• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2: the next Xbox system seller?

Tarkus98

The trailer looks awesome! Never played the first game but this one is definitely going to get played.
Good word of mouth should move some consoles, nothing earth shattering but yeah, at least one of my buddies is going to pickup an X for this game.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Theres a quick look but its classic giant bomb with Jeff picking the game apart every chance he gets and the rest of the crew almost being forced to stand up for the game. Makes the videos really hard to watch.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You literally can say that for 80% of the games out there, that doesn't make them system sellers.

System sellers are just that & in MS world that would be Halo, GOW, Forza & so forth. On the Sony side you have your Uncharted, GoW, Horizon & TLOU.

SOD2 just isn't on the same level nor has the marketing push to even attempt it or label it as.

It may HELP *justify* an XB purchase and/or with gamepass, but the masses aren't to going to rush out to buy an Xbox just to play SOD2 as they would for the games mentioned above &
there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. No one expected it to be, it's a sequel to an indie title after all with a small marketing push outside of gamepass. Again, this doesn't
mean the game isn't going to be insanely fun, but it'd be foolish to put it the same league as above mentioned games in terms of potentially pushing consoles off the shelves.

Why are you getting so mad at posters dude?

No one said it's trying to compete with those games. We're just saying it's not on the same level for a magnitude of obvious reasons listed in multiple postings.

It was never meant to be, but I can definitely see people grabbing gamepass because of it.

Dude, neither of these games need to compare to GoW ot TloU. A quality experience can still be had without trying to mimic or compete.

I mean seriously, I could go on and on about how GoW, TLoU or Horizon are great games but don't last beyond a week before their right back on the shelf like the purchaser found it - compared to Halo, Gears and Forza which are amazing games that can be played and talked about for years! Which they are..
But is it really necessary?

Gavon West

Microsoft does not sell the XB1 hardware to make money. It probably just breaks even or could even be negative if you count the development costs. If they can sell you a copy of a Microsoft exclusive without having to sell you the hardware, they make the same amount. The reason why it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to sell their software on the Switch, PS4 etc is that Microsoft does not own those platforms, and would have to pay a royalty to those platform owners. Meanwhile when Microsoft sells on the Xbox or Windows Store, they get to keep all of the profits. In addition, those games promote those Microsoft platforms getting more gamers to use them. Those extra gamers then buy even more games from the platform where Microsoft gets to keep a royalty on every game sold, even if it is by a third party.

Microsoft isn't going to go only third party because there are A LOT of gamers who want to play on a console and Microsoft wants as much of that market as it can get. In addition it still has pipe dreams of using the Xbox as a gateway for other services in the home. For those gamers who would rather play on a PC, it is no skin off Microsoft's nose to sell you games there. They want to promote the Window Store just as much as the Xbox One, and for the same reasons. If they can get more Windows uses to buy software through their store, they get to keep all those extra royalties too.

P.S. One other thing to think about. The PS4 has roughly twice the install base as the XB1. If Microsoft were to only sell their exclusives on the XB1 console, all things being equal those games would only make half as much as the PS4 games. That would in turn mean that Microsoft would only have half the money to invest in those exclusive games in the first place. Opening up Microsoft games to include Windows users lets Microsoft target a larger market, and makes the Xbox One more competitive with the PS4.
Phil also stated that it costs him money to put out hardware. That's not to say that Xbox sales aren't important, but the real money is in software and services. Hardware counts these days are mostly used as console warrior bate. Hardware sales matter but, they aren't the be all end all like they used to be.

Frankly, gamers who still think this way are turning into dinosaurs. The gaming industry has gone through a massive change. Long gone are the days of just buying a console and games. Its much more intricate than that now.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dude, neither of these games need to compare to GoW ot TloU. A quality experience can still be had without trying to mimic or compete.

I mean seriously, I could go on and on about how GoW, TLoU or Horizon are great games but don't last beyond a week before their right back on the shelf like the purchaser found it - compared to Halo, Gears and Forza which are amazing games that can be played and talked about for years! Which they are..

I still hear people talk about TLoU and HZD. I don't hear anyone talking about Gears or Halo. Forza is different as that is a new release every single year.

NickFire

From what I'm reading I think system seller is out, but existing fans will come away happy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-29-hands-on-with-state-of-decay-2

"At its core this is very much the same game, with only a small sprinkling of original additions to distinguish it from those that came before. Don't get me wrong, the classic survival gameplay that made the first game such a cult hit is still present and if you're longing for a return to that, then you'll get it in spades. However, if you're looking for a vastly enhanced experience that pushes the State of Decay series to new heights, you may well come away disappointed."

Gavon West

I still hear people talk about TLoU and HZD. I don't hear anyone talking about Gears or Halo. Forza is different as that is a new release every single year.
Because you don't hear it, doesn't mean people aren't playing it or talking about either game. Halo 5 is still talked about and played regularly by many. Its also still one of the most played online games, even today. And its 3 years old - it'll be four years by time Halo 6 releases. Forza also still has a very healthy community of players. Horizon 3 is almost 3 years old, and its still has a super solid community of gamers.

And let's be frank, Sony doesn't have one single game like them. Neither does Nintendo. Name one other of the big 3 that has anything close to the mentioned franchises that last even half as long...

Legit, I'll wait...

octiny

Banned

You're not understanding the context of compare. Those games are systems sellers because they were published & developed in-house (majority) w/ huge marketing pushes & an insanely large existing fan base, plus it always helps when you can garner "game of the year" type status . This entire thread was based on if SOD2 could be one as well? No. It's not in the same league as to what usually qualifies for a system-seller PRIOR to a release. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the game itself, but rather the term system seller.

And you're right. Quality experiences can still be enjoyed & in no way, shape or form did I say it couldn't. That does not make a game a system seller, as noted above.

Why are you comparing SONY exclusives to MS exclusives? What are you doing lol? What's that have to do with anything? Whether a game is played for 2 days, 1 year, 20 years does not matter, but rather if it pushed enough consoles off the shelf to qualify as one. Some could say that it's even more impressive for a game that's single-player only, played for a week, STILL push consoles off the shelf vs a game with full-on MP.

I consider myself more of an Xbox guy (even though I've owned all different ones) as you can see by my post history, but I always call it like it is & some of your comments just come off as fan boyish..... "compared to Halo, Gears and Forza which are amazing games that can be played and talked about for years!". Come on my dude lol.

Anyways, I just think you're getting mad at people because it's not what you expected to hear or you believe there's some hidden agenda.

It's going to be a awesome, fun game...no one has said otherwise. Bonafide system seller? No, & to be quite frank, you're just setting yourself & the game up for disappointment with those type of expectations.

Last edited:
I think it will do well, especially for the current user base for the XboxOne, current owners like myself are just waiting for pretty much any exclusives but I dont see this game as a system seller. Its just not a 'AAA' franchise.

bitbydeath

Because you don't hear it, doesn't mean people aren't playing it or talking about either game. Halo 5 is still talked about and played regularly by many. Its also still one of the most played online games, even today. And its 3 years old - it'll be four years by time Halo 6 releases. Forza also still has a very healthy community of players. Horizon 3 is almost 3 years old, and its still has a super solid community of gamers.

And let's be frank, Sony doesn't have one single game like them. Neither does Nintendo. Name one other of the big 3 that has anything close to the mentioned franchises that last even half as long...

Legit, I'll wait...

Pokemon is talked about more and is far bigger than all Xbox exclusives combined.

Spider-Man is either bigger than Pokemon or second to it, i’m not sure which.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Well, what we found out today about the co-op (more like Far Cry than what many were hoping for) was a huge bummer.

The mechanics in State of Decay are what set it apart from other zombie shooters. Having to build up your defenses, provide food, scavenge etc. all while fighting hordes of enemies make State of Decay 2 an intriguing game. Asking if it will be a system seller is kind of unfair. Let's just ask if it will be a good game. If it takes off, of course some people might be tempted to get an xbox one.

bitbydeath bitbydeath - there is no way spider man is as big or bigger than Pokemon. Pokemon has a worldwide following and has been around for almost as long as Mario. The series doesn't do much for me (im not the biggest rpg fan), but it's massive in japan and pretty big in the US. This latest spider man entry for the ps4 looks really good, but it's one game and isn't connected to any previous spider man games. Let's see how it does after release first. One game I would argue is as big as pokemon, or at least used to be, is halo. It has the history of success and appeal that many franchises are jealous of.

System seller? It looks like a mobile game in the latest trailer.
lol sure dude.

bitbydeath

bitbydeath bitbydeath - there is no way spider man is as big or bigger than Pokemon. Pokemon has a worldwide following and has been around for almost as long as Mario. The series doesn't do much for me (im not the biggest rpg fan), but it's massive in japan and pretty big in the US. This latest spider man entry for the ps4 looks really good, but it's one game and isn't connected to any previous spider man games. Let's see how it does after release first. One game I would argue is as big as pokemon, or at least used to be, is halo. It has the history of success and appeal that many franchises are jealous of.

Spider-man also has a worldwide following and has been around since 1962.
Pokemon is possibly still bigger but wasn't sure how to measure it. It'd still be second far above all others.

I think it's less that SoD: 2 is in itself a system seller, but rather it furthers the Gamepass of being a system seller.

Having said that, looks cool enough. Hopefully it's comparable size wise to something like Ark or Conan Exiles (which launches full 5/8). I enjoy these games either solo/small co-op party so it looks like a nice addition.

Basically looks like a 3d Project Zomboid.

Spider-man also has a worldwide following and has been around since 1962.
Pokemon is possibly still bigger but wasn't sure how to measure it. It'd still be second far above all others.
No i get that. But in the context of video games, spider-man games have been hit and miss, and this current one isn't part of a previous franchise. It's Insomniac doing their own take on it, which is fantastic. But I don't typically think of super-hero games being ridiculously popular in the vain of something like Zelda, Pokemon, or Halo. I might be attributing my own lack of enthusiasm for marvel and dc games, but I don't think of people getting as excited for them. Though i realize this upcoming spider-man game looks really good. But I see it as a stand-alone entry in the spider-man universe, which isn't comparable to other big franchises, if that makes sense. Marvel Games approached Sony Interactive Entertainment wanting them to publish a Marvel game and to treat the game like a first party SIE title (taken from Wikipedia lol). So this spider-man game would be the beginning of a new franchise rather than a sequel to an already established franchise.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

No i get that. But in the context of video games, spider-man games have been hit and miss, and this current one isn't part of a previous franchise. It's Insomniac doing their own take on it, which is fantastic. But I don't typically think of super-hero games being ridiculously popular in the vain of something like Zelda, Pokemon, or Halo. I might be attributing my own lack of enthusiasm for marvel and dc games, but I don't think of people getting as excited for them. Though i realize this upcoming spider-man game looks really good. But I see it as a stand-alone entry in the spider-man universe, which isn't comparable to other big franchises, if that makes sense. Marvel Games approached Sony Interactive Entertainment wanting them to publish a Marvel game and to treat the game like a first party SIE title (taken from Wikipedia lol). So this spider-man game would be the beginning of a new franchise rather than a sequel to an already established franchise.

I guess it depends on if we were looking at Games themselves or franchise potential. Either way we are probably getting way off topic. ^_^

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
I thought there was a vehicle limit? Plus zeds glitched.

If this is true, glad I never discovered it and hope they overcame it in the sequel.

It depends on the base, but the vehicles were scattered across the map so it would take a decent amount of time. Plus the cars you weren't using for your base could be used against the
Juggernaut. Even if they survived you could use a few shots from a gun and then they were dead.

Aaron Olive

It looks exactly like the first game just prettier, so to answer the question. State of Decay 2: the next Xbox system seller? Not likely!

DavidGzz

System seller? It looks like a mobile game in the latest trailer.

So, it doesn't look as good as GoW. Have you heard of PUBG and Fortnite? If either of those were exclusive, they'd be system sellers and they nothing to look at. Also, Minecraft. You're silly.

Calibos

Game is looking pretty great and I think it's definitely going to be a hit, especially with it's inclusion in Gamepass and it's $30 price tag. Here is some X1X footage finally. These devs are talented in a lot of ways for a smaller team. I hope MS continues to grow their relationship and they get to create something new next. I have heard that State of Decay was originally pitched as an MMO so who knows whats next after this....

State of Decay 2 X1X

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Mmmmh... I guess it could be a great game. System seller?

Nope, I don't think so.

It simply lacks the "polish", the "attitude" of being a system seller.

On the other hand, PUBG is in very BAD shape on XB1 and yet it release boosted a bit the system sales...

But State of Decay 2 is NOT PUBG, in terms of resonancy, and I'm not sure zombies are still so much appealing...

Masatshi

doesn't sound like a system seller to me. it doesn't even sound like a game I want to play honestly... but since it is part of the Xbox Game Pass I will give it a try...

cireza

I still hear people talk about TLoU and HZD. I don't hear anyone talking about Gears or Halo.
Same here. I only go to Sony topics and people all talk about TloU and HZD, but not a single word about Gears or Halo.

State of Decay 2 looks like a fine small budget game, nothing more. Recore was perfectly fine and was in a similar spot. Sadly, as these games take the spolight being console exclusive, they get torn to shreds while their intention never was to be the next big AAA game.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Theres a quick look but its classic giant bomb with Jeff picking the game apart every chance he gets and the rest of the crew almost being forced to stand up for the game. Makes the videos really hard to watch.

Was he really "picking the game apart"? C'mon.

He was cautious about the game (rightfully so as some of the information that has come out is a bit concerning) and was asking genuine questions to someone who played and enjoyed the first game (Brad).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Legit, I'll wait...

Hm, this sounds familiar. Almost can be the same sort of explanation for why you never hear about TLoU or HZD!

I can hop on Bloodborne and still find plenty of players for PvP or PvE Co-Op shenanigans. I can play TLoU on either my PS3 or PS4 and find thousands of players still playing its multiplayer. Splatoon? Still has a large player base that talks about it regularly. There is even a good sized player base for Mario Odyssey's Balloon multiplayer.

It is almost like all three have long-lasting games and franchises and trying to make claims that are blatantly false like you have done is just silly.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So, it doesn't look as good as GoW. Have you heard of PUBG and Fortnite? If either of those were exclusive, they'd be system sellers and they nothing to look at. Also, Minecraft. You're silly.

Yes, they are good selling bad games.

System seller? No. There’s absolutely no chance for that to happen. And that’s not a knock on the game itself. I think it’s been proven by now that even the biggest first party franchises don’t move that many consoles.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Hm, this sounds familiar. Almost can be the same sort of explanation for why you never hear about TLoU or HZD!

I can hop on Bloodborne and still find plenty of players for PvP or PvE Co-Op shenanigans. I can play TLoU on either my PS3 or PS4 and find thousands of players still playing its multiplayer. Splatoon? Still has a large player base that talks about it regularly. There is even a good sized player base for Mario Odyssey's Balloon multiplayer.

It is almost like all three have long-lasting games and franchises and trying to make claims that are blatantly false like you have done is just silly.
No. What sounds silly (and a bit hypocritical) is how the gaming community will call out Halo, Gears and Forza - games that are (seriously) talked about and played for years, but no one calls out others like the ones you mentioned here. Even still, none of your mentioned games have the same notoriety that Halo, Gears and Forza have when it comes to being downplayed by a vast majority of gamers. And their some of the very best in MP.

It's almost like people forget that not everyone has a good gaming PC nor do they want to deal with the expense or hassle of building/buying/owning one or dicking around with games to get them to work right. And before u launch into the usual refrain, yeah I know Steam/GOG/etc...greatly simplifies things. I personally have a couple home built kick ass gaming PCs in my household with various games modded to hell and back. But...that changes nothing for MANY (arguably MOST) gamers who just want to turn it on and have it work. I love to game on my PCs (especially my HTPC) but a lot of the time I still prefer console simplicity and the Xbox ecosystem. So, while I dont think SoD2 will likely qualify as a massive "system seller", I also think that it'll do just fine and accomplish the internal goals MS has in mind. The fact that some people have gaming PCs isn't going to matter to the millions who have no interest in PC gaming and would rather game on a console.

PS4 elite warriors or PC owners don't want to hear that, they simply would not have a reason to driveby shitpost..or an argument for that matter..

Great post btw, kudos to you sir.

Nope. I'll get it on PC.
Tanslation: id never buy an xbox anyway. Let us see the receipts when you actually purchase the game from the windows store.

Quick edit: i know its not fair to judge every poster who says they will just buy it on pc, but if there was some way to get the data on people's purchase history the numbers would show that more than 50% of people who claim pc purchase over xbox wouldnt buy an xbox even if the game was exclusive to the xbox console. It is just too easy to drive by shit post in xbox threads imo. For the players who are truly interested in SoD 2, and are actually going to play it on pc, i apologize.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I don't think State of Decay 2 will be the Xbox system seller.

I even wonder if it can even topped the first State of Decay.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not a system seller. But I bet Game Pass subs will see a significant uptick. Especially if a lot of people used their trial for Sea of Thieves.

After reading previews, it won't be a system seller.
I saw a lot of those previews. The amount of things some of these sites got just blatantly wrong is mind boggling.
Kinda Funny: "You can open doors when you're driving now!"
Gamespot: "Fast searching is new to the series."

I want to call it a niche game, but during the IGN live playthrough they said either they sold 5 million copies or had 5 million unique players play the first one. I forget which.

Anyways, as someone who's put hundreds of hours into the first one, everything about this sequel looks to be an improvement. The graphics are a MASSIVE improvement, the UI got a significant overhaul, the base building looks to have had a significant upgrade with the things you can do, it looks like they put a larger emphasis on the interpersonal relationships within the enclave, and the special zombies (feral, juggernaut, bloater) look to be a lot more dangerous.

The tethering in coop is a disappointment, but from what Undead Labs has said, it was a tradeoff to maintain the density and simulations they have at any point. But it also sounds like that their tethering radius (450 meters) is much larger than Far Cry. One thing I don't get is their decision to have color coded lootable items.

I did see some nasty jank in "The Know" video preview where basically hopping into a vehicle in coop would cause the game to basically shit itself, but they did say it's an older build so I hope that some of that is ironed out before release. The original had a TON of jank and I absolutely love that game, so I'm ok with the general jank that comes with these types of open world games.

Last edited:

quickwhips

To be honest though single player wasn’t great for me but the multiplayer was amazing until it became pat to win on ps4. This looks fun but it is a different beast. I’ll be playing both for different reasons. Tlou2 for multiplayer and state of decay for single player...go figure.

octiny

Banned
Nothing can sell Xbox One, I mean it literally. Nothing. I'm not even trolling.

giphy.gif

Not a system seller. But I bet Game Pass subs will see a significant uptick. Especially if a lot of people used their trial for Sea of Thieves.

I saw a lot of those previews. The amount of things some of these sites got just blatantly wrong is mind boggling.
Kinda Funny: "You can open doors when you're driving now!"
Gamespot: "Fast searching is new to the series."

Eurogamer's preview is pretty negative about this game

Arun1910

Not after those previews.

Also the fact that 4 player co-op means only the host will level up means I'm out. That is the WORST design choice ever. Why can't everything just do what Dying Light did and have everyone level up no matter what instance they are in?

4 player co-op sounded fun when it seemed like you would have a central base and would all level up. But that's not the case, levelling is constricting to your own world. That's crap.

DryvBy

I didn't care for the first one and this one looks pretty much the same just bigger. So I doubt it. But at least they're putting out a new game.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Eurogamer's preview is pretty negative about this game
I just read it. He has some legitimate concerns for what he wants out of the game.

But at the end, he says this:
Don't get me wrong, the classic survival gameplay that made the first game such a cult hit is still present and if you're longing for a return to that, then you'll get it in spades.
That's what I want. And with all the things I mentioned in my post above, I'm perfectly happy with all the additions that they've made. If he was playing the same build that all the other sites did, they were starting out mid to mid-late game with an already established base, their provisions were well stocked, and their characters were plentiful and quite leveled. A lot of the fun I have in the first one is getting to that point in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom