• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomrider

Member
Aug 19, 2010
806
0
0
Euroland
www.youtube.com
Gravijah said:
the binding of isaac
Heeeey... You don't look like a Sherlock Holmes playing person. Not sure I should trust you...

I want to take advantage of the sale! I MUST take advantage of it.

Joe Molotov said:
The Awakening has human sacrifices and Cthulhu and shit in it.
Cthulhu and shit is certainly a plus. I'll probably go with that one since it's cheaper and if I like it, I'll just buy Jack The Ripper when it goes on sale again.

Thanks, people.
 

KScorp

Member
Jul 2, 2009
1,265
0
0
Posted yet? From the Indie Royale bundle thread:

Madrugador said:
No, but it appeared in the Steam Registry.

Seems like the next humble bundle will have Binding of Isaac along with the soundtrack.
 

Card Boy

Banned
Aug 11, 2010
17,104
1
0
VIC, Australia
Looks like Ubisoft finally jumped on the price gouging bandwagon. AC: Revelations is now 79.99USD.

I may have to get a Gaffer to gift it to me now.

edit: the also raised the price of The Cartel to $ 79.99(lol) and Brotherhood to $69.99.
 

sixclaws

Banned
May 9, 2010
477
0
0
Turfster said:
Okay, figured I'd spread some joy too.
You know the drill, quote to reveal Steam keys, have fun.
(please say something if you've used the keys so I can update this post)
I believe that they've all been taken since I've gotten duplicate key messages for each one.
 

Nabs

Member
Nov 3, 2006
37,678
0
1,045
Tomodachi said:
I have a mind to start playing Vampire Bloodlines right now, anything I should know (patches, tweaks) before engaging?
Check the Steam Forum and download the fan patch
 

rac

Banned
Dec 13, 2009
2,860
0
0
Does anyone have a leftover frozen synapse key from the humble bundle. I want to get one for a friend.
 

Tomodachi

Member
May 19, 2006
3,311
0
0
Italy
Caerith said:
The GAF Bloodlines thread also has a walkthrough of setting up Bloodlines to be playable. It just errors out when trying otherwise.
I'm getting a weird error then trying to download the latest patch from gamefront though.
"Duplicate headers received from server", I don't have a clue, will try tomorrow again. So much for playing Bloodlines tonight :(


Edit: disregard this last post, it was only chrome doing crazy stuff, downloading right now with safari.
 

MRORANGE

Member
Oct 7, 2010
9,830
1
805
wilflare said:
there's just so much love in the past few pages <3

yeah it's quite amazing, also xelios needs a medal or something, the amount of games he has given away makes me worried that's he's gonna have to file for bankruptcy/
 

xenoflux2113

Member
Jul 28, 2009
3,931
0
0
MRORANGE said:
yeah it's quite amazing, also xelios needs a medal or something, the amount of games he has given away makes me worried that's he's gonna have to file for bankruptcy/
I said it before, babies named after him and statues and shrines devoted to him.
 

eemijun

Neo Member
Apr 20, 2011
141
0
0
Still on the fence about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Anybody got any videos or pictures that would push me over the fence?
 

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Mar 18, 2010
24,395
0
0
eemijun said:
Still on the fence about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Anybody got any videos or pictures that would push me over the fence?
If you like western rpgs, you should get it. It stands up well today.
 

Caerith

Member
May 10, 2011
5,025
0
0
California
steamcommunity.com
eemijun said:
Still on the fence about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Anybody got any videos or pictures that would push me over the fence?
It's a lot like Deus Ex. If Deus Ex is a genre, Bloodlines is squarely in it. If you liked Deus Ex, then you'll like Bloodlines (unless you have an aversion to vampires, humor, and sluts).
 

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mar 10, 2007
24,188
0
1,140
Does Origin's 'stream demo in browser' work for you guys? I get a display drive crash then it just loads forever, every time.

I hope Valve is looking into a similar feature.
 

Zel3

Member
Sep 18, 2006
810
0
0
Guys I'm thinking of buying Killing Floor and Terraria. Do I have to rent a server to play co-op with a buddy?
 

Alextended

Banned
Jan 30, 2010
9,943
0
0
Any chance of having a Frozen Synapse sale soon? I missed the bundle time stupid me as I ignore most of those since the included games usually either don't interest me or I already own those that do interest me but after playing the demo I seem to have lost a real gem this time :(
 

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Oct 9, 2007
29,365
0
1,200
So I finished up Orcs Must Die, some impressions

Took me 6 and a half hours to beat it on normal. And I have to say its probably my favorite attempt at TD in recent memory. Most TD's don't allow for the most fluid of play. They lock you into being the most efficient to survive. This didn't really have that requirement. It allowed me to fuck around a lot more between the bread and butter traps, and more of the unique ones. I made one where it would just lock the orcs bouncing back and forth between my two sides of catapult boards. Sometimes I just spammed minions. Other times I just upgrade my own character and went through the hordes.
It had a pretty swell balance between knowing what you have to do and creating what you want.

Of course its also a downfall. Nightmare seems to be a bit too hard(Just started it), while normal was too easy.

Which also leads to the next point, where your character was actually useful. They gave me enough spells to work with where on certain levels, I'd focus my traps on while, while handling the other with very little in the way of traps. Gust, Fire, Lightning, Ice. They work as how you expect it, but it actually gave me something to do and made it fun. Instead of just waiting to see if my maze failed.

Trap choice was solid. Some where every useful and regardless of the level you would have them. Others I just couldn't find a use for them. Like the grinder just didn't have enough range to work. While the Arrow walls and standard spike with slow were heavily used. The only other trap that became a must for me where the swinging maces, when they had a point. But the arrow+Spikes took care of nearly everything on their own.

Upgrades were a let down for the most part. Outside Spikes getting slow, most where pretty petty upgrades. For a good idea of allowing you to build up. They really failed on it. Good example was paying 3 full levels worth of skulls for a 100coin decrease on 5-6 traps. So now it costs 600 instead of 700. Nor did they allow upgrades to your characters weapons.

The final annoyance. Either there is online and I'm blind or there isn't online. A big why? When the gameplay feels like it would click very well with some coop.
 

Jzero

Member
Nov 1, 2009
12,385
0
0
Cuban Legend said:
He gifted me The Binding of Issac. I gifted him back Half Life 1.

The circle of life continues...
I'm broke right now but i'll buy him something from his wishlist on the Christmas sale.
 

Derrick01

Banned
May 9, 2011
34,663
0
0
So gfwl was apparently preventing me from playing Dirt 2. It kept crashing on the AMD logo screen and I read that a few other people had the same problem but was able to play with the internet off. Seems to just be an issue with that game though because I was able to get into dead rising 2 and episodes of liberty city just fine.

So yeah. Fuck GFWL and god help you if you stop me from playing Arkham City.
 

luiztfc

Member
Feb 12, 2009
847
0
640
shintoki said:
So I finished up Orcs Must Die, some impressions

Took me 6 and a half hours to beat it on normal. And I have to say its probably my favorite attempt at TD in recent memory. Most TD's don't allow for the most fluid of play. They lock you into being the most efficient to survive. This didn't really have that requirement. It allowed me to fuck around a lot more between the bread and butter traps, and more of the unique ones. I made one where it would just lock the orcs bouncing back and forth between my two sides of catapult boards. Sometimes I just spammed minions. Other times I just upgrade my own character and went through the hordes.
It had a pretty swell balance between knowing what you have to do and creating what you want.

Of course its also a downfall. Nightmare seems to be a bit too hard(Just started it), while normal was too easy.

Which also leads to the next point, where your character was actually useful. They gave me enough spells to work with where on certain levels, I'd focus my traps on while, while handling the other with very little in the way of traps. Gust, Fire, Lightning, Ice. They work as how you expect it, but it actually gave me something to do and made it fun. Instead of just waiting to see if my maze failed.

Trap choice was solid. Some where every useful and regardless of the level you would have them. Others I just couldn't find a use for them. Like the grinder just didn't have enough range to work. While the Arrow walls and standard spike with slow were heavily used. The only other trap that became a must for me where the swinging maces, when they had a point. But the arrow+Spikes took care of nearly everything on their own.

Upgrades were a let down for the most part. Outside Spikes getting slow, most where pretty petty upgrades. For a good idea of allowing you to build up. They really failed on it. Good example was paying 3 full levels worth of skulls for a 100coin decrease on 5-6 traps. So now it costs 600 instead of 700. Nor did they allow upgrades to your characters weapons.

The final annoyance. Either there is online and I'm blind or there isn't online. A big why? When the gameplay feels like it would click very well with some coop.
Thanks for this, I really want to buy this game, but I'm waiting a deal on it.
 

Narag

Member
Oct 14, 2006
53,474
1
0
i.imgur.com
shintoki said:
So I finished up Orcs Must Die, some impressions

Took me 6 and a half hours to beat it on normal. And I have to say its probably my favorite attempt at TD in recent memory. Most TD's don't allow for the most fluid of play. They lock you into being the most efficient to survive. This didn't really have that requirement. It allowed me to fuck around a lot more between the bread and butter traps, and more of the unique ones. I made one where it would just lock the orcs bouncing back and forth between my two sides of catapult boards. Sometimes I just spammed minions. Other times I just upgrade my own character and went through the hordes.
It had a pretty swell balance between knowing what you have to do and creating what you want.

Of course its also a downfall. Nightmare seems to be a bit too hard(Just started it), while normal was too easy.

Which also leads to the next point, where your character was actually useful. They gave me enough spells to work with where on certain levels, I'd focus my traps on while, while handling the other with very little in the way of traps. Gust, Fire, Lightning, Ice. They work as how you expect it, but it actually gave me something to do and made it fun. Instead of just waiting to see if my maze failed.

Trap choice was solid. Some where every useful and regardless of the level you would have them. Others I just couldn't find a use for them. Like the grinder just didn't have enough range to work. While the Arrow walls and standard spike with slow were heavily used. The only other trap that became a must for me where the swinging maces, when they had a point. But the arrow+Spikes took care of nearly everything on their own.

Upgrades were a let down for the most part. Outside Spikes getting slow, most where pretty petty upgrades. For a good idea of allowing you to build up. They really failed on it. Good example was paying 3 full levels worth of skulls for a 100coin decrease on 5-6 traps. So now it costs 600 instead of 700. Nor did they allow upgrades to your characters weapons.

The final annoyance. Either there is online and I'm blind or there isn't online. A big why? When the gameplay feels like it would click very well with some coop.
Finished it up myself tonight. Blew 27 hours over 4 days five starring everything on normal and hard and picking up all the achievements. Game was satisfyingly addictive.
 

Bluth54

Member
Feb 5, 2008
8,049
0
0
People have found a couple of hints that Valve and EA may of worked out their differences and will be bringing Battlefield 3 to Steam.

First off is this Sapphire contest, where the prize is a steam code for Battlefield 3:
"One (1) PC Game code for Battlefield 3, redeemable for the game on Steam (www.steampowered.com) with a Suggested Retail Price of $USD 59.99"


Also someone on the Steam forums found that the PBSetup.exe file, used to install Punk Buster for Battlefield Installs, was updated with a couple of interesting install directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\


Another user confirms it.

I had my doubts that EA and Valve would be able to work something out but it's looking more and more like they were able to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.