• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlight Inception (PC/Vita) Kickstarter project [Ended, $158K funded]

Patapwn

A day left and I upped my pledge to $60.

I also arranged some candles in a circle and said a few lines of gibberish. It worked in the movies so we at least have magic on our side

Damn cache, fooled me yet again! Now showing 23 hrs.

19 hours here. Space Shooters am cry, so little love for such a fine genre ;(
Guess I'll go back to harassing Yoshida on Twitter to make a new Colony Wars.

Then again, if some guys from the X-Wing or Wing Commander teams would Kickstart something similar it'd do well, right guys??

Psy-Phi

Kicking in my pennies, there's a kickstarter fatigue I was feeling, but I decided to dump money into it anyway because I doubt it will make it and I'm mildly intrigued. Hope it does, but I'm seriously done with Kickstarter, spent entirely too much money backing things.

Sentenza

On a side note, I don't think that the problem with this Kickstarter is the lack of interest for the genre; it's more about the fact that honestly their concept video was quite ugly.
Well, that and the very unfortunate idea to talk about day one DLCs in a Kickstarter pitch.

test_account

XP-39C²
On a side note, I don't think that the problem with this Kickstarter is the lack of interest for the genre; it's more about the fact that honestly their concept video was quite ugly.
Well, that and the very unfortunate idea to talk about day one DLCs in a Kickstarter pitch.
The first-planned day 1 DLC is now included in the main game. Unless you talk about how it was before.

"NOTE: We apologize for the confusion, but we are folding all launch DLC (two fighters and one mission) into the product, and not offering launch DLC.. We've also created a new $30 tier that includes all future DLC since Kickstarter doesn't allow us to change descriptions once we have backers. Our apologies for the inconvenience."

test_account

XP-39C²
The latter.
They changed it later, sure, but judging by some reactions I read it was more than enough to put off many people.
I understand. I dont know when they changed it, but it shouldnt be a factor now. If people didnt want to back this project simply because of the day 1 DLC stuff, this reason is removed now. I just hope for the developer's sake that people know about this change.

The Hermit

And until (or if?) this takes off play Free Allegiance on your PC, modern or ancient alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB55B21868E1DDE77&feature=player_embedded&v=WcRmSt7Q_LA

It's been called Team Fortress in space but it's generally far more strategic with RTS elements and iirc 64 or more players.

Edit: sorry, I thought the keywords were "Miss space dogfights?". Also, the game's said to be made for PC too, so...

I was craving for a game like this thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I was craving for a game like this thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!
It might be hard to find a match these days, when I last tried it wasn't too bad, but if it appears to be bad now you should probably check their forums and see if there are scheduled community meet ups or whatever to get populated matches going. Space GAF could maybe spark some interest and get more people playing it if anyone cared to try doing that.

I understand. I dont know when they changed it, but it shouldnt be a factor now. If people didnt want to back this project simply because of the day 1 DLC stuff, this reason is removed now. I just hope for the developer's sake that people know about this change.

To me this just shows that they didn't quite understand what Kickstarter for games was about. Same with the Vita port. Kickstarter seems to work great as a way to develop for your audience (if you can get the project funded). The Double Fine, Shadowrun, Larry and other kickstarters all provided the following reason for investment: "Publishers don't want to fund this. Do you want us to make something that you'll like but that isn't for a mass audience?"

So there's no need for a multi-platform release, unless you think your audience wants it. Also, there's no need for paid DLC - day 1 or day 100. If you think something should be included in the game, just put it in there (or release it later as a free extension). The Kickstarter money is supposed to finance the complete development. There is no publisher who imposes a deadline and says "You can't include that in the release candidate. Do it as a DLC instead."

Kafel

Banned
Keep helping the project, I'd guess if it comes close to the goal the guy himself can pledge the rest and take a little loss rather than missing all the cash.

Corto

Keep helping the project, I'd guess if it comes close to the goal the guy himself can pledge the rest and take a little loss rather than missing all the cash.

Someone at Sony should. A Vita game shouldn't be something they could ignore.

androvsky

That's expressly forbidden with kickstarters, something to do with credit card payments and cash advances iirc.

Someone at Sony should. A Vita game shouldn't be something they could ignore.
I wonder if Sony already pitched in some money, doesn't seem like they're asking nearly enough. And I thought they couldn't pitch potential games to Sony, it's one of the big problems Victor Ireland had with his kickstarter.

ikkei

Even if this kickstarter fails, they can always take a pair of months to start making the game, prepare a decent teaser and try to focus just in the SP or MP part of the game. And then, try it again.

Kafel

Banned
Escape Hatch Entertainment 12 minutes ago

Hey amazing backers - we truly appreciate all you have done during this campaign. We wanted to send a message out to say thank you and remember keep the faith because there is always a way!! We will do this!

- Garry, Melissa and the team at Escape Hatch

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The devs, themselves, should just toss in the last 20k so they don't lose the whole thing.

Top Bottom