• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlight Inception (PC/Vita) Kickstarter project [Ended, $158K funded]

Meier

I just don't know about these kickstarter projects that have such a far off release date. I think a lot of what made the DoubleFine one appealing to people was the (at least inititial) promise of only a 6 month turnaround on investment. It's not particular enticing to wait nearly 1.5 years to get a return on your money.

Minsc

Gold Member
I just don't know about these kickstarter projects that have such a far off release date. I think a lot of what made the DoubleFine one appealing to people was the (at least inititial) promise of only a 6 month turnaround on investment. It's not particular enticing to wait nearly 1.5 years to get a return on your money.

1-2 years isn't so bad when you've already been waiting 10-20 years. I think it's a harder sell, to pitch a 1-2 year turnaround, but as long as they're upfront about their goals I don't see the problem.

Well, i wouldn't sweat about it if you just pledge 15$ thats candymoney. Hopefully you will be pleasantly suprised in a year or so when the game actually hits. Or you will be deeply disappointed by a crappy game, but it's not a lot of money :D It's like a pre-order and a show of faith towards the developers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kickstarter Page said:
Working as a project leader, lead artist, and designer on Star Wars Force Commander, Mr. Gaber then moved on to project lead and design Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and its subsequent expansion pack Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns.

Loooooool

Nope. No. Hell no. No way I'm kicking money to a man even partially responsible for Force Commander.

Oppo

Thanks to whomever added the Kickstarter link to the OP, and please accept my apologies for such a gross oversight.

Off to make my contribution!

Loooooool

Nope. No. Hell no. No way I'm kicking money to a man even partially responsible for Force Commander.

I cannot put the Force Commander misfire at the feet of one man. It was a tragic tale, but the days preceding FC were ones fraught with delighted anticipation.

Galactic Battlegrounds was a great game, and more than simply the AoE2 reskinning many claimed it was. Played a boatload of it.

Chris_C

I would love to donate money to a game that will end up on Vita, but this kinda has amateur written all over it. That early concept of the hornet is a pretty bad design, a terrible model, and just awful texture work.

I can't see anything good coming out of this, as much as I'd love to pitch in.

The $15 reward is nice, since it also gives you access to the beta. The rest though? They seem utterly pointless.

$30 extra for a PDF of 50 illustrations? No thanks. $40 more for a T-shirt and poster? Right. You see where I'm going with this. The rest are even more ludicrous IMO.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I feel like this sort of game needs at least a mid-sized budget to really be excellent. We've had a bunch of decent low-budget space sim-ish games in the past few years, but those aren't really what I want at this point.

This project seems impossibly far from its target, and with less than a month away. I've never really followed a kickstarter before, is this one as doomed as it seems?

I hope this game finds its legs.

SparkTR

This project seems impossibly far from its target, and with less than a month away. I've never really followed a kickstarter before, is this one as doomed as it seems?

Takedown came back from brink in the last few days, let's hope Notch tweets about this.

gabbo

Several Kickstarters have been funded in the final minutes of their duration, and most usually get a big upswing in the last 24 hours.

Just got a new update regarding this game today. They updated the intro video with higher res content for the very early build they have created. Also improved the overall logo and other assets it seems. They also brought in David Arkenstone (Composer of WoW Cataclysm) to write the music for the game. So some nice updates there.

Also, this may have been missed by many, they apologized for the day one DLC and now every pledge that gets a copy of the game will also get all day one DLC not just those that pledge $30. Also they promise never to do day one DLC ever again.

Still a long way to go though, but also a lot of days left.

1-D_FTW

Speaking for myself, I saw this thread when it first went live (and there was no kickstarter). Then when I saw it bumped again, only clicked on it for the heck of it. Missed the thread title that referenced kickstarter. It's kind of a subtle edit. Too subtle IMO. Almost missed it entirely that they're trying to get it funded for real.

Patapwn

I just pledged $30. I'm surprised this hasn't really drawn a lot of funding particularly the Vita crowd.

I pledged a few days ago simply because it was on vita (as in I was interested but thought of having it on vita pushed me across the line)

So I guess that's something :/

1-D_FTW

Oh. I had this confused with the Sidhe prototype video was recently released. I thought they were the ones who started a Kickstarter.

... save ur money for sidhe.That was amazing looking and could be realised. this...

this and its fake composite = explosions + hokey ass ships dont deserve support. imo

... save ur money for sidhe.That was amazing looking and could be realised. this...

this and its fake composite = explosions + hokey ass ships dont deserve support. imo
Has Sidhe actually decided do a kickstarter yet? I'm more interested in Project Space than Starlight Inception, but I'm definitely down for funding both of these titles and this is the only one that's opened an outlet for my money.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Update #8: First Concept Art for Game; Thank you for your continued support

Hi -

Just wanted to share our first piece of concept art with you all, which will most likely become a couple of classes of fighters in the game. This is the first piece of many, and we are really happy to be posting this today:

wlcWq.jpg

I also just wanted to say thank you again to all of you out there tweeting, telling your friends about the game, FB'ing, and generally spreading the word about this project. there are still 13 days left to get to our goal, and it is within reach. Let's make this happen together!

Kindest Regards,
Garry

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../214661?ref=email&show_token=c1e43e2aac01e392

gabbo

Like the look of those fighters.
Wonder if we'll see any capital ship designs before time runs out.
edit: Reminiscent of the ships from Space Rangers a bit, and that's not a bad thing imo.

Down to forty-three hours. It's just over $99,000.

Escape Hatch has added a bit more fighter concept art on the KS page. There are also some new higher tier rewards.

Wish they'd asked for $100,000. I'd really like to see this get made.

Me too. The space shooters and space sims don't seem to be doing so well, with the exception of Drifter.

It's really shot up in the last couple of days though. It's gotten about $20,000 and it's added a few hundred backers. People are saying in the KS comments section that it's finally gotten some play in the gaming press.

GopherD

Still hope. I checked last night and it was at $88k so its gone up a fair amount in 12 hrs. Most of the funding should come through in the final 24 though.

Haven´t backed it, although I can feel some empathy towards the developers here, I can´t pledge when I have a hard time believing that this money is enough to make a game like this.

But still, good luck to them, it´s fun if they make it.

If they fall it will be mostly due to their lack of updates and no reaction to slow donations. Ehh I'll add a bit more to my mini pledge.

Top Bottom