• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck has socketed m.2.

GHG

Gold Member
Going to be interesting to see how easy/difficult this is going to be but at least it's possible.

Apparently it's underneath a heatsink though so I don't see the process being very beginner DIY friendly and it will most likely void warranty. Gone for the 512GB version so I don't need to worry about this.

Kenpachii

I think the argument for it not being replaceable for users was something along the line its probably covered in somekind of cooling solution inside that requires you to tear some protection material up.

Not sure if any of that is true tho. but it sounded like its pretty darn hard to get towards it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think the argument for it not being replaceable for users was something along the line its probably covered in somekind of cooling solution inside that requires you to tear some protection material up.

Not sure if any of that is true tho. but it sounded like its pretty darn hard to get towards it.
That’s what the valve engineers themselves said. They said it’s virtually impossible to do it without damaging something because of where it is in the system since it was never intended to be opened.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)
So you can upgrade it at your own risk basically if you know what you are doing.
After launch, you can get basic teardown on youtube easily.
And then you can upgrade it to whatever size you want.

Not bashing OP but he knows jack shit about the steam deck
Like the rest of us..

Not intended for end user replacement can mean a lot of things..

from having to use a heat gun to pry open a glued device maybe damaging the screen.
The windows surface is a bitch to open.

to removing a couple of screws and opening plugging in ssd AND PRESTO.

this thread is pretty pointless until we know more. And the only thing it does now is spread potentially false info.

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)
So you can upgrade it at your own risk basically if you know what you are doing.

Like the rest of us..

from having to use a heat gun to pry open a glued device maybe damaging the screen.

this thread is pretty pointless until we know more. And the only thing it does now is spread potentially false info.
also we don't know how you install different OS. it could be simple as connecting a bootable USB or maybe you need to remove the SSD and do stuff with it on a PC. if my experience of mixing linux (which SteamOS uses) + windows installs together is anything to go by then this isn't something meant to be done by the average user and could easily brick your device.

yes it has a socketed m.2 SSD and we know users aren't meant to replace it. there will be a reason why. best wait until it comes out and people can start figuring it out.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
also we don't know how you install different OS. it could be simple as connecting a bootable USB or maybe you need to remove the SSD and do stuff with it on a PC. if my experience of mixing linux (which SteamOS uses) + windows installs together is anything to go by then this isn't something meant to be done by the average user and could easily brick your device.

yes it has a socketed m.2 SSD and we know users aren't meant to replace it. there will be a reason why. best wait until it comes out and people can start figuring it out.
The reason is probably strict heat profile and battery budgets on the device, changing the m2 will definitely impact those 2 things.

It's also possible that this m2 is a special shape that is near custom.

I love these crystal ball speculation threads with so many experts in technology fighting.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Like the rest of us..

It is a PC you made a bootable USB PenDrive with Windows 10/11 and just boot it on Deck.

Now if you want dual-boot the Windows will put only it for boot so you will have to fix the boot screen to include the SteamOS after install the Windows (maybe even reinstall the SteamOS to rebuild the boot screen).

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Bootable SD card.

pipboy 0001

Background​

The Pip-Boy 1.0 featured a small display screen, a 16-button keyboard, a toggle switch, multiple indicator lights, and a dial with at least three settings. The components that made up the device were attached to a rudimentary metallic frame that surrounded a forearm-length cuff. Protruding cords and the overall bulkiness of the device may have precluded the addition of a protective outer casing as is found on newer Pip-Boy models. An archived photo of technical engineers working on the Pip-Boy 1.0 in the RobCo development laboratory sheds light on the prototype stages.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
That’s what the valve engineers themselves said. They said it’s virtually impossible to do it without damaging something because of where it is in the system since it was never intended to be opened.
They never said this. What's with the fearmongering?

Where did you pull this from? Do you have a direct source? Neither Gabe, nor the 3 design staff who have been actively in the IGN videos (Lawrence, Greg and the other dude who's name I forgot) have said this, especially the underlined.

would external storage work if it was plugged into a dock?

Don't see a reason why it shouldn't.

TrueLegend

would external storage work if it was plugged into a dock?
it has type c. Everything that works on a pc will work. Mouse, Keyboard, USB HUB, Controller, External HHD/SSD, CD ROM, Bluray player, Webcam. You can use different types of docks. Its just an SFF PC with a screen which comes with archlinux fork OS called SteamOS installed which features KDE frontend.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Odd that they wouldn't have it designed so you could upgrade it yourself. The whole "it's a PC" aspect is supposed to mean it is upgradeable

SCB3

Like the rest of us..

Exactly, I'll wait for iFixit to teat it down first, if its easy, I'll do it ( I have the 64gb model pre ordered ) if its hard, SD cards it is

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It is a PC you made a bootable USB PenDrive with Windows 10/11 and just boot it on Deck.

Now if you want dual-boot the Windows will put only it for boot so you will have to fix the boot screen to include the SteamOS after install the Windows (maybe even reinstall the SteamOS to rebuild the boot screen).
Aye also use any usbc dock.. but this kinda defeats the portability option. You can even use the m2 slot to connect an egpu adapter with enough fucking around..

again same problem.. not really handy or portable 😂

Oof, that kinda sucks. How many USB Type-C ports does this thing have? Or at least does it have more than one USB 3.0 or 4.0 (preferably the latter) port? Or maybe that is what the Dock is meant to provide?

It would suck if USH-1 microSD is the only way to expand storage or transfer storage between the internal drive and an external storage device, given the transfer rate limitation. Also has it been mentioned by Valve if there'll be any means of a Smart Delivery-style method for data downloads? Hopefully there will be versions of game releases tailored for the Steam Deck's performance profile.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Oof, that kinda sucks. How many USB Type-C ports does this thing have? Or at least does it have more than one USB 3.0 or 4.0 (preferably the latter) port? Or maybe that is what the Dock is meant to provide?

It would suck if USH-1 microSD is the only way to expand storage or transfer storage between the internal drive and an external storage device, given the transfer rate limitation. Also has it been mentioned by Valve if there'll be any means of a Smart Delivery-style method for data downloads? Hopefully there will be versions of game releases tailored for the Steam Deck's performance profile.
It has 1 USB-C port. Any usb-c dock will work, don't need to wait for valve to release theirs.

No smart delivery because it's just a low powered pc. You can try and set all games to run at Ultra if you want to, so it needs the full pc master race download. If Doom is 75gb on a 3090 ryzen 7 machine, it's 75gb on the deck.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It will probably be like Series S|X consoles with socketed, shielded m.2 2230. The shielding is secured by click-clack mint tin style tabs and the process of replacement would probably be similar.

I ordered the 256GB for my son and I got the 512GB. I could probably replace it easily, but I want to keep the warranty intact, then a year or 2 down the road we'll upgrade. I think most people with the 64GB will be happy with micro sd loading through SteamOS.

Last edited:
It has 1 USB-C port. Any usb-c dock will work, don't need to wait for valve to release theirs.

No smart delivery because it's just a low powered pc. You can try and set all games to run at Ultra if you want to, so it needs the full pc master race download. If Doom is 75gb on a 3090 ryzen 7 machine, it's 75gb on the deck.

Ah cool, thanks for the clarification. I at least hope they will have some preconfigured profile settings for games on Steam Deck; yeah it is a low-powered PC basically, but it is also in a really good position to "consolize" PC gaming for the console gamers who might be interested in this but intimidated (whether rightfully or not) by perceptions of PC complexity for "plug-and-play" gaming.

There are already emulator packages for PC that do this for retro games, and Valve has magnitudes more cash and resources available to them than any of those. I think they can put together something like that for Steam OS on Steam Deck, for the users whom it'd benefit.

It will probably be like Series S|X consoles with socketed, shielded m.2 2230. The shielding is secured by click-clack mint tin style tabs and the process of replacement would probably be similar.

I ordered the 256GB for my son and I got the 512GB. I could probably replace it easily, but I want to keep the warranty intact, then a year or 2 down the road we'll upgrade. I think most people with the 64GB will be happy with micro sd loading through SteamOS.

Maybe we can even use Series S or X internal SSDs for the Steam Deck (in theory)?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Maybe we can even use Series S or X internal SSDs for the Steam Deck (in theory)?
You probably can, but not the other way around. Valve mentioned in one of their videos that using a socketed m.2 slot instead of soldering it to the mb was for repairability, and I'm sure that the reason for MS using it on Series S|X. For 64GB users looking to upgrade at least there will be options as m.2 2230 will still be widely used. We'll see how difficult the upgrade process is.

Top Bottom