• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck owners: How do you decide what to play on Steam Deck versus on PC?

kiphalfton

My main thing is not knowing what games I should play on PC vs Steam Deck.

I don't don't use keyboard/mouse ever (even in fps games), so don't really care about that. Everything I play is single player, mostly linear (i.e. non-oprn world stuff).

I have a modest PC (at this point) that has an RTX 3080 and 5900X, that is capable of playing pretty much everything at decent settings on my ultrawide 1440p monitor.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Basically no FPS for the most part. Nothing that requires large maps with small text (lots of strategy games fall here without proper UI scaling).

If I can stream it with better quality from my main PC, I might do that (God of War and such).

If it's indie, older games (especially turned based) or generally slower paced games, Steam Deck is great for it (for me). And emulation of course.

Most Emulation on Steam Deck, if it‘s a game with small texts (and unfortunately most new games are) I prefer it on PC.

Fredrik

I just continue playing the games I was playing on the PC, usually use it in bed but sometimes also in the living room couch, it’s my comfy gaming PC. 99% of my Steam Deck time has gone to Elden Ring so far.

Griffon

Shooters and strategy (better on KB/M) are to be played on desktop PC.

Everything else is Deck.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Steam Deck is my gaming PC (I have a 2017 MacBook Pro which I do have Windows 10 installed on)

if the Deck can’t run a game solidly I’ll likely get it for my PS5 instead

Ribi

If it's easy pick up and play that doesn't require an internet connection then it's on the deck.

Unless it's fallguys

Last edited:

Filben

How? Just what's most comfortable to you.

Without knowing you personally this should be rather simple: big and flashy AAA titles that benefit from your GPU (Ray tracing, high res and all) on PC. Smaller games and indie games on the Deck.

And of course if you're off for a few days somewhere you don't carry your PC to.

Everytime I go visit a friend or my parents for a few days I take the Deck with me.

It's also okay to let it 'collect dust' if you prefer to play on your PC. Both devices have their purpose that you should know about.

I also own a PS5 and have three choices therefore. But even that's simple: trash PC port = PS5. 100% DualSense support on PS5 but not on PC = PS5.

I also have a library over 100 games I'd like to play on the Deck so I don't need to add more just for the sake of being able to play them on the go.

Just follow the comfort, my friend. There's no need to chose one platform over another by default or just by loyality which has only corporations as main benefactor.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned

I don't don't use keyboard/mouse ever (even in fps games), so don't really care about that. Everything I play is single player, mostly linear (i.e. non-oprn world stuff).

I have a modest PC (at this point) that has an RTX 3080 and 5900X, that is capable of playing pretty much everything at decent settings on my ultrawide 1440p monitor.
In terms of controls and display scaling?
I don't have a deck but based on using a similar setup (controller + steam link + tablet), I'd assume:

Great to average experience on deck would be
- Racing games
- Sports Games
- Turn based Strategy
- Side scrollers
- some isometric crpgs (ones with voiced dialogue or good text scaling)
- some 3rd person action adventure games (elden ring, tomb raider, uncharted, god of war, etc)
- most survival games (ark, valheim, minecraft, subnautica, etc)
- Visual novels/fmvs
- Puzzle games
- Almost anything emulated from older consoles since they were usually designed around console controllers/display scaling anyway

Average to crap on deck:
- Most first person shooters
- City builders/Colony management/4x games (mostly because of the small display)
- Rts games (you probably don't play them since you don't use kbm)

Again, I dont own a deck, so take foem that what you will but, honestly, you should probably just try them out and see what works

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i like handhelds and compact tech.
i played forza horizon 3 on an intel nuc a mini pc the size of an orange when i own a rtx 3080

GametimeUK

I don't think about it too much in a sense of what game should I play on each system. I treat my Steam Deck kind of like a Nintendo Switch. The thing that comes to my mind is "do I feel like playing on the big screen right now or kicking back relaxing with the Deck?"

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Whatever I’m in the mood for. Sometimes it even depends on the situation in the game: when running through Persona 5, I was generally playing it on Deck, especially during the long in-between dungeon sequences, but a lot of times when I knew I was in for a long dungeon crawl I’d switch to my big TV running from my desktop. It’s not quite as convenient as dropping a Switch in its TV dock (unless you’re docking your Deck), but Steam cloud saves make it almost as seamless. Just be careful to exit the game and let the saves synch before you load it on the other machine or you may overwrite progress.

Also the wife and I recently had two 9 hour drives in 3 days where we were passengers in my sister’s car, which has a 120V AC outlet in the back. Pretty nice to get completely engrossed in some games on the Deck without any distractions, like stuff to do around the house or kids interrupting or work emails or whatever. Beat Hades a few times finally, made progress in Elden Ring, do recommend said isolation for some quality gaming time even on a handheld

I just assumed Deck owners used that to finish where they left off during their PC sessions. And LOL @ "Modest PC" A fuckin' 3080 and 5900x. I'm scared to think what my 5800X3D and 6800 XT is then. Got a chuckle outta that, homie.
well that cpu and gpu is old now. if you aren't running a 13900KS/7950X3D with a 4080/4090 then what's the fucking point?? /s

Last edited:

JCK75

For most of the year I've been battling pelvic floor muscle issues, constant pain and it's really bad for me sitting in a computer chair and since I'm an IT guy and have two most of the day.. I just don't want to push my luck when I get home so the steam deck on the couch is almost always my choice lately.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I make sure there are a nice control layout that does not feel out of place. I also try playing games that require low wattage/ 60 fps. Recently I've installed FF14 and Guild Wars 2. FF14 have the better default controller layout but Guild Wars 2 is really fun to discover. Both do very well at low wattage, between 10 to 14 for maintaining 60fps.

PC I'll play stuff I know it wouldn't do very well on the deck like Valorant or Overwatch 2. Games that require skills and precision.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I usually play the smaller indie games and older PC titles in my Deck. Essentially anything that I can get 40-60fps in.

I’ve tried some of the bigger games on my Deck, and they’re fine. But I enjoy those more on my main PC.

But this is just me.

Topher

Gold Member
I like to play specific games on my Deck. Right now I'm playing Great Ace Attorney. Perfect type of game for a handheld. Also, JRPGs like Trails of Cold Steel.

Do I want to sit on the couch or otherwise be away from my desk? Then Deck.
Same, assuming the Deck can handle the game in question.

What I've also noticed is that where before I might have tolerated publisher custom launchers (uPlay, Origin etc), I now can't abide them, that and inconsistent controller support. Just this weekend, I installed Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Deck uses a linux binary, which has a custom home screen with... no controller support that I can tell), and then Mass Effect Legendary, which has an in-game landing screen to choose which controller enabled game you want to play which... has no controller support. That's maddening.

Like others have said, I too am inclined to play FPS games on the PC, with the mouse, but that's always been a preference.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
If I'm traveling: Steam Deck

If I'm home: Desktop PC

Thinking about selling my Steam Deck, since I'm not on the road too often, but it's been great for the times I have been.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
And LOL @ "Modest PC" A fuckin' 3080 and 5900x. I'm scared to think what my 5800X3D and 6800 XT is then. Got a chuckle outta that, homie.
Trying to stay humble... Well that and I didn't want the 4090 and i9-13900K bros coming in and shitting in my cereal.

I'll sometimes play Steam Deck when I'm in my bedroom (pic related). It's nothing fancy; I just find I sleep better in a quaint environment.
9fglJHm.jpg

DocEbok

Same, assuming the Deck can handle the game in question.

What I've also noticed is that where before I might have tolerated publisher custom launchers (uPlay, Origin etc), I now can't abide them, that and inconsistent controller support. Just this weekend, I installed Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Deck uses a linux binary, which has a custom home screen with... no controller support that I can tell), and then Mass Effect Legendary, which has an in-game landing screen to choose which controller enabled game you want to play which... has no controller support. That's maddening.

Like others have said, I too am inclined to play FPS games on the PC, with the mouse, but that's always been a preference.

I use steam link/moonlight then deck can play anything :) (also for fps I only use pc for that)

Last edited:

GHG

The steam deck is mostly for smaller titles, Indies and older games designed with controllers in mind. Also emulators for certain games.

Everything else I'll just use the PC. Some games are simply more suited to a bigger screen and need more power in order to be enjoyed.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Don't have a PC but play bigger AAA games on my XSX or PS5. Use the SD for my library of older games or new indie games, early access games and PC-only games.

kiphalfton

I usually play the smaller indie games and older PC titles in my Deck. Essentially anything that I can get 40-60fps in.

I’ve tried some of the bigger games on my Deck, and they’re fine. But I enjoy those more on my main PC.

But this is just me.

Yeah that's what I figured I'd use the deck for as well, is older stuff; that isn't so old that it doesn't have controller support, but stuff that is supported. Or stuff that would like like crap on a bigger screen (i.e. stuff from PS3/Xbox 360 era).

Rush2112

Banned
better yet, hey steam deck owners, how are you enjoying playing TLOU on your steam decks, huh? 10 fps is where true survival horror starts amirite?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I work in IT. I love what I do for a living, but turning on my own computer sounds awful. I need an unorthodox device to turn on. As strange as that sounds.

Crayon

And LOL @ "Modest PC" A fuckin' 3080 and 5900x. I'm scared to think what my 5800X3D and 6800 XT is then. Got a chuckle outta that, homie.

Trying to stay humble... Well that and I didn't want the 4090 and i9-13900K bros coming in and shitting in my cereal.

ot but this is a problem in the pc community. We want to say you can build a budget pc out one side the mouth and then call it trash tier out the other side. Makes me sad.

GreatnessRD

ot but this is a problem in the pc community. We want to say you can build a budget pc out one side the mouth and then call it trash tier out the other side. Makes me sad.
PC gamers are weird like dat. Just wish more folks take pride in their setups. Whether it has a RTX 3050 or a RX 7900 XTX, if you're happy, that's all that matters. Imo

StereoVsn

Good thing now days is that even a modest PC (with a decent CPU) and a mid-level 3060-3070 or 6700xt (or upcoming 4060) can run games pretty well upscaling to 1440p.

Storage, even faster PCIE is cheap, RAM is inexpensive (especially DDR4), last gen 5000 series AMD plus mid level board isn't bad either. Reason I recommend stronger CPU is that DLSS/FSR can take a bit of a hit on that.

GPU is the one remaining piece but you can get 6700xt or rtx3060 through 3070 for not so crazy prices especially if willing to go used or "return" at BestBuy/MicroCenter/Amazon.

Don't have to run everything at "Ultra". Medium settings (judiciously tweaked up at some places) plus upscaling works wonder now days. Yes, GPU prices are nuts at higher end and arguably stuff like 4070, 4070ti , 4080 and 7900xt shouldn't even BE higher end, but it is what it is.

Bigger issue is frankly shit state of AAA PC ports lately.

Crayon

Good thing now days is that even a modest PC (with a decent CPU) and a mid-level 3060-3070 or 6700xt (or upcoming 4060) can run games pretty well upscaling to 1440p.

Storage, even faster PCIE is cheap, RAM is inexpensive (especially DDR4), last gen 5000 series AMD plus mid level board isn't bad either. Reason I recommend stronger CPU is that DLSS/FSR can take a bit of a hit on that.

GPU is the one remaining piece but you can get 6700xt or rtx3060 through 3070 for not so crazy prices especially if willing to go used or "return" at BestBuy/MicroCenter/Amazon.

Don't have to run everything at "Ultra". Medium settings (judiciously tweaked up at some places) plus upscaling works wonder now days. Yes, GPU prices are nuts at higher end and arguably stuff like 4070, 4070ti , 4080 and 7900xt shouldn't even BE higher end, but it is what it is.

Bigger issue is frankly shit state of AAA PC ports lately.

All that is correct. In My Opinion. But then there is a pressure to call your $800 4070ti "mid tier" or your 3090 "decent" or whatever so they don't get hassled by dick-waggers. This happens in lots of bro spaces. In fighting games, a person less invested but practicing, plays against someone who does 20 hours a week and gets washed. But that winning player is loathe to say they are "good". Seriously the fucking word "good" is considered an unthinkable brag if used on yourself. This happens in cars, where nobody wants to say their car is fast because they don't want to offend bros with faster cars.

This puts off people looking to get into something. It distorts the understanding of how invested you have to be in something for it to even be worth trying. I'm not even sure I am making myself clear but this is the best I can do at the moment. And on top of that, i can't say I know the actual extent of the problem. It's something I often find myself thinking about though.

Last edited:

Killer8

I play a lot of PS360 era games on the Deck. Nothing really beats playing some Dead Rising tucked up before bed.

kiphalfton

All that is correct. In My Opinion. But then there is a pressure to call your $800 4070ti "mid tier" or your 3090 "decent" or whatever so they don't get hassled by dick-waggers. This happens in lots of bro spaces. In fighting games, a person less invested but practicing, plays against someone who does 20 hours a week and gets washed. But that winning player is loathe to say they are "good". Seriously the fucking word "good" is considered an unthinkable brag if used on yourself. This happens in cars, where nobody wants to say their car is fast because they don't want to offend bros with faster cars.

This puts off people looking to get into something. It distorts the understanding of how invested you have to be in something for it to even be worth trying. I'm not even sure I am making myself. And on top of that, i can't say I know the actual extent of the problem. It's something I often find myself thinking about though.

In wouldn't say it's about "offending" somebody with something better (or for that matter even necessarily conceding), so much as I don't want to hear somebody with top-tier specs come in here and go off on how I need to check my ego.

I have a coworker who is always one up'ing other people. Say something about a particular hobby, he says he's better. Say something about food, he says it's crap. Say something about a possession (car, electronics, etc.), he says his is better. It gets fucking old, and so every little comment has to come with a disclaimer like "I know [insert name personal possession or skill at something] isn't the best, but..." so he or other people like him don't feel like they got a cue to jump into the conversation and make it about themselves. Probably a futile effort, but it's with the intent to keep those type of people's comments to a minimum.

However, you bring up a valid point that if there's myself, the one upper, and somebody else who is listening who has lesser skill or not as nice possessions, you're right that it may put them off (or offend them).

So you're either trying to mitigate stupid comments from one uppers, or potentially offending somebody else. Unfortunately there's no real winning, but that's pretty much the case with everything in life. It's a zero sum game. Somebody may be winning, but the other person may be "losing" (I put emphasis on that, as it's not necessarily losing, so much as everybody can't be rockstars; having the best of the best stuff or be the best at what they do).

Last edited:
Top Bottom