• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 is still in pre-production

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It seems there is some sexism allegations and other issues going on at Undead Labs like State of Decay 3 still being in pre-production. This is the news the founder of the studio was trying to get ahead of

What games will even be ready soon for Xbox besides Starfield

Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Sorry greenies but I couldn't resist posting Khaled

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You’ll have a hard time convincing anyone that State of Decay 3 was the big AAA game you’ve been waiting for 😀
It really just makes me curious about their release schedule after this being like the 4th or 5th game we're hearing about

Papacheeks

Banned
Tell us what other xbox studios are having problems? Reveal your secrets!
What were you saying? do you have alink I am curious, or is it all in the article?

Matt Booty's team has been pretty hands off. And unfortunately all the issues we are seeing come from E3 2018. Everwild from RARE is still not a game, Initiative has literally been gutted and CD is taking over PD and now that game is easily 2-3 years away.

Basically newly founded studios, and ones who were questionable in their ability's to take on larger projects all having nothing but issues.

And it all stems from Internally Microsoft not having a great team that has it's owns studio structure/identity.

Which they have never had because of the ever evolving door of Enterprise/Software people who end up running the division. Now everything is starting to come to a head. Why do you think they were looking recently at Activision after the news broke of the scandal? It was all within same time period Microsoft was viewing progress across all their studios, specifically Initiative and Undead labs. It's time stamped in the article when Microsoft was going into panic mode. Buying Activision was them needing content quick knowing none of the projects in the pipeline would be ready in a 12-24 month time frame. They know that for what they want from Gamepass growth wise you need content.

So buying Activision/Blizzard fits that need.

Goalus

Jeff Strain says on medium.com:
I got to work on SoD3 when it was easy — what I call the “You know what would be cool?” phase of development. The hard work of turning “You know what would be cool?” into an actual game happened after I left.
So obviously the game is in production, not pre-production.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Matt Booty's team has been pretty hands off. And unfortunately all the issues we are seeing come from E3 2018. Everwild from RARE is still not a game, Initiative has literally been gutted and CD is taking over PD and now that game is easily 2-3 years away.

Basically newly founded studios, and ones who were questionable in their ability's to take on larger projects all having nothing but issues.

And it all stems from Internally Microsoft not having a great team that has it's owns studio structure/identity.

Which they have never had because of the ever evolving door of Enterprise/Software people who end up running the division. Now everything is starting to come to a head. Why do you think they were looking recently at Activision after the news broke of the scandal? It was all within same time period Microsoft was viewing progress across all their studios, specifically Initiative and Undead labs. It's time stamped in the article when Microsoft was going into panic mode. Buying Activision was them needing content quick knowing none of the projects in the pipeline would be ready in a 12-24 month time frame. They know that for what they want from Gamepass growth wise you need content.

That's interesting, the hands off approach remind me a bit of what happened with Quantic dreams which made Until dawn under Sony's supervision which was great but when they were independant made trash.It's weird because Matt booty (great name) seems really competent, although I would have liked Seamus Blackely to take over his role.

Papacheeks

Banned
Jeff Strain says on medium.com:

So obviously the game is in production, not pre-production.

That goes against how Phil framed some things in a recent interview. He was talking about how he was excited for some of the new things they are trying to implement. That smells like you still are building core systems of the game.

Ozriel

M$FT
It really just makes me curious about their release schedule after this being like the 4th or 5th game we're hearing about

State of Decay, Perfect Dark and Everwild are pretty much the only ones that are probably a way out.

They’ve got a lot of studios….

That goes against how Phil framed some things in a recent interview. He was talking about how he was excited for some of the new things they are trying to implement. That smells like you still are building core systems of the game.

I’m not sure how you think ‘implementing new things’ is incompatible with a game in active development

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Microsoft is going to need to buy up the entire industry if this trackrecord keeps up lol.

Even their main AAA-franchise release: Halo Infinite had to be delayed multiple times and they still weren't able to put out a working and feature-complete product on day 1. My Series X is just collecting dust.

Last edited:
Ms has to make sure their fans have a bigger list of games they can post about on forums then the other fans.

To be honest, without the Activision and Bethesda acquisitions, things would be looking pretty dire for Microsoft 1st party right now. Microsoft are very slow when it comes to releases. I'm still wondering why it took over 5 years to make crackdown 3 and sea of thieves, which was absolutely bare bones at launch. We all know what happened more recently with halo infinite. They're even delaying coop modes ffs!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't know how you read what you read from his quote, but this is his actual quote:

"...this one's probably not that big of a surprise for people who have watched me play, but I was a big State of Decay 2 player...looking at State of Decay 3, I'm incredibly excited about some of the advancements they're going to make," said Spencer. "They've had this pattern - they've talked about it publically from State of Decay 1, to 2, to 3 and what they want to do, and we haven't shown a lot [of SoD3]... it's a game I really enjoy playing, I'm a big co-op player, I like building, I like resourcing...and I'm really excited about where that team's going."

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't know how you read what you read from his quote, but this is his actual quote:

Reading Comprehension is not your strong suit I see?

"...this one's probably not that big of a surprise for people who have watched me play, but I was a big State of Decay 2 player...looking at State of Decay 3, I'm incredibly excited about some of the advancements they're going to make," said Spencer. "They've had this pattern - they've talked about it publicly from State of Decay 1, to 2, to 3 and what they want to do, and we haven't shown a lot [of SoD3]... it's a game I really enjoy playing, I'm a big co-op player, I like building, I like resourcing...and I'm really excited about where that team's going."

For their part, Microsoft says “a number of positive changes” have recently occurred at Undead Labs, with the company touting an “entirely new leadership team” with a more diverse makeup than in the past. The unspoken in this is that the new leadership team was likely required due to a reported rash of high-level departures at the studio. That said, some Kotaku spoke to feel more positive about the direction of State of Decay 3 and Undead Labs in 2022. Here’s hoping the game will rise again.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Microsoft is going to need to buy up the entire industry if this trackrecord keeps up lol.

Even their main AAA-franchise release: Halo Infinite had to be delayed multiple times and they still weren't able to put out a working and feature-complete product on day 1. My Series X is just collecting dust.
Have to agree, I haven't touched my Series X since December when I played Halo, I may be in the minority but even then the game was a bit of a husk of a game. Very short which I don't mind but not exactly the epic return to form we were promised.

The only game MS have released that is decent in recent times is Horizon 5.

If they are struggling they will absolutely just buy up more publishers like Activision and then run those into the ground.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reading Comprehension is not your strong suit I see?

The second quote isn't even from the same article.

And nothing in the first quote that you highlighted in red implies development hell or stuck in pre-production.

The fact that he specifically name dropped SoD3 out of nowhere in that interview led a lot of people to believe that it's actually farther in development and we may see the game at whatever MS's E3 equivalent showcase may end up being.

Literally the only thing in this story is some people feeling bad sometimes.

Why are we posting this stuff?

Concern ™

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

State of Decay, Perfect Dark and Everwild are pretty much the only ones that are probably a way out.

They’ve got a lot of studios….

I’m not sure how you think ‘implementing new things’ is incompatible with a game in active development
Fable sounds a little ways off too, didn't we also hear something about Avowed?

Swift_Star

Banned

Is this the company that will promote shift and dominate gaming in the future? Oh, please.

Roxkis_ii

To be honest, without the Activision and Bethesda acquisitions, things would be looking pretty dire for Microsoft 1st party right now. Microsoft are very slow when it comes to releases. I'm still wondering why it took over 5 years to make crackdown 3 and sea of thieves, which was absolutely bare bones at launch. We all know what happened more recently with halo infinite. They're even delaying coop modes ffs!
Everything you said is true. That why it's really weird to me that this is the reality, but MS wins publisher of the year.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Have to agree, I haven't touched my Series X since December when I played Halo, I may be in the minority but even then the game was a bit of a husk of a game. Very short which I don't mind but not exactly the epic return to form we were promised.

If they are struggling they will absolutely just buy up more publishers like Activision and then run those into the ground.
I'm struggling to think of any studio that MSFT has "run into the ground" if anything, it seems like they give their devs TOO much of a lead and let them spend way too much time bullshitting.

The fact they gave Halo Infinite a whole year delay kinda shows that. Infinite had...6..years of development roughly and they put out a decent, but very bare bones product. That has more to do with 343 mismanagement than MSFT.

Them picking up Bethesda just put 3 or 4 MAJOR studios in their pocket, once the Activision deal is through, even more great studios. I'd say any Xbox concern isn't really warranted honestly.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fable sounds a little ways off too, didn't we also hear something about Avowed?

Nothing about that interview made it sound like Fable was a way off. It basically translated to “they’re taking their time to make their first AAA RPG really good”. The game will be 6 years in development by end 2023.

Avowed seems well on track for a 2023 release. As projected.

There’s still a LOT of studios lined up.

This article has been posted all over the internet. OP is the only one who got the understanding it’s still in "pre-production".

So nothing to see here.
I read the original article. People who left the company by the end of last year imply that it was in pre-production back then.

Papacheeks

Banned
The second quote isn't even from the same article.

And nothing in the first quote that you highlighted in red implies development hell or stuck in pre-production.

The fact that he specifically name dropped SoD3 out of nowhere in that interview led a lot of people to believe that it's actually farther in development and we may see the game at whatever MS's E3 equivalent showcase may end up being.

Concern ™

The highlighted in red literally implies where that game is in terms of mechanics and systems. If you knew how games were made you would have caught that, but you would rather damage control.

Ozriel

M$FT

😂😂😂

According to HowLongToBeat, Halo Infinite’s campaign is the longest in the series. You sure must have been enjoying it for time to fly so fast.

Also not sure how you can claim FH5 was their ‘only decent game’ when they unquestionable were best publisher of 2021 with multiple GOTY winners.

This will probably be a tough gen for some of you 😂

Top Bottom