• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
027ae14276bd7eeea153c6fa3957e6efa730c8cf.jpg

Yay. Now maybe Konami will bring Silent Hill 2/3 to Steam.
:(

HoosTrax

:lol

I kinda wish we were getting Harmony of Despair. Most fun I've had with Castlevania.

Admittedly I've not played SotN, or any of the GBA/DS outings though
HoD (er, Harmony of Despair, not Dissonance...freaking Konami and their nonsensical names) is actually the one I want to see on Steam above all else. I don't have a PS360, so this is the only 2D CV I haven't played yet.

I'm a stickler for canon, and I'm not too happy with how they've completely fucked up the original storyline with the Lords of Shadow trilogy.

Salsa

I'm a stickler for canon, and I'm not too happy with how they're completely fucked up the original storyline with the Lords of Shadow trilogy.

they didn't fuck it up, they just rebooted it, it's another thing

Castlevania's "canon" was a fucking joke, let's be real. I enjoyed the little bits of story in the 2D portable games but it was reaching critical mass.

Dr Dogg

Those are three games, they all follow the same storyline in a non-linear structure.

Hahaha yeah I can see your point. Would be nice if they dropped the 2 and went with a subtitle. I've already had a clusterfuck with Ubisoft and their titling systems just this weekend so rather that another dev doesn't get some silly ideas.

Trilogy spread over two different sets of hardware too! I hate this shit but luckily I own a 3DS now.

Still I bet you enjoying the wonders of the 3DS right? *looking at mine sat dusty on its Kid Icarus stand*

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hahaha yeah I can see your point. Would be nice if they dropped the 2 and went with a subtitle. I've already had a clusterfuck with Ubisoft and their titling systems just this weekend so rather that another dev doesn't get some silly ideas.

Oh, Now I see your problem: The trilogy doesn't have three games named in succession. The way you see it, Mirror of Fate is a side story, specially since it isn't the direct continuation of Lords of Shadow 1 (Lords of Shadow 2 is).

Like Halo 3 ODST is not part of the Halo Trilogy (1, 2 and 3).

I'd say that's a valid concern. :D

Its not available through DD anymore so that price is impossible.

Online retailers and DD are not the only options. Garage sales, local craigslist etc. Hell, even eBay has deals once in a blue moon. You can get deals on pretty much any game that way. Not everyone on the planet knows obscure details of every game they own, like if the publisher no longer has the rights to a license.

So if he can find it somewhere for cheap, it may be worth a look. That's what I'm saying.

next week: red dead

GAF meltdown. But I would like the combination of SEGA putting up Panzer Dragoon, Platinum with the mandatory Vanquish/Bayonetta I keep bawwwwing about and, yes, Red Dead Redemption... while at the same time a Halo series pre-order page goes up on Steam.

Brace yourselves!!!!

edit: oh, and MGS, Silent Hill, Z.O.E., Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue...

Chronoja

Worms Armageddon is still being updated. I wish they'd finally sell the thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217200/discussions/0/810919056986798446/

That explains the registry update from the other day. I thought they were getting ready to sell it again too.

Such a shame :( an influx of new players would really do the game good, I'd love to play it multiplayer but the only people left playing it any more are crate shoppers and rope racers and what not. It's like jumping into counter strike 1.6 and finding people only play gungame and have done so for the last 6 years.

Dr Dogg

I actually am! It's a nice handheld.

Well after finishing Thearythym and OoT 3D I haven't picked mine up. Want to finish KI but being a freakish lefty it's torture to play without a Circle Pad Pro. Still Devil Survivor OC and Fire Emblem are out here in Euroland next month so will definitely get some use.

I'd kill for a Steam handheld. And no not a laptop but seeing as Linux is getting stuff slowly brought over it could be feasible for some Chinese or Taiwanese company to put something together. Must have physical buttons though or no dice.

Hellix

Worms Revolution wasn't the only game they bundled it with as a preorder bonus right? They might just bring it back for whatever other Worms shovelware they dump out.

I bought Worms Revolution just to get it. I don't think I played more than 10 minutes on Revolution...

dani_dc

GAF meltdown. But I would like the combination of SEGA putting up Panzer Dragoon, Platinum with the mandatory Vanquish/Bayonetta I keep bawwwwing about and, yes, Red Dead Redemption... while at the same time a Halo series pre-order page goes up on Steam.

Brace yourselves!!!!

edit: oh, and MGS, Silent Hill, Z.O.E., Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue...

Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia should be getting HD ports ala Jet Set Radio if rumors are to be believed. So if there's any truth to that we should get them on Steam as well.

I'd welcome Panzer Dragoon, Vanquish and Bayonetta with open arms.
And while we're on the subject of Sega, and this one will be a bit more obscure, but I hope they release Dragon Force at some point, ideally in the same format as NiGHTS (PS2/Saturn graphics).

Bluth54

I wasn't a big fan of Lord of Shadows when I played it on 360, but I hope it sells well and Konami decides to bring SotN plus the GBA and DS Castlevania games to Steam.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I have a problem with sound on my computer. This happens in a lot of games. If I don't have headphones connected when I start the game, the game will only play through my speakers even if I try and plug in headphones. The opposite is true too - taking out headphones once the game has started results in no sound through the speakers.

Any suggestions for this?

Grief.exe

Damn. Nabs is like a Metroidvania blood hound.

Isn't LoS a linear action game?

I have a problem with sound on my computer. This happens in a lot of games. If I don't have headphones connected when I start the game, the game will only play through my speakers even if I try and plug in headphones. The opposite is true too - taking out headphones once the game has started results in no sound through the speakers.

The game will default to whatever windows gas set to its default sound device when you launch the game.

Isaccard

Tech Support GAF might be able to assist you better.

Isn't LoS a linear action game?

It is. I played it on the PS3 and only got about half-way or so through it before I got sidetracked by something else.

Game looks and plays pretty well, but the framerate is terrible. If the Steam version is reasonably priced, I'd have no problem double-dipping for the better performance (assuming the port is actually good).

sprinkles

Anyone want a Puzzle Bots key?

Edit: Opinions on Gemini Rue and Resonance?
Playing Gemini Rue right now, it is a mixed bag. I like the setting and most of the story. Even if it kind of just throws you in without explaining much it works out fine. I dislike the recycling of the same assets. The voice work is great though and the adventure part is robust for the most part, but the controls (shooting, inventory) are frustrating.

Glass Rebel

You got Aquaria right? Capsized is sort of Metroidvania. Well more 2D platforming sidescroller but is mighty fun and has a demo.

Dust is coming to PC soon, game looks great and is based on a metroidvania title.

If you haven't played Aria of Sorrow, pick up a GBA and play it.

I should have clarified, I'm more in the mood for a proper new Metroid. I own Aquaria but stopped playing for some reason and I'm a bit worried about the controls of Capsized. I hope Nintendo finally brings GBA games to 3DS because I want to replay the Castlevanias.

I will definitely check out Dust when it comes though, despite my aversion to furries.

Sonic CD and Dark Souls are also great metroidvanias.

These as well! Thanks morningbus!

Dr Dogg

I should have clarified, I'm more in the mood for a proper new Metroid. I own Aquaria but stopped playing for some reason and I'm a bit worried about the controls of Capsized. I hope Nintendo finally brings GBA games to 3DS because I want to replay the Castlevanias.

I will definitely check out Dust when it comes though, despite my aversion to furries

Well Mama Robotnik to the rescue.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523143

Glass Rebel

I saw that, still don't know how I'm going to play it. I own Super Metroid on Virtual Console but afaik the only way to get a ROM without the original cartridge is to download it and while it's technically legal in Switzerland, I don't want to do that.

Oh well, enough non-Steam OT :)

Arkham Asylum is a great metroidvania style game as well.

Loved it except for the combat. Couldn't get into City :/

Dr Dogg

Not a fair comparison. EBA didn't make you run through the same corridor for five minutes between sequences. Of course you are going to enjoy it more.

I walk coz I'm stupid and forget that this game is stuck in the 80's with a run button when it has an analogue stick available for most systems it's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom