• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fear 2 is definitely a weird one. They even made a special, Games for Windows Live version.

Crazy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Well that's certainly skdjhfkjdsfghkjsdg worthy.

I bought it earlier assuming it was Steamworks seeing as, well, the game is a Steamworks game. When the key wouldn't activate, I checked the GG store page and noticed it listed SecuRom as DRM. It seems non-Steam DD versions of the game aren't Steamworks, whilst the Steam and retail versions are.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
MNC said:
Brings down battlefield to 33 euros.

Edit: Hard Reset ain't discounted no more :(
UK only right? I have to buy bf3 today (I know I know), and that 33 euros for LE is just too tempting.
So I guess the rumor that said EA and Valve were in the final stage of a deal to bring BF3 to steam wasn't true at all.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Stumpokapow said:
The purpose of the thread is to discuss games. New games, old games, games on sale, games not on sale, Steam registry leaks, game impressions, performance impressions, reviews, gifting and international pricing, whatever.

Speaking of which, I reinstalled Defense Grid because Dungeon Defenders hates me and disconnects all the time. I like the concept of DG, but I am so awful at the game that I get frustrated and quit after an hour or so.

Archie said:
Speaking of which, I reinstalled Defense Grid because Dungeon Defenders hates me and disconnects all the time. I like the concept of DG, but I am so awful at the game that I get frustrated and quit after an hour or so.

Thats a shame since it's a great game. I'd suggest looking a few youtube solutions just to get the strategy ideas. But stop after you start to get the basics. Or just reading about the strategies of course.

MNC

Trying out Sequence thanks to Feep (You rock!)

The game didn't want to boot the first five times, and it only started processes. After playing a different game and trying again, it finally worked. So now it booted, in windowed mode (which is okay) but I notice the icon on the taskbar keeps jumping about; as if the game keeps closing then starting again. And during the first cutscene it crashed. :/

Edit: Apparently the game doesn't like being out of focus.

I could now play it for a while; gameplay is really interesting, nice!

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
Trying out Sequence thanks to Feep (You rock!)

The game didn't want to boot the first five times, and it only started processes. After playing a different game and trying again, it finally worked. So now it booted, in windowed mode (which is okay) but I notice the icon on the taskbar keeps jumping about; as if the game keeps closing then starting again. And during the first cutscene it crashed. :/

Edit: Apparently the game doesn't like being out of focus.
I -think- there was a potential fix discovered (running the .exe in compatibility mode for one of the Windows XP versions), and possibly a patch incoming today or tomorrow.

Fullscreen worked fine though it's not black-barred so the aspect ratio can be off.

Myst, Riven, Uru. Those games are just too complex for me. I can never seem to think outside the box enough for solving their cryptic riddles.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I love Myst. I may buy this, but then again I probably not play them before Christmas so...

Archie said:
machine gun turrets! seriously they are probably overpowered and it's easy to gloss over them for the fancier turrets due to their cheap price and the fact that they are the first turret unlocked.

also, using backspace to skip to previous checkpoints is your friend. until you know exactly what waves to expect you will invariably fail due to having an improper setup. the in-game turret/monster compendium should help you figure out how to counter anything thrown at you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
warbegins said:
machine gun turrets! seriously they are probably overpowered and it's easy to gloss over them for the fancier turrets due to their cheap price and the fact that they are the first turret unlocked.

also, using backspace to skip to previous checkpoints is your friend. until you know exactly what waves to expect you will invariably fail due to having an improper setup. the in-game turret/monster compendium should help you figure out how to counter anything thrown at you.
Slow towers are also the other one you want to invest into. One or two at key points. Rest of them aren't really need since the standard tower is so effective and cheap to upgrade.

You don't need a lot of Air defense either for those levels. Most of the time, one in the right spot can handle the entire wave of them. 2 to be on the safe side.

mrgone

Anyone find a x2 window option in Serious Sam: The Random encounter yet? The scaling's kind of messed up in fullscreen at my resolution (1680x1050) and regular windowed is tiny. So far the game seems pretty fun :)

mrgone said:
Anyone find a x2 window option in Serious Sam: The Random encounter yet? The scaling's kind of messed up in fullscreen at my resolution (1680x1050) and regular windowed is tiny. So far the game seems pretty fun :)

Does it have controller support? Just wondering if I'll need to create a profile for XPadder.

mrgone

jim-jam bongs said:
Does it have controller support? Just wondering if I'll need to create a profile for XPadder.
No controller support from what I can tell, but you'll probably find you don't need it - I was all set to do the same, but it turned out to be pretty simple control-wise.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oooh, Cyan pack. Might bite. Though I already have the majority of Myst games on GOG already, so there is no real need, but... on Steam.

Hmm, I will think about it.

mrgone said:
No controller support from what I can tell, but you'll probably find you don't need it - I was all set to do the same, but it turned out to be pretty simple control-wise.

Hmm my only concern is that I'm > 10ft from my TV, but I guess I do have my Steam U controller to work with if necessary.

mrgone

jim-jam bongs said:
Hmm my only concern is that I'm > 10ft from my TV, but I guess I do have my Steam U controller to work with if necessary.
Oh! No reason not to set up a profile, then. The simple controls'll map really well

I've got a question for anyone who has canceled a pre-order. Did the money go back to whatever it was you used to pay, or did they just put it in your wallet? I had a few pre-orders canceled and it's showing the money in my wallet but an e-mail I got back from them said it would get put back on the card I used to purchase them. Which is a debit card, in my case.

By the way, I just preordered LOTR on GMG and it could have been a little bit less confusing. The store page says that it requires Steam (correct). When you buy it the post-sale page says that you need Capsule, their downloader (incorrect). And when you get the email it says "Activation Keys" followed by two lines of white-space (keys get emailed on 1st of November). Just a heads up for anyone planning on grabbing it from there, DON'T PANIC.

mrgone said:
Oh! No reason not to set up a profile, then. The simple controls'll map really well

Ehhhhhhhxcellent :D

Glass Rebel

Okay, back from Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, here are my impressions:

First off, if you use a QWERTZ keyboard like me, you'll get angry. The game only uses the arrows, Z and X so I had to change to an US layout to have Z (in fact Y) and X next to each other. Sadly there's no option to change it either. Minor hassle for me, non-issue for the most here though.

Anyway, the game is really fun, which was to be expected. The options screen is pretty barebones though:

New Game
Continue Game
Endless Mode - You apparently need to unlock this first, I can't access it
Options - Only three options, Fullscreen Toggle, Sound Toggle, Delete Data. Self-explanatory.
Quit

You get to choose one of 3 savestates and start the game with Sam being sent to the future to kill Mental. It has some nice spritework, even in fullscreen IMO and I couldn't find any performance issues so far. The music on the other hands is really, really bland. Don't know what they were thinking with this bleep bloop sound. Story is neglectable and the writing is fun-dumb: Some might like the stupid one-liners, others might not. It got a few chuckles out of me.

Now the gameplay is where the game really shines. You're playing through several small maps, some with bosses at the end and of course lots of random encounters. Keys, crates, teleporters, doors etc. are scattered through the maps too, pretty standard RPG fare. A nice touch was being able to swim in water tiles, it's even reflected in battles. Nothing too fancy until you actually encounter a group of enemies. You have control over up to three characters, including Sam, running away from pretty much any Serious Sam enemy and shooting at them. The chars share a pool of weapons you get through crates or levelling up (more later), so if you own only one shotgun, only one of your characters can use it at a time.

The battles are fought in 5 second long turns where you chose the actions from a menu with three options: [Fight] lets you choose, depending of the weapon your character is carrying, where you aim with it. Revolvers aim automatically at the nearest enemy, miniguns in a straight line and shotguns have a radius: Smaller circle means more accuracy and vice versa. You'll find other weapons over the course of the game with various effects. [Swap] lets you choose another weapon. It takes some time at the beginning of a turn to change the weapon but you can still attack. [Item] let's you use an item instead of attacking. After you've confirmed your decision the round starts. You can move your guys up and down with the arrow keys to dodge attacks or aim your guns. Enemies attack with ranged weapons or run at you. After 5 seconds you can choose another option and the next round starts. This goes on until you beat the enemies or all of your guys get killed. If you win, your characters are completely healed and you get "experience points" (not yet!). If not, you lose one of your 3 lifes and if you reach 0 you have to start at the beginning of the map. As far as I know, you get to keep your weapons and items though. The fights offer a decent challenge from what I've played and in this regard it really felt like a Serious Sam game.

As for stats there are only two: The first is health which goes up to 100 with armor giving you 100 additional health. The other is this experience I was talking about (here it is!). It's not really experience though, since there are no character levels in this game. Instead, after each fight a bar fills up for a bit and when its full you get an item instead of a level up.

That's basically it.

It's not really an RPG and if you're expecting something like Cthuhlu you're going to be disappointed. It's still a nice little game with minor low points (lack of options and sound) and perfect in short bursts. A really interesting take on the JRPG formula that still managed to capture the essence of Serious Sam. For the price I can only recommend it.

Sophuis

Neo Member
How likely is some sort of discount on Skyrim before it releases? I'm hesitant to buy Skyrim at full price right now. Does it make sense to wait? If they're doing any kind of discount, how far in advance is that, usually?

And when IS the winter sale, anyway? I missed half of the summer sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sophuis said:
How likely is some sort of discount on Skyrim before it releases? I'm hesitant to buy Skyrim at full price right now. Does it make sense to wait? If they're doing any kind of discount, how far in advance is that, usually?

If there was any kind of pre-order discount on Steam, it should already be there.

If you want it cheaper, it looks like you currently have two options: 1) Direct 2 Drive currently has the game for $53.95. & 2) Wait to see if the price fluctuates before launch over at Amazon.com.

Those are currently your only options if you want the game on or near release, but don't want to pay full price.

Winter sale begins near Christmas. Last year this meant December 21st.

garath

Sophuis said:

You just missed a discount on Newegg. $48. It was over the weekend :(

Probably shouldn't even mention it. I'm opting to pay the extra $12 on Steam directly just to have it the day of. I'd really like to play it over that weekend.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Oh right. I'm in Euroland, where Steam registers the game at a standard 50 Euros, so I shouldn't complain. Still, lot of money, student funds and all that. I keep hearing about these CD key sites, but they don't seem too kosher. Think I'll take the full hit and be prepared to play over the weekend, then.

Thanks for the replies.

wilflare

Sophuis said:
Oh right. I'm in Euroland, where Steam registers the game at a standard 50 Euros, so I shouldn't complain. Still, lot of money, student funds and all that. I keep hearing about these CD key sites, but they don't seem too kosher. Think I'll take the full hit and be prepared to play over the weekend, then.

Thanks for the replies.

if you don't wanna use cdkey sites
just add me on steam = same GAFnick
i'll get you the game at USD pricing for paypal

Sophuis

Neo Member
wilflare said:
if you don't wanna use cdkey sites
just add me on steam = same GAFnick
i'll get you the game at USD pricing for paypal
Thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch when time permits.

PaulLFC

It seems there may be another Humble Indie Bundle soon containing Binding of Isaac and Blocks that Matter:

vIQQX.png

There's also a new Gothic 'Complete' Pack which contains all Gothic games (including Arcania) except the expansion for Arcania. Since the expansion has an entry right above the pack, it seems it might be a midweek/weekend deal when the expansion is released.

Hanzou

PaulLFC said:
It seems there may be another Humble Indie Bundle soon containing Binding of Isaac and Blocks that Matter:

vIQQX.png

There's also a new Gothic 'Complete' Pack which contains all Gothic games (including Arcania) except the expansion for Arcania. Since the expansion has an entry right above the pack, it seems it might be a midweek/weekend deal when the expansion is released.

Humble Bundle bought!!!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PaulLFC said:

Sweet, glad I waited on Isaac - it saved me $4.98.

j/k Will buy the bundle, as I always do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm poor as fuck so that bundle interests me, seeing as how it has at least two games I surely want.
These things usually expand, right?

Eusis

morningbus said:
Those are currently your only options if you want the game on or near release, but don't want to pay full price.
How near release? Because if there's a Thanksgiving sale again I imagine it'd at least have a modest discount for it, like 20-33% off.

And it was $5 less a few months back on Amazon. Helps alleviate how annoying it is the $10 credit offer is on the console versions but not the PC one that's the same price.

Dwayne

PaulLFC said:

vIQQX.png

Interesting it's called lexaloffle but doesn't contain any lexaloffle games... Voxatron coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom