• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2: the next Xbox system seller?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I really think this game will absolutely bring new customers to the Xbox One ecosystem.

I am a huge fan of cooperative loot games like Diablo 3, Borderlands and the Division so State of Decay 2 looks to be right up my alley.

The fact they have base building and in depth resource management systems is the icing on the cake. No other cooperative game has captured the Walking Dead vibe so well either.

Anyone else agree with me?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I think its an intriguing title, but I'm not sold on the idea of it being a console seller. The original game was great fun, and I'm sure the sequel will sell well, but I just don't see it as something that people will have held out for over buying a console.

Nope.

Its not that big of a franchise and it doesnt have the marketing necessary for it. Besides the game is not as polished or refined as the top AAA titles around.

Last edited:

Leonidas

It definitely has the potential to be a hit, seems a lot more polished than the original and the first one was one of the highest selling XBLA games ever. With Game Pass it could become an even bigger hit than the original was.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Nope.

Its not that big of a franchise and it doesnt have the marketing necessary for it. Besides the game is not as polished or refined as the top AAA titles around.

I do get what you are saying but the IGN FIRST series on State of Decay 2 really sold me on it. I had no interest in the first game but this one looks really refined. Animation in particular is very smooth and the depth of the base building/ community relations systems is pretty impressive to me.

I am excited.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Another distinction I should mention is that there is nothing quite like it either on Switch or PS4.

Also, how the hell is this game $40 and Sea of Thieves $60?

Last edited:

Unity2012

Yeah, I'll have to agree with most, I dont see it as a system seller; but a really fun game with lots of options, co-op and a decent prize. I hope more people give this gem a try.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I hope it finds success. Xbox needs an exclusive hit right now. Sea of Thieves sold well but that game is a garbage fire, IMO. So boring.

Codes 208

Another distinction I should mention is that there is nothing quite like it either on Switch or PS4.

Also, how the hell is this game $30 and Sea of Thieves $60?
The first game was a XBLA title, its a relatively small team. Rare is a huge first party dev, it shouldnt be surprising that ms is pushing out their games $60

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally more in to Japanese games and single player games so my answer is no. But for people who own Xbox One or interested getting one are also people who enjoy MP focus games, so this game might be perfect for them.

Leonidas

I personally more in to Japanese games and single player games so my answer is no. But for people who own Xbox One or interested getting one are also people who enjoy MP focus games, so this game might be perfect for them.

The original game was single player only and the State of Decay 2 can be played fully in single player as well...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
7/10 is my guess. Not a top tier game, hence the $40 price.

I do get what you are saying but the IGN FIRST series on State of Decay 2 really sold me on it. I had no interest in the first game but this one looks really refined. Animation in particular is very smooth and the depth of the base building/ community relations systems is pretty impressive to me.

I am excited.

It does look interesting but its not in the same league as a Horizon, GOW or TLOU or something like that.

Besides, Isnt it coming out on PC as well?

EBE

it wont move console units (Sea of Thieves didnt, despite its success) but it should do nicely, i think. the first was a standout hit that has maintained a cult favorite status and this one--by all appearances--is a larger and better refined version of that.

$40 pricetage and gamepass will ensure a healthy playerbase

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
it wont move console units (Sea of Thieves didnt, despite its success) but it should do nicely, i think. the first was a standout hit that has maintained a cult favorite status and this one--by all appearances--is a larger and better refined version of that.

$40 pricetage and gamepass will ensure a healthy playerbase

Well my wife and I both have Xbox One Xs for our co op gaming but if we didn't, I would be making that purchase immediately.

State of Decay 2 is appealing to me on several levels.

Vasto

I am super excited for this game. It will give me my Left 4 Dead fix that I have been longing for.

State Of Decay 2 has the potential to be a system seller.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I will wait for reviews. I heard decent things about the first one, but I felt it was really mediocre. I don't think this will sell consoles at all, but it could be a bonus for those who already have the system.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The original game was single player only and the State of Decay 2 can be played fully in single player as well...
Oh I didn't know that. Base on some gameplay footage I saw it felt like one of those games that had no story or characters and you would mostly doing missions to keep the survivors alive.

Redshirt

Banned
No idea if it will sell systems (considering it's on PC as well), but if it gets the kind of word of mouth the first one did, I could see it.

The first game was amazing once it got its hooks in you, and now we have co-op. Just remains to be seen how well the RPG/base building aspects work in a co-op environment.

Last edited:

EBE

Well my wife and I both have Xbox One Xs for our co op gaming but if we didn't, I would be making that purchase immediately.

State of Decay 2 is appealing to me on several levels.
I mean I'm really excited for it too but it won't be a massive hit. Pubg this ain't.

octiny

Banned
As much as I'm looking forward to trying it out. System seller? Lol definitely not.

Most likely a good fun game? Yes.

Valdega

SoD isn't a loot game. It's a survival game. Comparisons to Borderlands/Diablo/The Division seem entirely inaccurate.

In any case, it's not a killer app. I don't think MS has any. Halo and Gears of War no longer resonate like they used to and Forza only appeals to racing fans. They seriously need to push more new IP. Sea of Thieves had a ton of potential but failed pretty hard. Scalebound was canceled. Project Spark and Quantum Break were flops. We'll see what MS has to offer at E3.

EDMIX

I think its an intriguing title, but I'm not sold on the idea of it being a console seller. The original game was great fun, and I'm sure the sequel will sell well, but I just don't see it as something that people will have held out for over buying a console.

Agreed.

That and its also coming to PC, which sorta contradicts it being a "system seller" if someone can play it without buying a XONE.

I'm sure it will help somewhat to sell more consoles. From what I've seen, the game is looking good. I'm definitely on board to pick it up when it's released. I had a blast with the first State of Decay, and I hope to continue having a blast in the sequel.

xviper

it's gonna be released and barely anyone knows about it like Dishonored 2 and Deus ex: MD

Xbox one currently will never have system seller because there is no true exclusives for the system

VertigoOA

Banned
System seller? Hell no. There haven’t been ANY system sellers on the Xbox.

I’m not even trying to rip on this. It’ll definitely be far more enjoyable of game than Sea of Thieves is not but you’re talking crazy.

DavidGzz

I think so. Especially if they keep up with updating it. I can't wait for it. Sure, it doesn't have the production values of GoW but it will sure last me longer. I'll be playing co-op with my kids. Looks like a much more fun and polished replacement for 7 Days to Die.

Last edited:
I'm actually really looking forward to State of Decay 2 but It's not a system seller but it will certainly help bolster its lineup. I don't think Ori is a system seller either, nor is Crackdown, but they all help.

Nah, it's a solid addition to the lineup though.

FH4 might be a system seller though, especially in the UK...

Also if Crackdown 3 actually pulls off something new in the multiplayer department, that could be cool too.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Agreed.

That and its also coming to PC, which sorta contradicts it being a "system seller" if someone can play it without buying a XONE.

Thanks to their "Play Anywhere" initiative, all Microsoft published games are no longer truly exclusive.

I am still not quite sure how Microsoft believes that is healthy for the Xbox platform but whatever.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Heh, I still think it's funny how hardcore gamers who have a gaming rig think they are the majority. Late console adopters are casual. Casual gamers don't have gaming PC's, they have pre-builts from Walmart that couldn't run SoD2 at 10 fps.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Not likely.

Especially when its already coming to PC day and date.
Well its coming to GP day and date so, probably MS should just cancel it before it releases.

Jesus... Some of this shit physically hurts to read.

Top Bottom