• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Battlechili

Banned
https://www.pcgamesn.com/transformers-devastation/activision-transformers-korra-delisted-steam

RIP Transformers Devastation
Was actually a pretty good game from what I've heard
Worse than ever.
I actually think its pretty all right this year. So many great games came out this year so having them at their best discounts of the year is pretty neat.
Between Zero Escape: The Nonary Games, Valkyrie Drive, Lost Dimension, the Princess Maker games....I'm probably going to wind up buying SOMETHING. I do think the prices could be lower though.

Might just finally not even bother with the sales and just grab something between Star Ocean 4, Okami, and Romancing Saga 2.

-MD-

https://www.pcgamesn.com/transformers-devastation/activision-transformers-korra-delisted-steam

RIP Transformers Devastation
Was actually a pretty good game from what I've heardI actually think its pretty all right this year. So many great games came out this year so having them at their best discounts of the year is pretty neat.
Between Zero Escape: The Nonary Games, Valkyrie Drive, Lost Dimension, the Princess Maker games....I'm probably going to wind up buying SOMETHING. I do think the prices could be lower though.

Might just finally not even bother with the sales and just grab something between Star Ocean 4, Okami, and Romancing Saga 2.

I care zero about Transformers and loved Devastation, really fun game.

Battlechili

Banned
I only bought Okami HD in the end. I have too many unfinished games in my library. In the end I decided it'd be better to save and wait for something I badly want.

Friends got me Chantelise and Panty Party though.

Bl@de

Bought Rome 2 (Emperor Edition) and played for 8 hours in two days. Love it so far. My first historical Total War game. Also looks great with mods and Ultra settings. Great alternative next to the fantasy setting of Total War Warhammer and the grand strategy of Europa Universalis 4. That‘s it it for me. Enough content until the next sale.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

t1cxE6r.gif
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-CD9A96DC2402CE2F - Taken by Faynwulf
Aragami -- MB-392ED9435444992E - Taken by Mikurden
Beholder -- MB-4701A22E95D04F34 - Taken by Dangerblade
Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla EX) -- MB-3C5E00CC681528BE - Taken by Dangerblade
Mr. Shifty -- MB-F8FB079493907A77 - Taken by laserlaser

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Modbot giveaway functionality will be down following the forum coming back online after the NeoGAF upgrade.

Hopefully it won't take too long to re-write most of the giveaway functionality. It will be back as soon as possible. Thanks.

ehead

I have some extra keys I got from the monthly humblebundle but modbot's out. I'll just try to post links later.

Also, is there a mod to fix the filter in Okami? I think I'd rather have blocky graphics than blurry images. It hurts my brain.

masterkajo

I dig the new design. Also, I hope modbot is ok and gets back up soon. But I have a feeling he won't be down for long. Nothings stops this machine.

Battlechili

Banned
I think this should raise some eyebrows

Also Ys VIII is having another beta test and will release on January 30

Also, I don't mean to be insensitive, but can we have a way to update the OP so its not outdated? Or replace it with someone who actually still posts here?

Last edited:

ehead

Hello, gaf. I don't know if modbot or the quote function is working, but I mentioned I have some games to give away. Reply to this post with the game of your choice (please cite a reason why you want the game just to make the thread lively :lol), and I will send the humblebundle link via pm.

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity
- Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
- Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
- Kentucky Route Zero

- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- The Walking Dead S1 + 400 days DLC
- Super Meat Boy

There's probably more, I'll just edit the post after work. By the way, I'm not sure if all the gift links are still working as some are very old.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Hello, gaf. I don't know if modbot or the quote function is working, but I mentioned I have some games to give away. Reply to this post with the game of your choice (please cite a reason why you want the game just to make the thread lively :lol), and I will send the humblebundle link via pm.

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable

There's probably more, I'll just edit the post after work. By the way, I'm not sure if all the gift links are still working as some are very old.
I'd be fairly interested in Alien Isolation.

About the why... Not much to say, really. I was always a bit curious about the game because it got a lot of praise, but I never cared enough about survival horrors to actually purchase it, so I'd take the chance to try it, if possible.

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation

- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

I'm interested in Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, never properly played any games from this series but always wanted to try them. Maybe i'll try to go with DS2 before pulling the trigger on DS3

Last edited:

Anteater

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation

- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

I'd be interested in Stardew Valley, supposedly a relaxing game. Everything I have are shootbangs.

NeoRaider

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation

- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

The Long Dark pls? It looks very interesting to me for some time now, and i would like to try it.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation

- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

Kentucky Route Zero please, I heard it's pretty good and chapter 5 almost finished.

Last edited:

ehead

I don't think it's necessary to quote me all the time. :lol
Anyway, updated my list, and will try to check what else I have.

Last edited:

boneso

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation

- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

I would love to try pillars of eternity, am I getting it confused with a f2p game of the same style?

Hakkelus

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity

- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

I would love Tomb Raider reboot! I like sneaking around :)

Battlechili

Banned
Thanks for reviving the thread ehead. Its much appreciated. I liked this community to much so seeing it slow down was kinda sad. Steam is still going strong as a platform after all.

ehead

Thanks for reviving the thread ehead. Its much appreciated. I liked this community to much so seeing it slow down was kinda sad. Steam is still going strong as a platform after all.

Yeah, I really owe it to SteamGaf why I got into Steam many years ago. :D

Anyway, the platform's still going strong. I'm happy to see some early access games being released as full titles recently. Hoping there will be a Subnautica OT.

Last edited:

theDeeDubs

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity

- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

Would love to take Resident Evil 5 off your hands if you still have it. It's my favorite RE game and would love to own it on PC. I almost got it during the winter sale, but other games that I had never played before took precedent.

Last edited:

Cc23830

I would love to try Killer is dead. Im relatively new to PC gaming ( since october) fter buying a rig for PUBG and still trying to get my way around K+M and the steam platform as a whole

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity

- Kentucky Route Zero

- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

Kadayi

Banned
I would love to try Killer is dead. Im relatively new to PC gaming ( since october) fter buying a rig for PUBG and still trying to get my way around K+M and the steam platform as a whole

You can play Killer is Dead using a controller. I quite enjoyed it, though I do recall that due to the nature of the port it was necessary to jig around with some settings to get it to run ok. I think one of the early boss fights is basically impossible if you're running past 30 or 60fps because that impacts the speed with which you need to press buttons and so you have to limit it if you have a decent GPU.

- The Long Dark
- Tomb Raider (reboot)
- Rise of Tomb Raider
- Alien Isolation
- Pillars of Eternity
- Kentucky Route Zero

- The Stanley Parable
- Stardew Valley
- The Swapper
- Super Meat Boy

I’m interested in super meat boy! Saw it in the indie game documentary but never got around to playing it. Wondering if it is indeed as amazing as it’s supposed to be

ehead

So I take it we aren't doing monthly Steam threads anymore?

I guess there's really no need for a monthly thread. Game releases will have their own threads anyway, and responses are more constrained here. Though, I would still be up for a monthly thread just to discuss new games that don't really get their own OTs, or currently discounted games that need to be talked about.

Battlechili

Banned
So I take it we aren't doing monthly Steam threads anymore?
Apparently
Don't think there's enough activity for it at the moment. It does make the current thread OP really outdated though. If we wanted to try for a monthly thing again I'd be willing to try and make one for February once the date is closer.

Last edited:

ehead

11 days until the best Final Fantasy game ever releases on Steam. I hope you all are ready for Ivalice.

I haven't played FFXII yet but managed to try a few minutes of the DS game years ago. Does it play the same? Also, looking at the length of the game on howlongtobeat.com, it says you can complete it in almost 60 hours. Hmm. Does that include grinding? Or is it even necessary?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
11 days until the best Final Fantasy game ever releases on Steam. I hope you all are ready for Ivalice.

I played through it last year on the PS4 (Pro) and it was great - I'm not sure if I'm ready to double-dip on PC, mostly because I don't know if my PC is up-to-snuff enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

I haven't played FFXII yet but managed to try a few minutes of the DS game years ago. Does it play the same? Also, looking at the length of the game on howlongtobeat.com, it says you can complete it in almost 60 hours. Hmm. Does that include grinding? Or is it even necessary?

The FFXII DS spin-off game was extremely odd and was almost more of a Final Fantasy Tactics A2 follow-up rather than a FFXII game. This game plays nothing like the DS spin-off. 60 hours sounds about right, especially for your first play-through. If you know where to go all the time and the best/fastest routes to get there you could probably do it in 35-40. There are some speedrunners that can do it sub-6 hour, but that's just crazy.

ehead

The FFXII DS spin-off game was extremely odd and was almost more of a Final Fantasy Tactics A2 follow-up rather than a FFXII game. This game plays nothing like the DS spin-off. 60 hours sounds about right, especially for your first play-through. If you know where to go all the time and the best/fastest routes to get there you could probably do it in 35-40. There are some speedrunners that can do it sub-6 hour, but that's just crazy.

I remember it (DS game) having some dynamic movement during battle then selecting action buttons alá Xenoblade - I could be wrong though. Anyway, I am concerned with the grinding aspect of the game; FF7 did it with leveling, FF8 did it with the stupid draw mechanic, can't really say anything for FF9 and 10 yet. I still haven't played through FF9, I have started but new games tend to distract me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember it (DS game) having some dynamic movement during battle then selecting action buttons alá Xenoblade - I could be wrong though. Anyway, I am concerned with the grinding aspect of the game; FF7 did it with leveling, FF8 did it with the stupid draw mechanic, can't really say anything for FF9 and 10 yet. I still haven't played through FF9, I have started but new games tend to distract me.

The original game had a bit of a grind to it, but this was mostly alleviated in the upcoming remaster with:
  1. There is a "fast forward" option now that lets your character's actions move at 2x speed. This helps a lot in the few areas of the game where grinding is required due to difficulty spikes...
  2. The game has less pronounced difficulty spikes than the original, mostly thanks to the new zodiac license boards. This helps guide and focus your character's "level ups" so you don't get stuck...
These two things alone help cut down the grinding pretty significantly. Even in the original version, grinding wasn't so bad due to the game's Gambit system, which basically lets you automate most encounters anyway which makes grinding pretty mindless.

Battlechili

Banned
The DS title is a very, VERY different game from the original. XII: Revenant Wings is more of an RTS than anything else, while XII plays more like an MMORPG or perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles if you've ever played that. There is a decent bit of grinding, although the game seems to be adding in a New Game Minus mode where you're level 1 the whole way through, so apparently it is possible to get by without leveling up (with my experience with 12, I have no idea how they managed this unless there's something people know about the game that I never figured out).
Its as jshackles said though; 60 hours is about the length of the game, although you can get more out of it should you choose to go exploring and/or do some Hunts. The game has A LOT of sidequests.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve hosted a dev session recently. I was going to post highlights, but it makes more sense to just post the slides themselves:

madjoki @ that other place said:
Some slides (same as posted to steam topic)

FEe4TVC.jpg

px4nTpp.jpg

9YvjLux.jpg

MRCWhaw.jpg

nmr0sJi.jpg

#ALWAYS_DOUBLE_CHECK
4K0O0Zc.jpg

uCNe84T.jpg

mXXSdWQ.jpg

cNkjjvD.jpg

jyym08x.jpg

rVht8c9.jpg

5spCCsx.jpg

S16ga99.jpg

1c0lxgk.jpg

jwEg0XS.jpg

rsUxnNA.jpg

RKZYBW1.jpg

ABfkqLD.jpg

J3DrsXv.jpg

TcQVngV.jpg

1ibfAUx.jpg

J549ERk.jpg

Pwb5Sjm.jpg

pmFxrZe.jpg

p9jeImq.jpg

What I find particularly interesting is the employee count. Valve was ~360 heads strong not even 18 months ago and my guess is the sharp drop is due to the internal Steam Support team being axed entirely in favour of scaling up within the company with which it partnered for the purpose of outsourcing Steam support.

Last edited:

jshackles

From what I've gathered, response times are definitely better. No idea if the quality of those responses has improved, though, haha.

I've heard it's more of the same honestly - lots of robo-answers and unhelpful responses. But at least they're kinda-sorta acknowledging now that it's a problem: that's progress.

Top Bottom