• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/786307617819807745

CumGaq8WYAAeIk0.jpg

CumIFcOWAAAyBSH.jpg

There's a dev days thread but I figure this is big enough for it's own thread?

Yup. Here's more info via Gamasutra:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ayStation_4_gamepad_support_in_new_update.php
At Steam Dev Days today, Jeff Bellinghausen with Valve Software said the company is slated to release an update that will expand Steam Controller configurability options to the PlayStation 4's DualShock 4 controller.

That means more options for players, allowing them to tailor the functions of the PS4’s touchpad and gyro features – options that aren’t available today when using the DualShock 4 with Steam.

Co-presenter Lars Doucet, developer of Defender’s Quest, explained, “Believe it or not, when you use the PS4 Controller through the Steam API, it’s exactly the same as a Steam Controller. You make the exact same API calls, you only get actions, not inputs, and the Steam API takes care of everything.”

Nice

Not familiar with using my DS4 for my laptop. Does anyone know if this will most likely be an easy setup or will it involve drivers and such?

So does that mean I can play games without DS4 support with a DS4 now?
Because I'd LOVE to go back to Mark of the Ninja, but I need controller support.

Good guy Valve putting the platform ahead of their hardware business.

Small victory but it's not going to stem the tide of bullshit decisions that company has been making recently.

I wonder if it's a response to the fuck up that the Anniversary update caused?

Big Picture Mode already supports the DS4 natively. But if this can bring official support into games (even if they must be launched via Steam) that would be awesome.

Arulan

Although I believe the Steam controller is a much better option, it's fantastic to see this software be applied to other options as well.

The benefits of an open-platform everyone. And that of a company that understands how important that is, even when that means adding support for a product that competes directly against theirs.

So does that mean I can play games without DS4 support with a DS4 now?
Because I'd LOVE to go back to Mark of the Ninja, but I need controller support.

it should work like steam link where it's basically emulating xinput, so yeah

Wireless?! Cause every time devs talk DS4 support it tends to be wired.

yes, it should work w/ wireless. it works wirelessly on the steam link already, but doesn't have the interface or features they announced today

TheTux

Does it mean you can just plug a DS4 on your PC and use it like a normal (PC/XBox) controller with a few additional features like trackpad support and without using 3rd party community softwares like DS4Windows?

Will the DS4 controller work automatically for any game on Steam (even without using Big Picture mode) like, for example, FFXIII?

Sorry for the long questions btw.

LCGeek

formerly sane
FINALLY.

It was such a pain in the ass using DS4Windows.

Without IM/DS4 the default sensitivty range sucks vs 360/Xbox1/Ds3 controller so I'd rather have my controller mapped in it's analog ranges properly than give it up. The same can be said for naked drivers. Hopefully steam gets it right besides mapping cause I don't see it replacing that in my racing games if I can't change certain things.

Why are you using DS4windows especiallly on 10 it's been depreciated and is giving you the problems you're whining about. Input mapper has been solid the last 4 months it comes on when windows turns on and I never think about it.

Using steam is technically 3rd party too Tux, I don't care what I use but it better work.

Does this mean it can fully replace an Xbox-controller? Plug in and play?

Is it like native support? Or is it just using DirectInput, and lets you configure the buttons like a DirectInput device?

Understandable if that's the case, but not sure if I'd need something like that.

Does this mean it can replace an Xbox-controller fully?

Is it like native support? Or is it just using DirectInput, and lets you configure the buttons like a DirectInput device?

Understandable if that's the case, but not sure if I'd need something like that.

it'll emulate xinput for games that don't support the ds4 natively, so it's a full replacement providing you play everything through steam

Does it mean you can just plug a DS4 on your PC and use it like a normal (PC/XBox) controller with a few additional features like trackpad support and without using 3rd party community softwares like DS4Windows?

Will the DS4 controller work automatically for any game on Steam (even without using Big Picture mode) like, for example, FFXIII?

yes + yes afaik

But I'm having so much fun running my DS3 through some hacky software and always taking a few seconds to remember which button corresponds to which 360 prompt!

...guess I'm gonna lookout for DS4 sales this Black Friday

Ewww, why

It's a design that worked for almost 20 years and can work for another 20 more!!

SURGEdude

Great news. I prefer the XB1 controller for most games, but this is gonna be a huge win for local multiplayer at my place.

artsi

Wireless?! Cause every time devs talk DS4 support it tends to be wired.

Wireless DS4 works fine on PC.

Wait... will games have DS4 button prompts too?

They already can and some do. It's 100% up to the devs, it never was a driver problem or anything.

What this can do is incentive the devs to implement support as the wrapper integrated to Steam is bigger thing than DS4Windows.
But technically this is nothing new, DS4Windows can do all this already.

Maztorre

If the game has no native DS4 support then it will act like a regular xbox controller for everything that has gamepad support on Steam (so yes, FFXIII). It also has a built in configuration editor so you could remap O/X to Japanese style at the system level if you preferred (as well as customise all other button placement, sensitivity, etc, at system level and per-game).

Great! Now people that are going to play Bloodstained on PC can do it as it was meant to be: with a Dualshock controller. Anyone that was going to use a Steam controller (or the Xbox One's left stick) for that game would be doing it wrong!

The Dualshock 4 has the overall best Dpad any home console has ever had. Come at me Saturners!

Top Bottom