• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already added a few sorting / filtering options to the wishlist that somewhat alleviate this. I'm planning on adding checkboxes similar to the ones I put on store pages for lists of DLC. As with those check boxes, there will be an options panel that will allow you to select games in bulk by certain conditions (such as "Under $5", etc). Then there will be multiple buttons at the bottom such as "Add Selected To Cart" or "Remove Selected From Wishlist".

You mention that you have a large wishlist and that the "Buy Wishlist" button is gone and that's probably the cause. Steam sometimes times out on this request when you have a lot of games on your wishlist, usually people start seeing problems when they have over 200 games on there.

Awesome. That is great to hear and can't wait to see what you come up with next. :)

So a friend on Steam suddenly came online and immediately opened a chat with me, shouted FEELS TIME!! and linked me to two youtube videos... from the ME3 OST :|

fuck :'(
What's funny is that Leaving Earth actually goes pretty well with Star Trek: Voyager and Deep Space 9's opening credits if you sync them after the Reaper fog horns. I actually did it on Tubedubber back when that thing worked.

Hooray, I can pick up that last piece of The Bureau DLC for < $1.25. Score.

Under an hour til the new Humble Weekly, right?

--

Why are the cards for Deadfall not selling? This is annoying. :(

What kind of game is it?

ss_3d13f1d7e6a6c94ac68ddeb38572e1b666a37af1.1920x1080.jpg

Otherwise, I don't know.

Grief.exe

Character building: ME1. They turned it full Call of Duty/Skyrim in the sequel. They went from overly convoluted to completely homogenized, should have found an interesting middle ground.

Gameplay: ME2. Not much to say here, the shooting and general moment to moment gameplay improved significantly in the sequel.

Story: ME1. Story actually kept me enthralled all the way to the ending and I couldn't wait to find out more. The writing design obviously changed in the sequel, it went from interesting to cartoon enemy with a lack of compelling motivation.

I've played ME1 5-6 times, ME2 once.

zkylon

zkylewd
because of this

iZMHp4iKcSDXw.gif

and this guy

3425Merchant_copy.jpg
I think RE4 is loved because of the first few areas and the "zombie" attacks on the houses. It really was special at the time and I can't think of any game that got close to that same style of terror.

From there I'll contend the game is pretty ordinary except for the inclusion of several amazing boss battles.

Contrast that to the much maligned RE5. The attacks are no longer special, because they have done it all before...and the boss battles sucked. Other than that it is pretty much the same thing.
You shoot a guy into his stupid knee and suplex him to ground while 2 giants throw rocks at your in a room filled with lava while a guy while a chainsaw chases you.

It's arguably the best TPS out there and it influences TPS games to this day.

I love classic RE and love survival horror/locked cameras/tank controls more than anything but RE4 is TPS perfection
ah ok, I really liked the early parts too but the castle and blonde girl rescuing and dwarf evil lords were less than great for me :p

I'm also not so able to appreciate them changing the gameplay. I'll agree with people all they want about tank controls being a pain in the ass but damn if I didn't enjoy those games 10 times more

QAPICvm.png

Some of you might remember Grief's Twitter campaign about more Sega PC ports. To finally get this somewhere, Taro was finally able to put the petition up and now we obviously need every signature we can get.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98167889&postcount=1108

It would be great if SteamGAF could be part of this.
I was playing bayonetta just now and seriously, this petition is not for us, but for the japanese god that is kamiya, who deserves his art to be appreciated in its perfect form of 60 fps

ZeroCoin

Small giveaway. Have at it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Reus -- MB-DC53A984D1D0250D - Taken by ClassyPenguin. 6 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-CDEB73E32870CA80 - Taken by KenOD. 3 entrants total.

t1390501476z1.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is all just an elaborate ploy by jshackles to get audio of someone searching for "Rapelay" on the store.

Acccent

Character building: ME1. They turned it full Call of Duty/Skyrim in the sequel. They went from overly convoluted to completely homogenized, should have found an interesting middle ground.

Gameplay: ME2. Not much to say here, the shooting and general moment to moment gameplay improved significantly in the sequel.

Story: ME1. Story actually kept me enthralled all the way to the ending and I couldn't wait to find out more. The writing design obviously changed in the sequel, it went from interesting to cartoon enemy with a lack of compelling motivation.

Haha I didn't intend to start a convo about ME but I'm kinda glad I did :>
fake edit - me = 'mass effect' not 'me, robin' x_x

You never played ME3? Is it by choice?
I mostly agree with your statements, except I preferred ME1's gameplay because I'm really not fond of shooters; I loved when in ME1 you'd hide behind a cover for ages, waiting for powers to recharge, while the enemies would swap from one place to another going 'GO GO GO' or 'HOLD THE LINE' indefinitely - obviously those aren't 'good' things per se, and 2's combat is hugely more finely tuned, but I've played 1 so much that I've come to know those enemy lines by heart, and the slow pace of the game somehow gets me into a perfect flow. I also loved those moments in ME1 where you felt the devs' passion and ambition to create a space-opera RPG - as in, table-top RPG, like when you deactivated a rogue AI and you'd get this tiny pop-up message narrating the events as if it was a GM :D

But I think ME3 managed to polish things even further while re-implementing strategy and RPG elements, and it struck a very nice balance imo; plus whole game focuses on the relationships between the characters in the face of impending doom, and I think it's an absolutely beautiful theme and the reason why I loved ME in the first place, so, yeah. Can't wait for the next game.

milena87

I prefer the gameplay of ME1 to both 2 and 3, but I know it's not a popular opinion. Between ME2 and ME3 I much preferred the combat in ME3, because at least it made it possible to play the entire game on Insanity without taking cover (Sentinel+Liara ftw). I hate taking cover.

I agree about the rest. ME1 was my favourite of the three and I loved every second of it. It was the first game in a long time that I restarted as soon as the credits rolled.
I played it at least a dozen times, while I went through ME2 3 times and ME3 once.

It's a weird question but does anyone knows if the Light Plasma Pistol replaces the original weapon in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified or can be selected?

Hmm. GRID 2 for $7.50 over at Gamersgate is kind of tempting. I enjoyed GRID 1 back in the day, and don't really have a "real" racing title on my PC (Sonic doesn't count!)

Daily The Raven 75% off
Weekend
  • Sanctum 2 85% off Free weekend
  • The Bureau 75% off

Sanctum 2 DLC is also 85% off

Oh hell yes. I have never bought DLC before but I will definitely be purchasing the season pass for $1.79, that's an absolute steal. Please GAF buy this game, it's a lot of fun (especially when playing co-op) and it's depressing only seeing a handful of people online playing it!

That's EXACTLY what I said. That the whole game felt like a Saturday morning cartoon to me.

I think one of the biggest problems I had with ME2 was how they removed most of the RPG elements and made it almost a straight up TPS with some story sections. Sure the combat is better, but if I wanted to play a competent TPS, I have other options...

That and I always was annoyed at how they tried to make it like your choices actually affected the story in meaningful ways. The closest I've seen in any bioware game was DA:O where the type of units you got in the final battle changed depending on what you did in parts of the story leading up to it and how those units actually had different properties and abilities. I actually had to think about my choices there without just going "am I paragon or renegade, which am I pushing this playthrough".

Haha I didn't intend to start a convo about ME but I'm kinda glad I did :>
fake edit - me = 'mass effect' not 'me, robin' x_x

You never played ME3? Is it by choice?
I mostly agree with your statements, except I preferred ME1's gameplay because I'm really not fond of shooters; I loved when in ME1 you'd hide behind a cover for ages, waiting for powers to recharge, while the enemies would swap from one place to another going 'GO GO GO' or 'HOLD THE LINE' indefinitely - obviously those aren't 'good' things per se, and 2's combat is hugely more finely tuned, but I've played 1 so much that I've come to know those enemy lines by heart, and the slow pace of the game somehow gets me into a perfect flow. I also loved those moments in ME1 where you felt the devs' passion and ambition to create a space-opera RPG - as in, table-top RPG, like when you deactivated a rogue AI and you'd get this tiny pop-up message narrating the events as if it was a GM :D

But I think ME3 managed to polish things even further while re-implementing strategy and RPG elements, and it struck a very nice balance imo; plus whole game focuses on the relationships between the characters in the face of impending doom, and I think it's an absolutely beautiful theme and the reason why I loved ME in the first place, so, yeah. Can't wait for the next game.

The best thing about ME3, far and away for me, was the multiplayer. I have no idea how they managed that -- it was a surprisingly good addition in the way that Dead Space 2's multi was a good addition (if people were to actually play it as intended) in contrast to something that felt to me like a forced add on like Uncharted's multiplayer (probably also Bioshock 2 and The Darkness, but I can't speak from experience on those).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I am glad I played through all of the Mass Effect games, even the iOS titles, I don't believe I will ever revisit them outside of the original.

The first title, while of less enjoyable game play as a third person shooter, still has that feeling of a universe I want to explore and talk to people, to enjoy the story through and imagine more on my own. Enough I can appreciate it fully on it's own.
I personally didn't care for how disjointed Mass Effect 3 felt with certain key big events, as well as the dropped "disable the Reaper signal sub-plot", thus I'll just play the first game while imagining Sovereign was the last of his kind with no later story in the franchise taking place for my own personal enjoyment

The best thing about ME3, far and away for me, was the multiplayer. I have no idea how they managed that -- it was a surprisingly good addition in the way that Dead Space 2's multi was a good addition (if people were to actually play it as intended) in contrast to something that felt to me like a forced add on like Uncharted's multiplayer (probably also Bioshock 2 and The Darkness, but I can't speak from experience on those).

Bioshock 2's multiplayer was forced on development wise, and while not the best of options out there for just multiplayer death match, it was actually quite nice in the fact it served as part of the story line to experience the civil war of Rapture. Forced, but they made it mean something at least.

Small giveaway. Have at it.

Have at it I did and now Two Brothers is mine. Thank you my friend.

This game looks cool but its not even on greenlight yet :( http://gambrinous.com/games/dungeoneering/#screens

A surprising number of games are going for that paper aesthetic for their art style as of late. Looks good, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
People defending Mass Effect as the best Mass Effect game? I knew SteamGAF had good taste. I should buy that Bad Rats game everybody's always taking about.

Divius

Any way to alter the order in which screenshots are uploaded/portayed? Just uploaded 2 screens and they are in the opposite order that I want them in.

Kassu

Banned
Hmm. GRID 2 for $7.50 over at Gamersgate is kind of tempting. I enjoyed GRID 1 back in the day, and don't really have a "real" racing title on my PC (Sonic doesn't count!)
Grid 2 isn't a real racing game because it lacks cockpit view. Grid 1 is one of my favorite racing games ever but I refuse to pay them any money until they add it back. I'm not really missing anything though, all Codemasters games crash on my PC all the time so it's not like I can play them anyway.

Should I bother with The Bureau? How good is it and has it been cheaper elsewhere?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol I want those sega games on PC but not enough to go to reddit

Also the cockpit view was shit in Grid 1 and neither game is a real racing game they are arcadey as fuck. And grid 2 happens to be a lot more fun.

Turfster

Any way to alter the order in which screenshots are uploaded/portayed? Just uploaded 2 screens and they are in the opposite order that I want them in.

The ones that get 'touched' (added comment or set spoiler) last, are shown first as far as I've seen.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
New Humble Weekly: The Roguelike Bundle

Regular tier:

Paranautical Activity
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Hack, Slash, Loot

BTA: ($6)
Binding of Issac + Wrath of the Lamb
NEOGAF'S STEAM GOTY TELEGLITCH
Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold

Status