• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Jrecard

Well I've finally managed to find a use for my PC since getting the deck, and it's ...drumroll... streaming games to the deck :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Moonlight works really well for in home streaming and I could probably be tricked into thinking I'm playing natively on the deck if I didn't know otherwise. Hogwarts Legacy on high settings beamed from my PC at 60fps in a handheld is pretty glorious. I'm also using an amd card so sunshine replaces the nvidia requirements for streaming. I've known about moonlight previously but honestly can never be assed strapping a controller to my phone which I use all day for work, so much nicer to just have a dedicated device for gaming.

Shame Steam's own remote play feature is not nearly as good as it is integrated nicely into the UI. Just either crashes at launch or looks like a blocky mess most of the time, like a low bitrate yt video. Moonlight nails it.

Also brotato has become a bit of an obsession for me lately. Probably the cheapest 30 hours of gaming I've had in a while and I won't be putting it down any time soon. So much replayability with different characters and builds.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
JSAUX added more transparent backplate colors. I'm tempted to go with the purple or green. Some old-school N64 vibes going on.
transparent_back_plate_for_steam_deck_pc0106_02_c765368a-6351-4e1c-8e97-521fa5b4df04_1600x.jpg

transparent_back_plate_for_steam_deck_pc0106_06_1600x.jpg

*EDIT* Went ahead and ordered the green color.

Last edited:

Resenge

Well I've finally managed to find a use for my PC since getting the deck, and it's ...drumroll... streaming games to the deck :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Moonlight works really well for in home streaming and I could probably be tricked into thinking I'm playing natively on the deck if I didn't know otherwise. Hogwarts Legacy on high settings beamed from my PC at 60fps in a handheld is pretty glorious. I'm also using an amd card so sunshine replaces the nvidia requirements for streaming. I've known about moonlight previously but honestly can never be assed strapping a controller to my phone which I use all day for work, so much nicer to just have a dedicated device for gaming.

Shame Steam's own remote play feature is not nearly as good as it is integrated nicely into the UI. Just either crashes at launch or looks like a blocky mess most of the time, like a low bitrate yt video. Moonlight nails it.

Also brotato has become a bit of an obsession for me lately. Probably the cheapest 30 hours of gaming I've had in a while and I won't be putting it down any time soon. So much replayability with different characters and builds.

Same here. I love the Steam Deck but find it hard to want to play 30 or 40 fps when my pc is close. Streaming was the answer.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
JSAUX added more transparent backplate colors. I'm tempted to go with the purple or green. Some old-school N64 vibes going on.
transparent_back_plate_for_steam_deck_pc0106_02_c765368a-6351-4e1c-8e97-521fa5b4df04_1600x.jpg

transparent_back_plate_for_steam_deck_pc0106_06_1600x.jpg

*EDIT* Went ahead and ordered the green color.

Be sure and post a shot after you get it installed, if you can! I'm probably going to order the purple one.

calistan

Kupfer

If they did a matching front plate I’d be all over that. Transparent consoles need to make a comeback asap. Looks a bit weird having only the back transparent.
IIRC the mainframe, display and frontcase are one unit and it would be very difficult to just swap it.
But you're right, would look awesome and I would be the first one ordering that.

calistan

IIRC the mainframe, display and frontcase are one unit and it would be very difficult to just swap it.
But you're right, would look awesome and I would be the first one ordering that.
Ahh yes, I found an iFixit guide and it seems everything is screwed or glued to that front panel. Shame, really.

Looks like those backplates come with more prominent rear buttons - I find the standard ones are a bit flat, and I hardly ever use them, so maybe it’ll be worth it for that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, the process of replacing the back shell is basically: remove microSD card, remove screws, and pry open.

The faceplate is like 50x more intensive to replace. Don’t get me wrong, if there was a complete shell kit for transparent purple or green I’d be all over it. I don’t know if the demand is quite there. Maybe Jsaux can do a poll and see if there’s enough demand for a small batch. The backplate was $30, I’d be willing to pay $50-60 for a matching frontplate.

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone here want a free copy of Baba is You?

I can put it up on the giveaways section but would rather give it to someone who posts in this thread.

First person who has previously participated in this thread and replies to this post gets it. If nobody claims it in 48h then I'll throw it in giveaways.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone here want a free copy of Baba is You?

I can put it up on the giveaways section but would rather give it to someone who posts in this thread.

First person who has previously participated in this thread and replies to this post gets it. If nobody claims it in 48h then I'll throw it in giveaways.
I’ll take it :messenger_beaming:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got sucked into Baba. Great puzzle game so far. I’ve already got one that has me scratching my head. The one before it took me an honest 20 mins or so before I realized what the solution was. I love the game so far.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
$15 for some Deck games over at Humble Bundle.
Main game is Control UE, which looks to have been on sale for about half that previously. The rest seem decent enough. I will probably pick this one up for myself.

Kupfer

Main game is Control UE, which looks to have been on sale for about half that previously. The rest seem decent enough. I will probably pick this one up for myself.
Oh cool, this morning I saw that Sable is on sale for just under 12€ wanted to buy it, but for 14€ I prefer to take the humble bundle!
Thank you!

Kupfer

I had looked into it before. The streaming using Steam Link app seems to do the trick well enough that I'm satisfied until Valve implements something native.
I don't know if we're talking past each other or if I'm misunderstanding something, but the plugin is a recorder to record your gameplay without having to switch between apps or use desktop mode. I had in mind that you were looking for such a possibility

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't know if we're talking past each other or if I'm misunderstanding something, but the plugin is a recorder to record your gameplay without having to switch between apps or use desktop mode. I had in mind that you were looking for such a possibility
So what I do now is on my desktop PC, I launch the steam link app and use OBS to record the gameplay from there. The native methods on the Deck itself always seem to impact performance. The SL app does not have that issue.

Here's a few examples:

Shakka43

Anyone has experience traveling outside the US with a Steam Deck? Is it possible to download games from my library while staying on another country?

SCB3

I can't speak for Batora or Sable, but thats a pretty fucking decent bundle imo

Kupfer

Although the game is marked as "unsupported", I played it today from start to finish without any problems.

There are 2 or 3 levels where the framerate drops below 40, but stays in the thirties.

A great game, a mix of marble run, skimming stones over water and space travel.

40% off right now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone else see that GAF was down, then immediately reach for their Steam Deck? Or was it just me?

I played the first chapter of The Walking Dead (Definitive Edition). Worked beautifully. Man, what a great game.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I ordered the teal/green translucent backplate for the Deck, and I was curious about whether anybody offers, or will offer a full housing replacement. Via Reddit, via Youtube:
dbuxnw7sxkca1.png

Good shit. Hopefully they'll offer Atomic Purple and Teal/Green in the same colors JSAUX is offering with their backplates. I think I prefer JSAUX's translucent purple to extremerate's atomic purple, but I'd still be game even in that style...
JSAUX:

ExtremeRate:
QM505-_1.jpg

Jrecard

With another infamous steam sale coming up, does anybody else have a shortlist of stuff you want to pick up? My wishlist is long, but have narrowed it down to these few as long as the prices are right:

Dead Space 2 (playing through the og right now)
Bully
Slay the Spire
Cult of the Lamb

Maybe:
Persona 5R

Those along with my current backlog takes me through to the next seasonal sale and then some.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
With another infamous steam sale coming up, does anybody else have a shortlist of stuff you want to pick up? My wishlist is long, but have narrowed it down to these few as long as the prices are right:

Dead Space 2 (playing through the og right now)
Bully
Slay the Spire
Cult of the Lamb

Maybe:
Persona 5R

Those along with my current backlog takes me through to the next seasonal sale and then some.

For me it's pretty much every ps3 and xbox 360 game I missed that happened to be ported to PC, so I always watch these sales like a hawk.

I'll say from experience: Slay the Spire and Cult of the Lamb both play real well on the deck, but I had to manually map a key or two for Cult'

Anyone here use gamepass a lot on this? Curious as I hear that eventually people stop fussin with windows and just let it be a steampad

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Anyone here use gamepass a lot on this? Curious as I hear that eventually people stop fussin with windows and just let it be a steampad
I've been dual-booting SteamOS+Win10 since around June 2022. Great way to access GP and EGS. Dual-booting offers you the best of both worlds. I find shit generally "just works" on Windows, while SteamOS tends to require tinkering(i.e.-RE4 Remake). There's advantages to SteamOS, since it's officially supported in a way that Valve, understandably, doesn't want to support Windows. Namely the performance menu and full Deck controller support. Windows has Steam Deck Tools, but there is some level of risk using it.

I still use the original dual-boot method, so when I power on it boots straight into Win10. SWICD runs on startup, and I have Xbox(Game Pass PC) pinned to the taskbar. I click the icon, it opens, and I select a game from my library and play it. Buying all the GP PC games for Steam when I have GP Ultimate seems silly.

Mr Branding

With another infamous steam sale coming up, does anybody else have a shortlist of stuff you want to pick up?
Huge wishlist and sizeable backlog but am still hoping for good discounts on:
Tunic
Fallout 3 or 4 (never played them)
Just Cause 3
Soulstice
El shaddai
Cyberpunk

JCK75

I want to, but for now I've not bothered.. it seems it would be in Microsofts interests to release a windows executable version of the gamepass/xbox app that uses executable installers like they offer on steam so that steam deck users can install it and make use of their services.

GHG

Gold Member
$9.99 USD, never played this one

onenFo5.jpg

Just dodged a bunch of zombies, feeling cute.

PDlf9Ys.jpg

Edit: audio is pretty nice over Air Pods

Edit 2: wow this game is really good

RE2 remake is possibly the greatest remake of all time.

Anyway, games that have updated status this week:

Also a few fanatical bundles (the first one is worth it for pathologic 2 alone) :

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-triple-pack

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

Last edited:

SCB3

So I've been checking out the following:

Vampire Survivors
Valhiem
Factorio

All play amazing and so so perfect for pick and play games, Factorio is a interesting one with its controls, but the touch screen works well for this and I'm a complete amateur, I kinda wanna check out stuff like Cities Skyline, Stellaris was ok but I more than prefer a mouse and a larger screen for that kinda game

Keen to see how the Last of Us Part 1 runs, I own the PS5 version and not buying unless on a massive sale, but kinda interested after how well I got RE4 REmakes Demo running and WWE 2k23 is running great (again a console game for me, I owned the PC version of 2k22 and it was almost perfect after installing Cryoutilities)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Has anyone got any experience replacing a stick on a Deck? My son dropped it on the floor and the right stick is now stuck in a « down » position and I can’t put it back.

I would rather fix it using the Ifixit stick but I don’t know how difficult it is (looking at the guide it seems doable). I know how to use a screwdriver to assemble a PC but never opened this kind of handheld.

I would prefer not to send it for repair as in my experience anything you send for repair tends to come back with scratches and other damage.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I would rather fix it using the Ifixit stick but I don’t know how difficult it is (looking at the guide it seems doable). I know how to use a screwdriver to assemble a PC but never opened this kind of handheld.
Pretty much doable

If you built a PC before and stick to the guide I guess it'll be no problem for you.

I would argue that you don't even need to disconnect the battery for this, as long as the Deck is completely shut down and you are careful not to turn it on during the repair or short connections.
But of course it is better to disconnect the battery so nothing can happen.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Steam sale starts tomorrow. What's everyone on the lookout for in term of games to play on the steam deck? These are mine:

• Slay the spire
  • Tetris Effect (already own this on the epic store but no thanks, I'm not installing that on my Deck)
  • Warm Snow

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam sale starts tomorrow. What's everyone on the lookout for in term of games to play on the steam deck?
Hoping for nice discounts on Brotato (it's only $5, I'll probably buy it anyway even if it's not discounted), Star Ocean The Divine Force, Last Epoch (just got multiplayer), maybe Forspoken if it's cheap enough.

I might triple-dip on Hades, just to make it easier to play on the Deck. I have it on Xbox and Switch already, but I'd like to do a third playthrough before the sequel comes out and the Deck looks like it runs the game nicely.

Would also like to check out that Dave the Diver game that Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage keeps going on about.

Finally, I'll probably pick up a few things I'm either forgetting to mention here, or stuff that catches my eye on an insane discount.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Not sure here. The only game right now on my wishlist that's out and interesting to me is Rollerdrome. I've got quite a backlog going so I might sit most of the sale out.

Top Bottom