• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2: the next Xbox system seller?

Bl@de

After watching gameplay previews I doubt it will even be a very good game. I think it will land in the 70-79 metacritic scale. No system seller, no GOTY, not even a must have for Xbox owners.

Who in the hell said it was trying to compete with any of those games?!

And frankly, you know fuck all about how well this game will perform until its out in the wild.

Is it just me?! What in the actual f***?!

Brah, people who like this game already own Xbox or PC and it will not push hardware unless it gets crazy good reviews.

I like Sod and know what kind of game Sod is. I know it will not appeal to Mass market audience. It's a very niche game for selected hardcore audience.

Unity2012

I played a whole lot of the first game and all dlc's. Just got the Ultimate edition. I am looking forward to an improved SOD game. They've done a great job to show how much they've done to make it better; plus playing co-op with friends will be a blast.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm buying it. $30 bucks you can't go wrong for a fully multiplayer co-op game. I tried gamepass and there's just not quite enough there that I don't already own. Sea of Thieves is not cutting it for me.

This is crossplay too right? Looking forward to making some PC friends.

After watching gameplay previews I doubt it will even be a very good game. I think it will land in the 70-79 metacritic scale. No system seller, no GOTY, not even a must have for Xbox owners.

Ehh...I agree with this. I want it to be a good game but I just don't see anything special about it. I'm not saying it won't be fun but it certainly doesn't look like a system seller.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I barely played the first game. It was on game pass and I tried it. Going back to XBLA 360 graphics just didn't translate well for me and I could not bring myself to keep playing it. I just wanted to know why it got such a following given the glitches it experienced and other criticisms. Figured there had to be something really special here.

This is the reason why I don't think it will be a system seller. It's not obviously amazing on it's face. It has kind of a cult following. When I think of System Sellers I think of something that has been in the public eye. Microsoft hasn't really pushed this out there as a system seller, I don't think it was meant to be that. Not every exclusive game is meant to be that.

I think Sony has just positioned themselves in a place where every first party exclusive is marketed as a system seller. Microsoft will get there i think, but this game is not for that purpose. It'll be a couple years at least.

sunnz

This game is looking pretty amazing compared to the first.

Hope it catches on and people buy it.

Damn, looks so low quality in all departments to me.
I really feel if this game had properly support it could be a lot bigger and better than it is.
To me this looks like it could have been released in 2014 or something. Not just graphics, everything looks low quality ( animations, general game play style, graphics, environments, physics, models)

The ideas are amazing and I feel the developers are on the right track, just everything else looks so sub par.

comparing this to the quality of SONY or Nintendo exclusives makes me sad.

COME ON MICROSOFT. Believe in your developers!

Will get on game pass, if it's good enough to look through the flaws I will buy to support too.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I still hear people talk about TLoU and HZD. I don't hear anyone talking about Gears or Halo. Forza is different as that is a new release every single year.

Not really that strange when there’s three times as many PS4 owners compared to Xbox One owners. Plus the majority on the internet are often PlayStation owners.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nothing can sell Xbox One, I mean it literally. Nothing. I'm not even trolling.

This is what I sometimes feel as well.

If Xbox One has God of War and other PS4 exclusives I have a feeling they would get mediocre scores and not be system sellers.

But hey, maybe I’m just biased.

If Xbox One has God of War and other PS4 exclusives I have a feeling they would get mediocre scores and not be system sellers.

My biggest issue with xbox right now is the fact they have the money to fund game like these, but arn't for god knows what reason. Look at Ryse. That could be a series, that I personally think would push hardware sales. Sunset Overdrive is another one that comes to mind. Hell, I think if they announced Alan Wake 2 the Xbox community would lose their collective shit.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Gears and Forza series. Was never a big Halo fan. But it's just starting to get tiresome.

At the end of the day, I think xboxs lack of studios is their biggest issue. So Phill, if you ever read this....ya know.....get to buyin or creating studios!

If I'm being realistic, it might sell some consoles, but it wont be the next big hit MS needs. But I'm sure it'll sell well enough among the xbox community to justify State of Decay 3.

thelastword

Banned

What a take......You think Sony exclusives were all given 10/10's this gen? Lots of them did, but some were panned in reviews too, like 1886, even DC was marked down for content and online disconnects due to server load, but right now DC is defintely a 9-10 game with all the DLC. Yet, even the marked down Sony games have amazing production value, great animation etc. The shooting in 1886 is probably the most responsive in a TPS this gen, graphics and sound engineering is off the roof in the title too, 1886's problem was gameplay and pacing, clearly that should have received more focus, because they have everything else covered. So if RAD paid more attention to gameplay instead of the cinematic angle, they would have had a 8.5 - 9 game on their hand too, or perhaps for a sequel. I'd say 1886 got the same fate of heavenly sword, though HS did better in reviews because there was a tad more "engagement" there. That word eh!

As for SOD2, I mean, this game looks like a multiplayer PC game from 2010. Production values is just not there, animation is very sketchy and there have been so many similar Zombie games. I just don't see it lighting XBOX sales up in the space. I don't think you can look at SOD2 and say, "I have to play this game, this generation" and that right there is why it won't be a system seller. Yet, there are so many of these multiplayer styled shooters already, so SOD2 has to do something really special to differentiate itself, question is, is it doing that to you?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Games like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War received good reviews because they were good games, not because they were PS4 exclusives.

sunnz

Personally, Alan Wake 2 would make me more excited than ANYTHING Sony or Nintendo can announce from their exclusive list.

But right now MS are so far behind I don't see them competing unless this E3 they announce AW2 ( or something new).

Alan Wake is one of my favourite games (I bought a 360 just to play it). I'd love another. Such an atmospheric game.

Last edited:
Delrith has been streaming the game on Angry Joe's twitch (review copy) for PC, yesterday and today, I watched about 30 minutes of each.
2 things.
1. PC version's framerate seems to be currently broken in full screen mode. Got to go window mode and just manually stretch it out.
2. It's the Splatoon 2 of zombie sequels.

What a take......You think Sony exclusives were all given 10/10's this gen? Lots of them did, but some were panned in reviews too, like 1886, even DC was marked down for content and online disconnects due to server load, but right now DC is defintely a 9-10 game with all the DLC. Yet, even the marked down Sony games have amazing production value, great animation etc. The shooting in 1886 is probably the most responsive in a TPS this gen, graphics and sound engineering is off the roof in the title too, 1886's problem was gameplay and pacing, clearly that should have received more focus, because they have everything else covered. So if RAD paid more attention to gameplay instead of the cinematic angle, they would have had a 8.5 - 9 game on their hand too, or perhaps for a sequel. I'd say 1886 got the same fate of heavenly sword, though HS did better in reviews because there was a tad more "engagement" there. That word eh!

As for SOD2, I mean, this game looks like a multiplayer PC game from 2010. Production values is just not there, animation is very sketchy and there have been so many similar Zombie games. I just don't see it lighting XBOX sales up in the space. I don't think you can look at SOD2 and say, "I have to play this game, this generation" and that right there is why it won't be a system seller. Yet, there are so many of these multiplayer styled shooters already, so SOD2 has to do something really special to differentiate itself, question is, is it doing that to you?
I don't get why they panned 1886, I thought the game was good. Graphically it was beautiful and the story was on point. Was like playing a freaking movie.

damstr

Neo Member
The title of this makes me think that it would have to have the same impact on me as when I first played Halo on the original Xbox.

demigod

I keep seeing ads on youtube of this game. This game will probably play better and sell better than sea of thieves.

-MD-

I keep seeing ads on youtube of this game. This game will probably play better and sell better than sea of thieves.

That's a pretty low bar but yeah I agree, as janky as this still looks it'll still probably be better than SoT.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Don't really need reviews when the game has been playing on Twitch for days.

Game looks like State of Decay Year One 1.5. I loved the first game, so I'm pretty sure I'll have fun with this one--Tuesday, not buying the U.E.

But it's really a shame that this game didn't (seemingly) evolve more than it did.

thelastword

Banned
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-open-world-loot-em-up-with-catastrophic-bugs

This review was brutal. Perhaps OP, people should stop putting any game that's exclusive to MS on a pedestal or hype it up. I know MS desperately needs a hit, but pushing AA and indie games for more than what they are is not going to help. The first SOD was an indie game, so was Super Lucky, Recore etc...They have their place in a library, but certainly not as your main hitters. If these are your main hitters or a reason to get hyped for XBOX, then something is definitely wrong.....

Lots of choice quotes in that review, but this one;

"Survivors aren't appealing to the eye - they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men"

I'm sure lots of MS fans will have "fun" with this game, like they did PUBG, Super Lucky Tales, SOT, Recore etc.... At this point, I'm not sure if MS secretly put a "fun chip" in all of their consoles i'm not aware of.... I mean, some of the games may not review well, be riddled with bugs, have latency and networking issues, have framerate problems, not have impressive graphics or animation, but they sure are fun.....It may not be this forum, but just last week I remember a poster saying that he plays PUBG on a top line PC and an XBOX and he has more fun on the XBOX, so I guess that's saying something eh!........He has less fun where he can get 60fps etc.....Hmmm!

So since Eurogamer has said to avoid this game, I think that translates to a 3 on metacritic.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Dont forget, Eurogamer isn't the end all to opinions on videogames. The game could very well be fun, but not without it's flaws. Much like the first game was.

thelastword

Banned
Dont forget, Eurogamer isn't the end all to opinions on videogames. The game could very well be fun, but not without it's flaws. Much like the first game was.
For sure, I don't follow reviews all that much these days, but this review was pointed out because of the way it was written. Still other reviewers are not exactly glowing. Yet I agree that reviews should not deter anyone from playing a game they may like, but criticallly acclaimed games are usually games which excel in many areas; gameplay, story, graphics, sound, level design, polish etc....It's just that SOD2 is below par in many of these areas...

Last edited:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-open-world-loot-em-up-with-catastrophic-bugs

This review was brutal. Perhaps OP, people should stop putting any game that's exclusive to MS on a pedestal or hype it up. I know MS desperately needs a hit, but pushing AA and indie games for more than what they are is not going to help. The first SOD was an indie game, so was Super Lucky, Recore etc...They have their place in a library, but certainly not as your main hitters. If these are your main hitters or a reason to get hyped for XBOX, then something is definitely wrong.....

Lots of choice quotes in that review, but this one;

"Survivors aren't appealing to the eye - they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men"

I'm sure lots of MS fans will have "fun" with this game, like they did PUBG, Super Lucky Tales, SOT, Recore etc.... At this point, I'm not sure if MS secretly put a "fun chip" in all of their consoles i'm not aware of.... I mean, some of the games may not review well, be riddled with bugs, have latency and networking issues, have framerate problems, not have impressive graphics or animation, but they sure are fun.....It may not be this forum, but just last week I remember a poster saying that he plays PUBG on a top line PC and an XBOX and he has more fun on the XBOX, so I guess that's saying something eh!........He has less fun where he can get 60fps etc.....Hmmm!

So since Eurogamer has said to avoid this game, I think that translates to a 3 on metacritic.
It's great to see people that enjoy and excel at their job.

It looks interesting. If it gets good reviews, I might buy it. I still like the idea of surviving in a zombie wasteland. I'd want it to be challenging though.

thelastword

Banned
I don't get why they panned 1886, I thought the game was good. Graphically it was beautiful and the story was on point. Was like playing a freaking movie.
Yeah, funny enough, after i platinumned GOW. I went back to 1886 for a playthrough. I think Until Dawn is next, just to check out some of the best looking games on the system. This game is still arguably the best looking game on the system. The PBR in this game is the best to date, the materials are so authentic. Yet, there are no bugs, great production values, very nice story with good animation and some very nice physics during shootouts too. One thing that compliments 1886 so well is the shooting, very low input lag for a TPS, perhaps the lowest, landing headshots is a dream, perhaps UC does aural feedback/animation when enemies get headshotted better, but 1886 is a really solid TPS and the story unfolds nicely, with a varied cast of characters.

Alebrije

No system seller , in fact I was shocked when they announced SOD2 , Liked the original but being honest is a niche game. Will get it after a price discount because I liked original but most of my fiends do not care about it.

Top Bottom