• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play returns this Wednesday, March 9.

Fbh

Valkyrie Elysium obviously doesn't look amazing in terms of graphics ( her hair was glitching out a lot too ).
But I think it looks alright in terms of gameplay as just a fun game on the side.

And that's about it really.

Square just seems so creatively bankrupt.

They just released a medieval fantasy tactics game and now here comes another one set in a nearly identical world.

They are about the release a third person action game set in a generic fantasy world (strangers in paradise) and here's comes another one.

They are really starting to feel like the Japanese Ubisoft. A bunch of uninspired stuff that feels like it's coming from a factory.

Look at their PS1 era with stuff like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, FF7 and IX, etc. While they could all be defined as turn based RPG's, at least their worlds and setting all felt very unique and distinctive from eschother

yurinka

• Exoprimal: May be fun if you turn it into a Dino Crisis/Lost Planet/MH/etc crossover game but looked meh
  • Ghostwire Tokyo: Looks cool, more interesting than before
  • Final Fantasy Chaos of Paradise: we have a new demo, let's see
  • Forspoken: Looks cool, more interesting than before
  • Gundam: ok for the Gundam fans
  • TMNT Cowabunga Collection: the best Konami stuff since MGSV and PT releases
  • GigaBash: giga trash
  • Jojo All Sttar Battle R: awesome for Jojo fans
  • Trek to Yomi: looking good
  • Returnal free update: awesome
  • DioField Chronicle: good for the Japanese SRPG fans
  • Valkyrie Elysium: meh
Total: Not great, not awful. A bit meh but ok. Many fans of several Japanese niches will be happy and will eat good.

Last edited:

gamer82

Nice tmnt collection hope we can play them in 4k resolution i have gameboy ones and csnt wsit to replay the nes game again i wish they would remake it like they did with ducktales

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Square just seems so creatively bankrupt.

They just released a medieval fantasy tactics game and now here comes another one set in a nearly identical world.

They are about the release a third person action game set in a generic fantasy world (strangers in paradise) and here's comes another one.

They are really starting to feel like the Japanese Ubisoft. A bunch of uninspired stuff that feels like it's coming from a factory.

Look at their PS1 era with stuff like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, FF7 and IX, etc. While they could all be defined as turn based RPG's, at least their worlds and setting all felt very unique and distinctive from eschother
Nah, ubisoft at least puts some effort into their games. Despite all the downgrades, division, ass creed, watch dogs, far cry, all have incredible visuals and production values.

Those devs take pride on what they do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nah, ubisoft at least puts some effort into their games. Despite all the downgrades, division, ass creed, watch dogs, far cry, all have incredible visuals and production values.

Those devs take pride on what they do.
Japanese companies as a whole some reason dont put in tons of budget and production values into their games like western devs. Ya, youll get a Metal Gear game here and there and Gran Turismo games by Digital Polyphony and traditional FF games have a high budget, but most seem to churn out B-tier budget kinds of games. Wstern devs are more likely to gun for an A-budget game.

ByWatterson

Japanese companies as a whole some reason dont put in tons of budget and production values into their games like western devs. Ya, youll get a Metal Gear game here and there and Gran Turismo games by Digital Polyphony and traditional FF games have a high budget, but most seem to churn out B-tier budget kinds of games. Wstern devs are more likely to gun for an A-budget game.

Sorta?

But plenty of Western devs are turning out A-looking games on B-tier budgets. Ember Lab, Ninja Theory, Housemarque, and more come to mind.

This is a decision, not a money question.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Turtles and Returnal only interested me. I was thinking a Dino Crisis reveal but more disappointed the more I watched.

Returnal free update though
Hulk Hogan Sport GIF by WWE

Edit: Also 2d not GoT

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone else feel Capcom is fucking trolling us.
I mean come on, Dinosaurs and they even included a red head with a similar hair style!

wipeout364

I liked Diofield chronicle, Valkyrie Elysium, ghostwire Tokyo.
On the fence: exoprimal, stranger of paradise, trek to yomi
Not interested : Forspoken, jojo, gundam, tmnt,

NanaMiku

Square Enix made so many announcement this year.
They announced many title in last month's Nintendo Direct and today's State of Play

supernova8

Banned
What a load of garbage that was. The only game that looked mildly fun was Exoprimal but even that's a push.

Plus........... zero PS5 exclusives... still... fucking fuckety fuck fuck fuck. Glad I didn't buy a PS5 yet!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Already pre-ordered Ghostwire and looking forward playing it, as for new games Diofield chronicle and Valkyrie Elysium definitely has my interest.

Honestly this year 90% of games I’m playing are Japanese games.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Ghostwire Tokyo and Forspoken are PS5 exclusives.
Oh sorry I meant good PS5 exclusives

Excited Roller Coaster GIF

OK fine Forspoken could be OK but that fucking "music" what an abomination.

Ghostwire Tokyo? Nah it just looks shit. Plus it doesn't look like it even needs to be a PS5 exclusive.

Where did I say the conference needed Sony first party games?

Japan has some of the best devs in the business and aside from Forspoken, they didnt have a single AAA Japanese game featured at the show.

If Sony couldnt get Final Fantasy 16, FF7-2, RE4make, Death Stranding 2 or RE9 then they should simply say, hey sorry we got nothing. Dont waste out time with this shit.
Best devs in the business huh? Compared to who?

clem84

Gold Member
Gigabash just looked dull. 0 interest in this one.
Jojo all star battle. I'm sure some people like the way this looks, but to me it had terrible art direction and character design.
Valkyrie Elysium. Just looked average in every way.

The rest all looked great, or very promising. Trek to Yomi honestly blew me away. They really nailed that old Samurai/martial arts movie look.

Overall solid State of play.

Robb

Gold Member
Couldn’t watch this live due to the time-slot, but that seem to have been a blessing in disguise in retrospect. Just skimmed through it now. Pretty awful showing imo.

Esca

I want sure what to expect from this sop but I'm very happy with almost everything they showed, a few I know I'll buy almost certainly

bender

What time is it?
  • Ghostwire Tokyo - While this looks interesting, I haven't liked anything from Tango Gameworks and if I wait a year, I can play it via Gamepass.
  • Final Fantasy Chaos of Paradise - Combat seems way to frantic for my liking. I also hate the modern FF aesthetic. I guess I like my Souls-like games to have more medieval setting.
  • TMNT Cowabunga Collection - Fucking awesome.
  • Returnal free update - Beyond Nex Machina, Housemarque isn't my jam and Returnal is no different. They've done a good job of supporting the game with content post release and everything is better in co-op, so I'll give this a whirle.
  • DioField Chronicle - Looks neat and reminds me of the Square offerings on Switch.
Overall Grade: D(isappointing)

hemo memo

Gold Member
I feel like every generation, SE create a tech-demo and last minute they tell the devs to turn it into a game. This is what Forspoken look to me.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ghostwire Tokyo and Forspoken are PS5 exclusives.
Ghostwire is a timed exclusive, AFAIK.

Also it's incredible how generic Japanese game development has become. Same setting, same tropes, same systems over and over again.

Last edited:

kikii

i see these comments, suddenly graphics matter...same ppl who says elden rings ps3 graphics and 8bit nintendo performance doesnt matter..u peeps are weird :p

Roufianos

Have any of these ever been good? I don't see why there was any hype for this.

Unless it's Sony's big annual showcase or a State of Play for a specific game you're hyped for, don't tune in.

What a load of garbage that was. The only game that looked mildly fun was Exoprimal but even that's a push.

Plus........... zero PS5 exclusives... still... fucking fuckety fuck fuck fuck. Glad I didn't buy a PS5 yet!
No your not. How could any ps4 pro owner be glad they have the inferior system? Not to mention the few exclusives to ps5 like returnal and demons souls. Being able to have faster loading and better graphics is someone not preferable?

GrayFoxPL

Saw the trailer just now. Sony finally gets on the shooting, slashing and fighting action!

(in order)

Ghostwire: Tokyo

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin

Gundam Evolution

Valkyrie Elysium

Evil Dead: The Game

Forspoken

Exoprimal

Trek to Yomi

That's what I'm talking about! More! MORE ACTION!

Happy Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

Lokaum D+

FF14 did make Square lot of money, i see 4 games and 3 flops, the only one that save from those games is the tsctician one.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, how many of these are PS4/ PS5 exclusives? Because just a few months ago Sony fans were pissed off about all of the Bethesda and Activision games eventually going exclusive (and assuming/demanding COD and other MP and GAAS games should stay multiplatform). So where is the justification here with SE?

Top Bottom