• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield gets PEGI rating, Bethesda listed on Summer Games Fest.......is it time?

cormack12

Gold Member
ueMtfok.png

Geoff Keighley will act as both curator and host for pre- and post-shows in a lineup that includes companies such as Bethesda, Blizzard Entertainment, CD Projekt Red, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Riot, Sony, and Square Enix.

Reddit summary of what we know

Teaser

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Hmm... possible surprise release this year if that PEGI rating is indeed real (usually the ratings come 6-8 months before a release). Bethesda have done it several times before! Looking forward to anything with cautious optimism!

But after Fallout 76... I am very cautious with anything Bethesda Softworks pushes out,

LOLCats

Banned
you know i hope not, but am prepared for disappointment.

cuz imagine fallout in space.

man o man what a dream that would be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Excited to see what they have created, but am not at all confident Bethesda has a winner here.

"Starfield's core engine will be an updated version of the engine that Bethesda has been improving upon since Morrowind.¹⁴"

A loading screen and mental disconnect for every door, then? I;m betting the wormhole effect is the new "now loading" cover. Hey! I gotta point this shit out!
Don't forget about rain coming through geometry and copious bugs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Game ratings are normally near the end when the game is completed so this would definitely be a surprise.

Larxia

Personally glad they are keeping the same engine and enhancing it.

Love my Bethesda RPGs (singleplayer ones at least.)
Same here! I'm really glad about this. I mean technically you could still have a similar game design with a new engine, but them keeping the same engine and updating it comforts me that it will most likely be in the formula of their TES / Fallout games, and this makes me happy.

I see a lot of people complaining about these games, about their gameplay etc... But I wonder if they are playing these games for the good reasons.
I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout, these games are so unique.
That feeling of freedom, the immersion, how you progress, and the way NPCs act, how they almost all are one specific unique NPC, with specific behaviour and all, it just feels special and I do not know any games that feel like them.

I constantly see people asking for these games to be made differently, to be more like some other games already available out there, but I don't want that... If you want these other games, just play them and leave Elder Scrolls and Fallout alone, because we love them the way they are.

Oblivion was my first game out of these, it was also my first game on ps3, I went from the ps2 to this, and to this day, it's still my biggest "wow" moment, never felt anything like this again. At times it almost felt like being in some kind of parallel / online world, because it felt so alive, unpredictable, there is just something really special in these games that is difficult to explain and that I can't find in any other games (even if there are of course ton of other games I enjoy for different reasons).
I now play them on pc and with modding it's an even more amazing experience.

I hope the future games will keep the same formula and improve upon it, but not going for something totally different.

Riven326

Banned
Same here! I'm really glad about this. I mean technically you could still have a similar game design with a new engine, but them keeping the same engine and updating it comforts me that it will most likely be in the formula of their TES / Fallout games, and this makes me happy.

I see a lot of people complaining about these games, about their gameplay etc... But I wonder if they are playing these games for the good reasons.
I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout, these games are so unique.
That feeling of freedom, the immersion, how you progress, and the way NPCs act, how they almost all are one specific unique NPC, with specific behaviour and all, it just feels special and I do not know any games that feel like them.

I constantly see people asking for these games to be made differently, to be more like some other games already available out there, but I don't want that... If you want these other games, just play them and leave Elder Scrolls and Fallout alone, because we love them the way they are.

Oblivion was my first game out of these, it was also my first game on ps3, I went from the ps2 to this, and to this day, it's still my biggest "wow" moment, never felt anything like this again. At times it almost felt like being in some kind of parallel / online world, because it felt so alive, unpredictable, there is just something really special in these games that is difficult to explain and that I can't find in any other games (even if there are of course ton of other games I enjoy for different reasons).
I now play them on pc and with modding it's an even more amazing experience.

I hope the future games will keep the same formula and improve upon it, but not going for something totally different.
Imagine the same game. Now imagine it without all the bugs and shit. That's what people want. It's really not that hard to understand.

Stuart360

The creation engine felt like it was barely functional and on its last legs with Fallout 4, and especially 76. I can only imagine how bug filled Starfield will be, even by Bethesda standards.

Andodalf

Banned
Personally glad they are keeping the same engine and enhancing it.

Love my Bethesda RPGs (singleplayer ones at least.)

Absolutely. Until any other engine is shown to be able to do what theirs does, there’s really bit much room to complain. Despite being one of the most successful devs out there, no one has put out a game that plays like theirs. It’s the best and worst at what it does by default

Riven326

Banned
Absolutely. Until any other engine is shown to be able to do what theirs does, there’s really bit much room to complain. Despite being one of the most successful devs out there, no one has put out a game that plays like theirs. It’s the best and worst at what it does by default
I can see why they never improve.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And literally 10s of millions of people will probably enjoy the game while the default comments on enthusiast forums will continue to be that it's terrible lol

THE:MILKMAN

Same engine?
Take that Sony and MS with your super fast SSDs. You thought loading screens were a thing of the past? Watch Starfield having them at every door.

Todd after seeing this:

ETZ4cKqXgAEbwRu

I1eVnNQ.jpg

Seriously though I wouldn't be surprised if this game is featured at or around the PS5 reveal as Pete Hines flew 3000 miles to Sony HQ to get an "update" on PS5 after not visiting for 3 years in early March. Source = Kinda Funny interview .

Their engine is shit. Their games are mediocre. But i have thousands of hours of play time across their games. Enjoying Fallout 76 right now.
I'm not hyped at all for Starfield. But even if it's just oblivion in space i'll probably buy it.

VertigoOA

Banned
SSD and next gen would help their current engine. So I expect them to keep using it. They don’t seem to optimize their games for shit tho.

And the problem is from what build of the engine did Starfield get built on? Fallout 4’s? So anything remedied during 76 recently would need to be done again? I mean, how modular is this thing? It’s definitely Frankenstein’s monster.

Fbh

Nah, if they even mention it get ready for another short teaser as they move on to talk about Fallout 76 DLC or something.

As for the game, I guess a Bethesda RPG in space could be fun. I do wonder if people will be more critical of them after Fallout 76 or if they'll still get away with releasing broken games that people seem to be ok with because "haha that's how Bethesda games are, lol"

Last edited:

Larxia

Imagine the same game. Now imagine it without all the bugs and shit. That's what people want. It's really not that hard to understand.
This isn't what I usually read though, I always read stuff about people complaining about the gameplay and the design of these games, I even saw people saying it should be more like.... Dragon's Dogma, which is totally different, and while I like dragon's dogma, I would hate for Elder Scrolls to be like that, it's not comparable at all.
About the bugs, I never totally understood that either, sure there are some bugs, but not much more than in other open world games at there, and when you see the level of interaction and all in bethesda games, the amount of bug is not that much for what's available.
The only game where I had serious issues with bugs was New Vegas, I had one kind of broken quest because of that, but it's the only major bug I can remember.

I prefer something with a few bugs but great interaction and world, rather than something super limited like Outer Worlds but fewer bugs.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Damn, was not expecting this yet. If that PEGI rating is legit, it points to a late 2020 release. We'll see..

Riven326

Banned
This isn't what I usually read though, I always read stuff about people complaining about the gameplay and the design of these games, I even saw people saying it should be more like.... Dragon's Dogma, which is totally different, and while I like dragon's dogma, I would have for Elder Scrolls to be like that, it's not comparable at all.
About the bugs, I never totally understood that either, sure there are some bugs, but not much more than in other open world games at there, and when you see the level of interaction and all in bethesda games, the amount of bug is not that much for what's available.
The only game where I had serious issues with bugs was New Vegas, I had one kind of broken quest because of that, but it's the only major bug I can remember.

I prefer something with a few bugs but great interaction and world, rather than something super limited like Outer Worlds but fewer bugs.
Most people, myself included, enjoy Bethesda games when they're working properly. But the amount of time that is the case is reduced with each new game. The engine gets older and older and it's obvious that it's struggling to do what Bethesda wants it to do. That's why so many people keep saying they want a new engine.

I think we can have a new, more advanced, and more stable, game engine, while also retaining what makes Beth's games unique.

Andodalf

Banned
SSD and next gen would help their current engine. So I expect them to keep using it. They don’t seem to optimize their games for shit tho.

And the problem is from what build of the engine did Starfield get built on? Fallout 4’s? So anything remedied during 76 recently would need to be done again? I mean, how modular is this thing? It’s definitely Frankenstein’s monster.

the reddit OP has pretty much every quote about the game ever, they say the game builds off of 76s improvements. Sounds like 76 got stuff being made for Starfield, like how Skyrim SE essential got ported features from fallout 4.

Don't forget about rain coming through geometry and copious bugs.

I’m pretty sure Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE both had Rain occlusion

Top Bottom