• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlight Inception (PC/Vita) Kickstarter project [Ended, $158K funded]

mclem

What gameplay features are you interested in seeing in this?

One of the things I really liked in X-Wing was the ability to dynamically shift power between systems based on what you needed at any given time (Engines, shields, lasers), and the ability to set your shields to heavy on the front or rear. Something akin to that wouldn't go amiss.

Adds a nice layer of light strategy on top of the actual combat.

magawolaz

YES! Great work GAF. It would be interesting to see how much of that money comes from gaffers.

Vita will finally have a game!

tumblr_lnu0hl0MDu1qa9vqgo1_500.gif
:lol

Ardenyal

WHOO! This is good news to wake up to =)) well done. It was looking pretty bad with just a couple hours to go and 20k or so needed.

Shinriji

Nice. First Kickstarter that actually get funded. And was the only one that I was sure that not going to make. Congrats, GAF.

So, Steam or Vita for you? (Vita here)

Carl

Nice. First Kickstarter that actually get funded. And was the only one that I was sure that not going to make. Congrats, GAF.

Vita for sure. Plugged $45 into it though so i'll get both versions. Will give PC version away i guess

PLatinum trophy or bust!

Anyway, great to see this taking off. Forgot to pledge but will definitely buy when it's out! (on Vita)

gabbo

I'm convinced that I have the superpower that any project I get pledge to get funded, this and Nekro looked fucking dead then pulled it out at the last moment.

Point some of that magic Gravitaz way.

mclern said:
One of the things I really liked in X-Wing was the ability to dynamically shift power between systems based on what you needed at any given time (Engines, shields, lasers), and the ability to set your shields to heavy on the front or rear. Something akin to that wouldn't go amiss.

This must not be as common as I thought, or I played a disproportionate amount of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter as a kid.

mclem

This must not be as common as I thought, or I played a disproportionate amount of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter as a kid.

Well, Wing Commander didn't really have it. Beyond that, I don't really have many benchmarks to work to. Did Freespace? Starlancer? Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star?

gabbo

Well, Wing Commander didn't really have it. Beyond that, I don't really have many benchmarks to work to. Did Freespace? Starlancer? Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star?

I'm pretty sure Freelancer allowed you to mess about with your ships power settings.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Depending on how the game turns out, I might go with both. Both platforms would have their advantages. It would be great if saves were cross compatible, but I won't get my hopes up.

Salaadin

Depending on how the game turns out, I might go with both. Both platforms would have their advantages. It would be great if saves were cross compatible, but I won't get my hopes up.

Im torn on the version too. I want more Vita games but this will be awesome with a flight stick on PC, assuming it supports them (it should!).

Ill probably end up getting both eventually.

This became a common feature later on, I think. Like Gabbo said, Freelancer had it. If I'm correct, Freespace 1 and 2, Starlancer, and Tachyon the Fringe all had it also. Not sure whether Independence War 1 and 2 had it.

sTeLioSco

Banned
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT - ADDITIONAL PLATFORMS

Ok, so here’s the big news: we are going to be on Sony Playstation 3 as well as Vita and PC. The success of the Kickstarter as well as the early views of the game have garnered us a spot on PS3. Because we haven’t yet sent out the questionnaire from Kickstarter related to what platform it is that you will choose, we are going to include the PS3 version as well as one of the choices. If you chose two versions, you can pick two of those platforms. In addition, we will have PS3 available on our website as another choice for preorder, and extend the same pricing from the Kickstarter campaign. We are really excited about the addition of this platform. The early tests we’ve done show a really cool experience on PS3.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm/posts/319352?ref=activity

GopherD

Also from the site

In addition, we’ve been working with the Vita to make sure that the experience is not a compromise from the PC version, as previously promised.

So far, we are blown away by the capabilities of this device – it really has a lot going for it under the hood. We can go from playing a game at 1920x1080 resolution on the PC, then pick up a Vita and feel very little difference in the look or the overall experience.

fixuis

Yes!!!!!!! Ps3 version and vita looking great! Great day :) if we can't get colony wars this will fit the bill nicely.

Some starlight inception news

Mode – a 3D tower defense mode for the game. Try to imagine a top down 2D tower defense game played in 3D with spacefighters and deployable turrets which can be upgraded and repaired on the fly. This is a mode where you can take on the enemy with your fighter, or deploy turrets to help in the task. It is a lot of fun and not scripted like a single player mission. You hold off waves of fighters, and progressively larger (and better armed ships) while protecting your mothership.

Our lead programmer has been hard at work adjusting the lighting model in engine to handle huge areas, as well as generating and debugging versions of the game that work on Vita and PS3. He has also worked out a scheme for using the Vita’s gyroscope / accelerometer to control ships which we’ll be implementing and testing this month.

We did a new pass on the front end UI for the game, and have been working to give it a nice clean look while still being uniquely Starlight. We should have a screenshot of that next month once we’re more final on those revisions.

Still refining the in-game HPUD (HoloPanoramic Display) for the spacefighters, and looking at what it will take to get cockpits to work. The biggest issue with cockpits right now is getting them to be big enough on screen to make a difference in gameplay, while not taking up the entire view. This is definitely a work-in-progress. The first-person camera toggle actually is a fun experience, and gives you the feeling that you are really sitting in a fighter.

Still refining the in-game HPUD (HoloPanoramic Display) for the spacefighters, and looking at what it will take to get cockpits to work. The biggest issue with cockpits right now is getting them to be big enough on screen to make a difference in gameplay, while not taking up the entire view. This is definitely a work-in-progress. The first-person camera toggle actually is a fun experience, and gives you the feeling that you are really sitting in a fighter.

Hopefully they'll be able to get the cockpit view right. I'd love to have a Wing Commander like experience on my Vita.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Figured this would be the best place to post as I'm not sure there is a newer topic for the game that people would be watching. Everyone who helped fund the game should have received an email about filling out a survey for them, just really what version of the game would you prefer and some details on stuff.

I noticed PS3 is on the list of versions, I thought they were only doing Vita along with PC, I choose Vita anyway as that was the version I originally funded for, would be neat if we could get crossbuy out of this though.

gabbo

Figured this would be the best place to post as I'm not sure there is a newer topic for the game that people would be watching. Everyone who helped fund the game should have received an email about filling out a survey for them, just really what version of the game would you prefer and some details on stuff.

I noticed PS3 is on the list of versions, I thought they were only doing Vita along with PC, I choose Vita anyway as that was the version I originally funded for, would be neat if we could get crossbuy out of this though.

Got the email a few hours ago. Went with PC download from them

SnowTeeth

Banned
I selected the Vita version as I initially intended. It would be so awesome if it were cross-buy enabled, but I'm not going to complain. Shouldn't be too long now!

Starlight Inception™ PC Beta v 0.1

The wait is over!

The PC Beta v 0.1 is available for download right now. This is our first publicly released version of the beta so we anxiously await your feedback and comments. Please note that everything in this build is subject to be changed, and there will be bugs and issues. In fact, we’d love for you to tell us about any that you find…and also know that we plan to submit the Vita version of this Beta to Sony early next week…

What’s in the Beta:

In this Beta you will be flying one of our favorite ships, the “Lightning”, in the first mission of the game. You will be introduced to the controls and major mechanics of Starlight Inception.

DLing now, PC version

ijed

Anyone pick this up on Early Access? It reminds me alot of Colony Wars. They posted a 2.7gig content update today.

Did some video for it:

http://youtu.be/Tc1U0j-D9pU

Yeah the Colony Wars vibe is great - they've even got the same font :)
Do like the impressions in the vid about it playing better with a gamepad - controls look very similar to CW and being able to adjust your power ratios on the fly sounds great.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm/posts/619405

Vita beta is coming out on the 22nd for backers with a public, free, release the following week.

Yeah got my code today - hoping it works on any region psn store otherwise I'll have to switch my vita over to US account (native AUS/EU here).

Top Bottom