• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starseed Pilgrim - Searching for Starseeds Man [out now on Steam]

Or just play it like the rest of us... it's not like the game requires prior working knowledge of codes like Fez did.

Fez was much easier to understand.

I get that you jump higher on certain materials, but if you reach any of the black areas, it's game over. Again. Even RPS seems to have hit that wall.

Anyway, the gameplay vids seem to make it a bit more sensical but...not much. I like the atmosphere but probably would not have bought it based on a (theoretical) demo. Maybe it unlocks further down the line, I'll come back to it in the future, I guess

Played this for 40 minutes and got the
key to the lock
but I did not understand exactly what I had done. So I was about the make an angry post that I wasted $6.

I decided to stop and think about what exactly I was trying to accomplish.
When it finally hit me that I had seeds after bringing the key to the lock which made me think that growing the first world is as significant as the second. So after returning the game, twenty minutes later I reach a another island and I received an upgrade.
So after that I think is a cool game but I think I will play it in small chunks, like every time I
get a key to a lock
I will stop.

Chrysalis

Purchase and haven't gotten a steam key yet. Just playing off the desktop. Does anybody know how to save the game? Does it autosave?

Enjoying it a lot but don't want to lose my progress (yes, progress :p)

ALSO: Once you cross that initial hump of learning:
Connect to lock, Get key, collect heart, build base to new base, repeat
Does the game really have anything new to offer beyond that point?

Blizzard

Banned
I like my tree :) Fantastic experience. This game single-handedly rejuvenated my trust in the creative power of videogames. I was definitely considering making a thread about this as well, but I cant take care of more than ... 3 threads atm.

Also, for other Indie Games like these, check out the Indie Games thread!
mOcbrsu.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517647
I have one big question about this thread. I rather like the idea of not being told anything, and discovering. But, your post had a picture in it of something, your
tree
. I'm rather afraid this is either a spoiler to the game, and/or the overall product of something that
you're constructing during the game
. If that is the case, and I've already sort of seen the end or what the game is before starting it?

Also, like Chrysalis, I'd like to know whether the game autosaves before I buy it and potentially lose progress. =P

Played this for 40 minutes and got the
key to the lock
but I did not understand exactly what I had done. So I was about the make an angry post that I wasted $6.

I decided to stop and think about what exactly I was trying to accomplish.
When it finally hit me that I had seeds after bringing the key to the lock which made me think that growing the first world is as significant as the second. So after returning the game, twenty minutes later I reach a another island and I received an upgrade.
So after that I think is a cool game but I think I will play it in small chunks, like every time I
get a key to a lock
I will stop.

It does autosave.

Unless Toma knows something I don't, he did that tree for fun and is unrelated to the "ojectives". It's neat to see that Starseed has things in common with Minecraft though :)

Chrysalis said:
Does the game really have anything new to offer beyond that point?

Check the guide in the OP :p.

Blizzard

Banned
It does autosave.

Unless Toma knows something I don't, he did that tree for fun and is unrelated to the "ojectives". It's neat to see that Starseed has things in common with Minecraft though :)

Check the guide in the OP :p.
Thanks for the replies both of you. I'll pick it up. How often does it autosave? Does it give you any indication like an icon?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have one big question about this thread. I rather like the idea of not being told anything, and discovering. But, your post had a picture in it of something, your
tree
. I'm rather afraid this is either a spoiler to the game, and/or the overall product of something that
you're constructing during the game
. If that is the case, and I've already sort of seen the end or what the game is before starting it?

Also, like Chrysalis, I'd like to know whether the game autosaves before I buy it and potentially lose progress. =P

I was just tinkering with the seeds to create structures ;)

The fuck is going on?! Haha! Too unique for its own damn sake.

I don't know what to do in the dark dimension, I saw someone being able to go down from the "home ward" sign to the next screen.

Well, at least I'm figuring out what each seed does.

i8j7V7aBWLA6J.gif

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH figured it out.

Now that I know how to get the key to the lock, do I go for a key to another lock somewhere else
? Cause it feels like I'm going in circles.

This is my first roguelike btw :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Now that I know how to get the key to the lock, do I go for a key to another lock somewhere else
? Cause it feels like I'm going in circles.

This is my first roguelike btw :p

Haha, apparently. Because its not a roguelike :p

And to your spoilered question:
Explore more and think about how to do that.

picked up this game on a whim last night, got frustrated after about 15 minutes and quit. I'll give it another shot tonight after work, but (super early spoilers, but since we're spoilering basically everything in here)
it feels like what you get from planting seeds is completely random, so there's no way to know what you're going to get/how you're going to go in any given direction. I've run out of seeds and then thrown myself into the darkness and reset because I got frustrated that there was nowhere to really go.

Toma

picked up this game on a whim last night, got frustrated after about 15 minutes and quit. I'll give it another shot tonight after work, but (super early spoilers, but since we're spoilering basically everything in here)
it feels like what you get from planting seeds is completely random, so there's no way to know what you're going to get/how you're going to go in any given direction. I've run out of seeds and then thrown myself into the darkness and reset because I got frustrated that there was nowhere to really go.

Its not random.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, after playing an hour or two, I managed to possibly reset my progress by
accidentally finding a WARNING EVERYTHING WILL BE DELETED screen and getting the starting screen reset back with pink blocks
, unless that was some sort of meta artistic message. I also managed to get to a single
new platform as a starting point after finding a ghost guy with an angel message
. I am hoping that
continuing to look for more platforms is the correct thing to do, and there's a correct "ending" to the game rather than procedural platform generation.

Toma

Well, after playing an hour or two, I managed to possibly reset my progress by
accidentally finding a WARNING EVERYTHING WILL BE DELETED screen and getting the starting screen reset back with pink blocks
, unless that was some sort of meta artistic message. I also managed to get to a single
new platform as a starting point after finding a ghost guy with an angel message
. I am hoping that
continuing to look for more platforms is the correct thing to do, and there's a correct "ending" to the game rather than procedural platform generation.

To your last sentence:

Correct, and yes.

Fenror

Neo Member
I think Blow is overselling this game a bit. I mean I love the idea of getting to figure out mechanics and meaning on your own, but it seems to me like the game focuses more on the moments of discovery than on the things you discover, if that makes sense? None of the mechanics have felt to me particularly satisfying or interesting to use. Of course it's cool to go "oooh, that's how it works," but that feeling only lasts for so long. Having seen some of Blow's talks it's no surprise that he loves it though since a lot of his focus is on creating experiences like that.

I believe Blow tweeted something to the extent of "if you still have questions, you should keep playing," which I think is sound advice. It's just that after about an hour, while there were still questions, I didn't really feel compelled to ask them...

I think Blow is overselling this game a bit. I mean I love the idea of getting to figure out mechanics and meaning on your own, but it seems to me like the game focuses more on the moments of discovery than on the things you discover, if that makes sense? None of the mechanics have felt to me particularly satisfying or interesting to use. Of course it's cool to go "oooh, that's how it works," but that feeling only lasts for so long. Having seen some of Blow's talks it's no surprise that he loves it though since a lot of his focus is on creating experiences like that.

I believe Blow tweeted something to the extent of "if you still have questions, you should keep playing," which I think is sound advice. It's just that after about an hour, while there were still questions, I didn't really feel compelled to ask them...

The discovery is the first part of the game, but there are challenges based on mechanics. I actually should amend my original post - they are actually damn hard! I think as more people play the game there will be some cool YouTube videos that at least show the mechanics are interesting, well thought out, etc. That said I enjoyed the discovery element of the game most, but that's a personal preference.

I think Blow's quote is actually great for how to approach Starseed or any other game. If you feel that you've had enough or don't like it then stop playing - it's a game. The game isn't for everyone, but I don't think anyone could say it flat out "sucks". Hell that's another great thing about Starseed - it unapologetically does not aim to be a people pleaser or a product of focus testing. There's no feedback loop either, not even a Zelda treasure chest melody or Gears of War dong.

Fenror

Neo Member
The discovery is the first part of the game, but there are challenges based on mechanics. I actually should amend my original post - they are actually damn hard! I think as more people play the game there will be some cool YouTube videos that at least show the mechanics are interesting, well thought out, etc. That said I enjoyed the discovery element of the game most, but that's a personal preference.

I think Blow's quote is actually great for how to approach Starseed or any other game. If you feel that you've had enough or don't like it then stop playing - it's a game. The game isn't for everyone, but I don't think anyone could say it flat out "sucks". Hell that's another great thing about Starseed - it unapologetically does not aim to be a people pleaser or a product of focus testing. There's no feedback loop either, not even a Zelda treasure chest melody or Gears of War dong.
Yeah it definitely doesn't suck and I think it would be really cool to get hooked on a game that's so completely curiosity driven. I mean curiosity is a pretty basic human response yet it's so rarely used as the main driving force in games. I think the "genre" has a lot of potential and possibly Starseed will not be insignificant to its evolution.

Another game I think is cool in this regard is the binding of isaac. Of course it's not as overtly about discovery as starseed, and it's obvious how you're supposed to progress -- but it's similar in the sense that all it tells you is how to move and shoot and the rest you pretty much have to figure out yourself. So yeah while Starseed in particular wasn't really for me, I love what it does and I hope it inspires many games.

Toma

I got a Steam key for buying the game previously. The dev is nice.

Yeah, I am giving mine away for the best Haiku you see in this thread ;) Dont need my Steam key. I'll announce the winner in a few hours.

Blizzard

Banned
As a curiosity-based game, we should rename this to "curiosity: what's around the cube" or something. I'm sure if we compared it to the Peter Molyneux experiment, people would love to try it out. :p

There is a bit of a feedback loop early I think. While there may be no XP popups or stuff, one sound effect I -really- like is the red block.
tick tick tick BRANG

As a curiosity-based game, we should rename this to "curiosity: what's around the cube" or something. I'm sure if we compared it to the Peter Molyneux experiment, people would love to try it out. :p

There is a bit of a feedback loop early I think. While there may be no XP popups or stuff, one sound effect I -really- like is the red block.
tick tick tick BRANG

Yeah I'll edit out the Sugar Man stuff tonight and ask a mod to change the title after work.

And yeah that's a great sound.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I wasn't actually serious. I was joking because I assume people would hate or shy away from anything Molyneux or curiosity related, and it was also a weird sort of open-ended experiment.

What did you accomplish? (spoiler tag it)
I've found
a handful of suits. I've seen triple star locks but haven't been able to unlock one yet. Kinda feels like a bit of a grind collecting seeds even with the green suit.

Not really looking for hints as I do find stuff each time I play, just felt like sharing my thoughts. The game is getting
a little more cryptic as I play on.

I've found
a handful of suits. I've seen triple star locks but haven't been able to unlock one yet. Kinda feels like a bit of a grind collecting seeds even with the green suit.

Not really looking for hints as I do find stuff each time I play, just felt like sharing my thoughts. The game is getting
a little more cryptic as I play on.

time to start making a
map

Hofmann

Well, why not giving it a try.

Under bright sky, waiting,

For those brave enough to die.

Darkness consumes all.

Glitch related to the ending
So I stumbled across the credits or some sort of game over screen by accident... pretty weird. Not sure what I did, didn't make any sense to me either way, but worth noting the warning.

Toma

Glitch related to the ending
So I stumbled across the credits or some sort of game over screen by accident... pretty weird. Not sure what I did, didn't make any sense to me either way, but worth noting the warning.

Thats not the ending.

RE: Post 85 Fuck.
I manage to open the 3 key lock I was mentioning earlier and I screwed it up on the next screen. I hate it when games punish you like that.

Here's a hint that everyone should take but I was too stupid to realise until a few hours in, will will spoiler just in case:
The levels are not where you should be getting better at, it's your homebase. Had completely opposite goal in mind. That homebase you come back to each screen is a garden that can also be planted on! I thought the concrete stuff wouldn't be able to.
XD

ibdsNy2URF82WA.jpg

Am up to here, and it's a bitch when you can't shovel the blocks. This is when you've got to really pay attention to what seeds you want to plant. FUCK YOU DARK GREEN!

Made a lot of progress, got to the 2nd
suit

ib253LT822MJmJ.jpg

2 keys feels good, I wonder what 3 keys would do...oh well, that'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Reds are a lifesaver.

This game is weird.

Played for a couple hours making some solid progress. Now I'm over it. Feel like it's probably just more
cryptic messages and suits and base building.
That's cool but the core gameplay mechanic just doesn't seem like it's 5 more hours worth of fun. Neat concept though and the whole presentation is pretty slick. Worth 5 bucks.

taoofjord

Thanks for the heads up, this looks like my kind of game. Just played it for a few minutes before I'm off to work and really liking it so far.

Starseed Pilgrim is a fun game to play in the background. Played loads while listening to the latest Bombcast and they mention the game just as I was playing!

But just because it's an abstract exploration/gardening sim, doesn't mean it's relaxing when black holes are out to eat you!

Starseed Pilgrim is a fun game to play in the background. Played loads while listening to the latest Bombcast and they mention the game just as I was playing!

But just because it's an abstract exploration/gardening sim, doesn't mean it's relaxing when black holes are out to eat you!

Yeah hopefully Starseed will get more attention when Klepek plays it.

Blizzard

Banned
Played for a couple hours making some solid progress. Now I'm over it. Feel like it's probably just more
cryptic messages and suits and base building.
That's cool but the core gameplay mechanic just doesn't seem like it's 5 more hours worth of fun. Neat concept though and the whole presentation is pretty slick. Worth 5 bucks.
I feel like this may be the case, unless someone can confirm that it changes significantly after 6 hours or 8 hours or something when you reach the actual ending.

Exploration is there, but I'm not sure how compelling the exploration actually is. That part could perhaps be better.

Top Bottom