily earning you income.
In Stardew Valley you plant seeds, water them every day, pick the individual plants, and go back to the store to buy new seeds.

Lexxism

???
you mean a chest? 50 wood makes a chest that holds 36 stacks of items. They can be placed outside your house and colored so you know where you put your seeds, fertilizer, construction material, tools, food items, etc.

you can even place a chest on the pier and store your fishing rod there.
Is that available already on your blueprint? If not, how much it cost to buy one?

Fliesen

Is that available already on your blueprint? If not, how much it cost to buy one?

I believe you have access to them immediately. collect 50 wood and press X, it's gotta be up there.
xcrafting.jpg.pagespeed.ic.75h1nIIAzP.jpg

epmode

Really disappointed in the UI. Why can't I use touch controls in the inventory? For some reason, I am struggling to highlight the ring and the campfire. When I press down to get to them, it jumps straight to my equipment bar.

The UI controls need to be patched. Switch to pointer controls in the meantime.

The kinda weird UI can be explained by the fact that the game was designed around mouse+keyboard input. Controller support feels like a bit of a hack.

elseanio

The UI controls need to be patched. Switch to pointer controls in the meantime.

The kinda weird UI can be explained by the fact that the game was designed around mouse+keyboard input. Controller support feels like a bit of a hack.

Ahhh, thanks for the tip.

Wasn't this also out on PS4? Surely these issues would have been resolved with that port.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
there's no meta time limit right?

i know the day-to-day and energy limits, but can i just do whatever forever and not worry about year-long deadlines ?

Mikke

Is there a reason I can't highlight some of the items in the crafting menu? For example I have a blueprint for a ring but when I got to the crafting menu to see what I need to make it, I'm unable to move the cursor on it, it just skips across to the next item or down to the inventory list.
The reason is that menu controls are broken right now. You can switch to pointer controls and move the cursor to the ring that way.

zigg

I don't get the fishing controls. I can charge my line and throw it out, but I don't know what to do to catch.

Ventara

I don't get the fishing controls. I can charge my line and throw it out, but I don't know what to do to catch.

The moment you hear the beep with the exclamation point, you need to press Y. You only have a second or so, so you need to pay attention. After that, assuming what you caught is a fish and not some junk, a mini-game will pop up where you have to keep a green bar on the fish as it moves around.

Strider

The moment you hear the beep with the exclamation point, you need to press Y. .

This has never worked for me so I think it's probably bugged for some people? no idea... Or maybe it's tied to some other control option who knows. But I'd Press Y when I heard the sound but nothing would happen.

Fishing only works for me when I hold down Y while the line is in the water, then let go of the button when I hear the beep sound. So if simply pressing Y isn't working for anyone, try what I do instead and see if that works.

Fliesen

This has never worked for me so I think it's probably bugged for some people? no idea... Or maybe it's tied to some other control option who knows. But I'd Press Y when I heard the sound but nothing would happen.

Fishing only works for me when I hold down Y while the line is in the water, then let go of the button when I hear the beep sound. So if simply pressing Y isn't working for anyone, try what I do instead and see if that works.

If your fishing skill is too low for the fish that just bit, the timeframe for catching it would be incredibly small - so don't fish during rain or night times at the early stages of the game. (because these 'special' times have higher chances of catching 'special' fish, which are harder to catch)
A high level fish, like an eel, might just bite, insta-get-away, and leave you with just a piece of seaweed.

Fishing works like this:
* Hold Y to cast the sinker, let go of Y
* wait for the obvious signal that a fish has bitten (not just some tiny wiggle. the bite is OBVIOUS) - Hit Y
* complete the "fishing mini game": try to keep the little fish within the green marker. - which you can raise by repeatedly tapping Y, or lower by... not tapping Y.

I'm interested too, can I make mistakes in this game and take my time ?

The game has no real end, anything you would have liked to do during Spring of year one, you can do during Spring of year two.

arimanius

I may have fucked up here big time. I forgot how many days were in a season, thinking there was 30 instead of 28 I went and brought a load of seeds thinking they would all grow.

Well I'm on day 24 now and I'm not sure if my potatoes are going to grow in time or not.

I did the same. I planted a ton of cauliflower and not playing this game before I didn't know how long Spring was and what would happen when summer hit. Now I know. :(

KingBroly

Banned
I guess I'm at a loss for what I'm supposed to be doing in this game. I finally sold something by putting those carrots (?) in the box. Not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing with the resources I'm getting

Rmagnus

Banned

There should be an ! On top of the head when you heard the sound

How do you crack open the geodes? i go to the counter and i select them but nothing happens, and i can't put them on the anvil either as the picture suggests?

Cyanity

Banned
Trying oh so very hard to avoid buying this game right now. It's digital crack. Like, normally if I'm going to spend 100+ hours in a game (Dark Souls comes to mind), then it's going to take a couple months. Not Stardew Valley. I think I had over 100 hours into the game THE WEEK it came out back on PC.

Stardew Valley isn't like other games. It'll suck you in and spit you out 100 hours later, blinking in confusion as you wonder where the hell you are and what day it is. You've been warned.

Lexxism

So, there are boulders blocking the path going to the mine. I would assume I need an upgraded pick axe to destroy it? What are the levels of tools? And what's needed to destroy the one near the mine?

-GJ-

So, there are boulders blocking the path going to the mine. I would assume I need an upgraded pick axe to destroy it? What are the levels of tools? And what's needed to destroy the one near the mine?
I think the mine opens after 5 in-game days

Morts

Fishing seems way better than in the PC version. I did the river map this time and I still have plenty of space. Haven't built any buildings yet though.

Brakke

Banned
How do you crack open the geodes? i go to the counter and i select them but nothing happens, and i can't put them on the anvil either as the picture suggests?

That’s the process. It costs 25 gold per geode cracked and you need to have room in your inventory (remember that the geode you’re holding needs a slot open to return to).

Fliesen

That’s the process. It costs 25 gold per geode cracked and you need to have room in your inventory (remember that the geode you’re holding needs a slot open to return to).

yeah, that's probably the issue here.

If all your inventory slots are full, the blacksmith won't "accept" the geode, as there's no room for whatever is in the geode to go into your inventory.

brerwolfe

Or close the game and reopen.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
there's no meta time limit right?

i know the day-to-day and energy limits, but can i just do whatever forever and not worry about year-long deadlines ?

That's the best thing about this game - there's virtually nothing you can permanently mess up or miss, besides (very very) small exceptions not worth mentioning.

You can absolutely play and explore at your own pace without fear of missing anything at all. So fish, mine, farm, talk to people - spend your days doing whatever you want. Although you may need to wait around for another year to get a shot at season-specific stuff :)

Without spoiling anything, there's several clever ways the game has designed time-sensitive events and deadlines that you can still redo or retry if you missed them initially. It lets you feel like you're "on the clock" and managing your time, but without the "gamer stress" of making a mistake.

There's a "soft deadline" you're building towards that happens in year 3, but even that can be repeated later, if you don't like your outcome.

Coricus

Caught up in a lot if games now, but very intrigued. Do I have to play this every day? To take care of my farm etc?

No, it's not daily, it uses an accelerated in game day-night cycle that's unaffected by real time. Think less Animal Crossing and more Minecraft/Terraria/Xenoblade time wise.

You'll be fine not checking in constantly, it doesn't do anything while the game is off.

Top Bottom