• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Welcome to the slighly belated February Steam Thread, apologies for the STEAM GOTY delay but this will be the month for the results.
Check out Toma's [GOTY] IndieGAF recommends: The 50 Best Indies of 2014

iFH68tTWBNzjE.jpg

Apotheon
- Uzzy
Apotheon, by Alien Trap Games, is a side scrolling metroidvania game, set in the world of ancient Greek mythology. Apotheon sees
you cast as as humanity's last hero, Nikandreos, who after the Greek gods abandon humanity, must fight his way through hordes
of mythical enemies and search for divine treasure, in order to scale Mount Olympus to claim the divine powers the Gods wield to
save mankind.

The thing that stood out most about this game to me was it's amazing art design. It's essentially an interactive piece of ancient
Greek art, like the kind you'd see on pottery. It looks like nothing I've seen before, which for me, is always something to get excited
about. Gameplay wise, it's promising a combat system that relies on timing and positioning, and a wide variety of weapons and armour
types to get to grips with. Exploration will also play a key part, with upgrades and better weapons hidden away behind locked doors,
forcing you to search the amazing looking world.

Rise of Incarnates
- Rayge
Rise of Incarnates is Bandai Namco’s foray into F2P territory on PC. It’s 2v2 arena fighter using both melee and ranged attacks much
like Gundam Extreme VS. Namco really seems to want to make this game somewhat DOTA 2-esque in their method of content delivery
by allowing people full access to the roster and allowing players to customize their character. The roster, while small, offers a variety of
combat styles ranging for people fighting on motorcycles, to a mad doctor surfing on dead bodies, to your typical form changing badass
sword wielder. The game is also going to allow players to customize character’s movesets according to playstyles.

This is a game where good team work will prevail and lone wolves will more than likely get annihilated. As seen in some of the recent
gameplay footage of the game, it looks like partners will need to help set each other up to help maximize damage potential within a
fight. The combat looks very fluid, moves flow together nicely, and Super moves allow for quite the spectacle for people viewing on
the sidelines.

Personally, when I first heard about this game I grew disinterested pretty quick with it. But over the months, after seeing more and more
gameplay, the game is starting to get excited for it. While there are something that just don’t vibe well with me in terms of aesthetics, the
actual game mechanics and how they are approaching the F2P model is keeping attention on it. The game will be released around
February 3rd or 4th so check it out… It’s free.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
- Tizoc & Rayge
Tizoc: The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match is the latest revision of King of Fighters 2002, considered one of the best KoF games
in the series. KoF 02 UM updates much of its combat system allowing players to perform stronger supers without having to enter into
MAX Mode, along with various gameplay rebalancing. Furthermore, it features the biggest roster in a KoF game featuring 66 characters
including all bosses from the NESTS Saga sans K9999. The port's online is handled by Code Mystics so expect the online to
perform as well as KoF 98 UM. Overall, the game's system allows for more flexible and flashy combos, and is a great game to play
with others offline as well.

Rayge: Hopefully Code Mystics learned a few things from KOF98UM. While Final Edition was the most up to date version of the game in
terms gameplay, it lacked a lot of features that made the PS2 version really great (they went with the XBLA release for this game). The
lack of 3D backgrounds, filters, rearranged soundtrack, color editing, and extra artwork was really upsetting to a lot of fans expecting
something more from a “Final Edition.” On top of that the online during the initial release was abhorrent.

This is probably getting people worried about the release of KOF2002UM, and they should be worried. But hopefully Code Mystics has
learned from their mistakes. Also seeing as how there isn’t any other version of this game, all the extra goodies that people are expecting
for this game will be there. Now on the good. While most people consider 98UM to be the end all be all of classic KOF games, 2002UM
holds that title for me. The game offers a cast 66 characters with the only person missing being K9999 due to copyright issues with Akira.
New moves have been added or improved visually while also making them easier to execute within a real match. All the character
artworks have been redone by the talented Hiroaki and the game also includes an arranged soundtrack for those looking to spice things
up. I’m excited about this release as this is the first game I ever played at a fighting game tournament and it’s also my 2nd most played
KOF ever. I was still not grasping how to correctly play fighting games back in 2003, so now I’d like to give this another go. If you’re
interested in some matches just add me and we can get some practice in. The game is currently discounted at $11.99.

Way of the Samurai 4
- Kurt Russell
Way of the Samurai 4 is Ghostlight's latest PC release. For those who haven't been following the company's work, they are a British
publisher which focuses on bringing Japanese games to Western audiences, and as of late, has been bringing many of those games to
PC. After that quick intro, let's concentrate ourselves in Way of the Samurai 4, which is the second WotS game to come out in non Sony
platforms (and the first on PC) Players start the game as a nameless Samurai who arrives in a fictional Japanese port town in the middle
of the 19th century, just as foreigners start to influence Japanese life. Upon arrival, the player can choose to align with different factions
(foreign powers, Shogunate forces or rebels who want to expel the foreigners) This non linear approach also translates to the gameplay,
as players are able to experiment with different fighting styles, character customization options (though the character's gender is always
male) important decision making and also ten different endings.

Though the game is single player only, there's a form of multiplayer interaction because if the user is online, their character will appear in
other player's game, and if defeated, they will drop a customized sword. This new PC version features Steam Trading Cards,
Achievements, Cloud Saving support and also supports either keyboard or controllers.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 / Biohazard Revelations 2
- Dr Dogg
Hot on the heels of Resident Evil HD Remastered comes Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Liverpool 0) the sequel to 2012's 3DS game and
later 2013's HD port. This time our protagonists are series favorites Claire Redfield and Barry Burton. Claire now works for a
anti-bioterrorist organisation Terra Save. Barry's daughter, Moira is attending Claire's welcoming party when unknown armed forces
storm the Terra Save office. Claire and Moira are knocked unconscious to latter awaken in a darkened prison facility on a remote island.
Barry set's off to the facility to rescue his daughter while when he arrives befriends a young girl, Natalia, who has strange powers.

Revelations 2 is set between RE5 and RE6. Still following an episodic structure of the first game but this time being released in
installments. Gameplay looks largely the same with the mix between exploration and more mobile combat with a sprinkling of puzzle
solving thrown in. Also Raid mode is back as well with some 'interesting' footage of new features like gestures.

Evolve
- jshackles
From the creators of Left 4 Dead, this 4v1 action FPS has you joining forces with 3 teammates to take down a huge player-controlled
monster, or being the monster to try your hand at taking down 4 opponents. In addition to the online multiplayer aspects that the game
is tailored to, Evolve will also feature a single-player offline mode where you can hone your skills by using the monster to take on 4 AI
opponents or choose a team of 4 hunters and swap between them using the D-Pad while the AI takes over the rest. 2K Games promises
balanced and competitive gameplay, various unlockable upgrades and perks, a free copy of Left 4 Dead, and a "PC Monster Race"
version that includes a ton of future DLC.

irz37doXFruhe.jpg

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires - Chariot
Hold on, isn't Dynasty Warriors 8 already on Steam?
Yes, but this is Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, which trumps DW8 Extreme with a lot of fun features. While it retains the Dynasty Warriors
typical gameplay of slaughtering through hordes of enemies with a huge variety of different characters and weapons, Empires adds an
character editor that allows you to create your own chinese general to conquer the country in the new conquest mode with their own
edited banners, soldiers and horses. You can set policies, command other generals and use Stratagems to give you an edge in the
coming fight. And you can even marry and have children that inherits stats from their parents. Stop letting random chinese historical
and fictional figures conquer China, it's time for you to step up and unite the land. Again.

iobS7qaObBL7P.jpg

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and
your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand
it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

Gaffers writing recommendations for upcoming Steam threads:

- Assassin's Creed Rogue. - Dr Dogg
- GTAV - Dr Dogg
- Dead or Alive 5: Last Round - Bayonetta

MRORANGE

ibdfbTmQDXbEOg.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and poor posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.

iuycRrpde7uBO.jpg

iYesePjbpHEE.jpg

• Sites that list Steam profile Stats? - Check list, remember not to spam this thread with your profile stats:

iKOS3JVH1D3jM.jpg

ibuVVdJXZEfIu1.jpg

Previous Threads:

MRORANGE

Modbot has been linked..

I won't be active on Gaf this month, but the main thing is to get the votes up, apologies again for the wait.

As for the slow thread speed, I wouldn't worry too much, January/February are quite slow for game releases. Don't worry the thread activity is fine... I think.

EDIT:

iobS7qaObBL7P.jpg

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and
your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand
it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

Gaffers writing recommendations for March Steam thread:

- Dead or Alive 5: Last Round - Bayonetta

Thank you MRORANGE for setting aside time to put up the new thread for the month.

Also, reposting from the other thread.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Summoner -- MB-7D9764216FA812B2 - Taken by Bayonetta. 5 entrants total.
Fearless Fantasy -- MB-606106FF4F3E609F - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
Avadon 2: The Corruption -- MB-3B9922614D736DD1 - Taken by Blu(e). 3 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-94A9EF2D6E3B083E - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-01B095DD30D7273E - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.

t1422854363z1.png

inm8num2

Played Year Walk earlier today - what a beautiful and haunting experience. It's pretty short (~1 hour) but offers incentives to play again and discover additional things.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome new thread as always MRORANGE.

On topic, Fable Anniversary has some weird framerate issues for me. The game itself (the parts where you can actually control your character, run around, fight, etc) run at a flawless 60fps. But the movies stutter badly and I get about 15-20fps. This is on a Radeon HD7950, which I'll admit is a few years old. But still, it's weird that the movies run so poorly when the game itself runs so well.

Played Year Walk earlier today - what a beautiful and haunting experience. It's pretty short (~1 hour) but offers incentives to play again and discover additional things.

And just because
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Year Walk -- MB-24F99E1724AA7275 - Taken by Cth. 2 entrants total.

t1422849263z1.png

How much was the Evolve price mistake?

About USD$6

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
i can't remember that many games that had such a crash of sudden bad rep as evolve

em...walking dogs? I mean, Watch Dogs?

Valve is going to release a game with 3 in their name? Because I would do something cheeky to fuck with people.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
What game is that in the banner? (I'm probably overlooking it, lol)

edit: It's Rise of Incarnates, I'm dumb.

edit2: Juuuuuuuust kidding, it's Evolve. I'm super dumb and should just go to bed already.

Miguel81

Looks like Revelations 2 is the one I look forward to most this month. Nice to see Dr. Dogg did the recommendation, and hopefully he manages to do his Chris run of REmake without too much(?) trouble.

Liking that banner. Good work, MR. ORANGE.

Edit: Oh, it's Rise of the Incarnates.

GaussTek

As expected, weak month for me. Only really looking for RE: Revelations 2, but I will probably just wait until they release all the episodes.

zkylon

zkylewd
em...walking dogs? I mean, Watch Dogs?
maybe, tho i think the excitement for walking dogs started wearing off a while before release as trailers were showing more and more how ubisoft-y the whole thing was.

this was like i barely even heard of evolve before like a month ago and ever since it started showing up it's negative shit after negative shit after negative shit

I will buy nothing this thread! All the way until Summer Sale!
right...

iO3zUWLduQWxM.gif

oceanskie

Banned
Look like another month of release wasteland though I may consider KOF later in the year.

March can't arrive soon enough.

Hugstable

Banned
I think Revelaitons 2 is the game I'm most excited about this month. Finally getting back into PC gaming alot more after having gotten burned on buying Evil Within on PS4 lol >_>. Enjoying the hell outta Neptunia right now, this game really surprised me, then again I went into the game with the expectations that it would be crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom