• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 trailer (XB1/PC, Spring 2018)

Leyasu

Banned
Microsoft need to invest some cash into this franchise and studio.

How many people work at undead labs?

Yeah, it was very raw, the animations (the run one) looked very bad, they still have tons of work to do, it also needs some work with facial animations, I thought this game would be sort of like red dead but with zombies (I really hope you can ride horses but with the way the current animation is that would probably be a massive task) also i thought this one was suppose to be a MMO

Does partnering with MS means they are going to hire 300 more developers and turn into an AAA game?

No?

They of course it's still an indie game that looks 'indie'.

Their studio jobs page has a pic with 50+ employees. If you wanna consider a studio of that size that also has the backing of one of the richest companies in the globe indie, go right ahead.

And no, not being AAA doesn't instantly make you indie. What an asinine thing to say.

E9q4h5G.jpg

This (and the running animation) is where I believe they got hurt the most. We could hear the caracter talking but no facial animation at all... So obvious that it feels almost like it was intended...

Theorry

This (and the running animation) is where I believe they got hurt the most. We could hear the caracter talking but no facial animation at all... So obvious that it feels almost like it was intended...

Think thats the problem of no real characters in this game. They are random generated. Think they have now 1000 options.

Any game would benefit from smoother graphics and performance, but State of Decay is ultimately substance over style. The series earns its good reputation with its deep mechanics and overall fun factor.

This is one of the few Xbox One exclusives that I'm interested in.

I havent played the first yet, as I barely use my xbox and assumed this would get a Nov release. Also the first looked a bit dodgy.

However, if the new version is delayed, and graphically not much improved as posters above suggest, is it still worth playing the first?
Of course. It's only one of the best zombie games in existence. And the best open-world zombie game there is.

RdN

There's coop, which makes immediately much, much better.

The game is fine, I don't think many here have actually played the first one.

I did play the first one, and enjoyed it, even with all it's issues.

I was just expecting a bigger improvement for the sequel.

Do we know if this world will be as sparse as the first? I thought I read in a dev blog that there was more to the world. If the team hasn't blown up but they have to produce assets for a world three times larger, that could explain some things.

Not much is known so far ask I know. What we do know is that's it's the same location as the first game but will be much bigger and have new areas/locations to explore.

I think we should prepare for huge swathes of nothing in between the interesting locations.

To be fair it's still pretty much a year away from us. I guess a lot can improve?

I'm sure it will, might have been better if they didn't show it or put together a cinematic trailer with the new release date.

Falchion

Looks really cool coming from someone who didn't play the first. I would definitely get this to play with friends.

Apparently there are more than 1000 character traits that your survivors have. It will be interesting to see how they bear out.

Microsoft's response to Days Gone and Last of Us Part II?

The game itself? Nah. The tone of that trailer however, as well as some of the shots and dialogue beats-- hell even the way the narration was voiced-- seemed ripped from the Days Gone trailer. Which I thought was disappointing since SoD is a great game and a known quantity, unlike Days Gone, so apeing the feel of the DG trailer for a SoD2 reveal seemed super unnecessary.

EmiPrime

I hated SOD YOSE. I will wait for the Digital Foundry analysis first; a perma-death zombie game where the frame rate constantly yoyos, sometimes freezing for a second when driving and the zombies can magically clip their way through doors isn't fun. YOSE had unacceptable levels of jank and was never fixed so I won't give UL the benefit of the doubt for the sequel.

Graphics looked fine on the 4K HDR Mixer stream, animations aside.

Theorry

I hated SOD YOSE. I will wait for the Digital Foundry analysis first; a perma-death zombie game where the frame rate constantly yoyos, sometimes freezing for a second when driving and the zombies can magically clip their way through doors isn't fun. YOSE had unacceptable levels of jank and was never fixed so I won't give UL the benefit of the doubt for the sequel.

Graphics looked fine on the 4K HDR Mixer stream, animations aside.

Its has a totally different engine. Unreal 4. And way more budget. The first one was a indie game really.

EmiPrime

Its has a totally different engine. Unreal 4. And way more budget. The first one was a indie game really.

That's good (UE4) but while I could understand the jank in the 360 release, YOSE should have tidied that up and been a locked 30fps given it was a last gen port. UL put out a bad, buggy port and then didn't fix it.

Caveat emptor for the sequel.

charsace

The game itself? Nah. The tone of that trailer however, as well as some of the shots and dialogue beats-- hell even the way the narration was voiced-- seemed ripped from the Days Gone trailer. Which I thought was disappointing since SoD is a great game and a known quantity, unlike Days Gone, so apeing the feel of the DG trailer for a SoD2 reveal seemed super unnecessary.
The trailer was done in the style they have always done trailers.

I'm excited for this if it does include a good coop. More games need coop and I think we should support that as long as everything falls inline.

I think it's funny that my first thought was "yup, those are State of Decay zombies". They still got that gait

Visually, it looks vastly improved from the first

Not much is known so far ask I know. What we do know is that's it's the same location as the first game but will be much bigger and have new areas/locations to explore.

I think we should prepare for huge swathes of nothing in between the interesting locations.

I'm sure it will, might have been better if they didn't show it or put together a cinematic trailer with the new release date.

Yeah, but i gotta be honest...i would have bitched even more then, haha. I appreciate that we mostly got gameplay in the trailers yesterday.

Think the game looks fine really. UE4 is a nice engine and its open world. Really improved over the first one.

DefiantEducatedDalmatian.gif

ShyTartHarpseal.gif

WealthyAlarmedArgentinehornedfrog.gif

Hmmm....it does look good in these gifs. It's certainly a huge huuuuuge step up from the first one. New engine is crystal clear here. Thing is..i was in a party chat with ten people yesterday and as soon as this was shown...someone said ''oh man, this gets gobbled up by Days Gone.'' but i think some would be expecting a bit too much. Isn't Undead Labs still a relatively small team compared to Days Gone dev?

Yeah, but i gotta be honest...i would have bitched even more then, haha. I appreciate that we mostly got gameplay in the trailers yesterday.

Hmmm....it does look good in these gifs. It's certainly a huge huuuuuge step up from the first one. New engine is crystal clear here. Thing is..i was in a party chat with ten people yesterday and as soon as this was shown...someone said ''oh man, this gets gobbled up by Days Gone.'' but i think some would be expecting a bit too much. Isn't Undead Labs still a relatively small team compared to Days Gone dev?

Totally different games in my opinion. I am way more excited about this one. Now I just need to make some Xbox friends to play with!

The game looked fine yesterday, and I'm sure they'll polish it up before release. Hopefully it runs better than the first game. It's a very similar story to Battlegrounds honestly. The gameplay and overall structure and systems in the game are what made it such a hit even though it's got plenty of jank.

bede-x

The first SoD was a bit janky so I don't know why anyone would have expected it to all be gone this time around. And for me the jank was part of the charm.

I wouldn't call it part of the charm, but more a neccessary evil. The thing is that as soon as you turn something like this into an AAA game, it'll lose everything that makes it interesting. What makes it interesting are all the systems running in the background, slightly out of control and something that could potentially punish/reward you unfairly. No one would dare do a game like the first State of Decay with an AAA level budget. It would morph into something else.

cant wait. Loved the first one, never beat it though because it got a bit samey after 20 hours for me. Ill give this one a shot too

Vengal

Not sure what you mean but co-op has been confirmed. You can drop into other people's games and bring back all the stats and loot you gain there.

I know just didn't articulate the point well enough I hate posting on my phone. I meant I dumped ALOT of time into state of decay one and felt the the thing it was missing was multiplayer. I followed on their blog while they were trying to add it to the first game and was really bummed out after a year when they said it wasn't possible.

I'm excited that it's there for the sequel but I understand why some players would be cautious regarding what multiplayer could do to the single player simulation aspect of the game. So the second part I was trying to say that I imagine there still will be a similar single player experience from the first game.

Drop in multiplayer is also great, the alternative of someone playing one of your community members probably would have been far less ideal.

I wouldn't call it part of the charm, but more a neccessary evil. The thing is that as soon as you turn something like this into an AAA game, it'll lose everything that makes it interesting. What makes it interesting are all the systems running in the background, slightly out of control and something that could potentially punish/reward you unfairly. No one would dare do a game like the first State of Decay with an AAA level budget. It would morph into something else.
Thanks, that's a good point. The game had a lot of rough edges and in the end was better for it.

That said running out of resources while not playing the game was always a terrible idea!

I love the first one, but WTH at these animations? They are completely ripped off from the first.

Thought this was getting more budget but it looks like a destiny 2 kinda of sequel.

Hopefully it runs better this time.

First game was one of my favourite XBLA releases, frame rate issues hindered it though and the Xbox One version isn't that much better in that regard.

Will keep an eye on this but those animations are disappointing for a sequel on new hardware,jerky, rigid.

First game was one of my favourite XBLA releases, frame rate issues hindered it though and the Xbox One version isn't that much better in that regard.

Will keep an eye on this but those animations are disappointing for a sequel on new hardware,jerky, rigid.

That was my original feeling too. In the both Interview I saw with Jeff Strain so far, both time he said something like: "Yep, we're getting there..." in regards of how the game looks so this makes me think that maybe that trailer is a bit old and that they are and will keep polishing it in the coming months?

The game is being delayed for a reason and I believe the final product will be better than what we saw in this trailer.

I hope that by the end of E3 that we'll have more info on how the community building mecanics work...

State of Decay being a 10$ game is very tempting...

The first one was a big enough step that I won't particularly mind if this is a comparatively smaller one. Iterative, bigger, better, more polished State of Decay sounds fine to me.

Just, all of the games seem to live in 2018 apparently.

Top Bottom