• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Barely on the list this time:

Man I didn't notice that - if I would have made two more posts I would have been on the top posters list :p

Faabulous

The general sentiment seems to be that it is a good fun fps that has some neat new twists on the genre but relatively lacking in content.

I know people that are "done" with it and will never play it again.
These were people that were really looking forward to it, so... yeah.
Glad I didn't care about it from the start =p

Saving my money for Dark Souls 2 and Wargame Red Dragon then (can almost buy both with the money I would use for Titanfall thanks to the Wargame loyalty discount). Thanks guys.

Grief.exe

Binding of Isaac Rebirth Sheol track revealed yesterday, sounds particularly evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbiblpG4lAs

I posted this in the last thread, but in case you missed it. If you scan this QR code into your 3DS it spits out this image for Binding of Isaac Rebirth

isaac-vs-monstro.mpo

ulTZU6i.png

FloatOn

Dark Souls Question : how high to you value mobility? I've been trying to stay under the 50% encumber rate, but just found some stone armor that will basically make me a walking tank. Emphasis on 'walking'. Haven't fully suited up to see how it goes though.

---------------

get it together, dude.

1) have you killed havel yet? he's the big fat bastard at the bottom of the tower in the basin (near the hydra). he gives you a ring that boosts your equip load.

2) too much real life. shit got real.

Dark Souls Question : how high to you value mobility? I've been trying to stay under the 50% encumber rate, but just found some stone armor that will basically make me a walking tank. Emphasis on 'walking'. Haven't fully suited up to see how it goes though.

In general, mobility is king in the Souls game beyond a few specific setups. I'd stick with your roll.

Tempted to buy Mirror of Fate as playing it on the 3DS at 15 FPS was horrible. I don't even know it was a good or bad game. Did enjoy LoS2 despite the flaws so I probably should.

It wasn't very good and I don't think a better frame rate will fix it. The saving grace for me was the 3D effect, which was very well done.

I'm assuming it is without that, so I would pass.

Cross posting. Facebook buys Oculus. I'm sure that's Steam relevant somehow.

and holy shit.

1) have you killed havel yet? he's the big fat bastard at the bottom of the tower in the basin (near the hydra). he gives you a ring that boosts your equip load.

2) too much real life. shit got real.

Just killed Havel, so that was a big boost. I'll try it out and see how things go.

real life > GAF life man. Hoping things are working out

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Oculus was just bought by Facebook. That can't be good

I go to the front page of Gaf's gaming side to see if there's a thread about it. The top three most recent threads are all about it. Wow, that's the most I've ever seen about a piece of news so close together at the top.

Parsnip

I never fatroll. It's awful. Mobility over anything.

Well, not over anything, but the way I played Dark Souls (and to some extent Demon's Souls as well) first time was with a large shield, fast sword and whatever armor I could then wear while still keeping under 50% equip load.

mannerbot

I'm already getting used to a slow axe to attack, I don't know if I could do slow movement AND slow attack.

Slow movement and slow attack is actually a pretty typical pairing. I mean yeah, obviously if you're putting it like that it sounds awful, but that's just looking at the downsides. What you're actually saying is you have high defensive stats/poise from your armor and your attacks hit really hard. If you have a slow weapon the poise is essential so that you don't get your attacks interrupted, and obviously since you're planning on taking hits the defensive stats are needed as well.

Having said that, fast rolling is the most enjoyable way to play. Having medium or heavy armor gives you a lot more room for error so it's natural to gravitate toward that when you're new, but heavy armor can trivialize a lot of encounters (as in, you just stand there and hit the boss and let him hit you) and suck the fun out of them. But yes, you should avoid fat rolling. Endurance is a very important stat that you should be prioritizing anyway so with Havel's Ring and high endurance you can probably mid-roll with whatever heavy armor you like (might have to swap out certain pieces for lighter ones or go without a helm/gloves, for example).

HoosTrax

Wow. Never imagined that Palmer Luckey would sell out like that. At least not to a shit company like Facebook. Actually, I'd be a lot more pissed if I had decided to go through with ordering a dev kit, only for him to sell out to Facebook.

Oh well. 4k gaming it is I guess.

That's interesting...

Why are people expecting things from Valve now? They said they wouldn't be selling consumer VR.

And now people say Sony won.

ugh

Khronico

Once you go below 25%, you can NEVER go back. Just started a new playthrough on the ps3 version and being able to outmaneuver opponents is far more beneficial than just being able to take hits (imo).

Althought don't let that stop you from getting that Endurance up to 40.

Cth

Quick question for anyone who knows the answer..

Is there a resource for finding out when Steam keys are given to purchases made on other systems (ie: Desura, etc). From what I can tell it's not an automatic thing (meaning just because you have a Desura key you won't get a Steam key). For now, I'm checking under http://www.desura.com/collection for said keys.

This is the first time I've looked into old purchases/gifts and found some free/bonus games as a result. Just got a key for Last Knight thanks to this and hopefully get one for One Finger Death Punch when they get that straightened out?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Why is facebook owning Oculus now so terrible?

I can't think of any positive results coming from Facebook buying anything. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some mandatory social media bullshit shoehorned in there now, like you have to link it to a Facebook account just to use it.

From Mark Zuckenberg's post on facebook:

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

I don't think this is all that bad for OR necessarily. It would seem they have made it clear to Facebook that they really want to cater to gaming, not just facebook games and mobile games.

This way OR can get massive resources and incredible publicity and exposure to the public.

And of course, VR/AR will potentially become the future faster than anticipated.

There are certain risks of course, but for now I wouldn't judge it necessarily bad.

Cth

Aside from integration into Unity, I still don't see why VR won't be the newest motion controller fad.

Arthea

Quick question for anyone who knows the answer..

Is there a resource for finding out when Steam keys are given to purchases made on other systems (ie: Desura, etc). From what I can tell it's not an automatic thing (meaning just because you have a Desura key you won't get a Steam key). For now, I'm checking under http://www.desura.com/collection for said keys.

This is the first time I've looked into old purchases/gifts and found some free/bonus games as a result. Just got a key for Last Knight thanks to this and hopefully get one for One Finger Death Punch when they get that straightened out?

there is a list on wiki, I sometimes check, usually forget though, but may be it'll be different for you, here it is
igbwiki.com/wiki/Keys_Added

Corpekata

Banned
I think the "FARMVILLE VR LOL" hysterics are pretty silly. Yeah, they don't have a great track record but it'd take a lot to really twist the Rift that badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom