• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 6 million concurrent users.

Bregor

Even as a big fan of the game, it amazes me that Civ 5 is still in the top ten played games on Steam. I would have thought that if any strategy game would be there it would be XCom.

Alex

Bought two 75 percent off games this morning from my cellphone and then remotely installed them all with one click, fuck I love PC gaming.

Even as a big fan of the game, it amazes me that Civ 5 is still in the top ten played games on Steam. I would have thought that if any strategy game would be there it would be XCom.

Xcom was the very top for a little while, but its not exactly a game with long legs after a play or two.

Amazon sales and Workshop added some momentum to that game.

I didn't expect so many people to play a well football.....manager.

It's a pretty fantastic game and pretty damn addicting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0956497179/

We are like sad drug addicts.

PmEtd.jpg

(and keep in mind that is a yearly franchise).

TheExodu5

Banned
The hell happened to Global Offensive!?

They launched it before it was ready for prime-time. I said prior to launch that if they didn't come out with a fully fleshed out product, it would fade into obscurity. Matchmaking and competitive features were sorely lacking at launch. Competitive matchmaking is a lot better now, but the ranking system is still obtuse, and there's no ladder or clan system. The e-sports features are far behind those in Dota 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
i guess i could be possible since it's on consoles as well.

well, may be but I doubt that consoles are a big factor. Is it in Live Top 10?

here it is:

“We talked with them at length and they said that there was no doubt that CS:S had been the bigger game for them. They talked about how Steam stats were often cited by the 1.6 community as being conclusive proof that CS:S hadn’t succeeded but they said that Steam stats were not to necessarily be trusted if you didn’t know how to interpret them properly. The big thing they said that peak players was not the same as a total player pool and, in my opinion, they were intimating that CS:S had more overall players than 1.6 but they spaced out their playing preventing as big “peaks”.

They didn’t really go into a lot further than that but they did say that the reason they had looked to get so much CS:S input was because the game had been so successful for them. In global terms CS:S had been a lot more appealing to a lot more people. 1.6 was primarily played in a few specific geographic locations. Worldwide more countries had a higher concentrations of Source players than 1.6.

Hero

For some reason I always imagined this number would be higher. I guess I should leave my Steam account signed on more often.

How many concurrent users are there for Xbox Live? Are those numbers available at all?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Please tell me you leave it running while you're at work.

I played it for over 24 hours in my first two days of buying it. I've slowed down since then with work and all, but if you were to add together all the hours I've spent playing FM and CM before it since 1999 then I've probably given it at least 6 months of my life.

It's a ridiculously addictive game.

Durante

How many concurrent users are there for Xbox Live? Are those numbers available at all?
I don't know, but I'd assume those numbers aren't much higher, if they are higher at all. 6 million would mean that at any point in time 1 in 9 360s is turned on and connected to live.

Mrbob

Damn, I didn't realize Steam was closing in on 6 million much less surpass it. These special sales are getting everyone sucked in.

Pranay

For some reason I always imagined this number would be higher. I guess I should leave my Steam account signed on more often.

Difficult to say since many users dont need to turn on live to play a game.

It may be higher because of call of duty and halo

I've been logged into Steam for the past, like, five years straight.

I haven't played a game on Steam in 2-3 months.

But then again it's the same deal with PSN and Netflix lol. I have little time for games these days, and now I'm only playing Skyward Sword on Wii (despite having bought a Wii U - I'm so dumb).

Zzoram

Asian Dota 2 will be independent from Steam, apparently.

That doesn't make sense because I thought the whole point of Valve making Dota 2 was to get China to install Steam and then start buying other things when tempted with those <$5 game sales.

That doesn't make sense because I thought the whole point of Valve making Dota 2 was to get China to install Steam and then start buying other things when tempted with those <$5 game sales.
It has to do with really dumb laws where companies have to team up with companies based in China to sell stuff in China. We'll see what happens.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Pretty sure Valve made Dota as a bunch of people working there played, and wanted to make it.

It does when you realize that F2P micro transactions are way more lucrative there..

Nome

That's a really awful article for many reasons, and I'm honestly surprised Valve would use numbers like that. A game's success should be measured in terms of engagement--something Valve likely knows, but didn't emphasize because CSGO and CSS failed miserably in that department. If 1.6 has less total players than CSS or CSGO, but has more concurrent players than either, then that means 1.6 is the more engaging game. It means CSS and CSGO has much higher churn, and is generally less interesting of a game. It shouldn't be any surprise that CSGO has more total players, seeing as how it was heavily advertised, while 1.6 gets zero advertising share nowadays.

I thought so too a few years ago, but that's unlikely to happen now. Valve already chose partners for China and Korea, the two biggest markets. Steam running in China is a no-no, and Nexon has their own client in Korea, so there's likely to be no Steam there. I honestly don't think they thought out their strategy too well.

Pretty sure Valve made Dota as a bunch of people working there played, and wanted to make it.
lol

Top Bottom