• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk Review Thread

V_Ben

Banned
IGN - 9.0

Like its protagonist, Starhawk is a half-breed, something out of the ordinary and against tradition. It picks up the narrative slack on the battlefield, where a simple strategy system is an inspiring spin on the third-person shooter.

This hybrid form of thinking and shooting has a layered depth that comes completely to life in multiplayer, where building a fortress to protect a flag is as fun as flying headlong into the enemy’s HQ. Combining these gameplay elements seems so obvious that, in hindsight, it’s a wonder it’s taken this long to take off.

The defining factors of Starhawk will, in all likelihood, garner a strong community to support it for years. Deservedly so: This is multiplayer at its finest, and it’s among the best you’ll find on any platform.

Polygon - 6.5

It's not that Starhawk is a bad game. It's not offensive, and it demonstrates a surprisingly broad range of influences in its attempts to be something different in the online shooter space. But Starhawk feels half-there, like its pieces don't quite fit together, and it can't keep pace with other, better multiplayer titles out there.

PSNation - A

I’ll be honest, when they showed us the Build & Battle in Austin last year, I was a bit worried. In my mind all I could hear was “oh no, they’re turning it into Tower Defense!” When I finally played it though, I saw the potential. The biggest roadblock though is your teammates. If you’re teamed with people that just build whatever they need without thinking about the ramifications, you’re going to have issues. Luckily, the option is there to tear down anything that your teammates build. The single player isn’t just some attempt to give you some training for online, and instead is a well written, tight, and very entertaining campaign with some really cool cutscenes. The multiplayer exceeds every one of my expectations, and the changes made as a result of the beta have moved it forward in so many ways. Sure, some Warhawk zealots, especially those that loved to base-rape everyone in hover mode then speed away, are probably going to complain because this isn’t Warhawk 2. Don’t listen to them. This is a fantastic game that I expect to play for years to come. If this is Lightbox’s first attempt, I can’t imagine what their next game will bring.

TSA (Single Player Review) - 8.0

Starhawk’s single-player campaign is by no means perfect, but it is definitely enjoyable. The Build and Battle system has been well designed, and there are some truly exhilarating moments such as the first time you take a Hawk out into space. Repetition does take the shine off of proceedings somewhat, however. As preparation for the multi-player side of things, the single-player campaign does its job well – you’ll find yourself more than capable of joining a team and kicking some ass.

Gamesradar - 8.0

Starhawk is one of the most unique multiplayer experiences we played in a long time. The RTS elements create significant strategic depth and the action is a blast. Once we got a hang of the somewhat complicated gameplay systems of building bases and driving the various vehicles we didn't want to put the controller down. If you've been looking for engrossing, chaotic, large-scale multiplayer battles, Starhawk is going to satisfy your needs.

OPM UK 8/10

Starhawk is a boiling pot of real time strategy, vehicle combat and third person shooting, designed for gruelling tugs of tactical war. If the space setting appeals and you like shooters with a cerebral bite, there’s plenty to love. Just don’t buy it for the solo campaign alone – the story is thinner than the lunar atmosphere and essentially an elaborate training tool.

Tell me if I missed any.

Edit: Lifestyle is banned, so I replaced theirs with PSNation. Added synopses too.

Busty

Banned
Hmmm that's an interesting spread of scores.

Personally I'm interested but I'm curious to see how GAF takes to it.

Hmmm that's an interesting spread of scores.

Personally I'm interested but I'm curious to see how GAF takes to it.

This game's ability to establish a strong and large community will be pivitol to not only its success, bit it's enjoyment. Review scores can't predict that unfortunately.

I am of the opinion it will have a hard time establishing a long term community, but we will see.

Ricky_R

Was (or is) there another gameplay build that we compare to the beta build? The Uncharted 3 code beta I mean.

I just remember it being a bit all over the place and with considerable slowdowns when a lot of shit was happening. Just want to know how the game is running now and how well balanced it is. If it is.

I'm very curious to see what kind of reception this game gets here on GAF. The beta didn't sell me on the game and I thought it was kind of mediocre but I'm wondering if it's just one of those games that takes a while to click.

Zia

I'm very curious to see what kind of reception this game gets here on GAF. The beta didn't sell me on the game and I thought it was kind of mediocre but I'm wondering if it's just one of those games that takes a while to click.

I didn't really enjoy my time with it either, and it'll be hard to gain traction with multi-platform players. Interested to see if and how it grows, though!

sometimes

Neo Member

it does take a while to click, I had several games just using basic weapons before I even realised you could build/visit a bunker with more weapons in! once I got the hang of it, awesome. weapons, vehicles, big maps, so many options and couple that with the progression and unlocks etc, brilliant and can't wait to get on with some of the players on here

I played the beta quite a bit, but it never grew on me. I wanted it to, but it never did.

zroid

Banned
Outside of Giess's predictably unimpressed review, it seems to be getting positive scores. Seems like the consensus is that the multiplayer and cooperative play is top notch but that the single player is only so-so.

Not really, one outlier.

My comment made a bit more sense before the PSLifestyle review was swapped with the PSNation one in the OP :p

IGN - 9.0

Polygon - 6.5

PSLifestyle - 7.5

TSA (Single Player Review) - 8.0

Gustav

Banned
Added, ta.

And please, leave the fanboy-ish accusations out of this thread re: scores. A third person shooter with tower defence / base building elements was always going to be something at least partly divisive.

I guess you're referring to my Arthur Gies comment. It was rather a comment towards Gies and his predictability than that the game desveres a better score.

Can't wait to read his review, though. I am curious if he again has problems with input latency. His number one complaint with everything.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Along with controls that seem squirrely and inaccurate for a shooter, this last part seems the most likely culprit with regards to how pedestrian everything feels.
I'ma need another opinion on this. He's basically calling the controls crap

Globox_82

Banned
Arthur Gies should not be reviewing anything PS related, let alone an exclusive. Not saying that his score is biased, but knowing his history towards Sony. It kinda points to that. It's like seeing a turd few meters away and wondering if it stinks. No reason to check it out, it does stink

EagleEyes

Arthur Gies should not be reviewing anything PS related, let alone an exclusive. Not saying that his score is biased, but knowing his history towards Sony. It kinda points to that. It's like seeing a turd few meters away and wondering if it stinks. No reason to check it out, it does stink
Give me a break. Didn't the OP request to leave the fanboy stuff out of this thread?

tusken77

I'ma need another opinion on this. He's basically calling the controls crap

Is that a Gies comment? If so, anyone who has heard his opinion on Vanquish/how that game controls (apparently it's "clunky"!) knows not to take a blind bit of notice of his opinion on shooters and how they control.

The Lamp

Expected. The game is polarizing. I personally loved the beta, so thanks Lightbox/SSM for making this game!!

The single player isn't supposed to be anything more than a glorified tutorial for the multiplayer, which is what Warhawk badly needed anyway. I'm game.

From the beta, the game controls almost exactly like Warhawk except a face button opens up your B&B menu. Except there are improvements, like you can run now.

Anteater

Is that a Gies comment? If so, anyone who has heard his opinion on Vanquish/how that game controls (apparently it's "clunky"!) knows not to take a blind bit of notice of his opinion on shooters and how they control.

Vanquish clunky? I wonder what he'd call the other tps :eek:

mik

mik is unbeatable
I love Gies's new go-to line:

"I won't go so far as to say The Witcher 2 is a bad game..."

"It's not that Starhawk is a bad game."

"Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't an overtly bad game..."

It's not that he's bad at articulating his opinions...

gogogow

OPM UK 8/10

Starhawk is a boiling pot of real time strategy, vehicle combat and third person shooting, designed for gruelling tugs of tactical war. If the space setting appeals and you like shooters with a cerebral bite, there’s plenty to love. Just don’t buy it for the solo campaign alone – the story is thinner than the lunar atmosphere and essentially an elaborate training tool.

Orca

Including the PSNation review should balance that out :p

zroid

Banned
I love Gies's new go-to line:

"I won't go so far as to say The Witcher 2 is a bad game..."

"It's not that Starhawk is a bad game."

"Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't an overtly bad game..."

It's not that he's bad at articulating his opinions...

the new visceral!

ironcreed

Banned
In summary, if you dare to do something different then expect a mixed reception. Is it any wonder why most play it safe with the same old formulas over and over? They are too afraid to take risks because at best you end up with polarizing views and less than hoped for success. No worries, folks. Another COD will be releasing in November to lull you back into your safe zone. Then it will be business as usual.

Looking forward to the Gametrailers review, and also considering the awesome patches warhawk got. This game could get even better in a year.

tusken77

Vanquish clunky? I wonder what he'd call the other tps :eek:

Yep. "Clunky" is just one of the gems in his opinion of the game. If you want more Gies words of wisdom on controls, look up his opinion on how Dark Souls controls and its combat. Another beauty.

V_Ben

Banned
I haven't been following this game at all. What's the GAF consensus?

That's going to be a mighty tricky one to say, its relatively divisive. Some love it, some found it dull and not fun in the slightest. Its really going to depend on the player I'm afraid. I loved it, the build and battle stuff was awesome to play around with, and I loved the freedom it gives the player.

tusken77

That's going to be a mighty tricky one to say, its relatively divisive. Some love it, some found it dull and not fun in the slightest. Its really going to depend on the player I'm afraid. I loved it, the build and battle stuff was awesome to play around with, and I loved the freedom it gives the player.

Yes, the beta thread seemed to be equally split with players who were curious to know more/ really enjoyed it/some Day 1ers and players who found it not 'Warhawk' enough/didn't click with it/didn't warm to it.

In summary, if you dare to do something different then expect a mixed reception. Is it any wonder why most play it safe with the same old formulas over and over? They are too afraid to take risks because at best you end up with polarizing views and less than hoped for success. No worries, folks. Another COD will be releasing in November to lull you back into your safe zone. Then it will be business as usual.

The thing is trying something new isn't a bad thing it just needs to be well executed. I'm sorry but empty maps and a team building limit that is gone in the first few minutes isn't what I would call well executed. Build and battle became the game not something that helped the game.

I would have preferred established bases that are captureable and build and battle was then used to flesh out defenses and maybe build jet packs. Instead I get elaborate home bases and not much in between.

ironcreed

Banned
I will be checking this game out at a later date, but it is the only multiplayer that really appeals to me right now. I did not mess with the beta all that much, but it felt fresh enough that I know it's something I want to play. Which was also the case with Warhawk for me.

Yep. "Clunky" is just one of the gems in his opinion of the game. If you want more Gies words of wisdom on controls, look up his opinion on how Dark Souls controls and its combat. Another beauty.

What irritates me the most about Gies is the way he says crap with such confidence like he knows what he his talking about.

Like "Black Ops is a poorly optimized game" or "Killzone's controlls are laggy." He actually claims that he can tell when a game isn't pinging the controller SIXTY TIMES A SECOND. Ok there, Superman. In addition to being an amazing programming wizard that can look throught he matrix and see the code in Black Ops you apparently also have super human reflexes.

Now, I don't actually know if Black Ops code is poorly optimized. I'm not a fucking programmer and I haven't looked at the code. But I know sure as shit that Arthur Gies doesn't know either. And he gets away with making declarative statements like this all the time, talking about shit that he can't possibly know anything about. These aren't even the strongest examples, they are just the most recent on last week's Rebel FM.

At least he pays homage to self deprecation. On last week's episode he said he was thinking of submitting a panel to the Penny Arcade expo but then then said that "it would make [him] feel like an asshole because who would want to come and hear [him] speak." At least he got that right. His only talent consist of living as a roommate with a dude who worked in the gaming biz and got him the hook up.

see5harp

I really want to try this out but don't want to spend $60. I really wish Sony hadn't chosen to go with online passes for everything because I'd really like to gamefly or red box this. The campaign videos give the impression that it's a sequence of animated comic cutscenes between multiplayer scenarios.

ironcreed

Banned
The thing is trying something new isn't a bad thing it just needs to be well executed. I'm sorry but empty maps and a team building limit that is gone in the first few minutes isn't what I would call well executed. Build and battle became the game not something that helped the game.

I would have preferred established bases that are captureable and build and battle was then used to flesh out defenses and maybe build jet packs. Instead I get elaborate home bases and not much in between.

There you go, it's a polarizing game. Anyway, I was not saying that doing something different automatically equals something good. I was just saying that taking risks and doing something different in general is hard to do successfully and is why most developers stick to the same old formulas. Because they know it works.

Whether Starhawk is good or not will be entirely subjective. But I would not be surprised to see the reviews continue to be up and down and all around, because it is such a different sort of game than the norm. Many will find it too awkward and involved and others will find something fresh that makes the standard fare even more dull than it already is.

Top Bottom