• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield could be targeting a Q1 2022 release date, according to a new report

Status
Not open for further replies.

3liteDragon

Starfield is the enigmatic new IP from Bethesda Game Studios, and it could be on the horizon.
starfield_logo.png

Source: Bethesda

What you need to know​

• Starfield is an upcoming Sci-Fi single-player RPG from Bethesda Game Studios, who are part of Microsoft
  • Game journalist Jeff Grubb confirmed some prior speculation that Starfield might hit a Q1 2022 launch window
  • Grubb also recently reported that Starfield will be exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox and Windows PC platforms
This past weekend, we offered a report from industry heavyweight Jeff Grubb, "confirming" the fact that Starfield is indeed exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox and Windows PC platforms. There was also a range of new leaked screenshots, purported to be from 2018, alongside whispers that Starfield could launch sooner than expect. Kinda Funny Games' Blessing Adeoye Jr. and VentureBeat's Jeff Grubb have put their names to another major Starfield report, detailing the game's launch window.

It seems that Starfield could be targeting a Q1 2022 release date, echoing similar rumors from across the net that the upcoming sci-fi RPG is closer than we might've otherwise expected. The details come from an exchange between Grubb and Adeoye Jr, with Grubb confirming in a tweet prior speculation on Kinda Funny Games Cast that the game was targeting a Q1 2022 launch window.

There were some previous rumors earlier in the year that the game was targeting a Holiday 2021 launch window. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the date got bumped slightly given the on-going pandemic.

(Timestamped)

Very little is known about Starfield, besides what we can glean from a few unverified screenshots. The game seems as though it could have custom spaceship construction, set in a vast, alien sci-fi open world. We know that it's a single-player RPG, built on an upgraded version of Bethesda's Creation Engine, famously used in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises.

We expect the game to hit Xbox Game Pass at launch too, bolstering the value of Microsoft's nascent all-you-can-eat gaming service, joining xCloud cloud streaming alongside it. Despite the fact game director Todd Howard described the game as "next-generation" in the past, there's a decent chance it could also be a cross-gen title. There's an on-going chip shortage, making access to new-gen Xbox Series X and Series S consoles difficult.

Additionally, xCloud is still based on Xbox One architecture, meaning that it would need an Xbox One version to join the cloud streaming service component of Xbox Game Pass. Given the blockbuster quality of Bethesda's previous games, it's fair to assume Starfield could wind up as one of the best Xbox games to date, but we won't know for sure until we get our hands on the mythical title.

If Starfield is launching in Q1 2022, there's a good chance it will also break cover during the E3 2021 digital showcases in June.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am pretty sure every holiday 2021 release aside from BF6 and CoD is getting delayed to Q1 2022. Horizon, Starfield, and maybe even Halo. No one is going to push their luck after seeing Cyberpunk's disastrous launch last year. Console players have gotten a taste of refunds and getting away with bad launches is going to be much tougher going forward.

Fredrik

The snowball is rolling now, I hope they don’t mess this up, just needs an awesome E3 showcase and the hype will do the rest. Bring the magic Todd!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This was exactly my prediction. Forza horizon in september/October.

Halo in November..20th anniversary.

Starfield Q1 2022. Big 6 months.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I am pretty sure every holiday 2021 release aside from BF6 and CoD is getting delayed to Q1 2022. Horizon, Starfield, and maybe even Halo. No one is going to push their luck after seeing Cyberpunk's disastrous launch last year. Console players have gotten a taste of refunds and getting away with bad launches is going to be much tougher going forward.
I don't see the connection to Cyberpunk. That game needed a lot more work than just bumping it to first quarter of this year plus there were other factors involved like the game being too demanding for old-gen hardware. Customers are always going to be hungry for Q4 releases, especially with more people having next-gen consoles by the end of the year.

Personally I'm still hoping that we'll get Horizon 2 and Forza Horizon 5 this year.

I say release it when the game is the very best it can be. To have any hopes of being a bigger player this generation a big exclusive game like Starfield has to really hit. Let’s just say it releases to incredible acclaim and is a clear GOTY candidate...this is going to move the needle a ton for Xbox. Especially if they can slam home to the general populace the fact that these sorts of titles are DAY ONE ON GAME PASS.

The rollout of Xbox next gen exclusives has been painfully slow for Xbox, few would have issue with that statement. Fortunately for Xbox, the quality of the Xbox Series Consoles (and ecosystems, like Quick Resume etc) and the incredible support of BC (FPS BOOST), as well as Game Pass has really prevented any tangible damage from the exclusive drought.

But this is only going to persist for so long. They really need to find the right balance of getting new exclusives out in a timely way AND achieve a high level of quality. Shall we just say that XBOX hasn’t exactly crushed this formula for a while?

All I know is that this is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

Lordy, how many times did I say “Xbox” in that post?

Last edited:

Markio128

I say release it when the game is the very best it can be. To have any hopes of being a bigger player this generation a big exclusive game like Starfield has to really hit. Let’s just say it releases to incredible acclaim and is a clear GOTY candidate...this is going to move the needle a ton for Xbox. Especially if they can slam home to the general populace the fact that these sorts of titles are DAY ONE ON GAME PASS.

The rollout of Xbox next gen exclusives has been painfully slow for Xbox, few would have issue with that statement. Fortunately for Xbox, the quality of the Xbox Series Consoles (and ecosystems, like Quick Resume etc) and the incredible support of BC (FPS BOOST), as well as Game Pass has really prevented any tangible damage from the exclusive drought.

But this is only going to persist for so long. They really need to find the right balance of getting new exclusives out in a timely way AND achieve a high level of quality. Shall we just say that XBOX hasn’t exactly crushed this formula for a while?

All I know is that this is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

Lordy, how many times did I say “Xbox” in that post?
7 times I believe.
Just for balance:
Switch, Switch, Switch, Switch, Switch, Switch, Switch
Playstation, PlayStation, PlayStation, Playstation, PlayStation, PlayStation, Playstation
PC, PC, PC, PC, PC, PC, PC

Termite

I like the suggestion that 2022 is "closer than you might have expected".

It was trademarked in 2013, announced in 2018. 2022 will be at least four years of development, 9 years after the pre-production and ideas phase started. Not closer than expected to me.

reinking

Gold Member
Can't wait for more info before I get excited about a speculated release date. I hope this years E3/Summer Game Fest/Dev shows knock it out of the park and make up for last year. I want some real hype this year and not manufactured fanboy fodder.

Last edited:

Markio128

Starfield is at risk of getting hyped to a point wherein it cannot reasonably achieve to the expectations. The hype levels are getting insane.
Hey, if the game turns out to be GOAT then I’ll be over the moon, but I personally wouldn’t start hyping a game up until I had seen at least a few minutes of gameplay. I need to know so much more. Bethesda are great developers, however, having recently been stung by Cyberpunk, there are no guarantees, especially for a new IP.

S0ULZB0URNE

They need games but Halo is coming this year so Starfield is not really needed although woukd be fantastic if it did. That Jason guy said this was nowhere near done though right?
Have you seen Halo?

Maybe not SF but something else.
XSX didn't even have a launch lineup LAST YEAR.

Depressing reading this a year after people were worried about it getting delayed "to q1 2022"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom