• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play returns this Wednesday, March 9.

Rikku-X

And you wonder why Sony put less and less investment into the Japanese gaming space outside of the few consistent hit makers.
And yet there are 5 Japanese games so far in the top 10 reviewed games this year. Top reviewed game for 2021, 2020, 2019, 2017 are Japanese. But go on.

NickFire

I caught my PS5 saying a little prayer of thanks after the state of play. It didn't know how it would have kept up if they dropped more bangers after the last couple of months.

I'm a sucker for Turtles so I'll be grabbing that in one of the fire sales when its dirt cheap. I imagine the co-op in Returnal made a lot of people happy, but I never picked it up so doesn't do much for me. Overall, the show was a yawn though,

DonJorginho

Banned
And yet there are 5 Japanese games so far in the top 10 reviewed games this year. Top reviewed game for 2021, 2020, 2019, 2017 are Japanese. But go on.
I said outside the consistent hitters buddy.

There's some top Japanese talent but as soon as you look beyond that it's all shovelware and uninspired shite.

supernova8

Banned
No your not. How could any ps4 pro owner be glad they have the inferior system? Not to mention the few exclusives to ps5 like returnal and demons souls. Being able to have faster loading and better graphics is someone not preferable?
When did I say I have a PS4 pro? (I have a regular slim PS4 that is gathering dust).

I would consider buying a PS5 once:
(1) there are more games that really show off "next gen visuals" (yeah I'm still a graphics whore get over it). There are very few PS5 exclusives and within that group a few of them don't really look like they even need to be PS5 exclusive.
(2) I can buy it for normal retail price without having to buy from scalpers or at inflated prices.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
meh show
Also it's incredible how generic Japanese game development has become. Same setting, same tropes, same systems over and over again.
ehh only really applys to square but yeah
either its a medieval fantasy or a futuristic area
literally 0 inbetween
back in the 2000s and 90s japanese devs atleast experimented more
not that western devs are much better.....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I've said this time and time again. Many Japanese developers are stuck in the PS2 era of gaming.
that's implying that they're incredibly creative studios who want to provide a timeless fun experience with memorable music, visuals and gameplay
they're stuck in the early 2010s- making mobile games but putting them on modern big budget hardware for no good reason

Top Bottom