• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Nzyme32

It will be interesting to see how much further it goes up this month, there are multiple popular new releases just about every week.

Yeah this month should be awesome - Wolfenstein 2 TNC, South Park TFBW, Assassin's Creed etc etc

How did South Park not get a slot in the OT - or rather why was I too lazy to post a blurb for it!?

yuraya

Yeah this month should be awesome - Wolfenstein 2 TNC, South Park TFBW, Assassin's Creed etc etc

Imagine if Destiny 2 actually came out on Steam. and same time as consoles.

Would probably be at 17 million concurrent now.

Devs not releasing those type of GaaS games on Steam these days are missing out on a lot of money with this large userbase. I wonder how much they regret these type of decisions.

Or Rockstar not announcing RDR2 for PC when Steam probably has twice as much monthly active users as Xbox one at this point. A lot of dumb decisions by some of these publishers.

Devs not releasing those type of GaaS games on Steam these days are missing out on a lot of money with this large userbase. I wonder how much they regret these type of decisions.

Or Rockstar not announcing RDR2 for PC when Steam probably has twice as much monthly active users as Xbox one at this point. A lot of dumb decisions by some of these publishers.

Well Rockstar is almost certainly delaying the PC version so they can have people double dip and then next generation do a rerelease on next gen consoles, I mean GTAV is like the highest selling game of all time because of that very tactic. They won't ignore that kind of money so this is the way it's going to be for all their big games going forward.

yuraya

Well Rockstar is almost certainly delaying the PC version so they can have people double dip and then next generation do a rerelease on next gen consoles, I mean GTAV is like the highest selling game of all time because of that very tactic. They won't ignore that kind of money so this is the way it's going to be for all their big games going forward.

Gonna be interesting to see how well RDR2 sells overall. The first did 15 when last gen was basically at its peak. The series is nowhere near as popular as GTA so it won't see anything close to those type of numbers. And outside of Destiny there hasn't been anything too over the top in terms of software sales and launches this gen for consoles.

Pachimari

Not buying any games this month either, but that's more because I have to save up. No doubt The Evil Within II and Wolfenstein II are gonna be some heavy-fire games!

Thanks for the new thread Mr. Orange once again.

Also, thanks to Ucchedavāda for the giveaway of Danganronpa V3. It seems to have been way more than a year since I last won something huge from a giveaway, so I appreciate the fact. Danganronpa is my new game of the month! =)

Ucchedavāda;250570334 said:
Congratulations to Pachimari for winning Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony!
Remember that you will have to send me a friend-request on Steam (profile) in order to receive the game.
Thank you! I already have you on my friendlist, so I'll hit you up in the chat. [edit] Oh, I see you already sent it to me. I only just woke up on this Sunday lol.

PS: Is this where I need to download the latest Rivatuner for the Windows 10 creators update?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Just beat a do-everything-I-can-manage first run of Prey, going for every side objective, every achievement, delved into every nook and cranny. Clocked at 43 hours. Lots of save scumming.

I'm surprised at how reactive the game was to the things I did as I played, and how it parsed them in the ending in a way that really encourages you to play through again in a totally different style and mind set.

It's a real interesting game, but looking at the achievement stats it doesn't look like a lot of folks really stick with it for long which is a real shame. I imagine the reasons will be varied; too scary, too hard at the beginning, not weird enough, not enough plot or scripted scenes.

If I had to lay one fairly major criticism against it, it's that the art direction isn't that memorable or cohesive. Especially compared to similar titles like the Bioshock games or Alien: Isolation. Those have a really strong, recognizable aesthetic that I'd say Prey lacks. It has the occasional weirdly art deco statue here and there (Why is there that one dedicated to your father basically crammed into the ceiling of the hardware labs?) but it doesn't commit in a way that makes me think people will be able to look at a screenshot of it a decade from now and go "That's Prey!" It needed a more iconic look and gimmick to stand out more. That might be more a marketing lament on my part at this point though. Here's some of the concept art for consideration.

I'm sad the leader designer has apparently retired in some capacity, but this is also a pretty strong title to go out on. Perhaps he'll be back when his son is good and raised. In any case, if you've picked it up and haven't beaten it; go beat it. Put some neuromods into mobility and run on through it. See the ending.

Just beat a do-everything-I-can-manage first run of Prey, going for every side objective, every achievement, delved into every nook and cranny. Clocked at 43 hours. Lots of save scumming.

I'm surprised at how reactive the game was to the things I did as I played, and how it parsed them in the ending in a way that really encourages you to play through again in a totally different style and mind set.

It's a real interesting game, but looking at the achievement stats it doesn't look like a lot of folks really stick with it for long which is a real shame. I imagine the reasons will be varied; too scary, too hard at the beginning, not weird enough, not enough plot or scripted scenes.

If I had to lay one fairly major criticism against it, it's that the art direction isn't that memorable or cohesive. Especially compared to similar titles like the Bioshock games or Alien: Isolation. Those have a really strong, recognizable aesthetic that I'd say Prey lacks. It has the occasional weirdly art deco statue here and there (Why is there that one dedicated to your father basically crammed into the ceiling of the hardware labs?) but it doesn't commit in a way that makes me think people will be able to look at a screenshot of it a decade from now and go "That's Prey!" It needed a more iconic look and gimmick to stand out more. That might be more a marketing lament on my part at this point though. Here's some of the concept art for consideration.

I'm sad the leader designer has apparently retired in some capacity, but this is also a pretty strong title to go out on. Perhaps he'll be back when his son is good and raised. In any case, if you've picked it up and haven't beaten it; go beat it. Put some neuromods into mobility and run on through it. See the ending.

Everything you hear about Prey makes it sound awesome, but then you look at a trailer for the game, and feel "meh". A free weekend for the game would have been nice.

OST is really awesome though.

AHA-Lambda

Aggh! That feeling when you buy a game and realise it isn't a Steam copy >_<

(shouldn't complain too much, got a copy of Minecraftt Story S2 for free thanks to an Amazon/AmEx offer I had)

PS: jesus I can't believe it's october! Where has this year gone?!?

xist

I think this should work, I tried to activate it a while back before realising I already had the game so the key has just been sitting there in it's revealed state

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xist, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Year Walk -- MB-3A4B44DF6DBEF5CD - Taken by Dessart. 2 entrants total.

t1506876048z1.png

Jawmuncher

Cuphead is pretty good so far. Only thing is I wish you could hold LT on the controller so you were always shooting in one direction, even when moving around and dodging.

This made me go look at the store page and holy shit the review bombing:

zLLPYXF.png

Is it review bombing or is the game suffering heavily from issues? Cause I read it was having really bad connection issues on some gaming journalism site and some of the negative reviews are complaining about being banned for killing streamers.

Devs can and will ban you for LOOKING at a Streamer the wrong way during a Game.

You don't even have to watch their stream, you will be banned instantly for daring to challenge the streamers.

And they will literally give you the finger when you try to get unbanned, its g8

I've been hearing about this for a while. The devs don't give a fuck about bans and throw them around liberally because their playerbase is so huge they don't care.

edit:
Oh, and apparently they added in game advertisements lolol

edit2:

Most negative reviews in these days were given by Chinese players. PUBG published an in-game advertisement of a third-party gaming VPN for them. This is the first time I saw an third-party advertisement in a ”Non-F2P" game.

Of cause this is not the worst part. The worst part is, after the new patch update, most of Chinese players cannot connect to the server like before. Renting that gaming VPN seems to be the only choice for them to play this game.

ouch

MUnited83

For you.
Is it review bombing or is the game suffering heavily from issues? Cause I read it was having really bad connection issues on some gaming journalism site and some of the negative reviews are complaining about being banned for killing streamers.

I've been hearing about this for a while. The devs don't give a fuck about bans and throw them around liberally because their playerbase is so huge they don't care.

edit:

Bans are not thrown liberally at all. There's just a bunch of of gamergate-type shitheads that continously make up bullshit.
The actual recent issue is VPN advertising to Chinese players.

oni-link

I've got a lot of time off this month so time to blow though a good few games

How is it October already?

Time is moving at warp speed

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone tell me how the crossplay on rocket league works?

Do I just invite my friend who is playing on PS4?

bbd23

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/roadmap-after-autumn-update/

rocket league said:
we will also be testing a new Party System that we’re building directly into Rocket League. When finished, this new system will allow you to party up directly via PsyNet instead of the party systems currently used through Steam, Xbox Live, or the PlayStation Network. Our first test(s), however, will be limited to Steam players.

Once your account is flagged for the new Party system, your game will automatically sync with your Steam Friends List information and allow you to create a party via PsyNet. You’ll still use the 'Create Party' button as you normally would, but instead of seeing a Party invite in Steam, you’ll see new in-game notifications alerting you to a Party invite.

While the PsyNet Party System is Steam-only, this is the first step in enabling the possibility of supporting cross-platform parties at a later date. We’ll have more information about the new Party System once we’re closer to launch.

hopefully its ready when the switch version comes out

zkylon

zkylewd
There's a demo!

yeah, and the demo is quite great

it's just kind of misleading cos the game after the demo isn't very good and the demo just sets up your expectations quite high

to compare it further to bioshock, i feel like the bioshock demo was incredible but then the rest of the game really matched it

here the rest of the game loses a lot of steam really quick

When looking at Steam stats, I think I'm actually more impressed with Empire: Total War, then PUBG.

It was launched in 2009 with issues regarding AI, naval combat and loading times, have had 6 new games release in the Total War series since it's release - but still have over 4000 concurrent players.

That's really impressive.

Nzyme32

edit:

edit2:

ouch

Yeah kind of all of the above and lots of china specific issues. Bit messy since most games going to China from the west need a publisher and they do there own things, whether that is good or bad for the game itself.

Bans are not thrown liberally at all. There's just a bunch of of gamergate-type shitheads that continously make up bullshit.
The actual recent issue is VPN advertising to Chinese players.

Huh. I had heard the Party over there was cracking down on VPNs ahead of some huge conference they were doing (plus the usual China Don't Care authoritarianism).

I wonder what's the story here.

Ludens

Banned
So, I managed to complete four games this week-end, all very short:

-HeadLander. Started it some months ago when it was bundled, I cleared half the game and stopped for some reasons. Today I booted it, my saves were gone but I figured out it was due to a bug which saves the game in another folder if your connection drops, so I just put that save back in the original folder and I could continue. Very interesting game, maybe one of the best of the "new" DoubleFine (the one focusing on little projects like Stalking, not the DF which used to do "big" games like Psychonauts or Brutal Legend) game, fast-paced, never boring, amazing art, interesting plot.
-Samorost. I started it on monday or something like that. Much better than Samorost 2, there are a lot of secrets/achievement but sadly most of them just require to solve the same puzzle multiple times. Nice if you love to think a bit (but not too much) and if you like the art, it's unique.
-Tiny Echo. A 40 minutes point and click game, there are some easy puzzles, the art is again quite good. The only bad thing is the movements are just too slow, and you can't double-click to leave the screen. Since it was bundled, I can't complain too much, it's a little experiment but honestly I wouldn't suggest it for 8€.
-Mini-Ghost. A little surprise. I played the Normal mode, the game is quite easy and it's again very short (you can 100% normal mode in one hour or so). The game was good, except for the very final area with a section filled with respawning enemies, jumps and of course lava under you. That was frustrating, expecially because I managed to clear it the first time with no problem just to discover I needed an upgrade hidden in a secret room to proceed. The second time I tried maybe 15 times to pass the area.

Ladekabel

You wouldn't get in trouble for using a VPN to activate, download and play the game, for what it's worth. It's using a VPN on the Steam Store itself that Valve takes issue with.

I'll look into it. Maybe I'll wait the 90 days, maybe I'll use a VPN, maybe the game gets delayed. Thanks.

Wait when tancent will remove the game from steam

Steam is dead. Long live WeGame!

Anteater

Cuphead is pretty good so far. Only thing is I wish you could hold LT on the controller so you were always shooting in one direction, even when moving around and dodging.

yah honestly i'm fighting with the controls so far, i remapped dodge to LB and even then the difficult part of the game is still mostly the controls for me

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
those review bombs for PUBG mention a lot of "stream sniping bans". What exactly happens when you get banned in PUBG, are you banned from a particular server, or from the actual game?

I assume its not the later as I dont even see how that would be legal, certainly not for "stream sniping" which is unprovable.

Nzyme32

Also I think its really cool that a non-Valve, non-established publisher game is beating everything else. Hopefully there are more to come

MUnited83

For you.
those review bombs for PUBG mention a lot of "stream sniping bans". What exactly happens when you get banned in PUBG, are you banned from a particular server, or from the actual game?

I assume its not the later as I dont even see how that would be legal, certainly not for "stream sniping" which is unprovable.

You get banned from actual game, for one week.
It's certainly legal, as well as provable too. No fucking person will ever do the actions you need to do to be banned without actually being stream sniping.

Mivey

yeah, and the demo is quite great

it's just kind of misleading cos the game after the demo isn't very good and the demo just sets up your expectations quite high

to compare it further to bioshock, i feel like the bioshock demo was incredible but then the rest of the game really matched it

here the rest of the game loses a lot of steam really quick
I am about half-way through, and it never loses steam, as far as I am concerned. Great game! The fact that it isn't literally for everyone, and not trying to please every kind of player just makes that clearer.
I have seen you write about BioShock a few times (in the context of Prey), and that so misses the mark. This isn't that kind game, it's clearly trying to be an immersive sim, in the vein of System Shock. Very, very different things.

Battlechili

Banned

edit:

edit2:

ouch
Not just all that. A lot of people are also upset at the developer's consideration of doing a lawsuit against Fortnight for also doing a Battle Royale mode, and the way the developer has spoken in the past, he's said things like the idea that people need to license his game mode, which alongside other statements implies that he thinks that he invented a new genre and owns the rights to video game mechanics

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why do you think it's unprovable?

how do you prove that anyone is stream sniping, aka watching a stream and using that as info (I guess thats what it is?). People could have different names on Twitch (in fact most people do?) and shit.

Top Bottom