• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2: the next Xbox system seller?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Let's try to moderate the language, specially for something as inocuos as an opinion about a game.
It does look interesting but its not in the same league as a Horizon, GOW or TLOU or something like that.

Besides, Isnt it coming out on PC as well?
Who in the hell said it was trying to compete with any of those games?!

And frankly, you know fuck all about how well this game will perform until its out in the wild.

Is it just me?! What in the actual f***?!

Gavon West

As much as I'm looking forward to trying it out. System seller? Lol definitely not.

Most likely a good fun game? Yes.
Okay. I'm confused.

So if fun games aren't the type to be system sellers, which ones are? Lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Okay. I'm confused.

No need to get so defensive when someone doesn't have the same opinion of a game as you. A game can be fun (as many games are), but won't be reason to buy a particular console. I thought Mario + Rabbids is a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it a system seller (that would be Mario Odyssey or Zelda). I consider Demon Souls to be a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it a reason to buy a PS3.

As for your "complaints" about someone comparing SoD2 to GoW, HZD, or TLoU - those games are commonly considered "system sellers". The main question of this thread is if SoD2 would sell consoles, aka: be a system seller. It is perfectly fine to compare SoD2 to other, known system sellers.

I would suggest cooling your head a bit.

Also as an aside, you can multi-quote instead of having 4 posts back to back to back, if you didn't know.

WaterAstro

From my experience with the first one, definitely not.

It's an open world game that isn't very engaging in its story and not as fun as a Far Cry or Just Cause. That comparison is even giving it higher praise than it deserves.

Edit: Holy Geez, Gavon. You should just put your replies in one. There's a multiquote function that you can use.

Last edited:

Gavon West

No need to get so defensive when someone doesn't have the same opinion of a game as you. A game can be fun (as many games are), but won't be reason to buy a particular console. I thought Mario + Rabbids is a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it a system seller (that would be Mario Odyssey or Zelda). I consider Demon Souls to be a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it a reason to buy a PS3.

As for your "complaints" about someone comparing SoD2 to GoW, HZD, or TLoU - those games are commonly considered "system sellers". The main question of this thread is if SoD2 would sell consoles, aka: be a system seller. It is perfectly fine to compare SoD2 to other, known system sellers.

I would suggest cooling your head a bit.

Also as an aside, you can multi-quote instead of having 4 posts back to back to back, if you didn't know.
Nah. Its not defensive at all. Just your post actually made no sense. Fun games are absolutely have the potential to be system sellers. SoD2 is no different.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Nah. Its not defensive at all. Just your post actually made no sense. Fun games are absolutely have the potential to be system sellers. SoD2 is no different.
No, system sellers have to be crazy special to get to that status. I don't even think one of Xbox best games, Forza Horizon 2, is at that status, imo, because it just isn't special or unique enough to make a wave of non-Xbox owners to buy it in droves. Also the fact that Microsoft makes Forza games every year.

A new Halo is a system seller, or even Gears of War. Games that are really special to people and marketed well sells systems. Heck, even Sea of Thieves could have been a system seller because of how unique it is if it wasn't reviewed so poorly since the game is lacking. If the criteria for system seller is just to be fun, then that's just an blanket, apply-all statement because everything will sell systems, but to be called system sellers is to have the ability to move millions of console sales. I don't think State of Decay will do that.

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
I don't see why. People who want to play it probably will get in on PC for max experience. Console users who want it will already have an Xbox. Why would anyone outside of these platforms care? This IP is not exactly wildly popular like a BF or a CoD. Add the over used Zombie motif and I doubt anyone is buying a new system for this. I am still looking forward to it on PC. The first had promise but was very limited which made suck in the long run. Hopefully these faults are corrected.

Calibos

On a large scale, probably not. It will move some of fence people maybe though.

If it’s amazing, word of mouth could make it a massive hit though. That could cause the needle to move on systems.

Also, it’s getting old comparing everything Xbox to Horizon, GoW, TLoU and Uncharted. In reality, no games on any platform compare to these. Style, polish and class of their own in my opinion.

Murdoch

I bought one on Wednesday because it comes out in a few weeks. I'm currently replaying state of decay 1 to prep myself. Does this answer the question? :)

Dlacy13g

I don't know if State of Decay 2 is going to be considered " a system seller " on its own but it's going to further highlight the value of Game Pass and Game Pass I think certainly is becoming a system seller.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't know if State of Decay 2 is going to be considered " a system seller " on its own but it's going to further highlight the value of Game Pass and Game Pass I think certainly is becoming a system seller.

Good point.

It's an open world game that isn't very engaging in its story and not as fun as a Far Cry or Just Cause. That comparison is even giving it higher praise than it deserves.

State of Decay isn't really that type of game. Sure, it's open world but also a survival game with finite resources, RPG elements, base building, hardcore deaths, player-driven stories and so on.

octiny

Banned
Okay. I'm confused.

You literally can say that for 80% of the games out there, that doesn't make them system sellers.

System sellers are just that & in MS world that would be Halo, GOW, Forza & so forth. On the Sony side you have your Uncharted, GoW, Horizon & TLOU.

SOD2 just isn't on the same level nor has the marketing push to even attempt it or label it as.

It may HELP *justify* an XB purchase and/or with gamepass, but the masses aren't to going to rush out to buy an Xbox just to play SOD2 as they would for the games mentioned above &
there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. No one expected it to be, it's a sequel to an indie title after all with a small marketing push outside of gamepass. Again, this doesn't
mean the game isn't going to be insanely fun, but it'd be foolish to put it the same league as above mentioned games in terms of potentially pushing consoles off the shelves.

And frankly, you know fuck all about how well this game will perform until its out in the wild.

Why are you getting so mad at posters dude?

No one said it's trying to compete with those games. We're just saying it's not on the same level for a magnitude of obvious reasons listed in multiple postings.

It was never meant to be, but I can definitely see people grabbing gamepass because of it.

Vawn

Banned
I consider Demon Souls to be a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it a reason to buy a PS3.

Probably not a great example. Maybe Demon's Souls wasn't getting many to buy PS3s at it's launch, but I heard of more than a few 360 owners had to play it after experiencing Dark Souls on Xbox.

Codes 208

Probably not a great example. Maybe Demon's Souls wasn't getting many to buy PS3s at it's launch, but I heard of more than a few 360 owners had to play it after experiencing Dark Souls on Xbox.
It was still a heavily niche title. If it werent for gaf i would keep forgetting it exists. And a imo bloodborne was a bigger system seller because at this point from had a reputation for these amazing games.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I loved the first one, i cant wait to play, i dont think its a console seller, no everyone like these type of games.

the.acl

My money is on no. I dont expect a true system seller until we see crackdown 3 or maybe halo 6
Not a fanboy of any console, I own all three.

But I'm really tired of seeing Xbox continuing to make Halo, Gears, and Forza. Getting lame. At the moment PS4 is killing it with original exclusives.

If Microsoft makes a new Fable game that might be a new console seller.

Codes 208

Not a fanboy of any console, I own all three.

But I'm really tired of seeing Xbox continuing to make Halo, Gears, and Forza. Getting lame. At the moment PS4 is killing it with original exclusives.

If Microsoft makes a new Fable game that might be a new console seller.
I was never bugged by the xbox trifecta. Mainly because i like halo and gears. Theyre why i had an xbox. But sony has been pumping many more excusives and ms keeps dropping the ball these last couple of years.

Texas Pride

Banned

If you're this hostile defending a video game you're going to be popular on ignore lists.

EDMIX

Thanks to their "Play Anywhere" initiative, all Microsoft published games are no longer truly exclusive.

I am still not quite sure how Microsoft believes that is healthy for the Xbox platform but whatever.

Exactly. Thats great for MS as a whole, but questions the point of even making XB as a console if they just want software sales. Wouldn't be shocked if they went 3rd party, they are already making multiplatform games so. Its hard to have a "system seller" when they are making multiplatform games....

EDMIX

Well its coming to GP day and date so, probably MS should just cancel it before it releases.

Jesus... Some of this shit physically hurts to read.

? why are you so mad? No one said anything about cancelling it, simply that it can't really be a "system seller" if its on many systems in the first place.

EDMIX

If you're this hostile defending a video game you're going to be popular on ignore lists.
Agreed. Already ignored. Some are just blind to this. Its not even saying it will do poorly, simply that a system seller I'd assume would be a game ONLY FOUND on said system, being on PC basically means it can't really be that as much as folks might want, simply because you can own a PC and play this, thus hard to sell a system on a game that many can already play WITHOUT a XONE.

I don't think its going to be a bad game, but even if it was ONLY coming to XONE I don't think it'd be this "system seller" as it just looks like a dated budget game. It literally looks like something you'd see on early access or something. Doesn't mean its bad, but I just don't see system seller with that game. I own a gaming PC and I have no interest in playing this game and I like zombie games.

octiny

Banned
Exactly. Thats great for MS as a whole, but questions the point of even making XB as a console if they just want software sales. Wouldn't be shocked if they went 3rd party, they are already making multiplatform games so. Its hard to have a "system seller" when they are making multiplatform games....

Now that's some hyperbole. Sorry, but clearly there's millions of people whether it's PS4, XB or Switch that will always prefer to play on consoles. So having a game on PC as well doesn't mean squat to them, especially to the general public outside of gaming forums....who believe it or not represent a large percentage who end up buying a console, only to end up just buying a few multi-platform games to play with their friends.

Regarding MS exclusives, it's exclusive to the console world aka not found on another CONSOLE. So someone who is a console only gamer, which I'd bet my left nut is by & large the biggest percentage of people who buy consoles in the first place, again, don't give a shit if a game is on PC. You say multi-platform as an obvious but extremely poor attempt to bring down Xbox fans, but this won't change the fact that you can't get it on the other consoles. So to question whether the Xbox can have a system seller is just hyperbole. Disingenuous comments on this forum won't get you far. Furthermore, consoles never existed so people can play a few exclusives every year, nor was that ever the intended purpose. It was to bring home entertainment to the living room at an affordable price with no fuss involved, plug & play simple at that. So to question the point of a consoles existence is just ridiculous & an insult to people who own an Xbox. People having multiple options is great, is it not? Should we also just get rid of most cars as well, for the mere fact that some cars might offer more options for the same price? Is there not more that goes into the decision making process, let alone personal preference? On a side note, It's abundantly clear why MS lost the sales race this gen & it wasn't because of the games or exclusives (obviously doesn't help the recovery process though).

In any event, while that doesn't change the fact that clearly this particular game doesn't qualify as a "system-seller", nor was it ever intended to be, these kind of BS comments from you have no place. I see you spreading similar crap in multiple threads. We get it, move on.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Now that's some hyperbole. Sorry, but clearly there's millions of people whether it's PS4, XB or Switch that will always prefer to play on consoles. So having a game on PC as well doesn't mean squat to them, especially to the general public outside of gaming forums....who believe it or not represent a large percentage who end up buying a console, only to end up just buying a few multi-platform games to play with their friends.

Regarding MS exclusives, it's exclusive to the console world aka not found on another CONSOLE. So someone who is a console only gamer, which I'd bet my left nut is by & large the biggest percentage of people who buy consoles in the first place, again, don't give a shit if a game is on PC. You say multi-platform as an obvious but extremely poor attempt to bring down Xbox fans, but this won't change the fact that you can't get it on the other consoles. So to question whether the Xbox can have a system seller is just hyperbole. Disingenuous comments on this forum won't get you far. Furthermore, consoles never existed so people can play a few exclusives every year, nor was that ever the intended purpose. It was to bring home entertainment to the living room at an affordable price with no fuss involved, plug & play simple at that. So to question the point of a consoles existence is just ridiculous & an insult to people who own an Xbox. People having multiple options is great, is it not? Should we also just get rid of most cars as well, for the mere fact that some cars might offer more options for the same price? Is there not more that goes into the decision making process, let alone personal preference? On a side note, It's abundantly clear why MS lost the sales race this gen & it wasn't because of the games or exclusives (obviously doesn't help the recovery process though).

In any event, while that doesn't change the fact that clearly this particular game doesn't qualify as a "system-seller", nor was it ever intended to be, these kind of BS comments from you have no place. I see you spreading similar crap in multiple threads. We get it, move on.

yea, its on PC too.

I have no reason to buy a XBONE for a game that can be found on PC, thus multiplatform, thus not really a system seller.

yea, its on PC too.

I have no reason to buy a XBONE for a game that can be found on PC, thus multiplatform, thus not really a system seller.

Thus, don't buy a Scorpio. ..thus you can have all dat Peecee all day every day..thus..oh, waii, waii, waii, waiitt.....I bet you got A PS4 dou, Am I right?..cuz that Spartan console warrior shine coming from miles away.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
I don’t think it has built enough momentum from the first game to be a system seller. Plus Microsoft kind of diminished the idea of a “system seller” by including it on PC. Long term that helps their future box-less xbox but short term it damages the brand to not have that killer exclusive app/game.

State of Decay had promising ideas but the tension wasnt there. All you had to do to suceed was gather enough cars to block off the zombies from reaching your base and you were safe. If they have improved in the sequel, I can see it getting more game pass subscriptions for Microsoft.

State of Decay 2 will sell a few systems but i realize that it isnt going to start an xbox revolution or anything. The more games on the xbox one the better though.

Wait wait wait! Just another xbox game unavailable on switch or playstation, so im sure everyone will opt to buy a pc and purchase the game from the windows store instead 😂😂😂😂 some people...

iconmaster

Banned
State of Decay had promising ideas but the tension wasnt there. All you had to do to suceed was gather enough cars to block off the zombies from reaching your base and you were safe.

WHAT?!

I never thought to try that.

Anyway, those pointing to GamePass have the right idea. SoD2 adds value to GamePass and that’s MS’ system seller for the foreseeable future. So that’s worth something.

EDMIX

WHAT?!

I never thought to try that.

Anyway, those pointing to GamePass have the right idea. SoD2 adds value to GamePass and that’s MS’ system seller for the foreseeable future. So that’s worth something.

Agreed. Great point. They are about the whole gaas thing now

Horns

I really liked the first one. I expect the second to be good, but until we play it it is extremely hard to say if it's a system seller. There's often a very fine balance required for co-op games like this to be AAA titles that you buy just so you can play with your friends.

Redshirt

Banned
State of Decay had promising ideas but the tension wasnt there. All you had to do to suceed was gather enough cars to block off the zombies from reaching your base and you were safe. If they have improved in the sequel, I can see it getting more game pass subscriptions for Microsoft.

I thought there was a vehicle limit? Plus zeds glitched.

If this is true, glad I never discovered it and hope they overcame it in the sequel.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Based on the first one and the video from part 2, it a low budget game. Janky animations (still), no real narrative. Screen tearing, 360 era graphics. It lacks the fun factor or a Left 4 Dead of Dead Rising or the thrills of a Dying Light. I'm sure there will be an audience, but don't expect it to burn up the sales charts or even review well.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Based on the first one and the video from part 2, it a low budget game. Janky animations (still), no real narrative. Screen tearing, 360 era graphics. It lacks the fun factor or a Left 4 Dead of Dead Rising or the thrills of a Dying Light. I'm sure there will be an audience, but don't expect it to burn up the sales charts or even review well.

Yeah, you must be talking about the E3 2017 video. The game looked like a joke at that time and I totally wrote it off then.

Flash forward to the recent IGN FIRST videos and to me it looks as if it's a different game being made by a totally different developer.

Character animation quality is now a highlight, IMO(love their implementation of motion blur) and there is a level of depth to base building and community management that is really impressive.

Do not sleep on this game. It looks surprisingly good. I'm still scratching my head over the budget price because the game looks as polished and fleshed out as any AAA title you could care to name.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This will be a nice addition to Game Pass. System seller? Not a realistic expectation.

They are indirectly competing.

If you're a father and your kid wants a console, what do you think the kid will take into consideration when picking one up? The one that has a game like GoW with a huge marketing campaing, such big praise, or a console that has State of Decay 2? Most parents buy 1 console for the generation and 1 game for a few months.

As for the popular society, even if gamers, they wouldnt buy a console to play a strategy like game, they would probably get it on Steam on some sale.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the casual or misinformed society on videogames, they buy the majority not the Pro gamers. State of Decay, for as much as I enjoyed the first one, is in no way, shape of form an AAA game, nor its trying to be, it will never be a system seller, its not refined enough, nor its a genre that is trying to be mainstream. To become a system seller theres a few factors to take into consideration, first off being exclusive or not (Metal Gear Solid or Tekken for a few years for example), The marketing behind such game (GoW, Halo and so on), or how technically refined it is (TLOU). Unfortunately State of Decay does not fit in any of these.

Also something working against its own massive success is Microsoft slowly porting every game to the PC, I would bet that the next Halo will probably come to PC, even if a year later.

Last edited:
SoD is one of my top 5 games of last gen (and a great crossover title on Xbone as well as Steam). It's criminally under-appreciated. And the sequel is far and away my most anticipated title this gen. But, there's no chance SoD2 will become a true system seller. It's a niche title thru and thru. Now, if MS put the full weight of their marketing might behind it and released a special SoD2 edition of the X1X, special controllers, commercials, etc then it might break thru a bit with a wider audience. But, really, the fact that this game will likely sell pretty well, move Game Pass subs, etc...is a really good goal without needing "system seller" status. I'd guess Undead Labs/MS is hoping to lay foundation for a long running franchise, so we may see a future iteration that breaks thru to that next level as it builds cred with this release. In any case it'll be a fun game and that's what i care about most in the short term.

yea, its on PC too.

It's almost like people forget that not everyone has a good gaming PC nor do they want to deal with the expense or hassle of building/buying/owning one or dicking around with games to get them to work right. And before u launch into the usual refrain, yeah I know Steam/GOG/etc...greatly simplifies things. I personally have a couple home built kick ass gaming PCs in my household with various games modded to hell and back. But...that changes nothing for MANY (arguably MOST) gamers who just want to turn it on and have it work. I love to game on my PCs (especially my HTPC) but a lot of the time I still prefer console simplicity and the Xbox ecosystem. So, while I dont think SoD2 will likely qualify as a massive "system seller", I also think that it'll do just fine and accomplish the internal goals MS has in mind. The fact that some people have gaming PCs isn't going to matter to the millions who have no interest in PC gaming and would rather game on a console.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Depends on what you qualify as a system seller.

Could it sell 1 console? Yep.
Could it sell 1 million consoles, probably not.

Any game can be a system seller if the barrier is pushed low enough.

The Alien

Banned
It's intriguing for sure. Looks like it'll be fun with friends. I'll be playing it thru Game Pass.

As for it being a system seller? I'd say that I don't see it in the same vein as a God of War, Gears of War or Halo. It's just not at that tier....State is more mid-tier....wgich is totally fine. I think it's an important title for Microsoft, it needs nice exclusive. This fits the bill.

Leocarian

Banned
Thanks to their "Play Anywhere" initiative, all Microsoft published games are no longer truly exclusive.

I am still not quite sure how Microsoft believes that is healthy for the Xbox platform but whatever.

It's healthy for the Xbox Platform because software sales is where developers and publishers make the most money. Success is measured by software sales. Not hardware sales. Sure it's good to have good hardware sales, but that's not everything. Great games will sell consoles, which is what the Xbox is currently lacking. But thanks to Windows, Microsoft will have more options for future games to be experienced on both of their platforms which means they will be winning. They don't care if you buy an Xbox or not, they care if you play their games.

They do not make money on hardware, usually sell those at a loss. So having their exclusives on platforms that they both run, Microsoft owns both Windows and Xbox so therefore it's an exclusive similar to how PS Vita and PS4 have their exclusive games as well.

DavidGzz

I know one thing, as long as it plays as well as the last, co-op alone will make it one of the top games this year for me. It looks a lot more polished and the base building looks great!

There is not a chance State of Decay 2 is a system seller. If a gamer has gone this far into the generation without Halo 5 or Gear of War 4 enticing them to buy an XB1 with all their extensive marketing, a $30 sequel to a 78 Metacritic game surely won't. The game will probably do well with existing owners of the console, but it just doesn't have the visibility to pull in appreciable numbers of new gamers to the platform.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's almost like people forget that not everyone has a good gaming PC nor do they want to deal with the expense or hassle of building/buying/owning one or dicking around with games to get them to work right. And before u launch into the usual refrain, yeah I know Steam/GOG/etc...greatly simplifies things. I personally have a couple home built kick ass gaming PCs in my household with various games modded to hell and back. But...that changes nothing for MANY (arguably MOST) gamers who just want to turn it on and have it work. I love to game on my PCs (especially my HTPC) but a lot of the time I still prefer console simplicity and the Xbox ecosystem. So, while I dont think SoD2 will likely qualify as a massive "system seller", I also think that it'll do just fine and accomplish the internal goals MS has in mind. The fact that some people have gaming PCs isn't going to matter to the millions who have no interest in PC gaming and would rather game on a console.

yea, thats why I said "I have". The point is about those who do ie people like me. I have no reason to buy a XONE if I own a gaming PC that is getting those games. That comment is clearly based on those that already game on both PC and console as I do.

So owning a PS4, PC, 3DS etc, something like a XONE just doesn't make sense, especially seeing how MS is committed to bring all their top games to PC going forward, ie less reason to really own a XONE, which is fine by me tbh. Saves me money and I can still buy MS titles if I feel just.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's healthy for the Xbox Platform because software sales is where developers and publishers make the most money. Success is measured by software sales. Not hardware sales. Sure it's good to have good hardware sales, but that's not everything. Great games will sell consoles, which is what the Xbox is currently lacking. But thanks to Windows, Microsoft will have more options for future games to be experienced on both of their platforms which means they will be winning. They don't care if you buy an Xbox or not, they care if you play their games.

They do not make money on hardware, usually sell those at a loss. So having their exclusives on platforms that they both run, Microsoft owns both Windows and Xbox so therefore it's an exclusive similar to how PS Vita and PS4 have their exclusive games as well.

"It's healthy for the Xbox Platform "

yea not really.

It also means less reason to even buy a XONE i the first place. What MS is doing right now is basically testing the waters to see if they will go 3rd party in the future as they are already basically multiplatform . Vita games may have come to PS4, but a lot of that was based on Vita failing, you don't see stuff like Gravity Rush 2 on Vita. No one is doing anything like what MS is doing right now on PC ie all their main games 100% going to both platforms. This very much brings in to question any reason to even buy a XONE going forward if you already own a gaming PC.

Very much sealed the deal for me. Keep in mind, your point is good for a PUBLISHER, doesn't mean its great for XONE's hardware sales. They can also make more money putting those games on Switch, PS4 etc, that a good idea for XONE too or???

That sounds like a great idea for MS, maybe not a good idea for XONE to give more reasons to not buy it. The more I hear about what MS is doing, the more its sounding like they are very much testing to see if they can hang in with other 3rd party publishers one day, they might pull a SEGA if they feel the hardware is just holding them back cost wise. Like you said "Success is measured by software sales"

MS is already making games on PC, why not all platforms?

"It's healthy for the Xbox Platform "

yea not really.

It also means less reason to even buy a XONE i the first place. What MS is doing right now is basically testing the waters to see if they will go 3rd party in the future as they are already basically multiplatform . Vita games may have come to PS4, but a lot of that was based on Vita failing, you don't see stuff like Gravity Rush 2 on Vita. No one is doing anything like what MS is doing right now on PC ie all their main games 100% going to both platforms. This very much brings in to question any reason to even buy a XONE going forward if you already own a gaming PC.

Very much sealed the deal for me. Keep in mind, your point is good for a PUBLISHER, doesn't mean its great for XONE's hardware sales. They can also make more money putting those games on Switch, PS4 etc, that a good idea for XONE too or???

That sounds like a great idea for MS, maybe not a good idea for XONE to give more reasons to not buy it. The more I hear about what MS is doing, the more its sounding like they are very much testing to see if they can hang in with other 3rd party publishers one day, they might pull a SEGA if they feel the hardware is just holding them back cost wise. Like you said "Success is measured by software sales"

MS is already making games on PC, why not all platforms?

Microsoft does not sell the XB1 hardware to make money. It probably just breaks even or could even be negative if you count the development costs. If they can sell you a copy of a Microsoft exclusive without having to sell you the hardware, they make the same amount. The reason why it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to sell their software on the Switch, PS4 etc is that Microsoft does not own those platforms, and would have to pay a royalty to those platform owners. Meanwhile when Microsoft sells on the Xbox or Windows Store, they get to keep all of the profits. In addition, those games promote those Microsoft platforms getting more gamers to use them. Those extra gamers then buy even more games from the platform where Microsoft gets to keep a royalty on every game sold, even if it is by a third party.

Microsoft isn't going to go only third party because there are A LOT of gamers who want to play on a console and Microsoft wants as much of that market as it can get. In addition it still has pipe dreams of using the Xbox as a gateway for other services in the home. For those gamers who would rather play on a PC, it is no skin off Microsoft's nose to sell you games there. They want to promote the Window Store just as much as the Xbox One, and for the same reasons. If they can get more Windows uses to buy software through their store, they get to keep all those extra royalties too.

P.S. One other thing to think about. The PS4 has roughly twice the install base as the XB1. If Microsoft were to only sell their exclusives on the XB1 console, all things being equal those games would only make half as much as the PS4 games. That would in turn mean that Microsoft would only have half the money to invest in those exclusive games in the first place. Opening up Microsoft games to include Windows users lets Microsoft target a larger market, and makes the Xbox One more competitive with the PS4.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Microsoft does not sell the XB1 hardware to make money. It probably just breaks even or could even be negative if you count the development costs. If they can sell you a copy of a Microsoft exclusive without having to sell you the hardware, they make the same amount. The reason why it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to sell their software on the Switch, PS4 etc is that Microsoft does not own those platforms, and would have to pay a royalty to those platform owners. Meanwhile when Microsoft sells on the Xbox or Windows Store, they get to keep all of the profits. In addition, those games promote those Microsoft platforms getting more gamers to use them. Those extra gamers then buy even more games from the platform where Microsoft gets to keep a royalty on every game sold, even if it is by a third party.

Microsoft isn't going to go only third party because there are A LOT of gamers who want to play on a console and Microsoft wants as much of that market as it can get. In addition it still has pipe dreams of using the Xbox as a gateway for other services in the home. For those gamers who would rather play on a PC, it is no skin off Microsoft's nose to sell you games there. They want to promote the Window Store just as much as the Xbox One, and for the same reasons. If they can get more Windows uses to buy software through their store, they get to keep all those extra royalties too.

P.S. One other thing to think about. The PS4 has roughly twice the install base as the XB1. If Microsoft were to only sell their exclusives on the XB1 console, all things being equal those games would only make half as much as the PS4 games. That would in turn mean that Microsoft would only have half the money to invest in those exclusive games in the first place. Opening up Microsoft games to include Windows users lets Microsoft target a larger market, and makes the Xbox One more competitive with the PS4.

"Microsoft isn't going to go only third party because there are A LOT of gamers who want to play on a console"

Well I remember a lot of folks saying the same thing about them not putting out games on PC....yet here we are. Also lots of gamers of course want to play on console, Switch, PS4 etc, sooooo MS going 3rd party wouldn't mean their games wouldn't be on a console. "That would in turn mean that Microsoft would only have half the money to invest in those exclusive games in the first place. " Ok, you are not factoring in that without the cost of hardware, they actually keep more money then if they kept making hardware. MS is doing this to move more software, thus them making games on other platforms (like PC) only shows its something they are open to.

Lots of people said "never" to them putting out all their top AAA games, so this wouldn't be the first time someone has stated this only to be proven wrong by MS themselves.

This isn't about selling the Windows store as MS themselves stated they plan to release more games on Steam...
This isn't about selling even Windows 10 as MS themselves put out Quantum Break on WIndows 7...

Soooo this is about selling software, that means sooner or later, you'll see it on Steam, you'll see it on Mac, you'll yes...see it on Nintendo and Playstation. We can say "never " or "no" buuuut didn't we hear that with Windows 7? Then Steam? Then what else? Where does it really end? Only MS really knows how far they are going to go in terms of being multiplatform and yes, that includes likely even fully going 3rd party if they see the market can be sustained.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/310...antum-break-is-coming-to-steam-windows-7.html

Remember when MS games would never be on Mac?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZRLIM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Funny....how do we know 100% for sure PS and Nintendo won't be on that list next as "remember whens" Blue Dragon and Diddy Kong Racing already came to Nintendo systems while MS owned the IP, so this wouldn't even be the first time that MS has worked with even Nintendo. Sorry but its very, very much likely.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Soooo this is about selling software, that means sooner or later, you'll see it on Steam, you'll see it on Mac, you'll yes...see it on Nintendo and Playstation.

You wouldn't happen to be related to TheLastWord would you?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom