• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley's word of mouth sales seem insane

Former Marvelous guy said on a podcast recently (after the success of Stardew Valley) that he had lobbied internally to get more of their stuff on Steam, but it never got much traction because he was the only one really pushing for it.

Also mentioned that Valve asked Marvelous to do a Steam version of Harvest Moon, apparently Valve was trying to court Japanese developers to get more Japanese games on Steam. Marvelous wasn't interested in it.

Not sure if I should mention the podcast (not sure if he was allowed to be saying that), but it was a former guest on the 8-4 play podcast.

Well seeing the numbers for Stardew Valley, one can hope some folks at Marvelous are trying to lobby for Story of Seasons to show up on Steam in the future.

DocSeuss

It ain't indie, but go for Digimon Cyber Slueth. It's like the most refreshing take on Pokemon that I've played in years.

I ALREADY HAVE. I was gonna finish it tonight but instead I wrote an article for a magazine and now I'm going to bed.

This guy should add DLC that lets you capture and battle weird creatures and take his true form as King of Steam.

Yessss.

A good Pokemon clone that expands on the formula would be amazing.

If I wasn't busy on something better, I would do it myself.

ZeroX03

Banned
So it's really good? How's performance? The last decade of Harvest Moon has been games with shitty performance, average visuals and weird/stupid gameplay additions. It's kind of incredible it's taken someone so long to properly cater to this market. What are some other series that have been poorly served for years?

I'm interested in the game, although I did immediately see that the dev had traced RPG Maker assets.

It ain't indie, but go for Digimon Cyber Slueth. It's like the most refreshing take on Pokemon that I've played in years.

tbh it's a lot more like a traditional RPG, and it's really just iterating on the older Digimon titles with a new visual style and proper storytelling. It's still a very different beast from Pokemon. Gives me nostalgia for the Wonderswan Digimon games, which were actually half decent.

jediyoshi

For some reason I believe this has actual popular word of mouth among streamers whereas The Culling feels like they paid streamers to cover it

Sandfox

Following the success of this game has been interesting.
The only thing that game has in common with Pokemon is the fact that they are both RPGs with monsters.
A faithful Pokemon clone that isnt ripping the original Pokemon off would sell a lot on PC.
That sounds easier said than done.

ZeroX03

Banned
A Pokemon clone would require one fantastic art team, at the very least. Not to mention you're juggling both a compelling single player and online experience.

There's also still being good Pokemon games made, not the case for Harvest Moon. The last high point for the series was FoMT, which was 13 years ago.

Sandfox

A Pokemon clone would require one fantastic art team, at the very least. Not to mention you're juggling both a compelling single player and online experience.

There's also still being good Pokemon games made, not the case for Harvest Moon. The last high point for the series was FoMT, which was 13 years ago.
The 3DS games have gotten positive reactions.

Bought it but sadly haven't had time to play it yet.

Wonder if part of the success is that it runs on very low end systems.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 3DS games have gotten positive reactions.

They're okay, but I don't think many people disagree that FoMT was the last peak in terms of gameplay. They haven't hit that sweet spot in a while. And the performance is ghastly. I can't play them because of it, and I'm not one who's overly sensitive to those sort of things.

dity

I ALREADY HAVE. I was gonna finish it tonight but instead I wrote an article for a magazine and now I'm going to bed.

I eagerly await my partner getting home since we always play it together.

tbh it's a lot more like a traditional RPG, and it's really just iterating on the older Digimon titles with a new visual style and proper storytelling. It's still a very different beast from Pokemon. Gives me nostalgia for the Wonderswan Digimon games, which were actually half decent.

The only thing that game has in common with Pokemon is the fact that they are both RPGs with monsters.

And what, it's automatically not like Pokemon because it doesn't have gyms and an elite 4 or something? It doesn't make the cut?

You start off by choosing one of three monsters, the monsters can evolve, they're in your party and can be switched out during battle (you don't fight), you can put them in what is essentially a daycare, you can feed them, you fight what is essentially other trainers, you can even have double-battles where another "trainer" assists you, you can battle through colosseums, and you have a big world to explore. It's pretty damn similar.

Honestly I think it's better than Pokemon. It has fun, difficult boss battles and the case/mission format fits well. Also I am unfamiliar with 90% of the Digimon in the game so digivolving and fighting new monsters is exciting instead of like "ah yeah it's X, whatever".

ameleco

Wow. He's a multi millionaire already even with deductions of steam/publisher! Congrats to the guy! He's earned it and now never has to work again lol

Also I have it and it's amazing. Anyone who likes Harvest Moon type games at all should get it because it's really good.

ZeroX03

Banned
And what, it's automatically not like Pokemon because it doesn't have gyms and an elite 4 or something? It doesn't make the cut?

You start off by choosing one of three monsters, the monsters can evolve, they're in your party and can be switched out during battle (you don't fight), you can put them in what is essentially a daycare, you can feed them, you fight what is essentially other trainers, you can even have double-battles where another "trainer" assists you, you can battle through colosseums, and you have a big world to explore. It's pretty damn similar.

Honestly I think it's better than Pokemon. It has fun, difficult boss battles and the case/mission format fits well. Also I am unfamiliar with 90% of the Digimon in the game so digivolving and fighting new monsters is exciting instead of like "ah yeah it's X, whatever".

God, I really don't want to get into this Digimon vs Pokemon bullshit again. They're both very different games that aim for very different things.

Sandfox

I eagerly await my partner getting home since we always play it together.

While they both have you raising monsters, everything else about the games isn't all that similar. Digimon is more SMT than Pokemon. This isn't the place to really delve into this though.

Ryuuga

Banned
I recommend this game to anyone even remotely interested, I really can't throw enough praise it's way. The developer's dedication to fixes since release has been nothing short of inspiring.

dity

God, I really don't want to get into this Digimon vs Pokemon bullshit again. They're both very different games that aim for very different things.

While they both have you raising monsters, everything else about the games isn't all that similar. Digimon is more SMT than Pokemon. This isn't the place to really delve into this though.

Hey, maybe you're both right. I do find Digimon CS to be a lot more fun. It's sort of a Sonic All-Stars Transformed vs Mario Kart thing. The big established franchise could probably learn a thing or two from the fresh newcomer.

Eh, honestly I think it's sort-of relevant. I mean, we have a Stardew vs Harvest Moon vs Story of Seasons thing to go on here. People seem to think Stardew is a lot more fun and fresh than tired old Harvest Moon.

Sandfox

Hey, maybe you're both right. I do find Digimon CS to be a lot more fun. It's sort of a Sonic All-Stars Transformed vs Mario Kart thing. The big established franchise could probably learn a thing or two from the fresh newcomer.

Eh, honestly I think it's sort-of relevant. I mean, we have a Stardew vs Harvest Moon vs Story of Seasons thing to go on here. People seem to think Stardew is a lot more fun and fresh than tired old Harvest Moon.

Cyber Sleuth is the fifth game in a series of games with the same gameplay so its not exactly a fresh newcomer.

Sheroking

"Tired old" Harvest Moon has morphed into this limited, dull, chibi-art style having pile of shit.

Stardrew is doing some cool things, but I'll take the "soul" of classic Harvest Moon games like 64 and Back to Nature over it any day.

(Avatar quote here).

SJRB

Gold Member
Well, it IS a good game.

Exactly this.

Also, Dan from Dansgaming has been streaming it for a week, and other high-profile Twitch streamers like Lirik [+/- 30.000 viewers] have been playing it regularly too.

Twitch is a HUGE influence.

dity

"Tired old" Harvest Moon has morphed into this limited, dull, chibi-art style having pile of shit.

Stardrew is doing some cool things, but I'll take the "soul" of classic Harvest Moon games like 64 and Back to Nature over it any day.

(Avatar quote here).

It's all about Friends of Mineral Town for me.

We got the original and Dawn/Dusk in the west.

Fresh fresh fresh.

Miletius

Really seems to scratch that Harvest Moon itch combined with the tons of stuff to do ala Minecraft. I think that's one reason why it seems to have such success.

Plus, like others have mentioned for some reason there are a lot of streamers playing it right now. Like way more than I would have anticipated for a little indie game.

bigmac996

Really happy for the developer of this. He's been working on it for ages, and to see it all pay off must be more satisfying than anything. Here's hoping he has it in him to do more from here.

Hektor

Seems to be Undertale all over again.

Seeing some niche Indiegames like this exploding so hard warmths my heart.

Lanrutcon

Bought it to support to the 1 man developer, but it didn't click for me. I'll sit down and give it another go at some point. I think other games have conditioned me to the point where I find it hard to get into relaxing games.

peakish

I'll probably pick it up this summer. One of my strongest gaming memories is playing the SNES Harvest Moon during one summer vacation as a child and I don't want to fight against the nostalgia of long, bright summer nights being spent taking care of a farm.

Maybe I should finally pick up a Rune Factory game in the mean time.

Jimrpg

Bought it to support to the 1 man developer, but it didn't click for me. I'll sit down and give it another go at some point. I think other games have conditioned me to the point where I find it hard to get into relaxing games.

This is a bit of a weird reason to support a developer. If the game sells 1,000,000 copies the guy will stand to make $15m, which is all well and good but if anyone needs support its probably the games with larger teams that don't sell as many copies.

Anyways added Stardew Valley to my wishlist. Looks awesome! It looks like Sim Farm and Terraria.

Played it on the weekend, really awesome game.

Crazy that the game was developed by only one person, mad props and well deserved.

Now to get to the bottom of that mine...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Rightfully so, this game is incredible.
I haven't been this hooked on a game in a long time.

Word to the wise though, install the sprint mod.

danm999

Every 12 months or so I find myself asking "Man I used to love playing Harvest Moon. I wish there was a good one of those I could access easily on PC" and it seems like I wasn't the only one thinking this.

PhilGPT

Seen a lot of people talking about this game and I picked it up on the weekend. I don't even like Harvest Moon-type games, but I loved this one.
It definitely nailed that "just one more turn" addictive gameplay I got from Civ games.
Awesome game, and the dev seems great, taking all kinds of player feedback and quickly bringing out patches to fix bugs/add new features.
Big studios could learn a lot from this dev/game.

Zafir

Yeah I've seen quite a few people buy it whom I didn't even think liked that kind of game.

I'll have to give it a go at some point.

I can't help but think I'll play it and just want to play Rune Factory instead though. Always kind of preferred those games to Harvest Moon, and Rune Factory 4 was fantastic.

Meneses

I was never a big fan of this type of games but I decided to try it and i'm absolutely loving it.

And for all the recent controversy regarding (indie) game pricing, I will say that this game being only $15 really helped me decide to take a chance on it.

Top Bottom