• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Started playing Breath of The Wild again

juliotendo

For some odd reason I started playing breath of the wild again and started with a new game right from the beginning. I’ve done this a few times with this particular game and I never seem to get bored of it.

I don’t know why but I find playing this game to be a very relaxing experience. Just exploring and finding new things. Just wandering.

Am I the only one? This game is truly a masterpiece in my opinion.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Heh, I just bought the Switch version the other day after never finishing the Wii U version, and I'm having the opposite experience as you. I still hate the weapon durability system as much as I initially did. Completely ruins the game for me and makes combat as well as managing my weapons way more stressful than it should be.

BOTW2 will be an insanely easy pass for me if they keep that system.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah this game is a masterpiece. the highlight is just the world. it really feels like a living open world, with custom hand-crafted stuff around every corner.

i beat the game for the first time earlier this year and recently started a new game so i could experience it all over again. plus there is a lot of stuff i missed the first time around, lots of town things, mini stories, little side missions, etc. it's insane how much crafted content is stuffed into the world.

Reactions: Isa

John Day

I haven’t dedicated as much as i should or want to the game, and i hace it since it launched.

I need to try to sit and play it on the tv (ive used my switch in portable mode since i bought it).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Being a big Zelda fan, I was very disappointed with botw. Hated the durability, hated how hard it was to get into this game.

It could have been so great.
It was the artists original vision for the game you should respect that. #SOULS

The only issue I have with BoTW is no traditional dungeons. I don't even really need nifty awesome weapons and items that I have grown up loving as new Zelda games came out but I need to feel the sense of a dungeon and the Divine beasts were small little quirky mini games compared to what a dungeon should feel like.

Ulysses 31

Started a new game recently on Master Quest difficulty, enjoying it more than I though I would.

I don't like how fast things break but on the other hand, it makes you pick your fights carefully at the beginning and looking for ways to fight with other means. Normal was a little too easy IMO. Sneaking around is also more satisfying and now I'll be more inclined to use food buffs also. I also like doing hit and run/loot attacks on the floating chests in this mode. This mode will also make me appreciate the fallen heroes buff more. :lollipop_grinning:

Didn't play any of the DLC yet and looking forward to that too!

I didnt care for it after the bloom came off the rose and considering how awful and unsatisfying it was to 100% it I have no real interest in playing it again. It isn't even fun to just ride around killing stuff for kicks since weapons are always breaking or recharging.
I still consider it a must play, but yes. The level of bullshit and anti fun game design makes skyward sword's fi and padding look like a non issue.

Needless to say I'm concerned for the sequel. And they said they're taking inspiration from red dead 2?! God help us all.

Codes 208

I actually did the same thing. The BotW2 trailer got me wanting to play through the game again. (Master quest specifically)

What i enjoy about the game is i end up doing different things through different playthroughs, like my last playthough i went straight into the action of getting all the memories and master sword.

This time? Idk, im thinking of changing things up by doing the gerudo or goron quests first. But that's the beauty, its not linear and i can play in whatever order i want thus i have over 700 hours played into this game just from experimentation.

It really is a lot like skyrim in that regard for better or worse.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

For some odd reason I started playing breath of the wild again and started with a new game right from the beginning. I’ve done this a few times with this particular game and I never seem to get bored of it.

I don’t know why but I find playing this game to be a very relaxing experience. Just exploring and finding new things. Just wandering.

Exactly what i liked about ocarina of time. I could take my time and do stuff the way i wanted it to do. It was super relaxing. Sadly majora's mask didn't really got that memo and bailed out of zelda after it.

Breath of the wild was exactly what ocarina was, sadly the handheld is a pain to hold and plugging it into my a screen made the visuals so janky i couldn't enjoy it much.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i can sympathize w the desire for traditional dungeons. this is what has me most hyped for a sequel. still, Hyrule Castle itself was amazing, probably the size of a couple of dungeons, with multiple entrances, all these areas with cool stuff to loot. there were a lot of cool sides areas in the open world as well. there is so much to see and do in the world, had they made dungeons, it would have to be a totally different game.

tbh you really don't have to fight the Divine Beasts at all, correct? so even if they are the worst part, you can ignore them. just go kill Ganon. do a bunch of shrines to level up and not even bother with the Beasts. i love how they designed the game so that is an option.

the weapon durability, i love it. other games i just use one weapon over and over, there is no reason not to, i am used to combat, i am leveling up that weapon, why not? so now i am forced to switch it up. it is a design choice. it facilitates a certain style of play. the Blood Moon is such a cool concept, everything in the game refreshing, not just enemies but loot as well. so your precious weapon breaking is not a problem, drop your weapon icon on the map, and go get it again.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hey, I booted this game up today too! I completed the "mask recovery" Yiga Clan mission in the Gerudo desert. Then I'll fight the final divine beast and head over to Hyrule Castle to beat the game. I'm clocked at over 85 hours and I'll probably finish the game around the 100 hour mark if I make a beeline toward the end.

Terenty

Botw is a masterpiece...for the first 20 or so hours imho, then it becomes obvious how little interesting content there is. Theres no point in fighting the same mobs because theres no reward, no point in farming resources because the game is piss easy no need for advanced equipment, there are no artifacts, unique items etc. Its a barren world almost devoid of any excitment, only shrines, koroks and... thats it

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Its a barren world almost devoid of any excitment, only shrines, koroks and...

no. it isn't. "open world" has gotten such a bad wrap nowadays, and people always say "there's nothing to do". that is false. you can play in this world for hundreds of hours entirely ignoring the main story. there is so much content. so many side missions that have unique character interactions and cool quests that lead you to interesting parts of the world. this bullshit myth of there being nothing to do is so absurd.

kunonabi

no. it isn't. "open world" has gotten such a bad wrap nowadays, and people always say "there's nothing to do". that is false. you can play in this world for hundreds of hours entirely ignoring the main story. there is so much content. so many side missions that have unique character interactions and cool quests that lead you to interesting parts of the world. this bullshit myth of there being nothing to do is so absurd.

The game is a copy/paste, palette swap bonanza in terms of the content that you actually engage with though. The game absolutely cut corners in some areas to fill the world and it becomes a bigger issue the more and more you play it.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Idk. I liked it but it has its issues imo. Exploring is fun at first, starts to get repetitive when you’re coming across the same shrines/enemy camps/stables over and over. My main problems with it though were lack of diversity in the dungeons and bosses, and how lackluster the story was. It felt almost nonexistent sometimes and there was really no feeling of progression at all.

I do really like the world itself, the art style, and the core gameplay is fun. But those issues are pretty big for me.

lucius

It is brilliant game design, I have no problem with with weapons durability I like it that way. Master Quest mode I almost gave up but it becomes easier after a while. I still have some of the DLC to try so I will go back again but I am playing Skyrim again on my switch. BOTW and LTTP are my fav Zelda games.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I didnt care for it after the bloom came off the rose and considering how awful and unsatisfying it was to 100% it I have no real interest in playing it again. It isn't even fun to just ride around killing stuff for kicks since weapons are always breaking or recharging.

I've rarely seen a game so directly polarizing. It's not even that Crowd A and Crowd B focus on different strengths and weaknesses, as in most games... instead, they have exactly the same list, but evaluate every item exactly opposite:

Crowd A:
- every inch of the world is alive
- the combat is a joy of improvisation given the challenge of durability

Crowd B:
- the world is lifeless, empty
- the combat is the worst, breaking weapons breaks the game

(I'm in Crowd A, to be clear -- and I've been playing Zelda avidly since the first entry on the NES hit shelves in the US)

I suspect it comes down to the devs taking a highly opinionated stance on how open-world should operate. They throw out most of the Skyrim-esque expectations around loading out your best weapons, replacing it with a constant strategizing around what is available; and their way of drawing out the world refuses the usual methods of having many characters with dialogue trees etc, and instead opts for a world of systems (weather, items, ingredients, elements, etc) and tactile details in animation & sound.

I'm curious how the game's detractors and fans rate other open-world experiences. For me, something like Skyrim is so mind-numbing that it makes me want to step out of gaming entirely. I also hate when "completion" is even a comprehensible word; and I mean that in the full sense, that if "completion" is something a game invites as a primary player goal, it must be built around explicit quests and collections in a way that makes it irredeemably tedious and time-wasting. Not being expected--and barely even able--to find all the Koroks or other things makes sense to me, and is a deliberate decision to make you think about moving through the world's secrets as an adventure, never as a matter of filling out a defined loot grid or checklist or whatever.

Yep, it has very high replay-ability. There are a few chore parts (eg traversing Zora's domain in the rain, that damn Gerudo beast) but rediscovering shrines and generally finding korok seeds is still fresh a second time through due to the fine tuned gameplay mechanics.

It's a fucking boring game where you spend the majority of the time walking around doing nothing.

That's just like, your opinion man.

Last edited:

anonychus

Neo Member
Still surprised so many people have issues with the weapon durability system. I thought it was fantastic and was actually almost disappointed in how easy it was to get weapons. Even after maxing weapon/bow/shield inventory I was always leaving behind really good items cause I had a surplus of em. I'm not sure exactly what part of it people dislike.

That said, I can totally see where people are coming from when they complain about things like the story or variety of bosses. I love the game anyway.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m also thinking re-playing this, I personally really enjoyed my time with it.

Unfortunately there is way too many too many games coming out, especially August and September going be packed.

Oh and if something is really hard, sit down for 20 minutes and experiment with cooking. Loaded up on certain stat-altering foods, link goes from squishy soy boy to invincible monster. You can do that with some surprisingly common and basic ingredients.

Let's make a list in order of importance:

1) USE COOL WEAPONS ALWAYS, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE MORE TO FIND (THEY RESPAWN with the blood moon). DON'T Let them clutter up your inventory. Later on you get a house, you can store some cool weapons in there.

2) Use cooking in tough situations. It is OP and allows for some cool gameplay experimentation.

3) SKIP SHRINES YOU FIND TEDIOUS. Just stop, turn around, exit and never think about it again. There's over 100. Doing 30-40 of the best ones is enough.

4) Actually use korok seeds to expand your inventory. 4) + 1) = no inventory management problems, a big 'problem' with the game eliminated.

5) INVEST IN STAMINA. Stamina uber alles. Fuck hearts. Most food buffs give you extra hearts. Stamina turns you into Spiderman. Heart hoarding let's you get the master sword early, but even that breaks.

6) Fairies and equipment upgrades make a big difference. It is the primary way to 'level up'. A link in peasant gear vs link in maxed armor set gear is 10x stronger.

7) Physics and Chemical reactions. There are so many way to kill a mob of enemies. Burn, electrify, freeze, squish with heavy items, send into the air so they die from fall damage, lure into traps you set, or a combination of the above. Elemental jelly is your friend. And remember you can tie balloons to things and make them float, i.e ALL THINGS. You can turn your boat into a speed boat. etc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it a lot, but not as much as the other 3D console Zeldas. Dungeons are my favorite part of these games and they were lacking here and I’ve never been big in exploring open worlds or messing around in sandboxes so a lot of the appeal of the game was lost on me.

But I still had a good enough time with it as it was very polished and the combat was simple, but fun. And it was still Zelda and I love the IP.

Orenji Neko

Funny this thread comes up as I've been thinking about playing through it again. Already 100% it on normal, then did it again on Master Mode; basically dumped an ungodly amount of time into this game and I loved it. It's right up there with LoZ and LttP as far as my favorite Zelda games go. When I play it, it somehow recreates that feeling I had playing the first Zelda all those many years ago in the 80's.

weapon durability was fine as it allowed to fill the void world with items.

I guess it didnt bother me considering how unnecessary fighting was.

ROMhack

The exploration aspect is the best part of the game. I turned off the HUD straight away and spent most of the game trying to figure out how to get from A to B, whilst listening to the amazingly atmospheric soundtrack. I can easily imagine it not being as good if you're wanting it to be a straight up action game with classic dungeons.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I still haven't finished it lol.

I've only just defeated the second divine beast (volcano one). i'm about 60 hours in so far I think. i'm just taking my time with it since I don't want it to ever end and BOTW2 likely won't be out until 2021.

protonion

Zelda is my favourite franchise.
I traded botw less than 10 hours in. If I ever want to die of boredom I will consider replaying it.

The only memories I have is travelling through emptiness for several minutes with the only event finding a korok seed under a bridge and I think Kakariko village where someone told me some story stuff. That particular cut-scene put me to sleep.

And I don't even want to remember the garbage weapon system, laughable voice overs, tacked on survival shit, lack of dungeons and boring combat.

Worst Zelda ever and a terrible open world game.
4/10

Absolutely amazing game. BotW is easily one of the highlights of this gen, for me. I just wish that the story was as strong as previous entries (and that there was a more memorable core soundtrack). Hopefully the follow up addresses these minor gripes. 🍺

Happy gaming OP!

Last edited:
It seems to me, if I remember well, that I spent more than 200/250 hours in it... I could never play it a second time, even though I bought Switch just for that one. (and a few others)
Sometimes I put it back up and play it just to fool around in Hyrule and kill some monsters. xD

Top Bottom