• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staying In Sochi Is A Hilarious Adventure in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The media has descended on Sochi, and uh..it's not ready:

Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, "You will not get a shower curtain.")

[...]

In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated's Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of the Ottawa Sun was without electricity for the first day.

Oh, and one journalist in the Omega hotel complex had to refuse a colleague's request to stay a night in the second twin bed because … well, there's no easy way to say this, but when the first journalist arrived, someone had left an indeterminate amount of semen on the sheets of the second bed, and those sheets had been taken away for cleaning, and hadn't come back.

BfpGUmiCIAA6ty2.jpg

More hilarity and pics at this link: http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-hilarious-adventure-1515722114

Alx

I've seen that "don't flush toilet paper in the toilets" in Greece and Turkey too... apparently the pipes are too small for such use, and it's common to use bins for it. Although modern hotels are more up to date of course.
During the Athens Olympics many athletes complained about clogging their toilets after a few days.

Riggs

Banned
Dog killers ...

No flushing toilets ...

No electric ...

Semen all over sheets ...

Rampant homophobia ..

Just some of the fun things to enjoy posted in no meaningful order.

Oh Ya, Fuck you and your shower curtain you dirty Olympian.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why did they pick that city for the Olympics if they can't even have decent hotels, or even safe streets.

BfZCydkCQAAp0zl.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why did they pick that city for the Olympics if they can't even have decent hotels, or even safe streets.

BfZCydkCQAAp0zl.jpg

I guess they need to vent the fumes somehow

nL6LuEt.png

The "no TP in the toilet" is actually pretty common in mainland Europe.
I'm going to ask you to define "pretty common" and "mainland Europe", because I'm sure as shit I've never, ever seen such thing in Western Europe, Greece being the outlier.

No Love

Banned

nL6LuEt.png

I'm going to ask you to define "pretty common" and "mainland Europe", because I'm sure as shit I've never, ever seen such thing in Western Europe, Greece being the outlier.

Jesus Christ, that water... Chernobyl redux.

braves01

Banned
Some places in China request you put soiled TP in a bin rather than down the toilet.

And lol, gays aren't the only thing missing in Sochi.

RulkezX

nL6LuEt.png

Greece , Matla , Spain and France from my personal experience.

Maybe not in the larger metropolitan areas , but in all the Holiday resorts this is the case.

Edit : And Russian , clearly :p

jax

Banned
Dog killers ...

No flushing toilets ...

No electric ...

Semen all over sheets ...

Rampant homophobia ..

Just some of the fun things to enjoy posted in no meaningful order.

Oh Ya, Fuck you and your shower curtain you dirty Olympian.

And they're mucking up TV show schedules, don't forget about that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No it's not.

WTF.
I think I may have seen that 15 years ago in Prague's dinkiest public lavatory.

I live in Spain. I've never seen anything like that in over 30 years, not even in the most rural parts of the country. I also travel frequently to France. I honestly don't know what are you talking about.

Talon

Maybe not in the larger metropolitan areas , but in all the Holiday resorts this is the case.

I've been to London, Paris, Stuttgart, random towns in Switzerland, and Brussels and never, ever seen this as the case.

They should've gave me a heads up with those dog pictures.

Poor things.

EDIT: The TP thing would've popped up in Beijing as well. Probably not in the hotels, but no guarantees when you're out and about in the city

Tamanon

Banned
No toilet paper in the toilets is pretty common in South America from what I've seen, just about the pipes.

Could be worse.

In Ecuador public restrooms, you have to bring your own toilet paper!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've seen that "don't flush toilet paper in the toilets" in Greece and Turkey too... apparently the pipes are too small for such use, and it's common to use bins for it. Although modern hotels are more up to date of course.
During the Athens Olympics many athletes complained about clogging their toilets after a few days.

Iraq as well I think it's pretty common actually.

Ekdrm2d1

Why isn't there a national standard for plumbing pipes and such? All should be built to code and spec.

I can understand if the cities are ancient old and have had resources that are hundreds of years old. Maybe they're just too poor to replace old plumbing with new

Santiako

I've never encountered this in more than 20 years of travels through Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc

Can we discuss how insane it is that the Winter Olympics hosts roughly one fourth of the number of athletes and one third of the number events as the Summer Olympics, yet the Sochi games somehow cost about $7 billion more than the Beijing games?

Purkake4

Banned
I don't even want to think how bad it'll be for the paraolympics.
I've never encountered this in more than 20 years of travels through Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc
On the flip side, I've seen signs saying not to throw your TP in the trash in Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom