• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield. What's up? Still 15+ months out, what are your expectations, your wishes

Starfield

A new scifi IP by Bethesda Game Studios led by Todd Howard. All the seniors at BGS were dreaming of making this title since AGES. Now they're finally able to work on this epic scifi exploration based game.

What are your personal thoughts, wishes and expectations?

Be it for its story, setting, visuals, exploration, customization, etc...

Starfield-2-768x576.jpg

I don't know how moderation nowadays works here with leaks n stuff. I've leaked a bunch of screenshots here in the past and I know some stuff but lets just go with all the stuff we know "officially".

The game is set around 300-ish years in the future. Humanity has reached for the stars, we now have multiple colonies across multiple star systems. A major focus is being led to Star System Alpha Centauri, the closest system to our solar system.

The constellation logo has Alpha Centauri's 3 suns in them (Yellow = Alpha Centauri A , Orange = Alpha Centauri B , Red = Proxima Centauri).

Probably early in the game you join "Constellation" the last group of human space explorers. At one point you find a device of alien origin which opens up opportunities of unknown possibilities.
You have your own starship. The "Frontier" (allthough I'm pretty sure you can rename it unless theres some specific story/lore reason not to).

During your space adventures you will encounter various types of alien life. Communication is a strong focus in the game and how it works.
Our ship will be capable of going from one star system or planet to another within a fraction of time due to a new technology called "Graviton Field Loop Array" (basically, a warp-drive).

There's climbable ladders, but with a CATCH! They're just an animation, like the ladders on the Tempest in Mass Effect Andromeda.

You will encounter pirate organizations such as the Crimson Fleet where and you may or may not be able to join them.

Flyable ships, ship customization (inside and outside), ship-to-ship combat, 2-crew system ala Mass Effect and a crew management system in Starfield? Who knows... let's find out...in the future :)

ZoAlUjOld3iLEOibedfpGcbdK0vroVr2aIHmDmJl1PY.png

*** JOURNEY, INTO THE STARFIELD ***

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Honestly I just hope it's similar to their previous games. I want a handcrafted experience, detail in most every nook and cranny, atmospheric story telling, more random world storytelling (where NPC's approach you in the world, or when you find something in the environment).

I play Softworks games for their world exploring, gameplay, and superb atmosphere. I really believe they are masters in this field. Fallout 4 was filled to the brim with world detail and environmental storytelling. It was awesome! I believe Todd Howard mentioned in an interview that it will be like their previous games, exploring environments and talking with NPC's, which sounds awesome to me.

With all that said... I am fine if they go with a fully voiced main character, but I do hope we get more meaningful dialogue choices.

MOTM

Banned
I expect 1:1 sci fi clone of Skyrim/Fallout. With the same generic main quest, utter jank and bugs.

96 meta

93 meta

87 meta

Last edited:
bethesda game in space. what more do we need? although i really hope the combat and quests are better than their past games. can we get an actual good main quest for once?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure what to expect. I'm assuming it'll be a space version of a Fallout of Skyrim, but maybe it'll play way different.

My biggest hope is that it runs at 60 fps. At least give a performance option.

PC gamers with good rigs have no problem with playing Bethesda RPGs at smooth FR, but only lately with these console system boosts have 60 fps console versions been available. And combined with 4k and some high res texture mods and it looks and plays sweet. You'll be amazed how these are on Series X vs. Xbox One or even One X (One X was capped at 30). Its like youre playing another game.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
The only ones who have actually seen what the game is are Sony & MS.

The fact that Sony was about to break the bank to get timed exclusivity and that it was part of Bethesda’s $7.5 billion valuation leads me to believe it will be as big in impact to to gaming as Skyrim was.

Also MS being extremely confident about the product (announcing date and starting marketing 16 months in advance) makes me believe they know they have something special.

I think the setting is a smart fit for their skillset. They're still not known for fantastic combat, or fantastic animations.

But setting things in a space setting with a larger focus on science, and exploration in exo-suits or space suits means that it's not really going to require insane combat or animations.

Basically, as long as the story and setting are decent enough - the game is actually the best possible fit for their skillset as a studio. I'm actually a bit optimistic about it, despite not enjoying Skyrim.

Starfield

I think the setting is a smart fit for their skillset. They're still not known for fantastic combat, or fantastic animations.

But setting things in a space setting with a larger focus on science, and exploration in exo-suits or space suits means that it's not really going to require insane combat or animations.

Basically, as long as the story and setting are decent enough - the game is actually the best possible fit for their skillset as a studio. I'm actually a bit optimistic about it, despite not enjoying Skyrim.
Funnily enough they've upgraded their animation tools for this title and TES Vl.

Starfield

I'm sure they have. I obviously hope everything improves. I'm just saying, the actual setting for the game is kind of a nice fit for them.
They're using Autodesk Maya now for creating animations. Same tool being used inside the majority of the gaming industry now (aka industry standard). For example TLOU 2's animations were created with maya. Don't expect that level of quality though but who knows.

They've also untied physics from animations I believe which should destroy all "animation jank" we've been so used to in the past. Fluid animations incoming!

Matt_Fox

Gameplay wise, I suspect planets will have a landing site rather than be fully explorable, with perhaps 7-8 major planetary settlements to explore (equivalent to the cities of Skyrim).

Dotted throughout the galaxy you'll have the 'dungeon' equivalent of Skyrim, now translated into mines on asteroids, interiors of spaceships / space stations, alien ruins that type of thing.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
If this hits big as a PlayStation owner I will have to somehow find a way to play it. Will most likely buy a gaming PC when this releases. However I won't buy anything until this is out and gets the good reviews. Hopefully by then I can find a cheap enough laptop that can run this game (I don't need ultra settings).

Javthusiast

Banned
96 meta

93 meta

87 meta

I know, and in my personal opinion their games always were subpar.

I'm expecting Fallout 4 in space and I hope I am wrong. The move to a more crafting/basebuilding focus really dented my interest. Not to mention the pared down dialogue options.

A move to a more exploration oriented game would definitely interest me with some "lite" crafting/upgrading of a main space station.

I'm hopeful!

Tokio Blues

This game will be released at least in 2023-2024, theres is no way that it will come out in 2022.

I think that what they are trying to achieve is somehow to big. The idea of flying between planets -like SCITIZEN- in handcrafted planets and scenarios, its' really just complicated as fascinating.

GymWolf

I expect the same broken game with shitty combat, questionable writing and boring main plot.

But hey, if you steal a fork from a spaceship and you put it in an asteroid...it stay there!!! Omfg am i rite?

To be honest, after the last 2-3 games from bethesda, they have everything to prove to me. (Emphasis on TO ME since a lot of people love to play their broken stuff)

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I expect the same broken game with shitty combat, questionable writing and boring main plot.

But hey, if you steal a fork from a spaceship and you put in an asteroid...it stay there!!! Omfg am i rite?

To be honest, after the last 2-3 games from bethesda, they have everything to prove to me. (Emphasis on TO ME since a lot of people love to play their broken stuff)
Fo76 wasn't from marryland. It was from Austin bethesda.

Last mainline bethesda game was fallout 4. They upgraded their system after that.

GymWolf

Fo76 wasn't from marryland. It was from Austin bethesda.

Last mainline bethesda game was fallout 4. They upgraded their system after that.
Dude, i wrote last 2-3 games.

I know that skyrim and f4 have a lot of fans, but i'm not one of them.

And i LOVE the action rpg open world genre.

kingfey

Banned
Dude, i wrote last 2-3 games.

I know that skyrim and f4 have a lot of fans, but i'm not one of them.

And i LOVE the action rpg open world genre.
Creation engine at that time, was on life support.
This new upgrade seems to meet your desire.
I hated skyrim combat as well. Hope they give us the witcher 3 combat.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Creation engine at that time, was on life support.
This new upgrade seems to meet your desire.
I hated skyrim combat as well. Hope they give us the witcher 3 combat.
Updated engine hardly has anything to do with shitty combat mechanics, shitty animations and bad writing\plot.

The bolded part made me laugh at loud, thanks dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Hopefully we are gonna get something noticeably better than the stiffer witcher combat.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

A new scifi IP by Bethesda Game Studios led by Todd Howard. All the seniors at BGS were dreaming of making this title since AGES. Now they're finally able to work on this epic scifi exploration based game.

What are your personal thoughts, wishes and expectations?

Be it for its story, setting, visuals, exploration, customization, etc...

Starfield-2-768x576.jpg

I don't know how moderation nowadays works here with leaks n stuff. I've leaked a bunch of screenshots here in the past and I know some stuff but lets just go with all the stuff we know "officially".

The game is set around 300-ish years in the future. Humanity has reached for the stars, we now have multiple colonies across multiple star systems. A major focus is being led to Star System Alpha Centauri, the closest system to our solar system.

The constellation logo has Alpha Centauri's 3 suns in them (Yellow = Alpha Centauri A , Orange = Alpha Centauri B , Red = Proxima Centauri).

Probably early in the game you join "Constellation" the last group of human space explorers. At one point you find a device of alien origin which opens up opportunities of unknown possibilities.
You have your own starship. The "Frontier" (allthough I'm pretty sure you can rename it unless theres some specific story/lore reason not to).

During your space adventures you will encounter various types of alien life. Communication is a strong focus in the game and how it works.
Our ship will be capable of going from one star system or planet to another within a fraction of time due to a new technology called "Graviton Field Loop Array" (basically, a warp-drive).

There's climbable ladders, but with a CATCH! They're just an animation, like the ladders on the Tempest in Mass Effect Andromeda.

You will encounter pirate organizations such as the Crimson Fleet where and you may or may not be able to join them.

Flyable ships, ship customization (inside and outside), ship-to-ship combat, 2-crew system ala Mass Effect and a crew management system in Starfield? Who knows... let's find out...in the future :)

ZoAlUjOld3iLEOibedfpGcbdK0vroVr2aIHmDmJl1PY.png

*** JOURNEY, INTO THE STARFIELD ***

Nice OP, it's difficult for me to really set expectations right now. We know its a Space RPG. I guess I hope for space combat, open world experience on multiple planets and star systems. I would like to see 1st and 3rd person combat and an improvement over what we know from Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I'm hoping for a good 20-30 hours story with plenty of side content.

Should it be more realistic and based on science and physics? Or more science fiction, futuristic and eerie?

I don't know how I feel about the idea of aliens being involved or not. Without aliens you may feel the enemies are a bit stagnant...with aliens you are probably making a much more complex game and it has to be done right. Immediate comparisons will be made to Mass Effect. They could do aliens who are not intelligent...Kinda like most of Outriders' characters. There was a sentient race but we saw very little of them.

How many planets? Star Systems? I think a good scope would be more than Mass Effect, less than say...No Man's Sky. I'm not a big fan of procedurally generated games. I'd rather have a more concise handcrafted set of worlds.

Performance. 60 fps minimum, 1440p or higher.

Most importantly, a good story. Make it the star of the show...not the side content. I don't think the side content has to be as good as The Witcher 3, but make it about exploration and discovery, rather than fetch quests and go here, kill this kind of quests.

Some good types of quests are:
1. Space patrol quests - where you would explore an area...planned combat either in space or planetside.
2. Discovery - surveying planets, touching the surface and gathering knowledge and story elements with maybe some combat or predetermined escape sequence.
3. Story maturation - Have quests that flesh out the background of other characters/races/ locations in the game.
4. Unexpected mini boss fights. Nothing indicated in the quest log...but make it a surprise.

So I know I said it's hard to make expectations since it's so early...but I think this works out.

balt1kr1s

RPG 300 years into future with space exploration and AAA budget is something I really want to be exceptionally good.
This generation I’m planning to have both PS5 and Xbox so I wish for those things:

- New engine that will make this game looks like something not 10+ years old.
- Not being a buggy fucking mess
- Decent gameplay not stuck in the past like the graphics.

Seriously Bethesda I know it will be difficult for you, but don’t mess it up.

Last edited:
it's bethesda so i'm not getting too excited. it's just gonna be basically the same as skyrim/fallout 4 but with a space theme. so far we have fantasy setting for ES, post apocalyptic/retro futuristic with Fallout, and Starfield will likely be a space/cyberpunk setting with all the usual classic bethesda jank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom