• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuck_yeah.gif

Yeah I'm not really sure how they integrate explicit dates with monthly or even quarterly targets. Is the date just hidden or is steam just making an educated guess?

Something else coming out soon:

XCOM in the Wild West, not Weird West like Hard West. Graphics look a little bland and aged but there looks to be plenty of ambition here. Persistant and generic characters, lots of story missions, a grand overarching tactical map in the Heroes of Might and Magic style and other play modes.
Plz be good

There are parts of Fallout NV that are great. There are just too many issues with the game. Maybe if they just wrote the story and the dialog with an editor would pare down the pop culture, and someone else developed the game with that story, then I'd be all for it. There is a huge discrepancy between the quality of Obsidian's writing and their game design.

Whaaat? Obsidian's greatest strength is marrying their writing chops into the games they make. Like, stories that are affected by how you play, not just what you say; most games are lucky to have very binary stories, if they're interactive at all, but Obsidian has always aimed higher. FNV, MotB, Alpha Protocol, and Tyranny have this kind of thing in spades.

Pillars and Tyranny are probably the most mechanically sound games they've made, though. Their previous games had real issues with overambitious design goals.

zkylon

zkylewd
the bits in persona 4 where u have to "gather more information" are the absolute worst, i don't know what they were thinking

like, the idea of doing detectivework sounds awesome and just questioning people and following a lead or whatever, that's all great, but the way the game handles it is just terrible, you just have to run at every npc in town until you find the right one

and like you can't even use your existing knowledge cos if they say we gotta find a cop to ask him about naoto, it's not like there was a cop already you can remember and go talk to him, or there's no police station to visit or anything, they just randomly spawn a cop at some random corner and you're just supposed to stumble upon them i guess

the fact that they had me do this like 5 times already is really irritating

I know someone involved with this game so I bought a couple to giveaway.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PsychoSoldier, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fire Arrow Plus -- MB-D77BE35D64A116FB - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 16 entrants total.

t1486049903z1.png

Vlad

Whoa! I've never met that boss.o_O After the place with golden chests and taking the teleport from there I go back to the first level just with harder enemies, I've gone through that cycle maybe 5 times in one run, the one that took me four hours. I must be missing something.o_O

When you get to the last teleporter before you loop back around, pay attention to the text that pops up when you stand in front of it. If you press the normal teleport button, you start back over from the first level, but you can press a different button to actually proceed to the last level.

Arulan

From the Louisiana field guides tweeted by Josh Sawyer, my educated guess is their unannounced White Wolf IP RPG is based on Vampire: The Requiem and that is set in Louisiana.

Nah. Project Louisiana is Josh Sawyer's current project, which is Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Obsidian always uses state names for their projects.

I believe the Vampire: The Masquerade project is the one being led by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

rtcn63

Better than sixty, but still possibly quite a lot of if you've already got a bunch of VC games and the online gaming aspect turns out poorly. People often (willfully) forget that the wariness and vitriol comes from watching Nintendo's track record these past console generations.

$25-30 a year.

Better, but not something I plan on buying regardless.

Better than sixty, but still possibly quite a lot of if you've already got a bunch of VC games and the online gaming aspect turns out poorly. People often (willfully) forget that the wariness and vitriol comes from watching Nintendo's track record these past console generations.

Not just that but lol at paying for online in general. I don't do it for PS4, XBO, Switch bout to join that count when I pick it up for cheap.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
$25-30 a month for Nintendo Online

Everybody is like "hey that's pretty reasonable"

Never change

"I like paying more so I can play games online"

Wat. I thought it was insane when Microsoft started charging for the 360 online service. It was insane then and it still seems insane now. But I get it, the friend list of other people you know is already huge there, non-PC owning friends, lower cost of entry, etc. But how many people are going to play Nintendo games online? How many multiplayer online games are even going to be released? Arms and Splatoon are the two atm, and probably a Smash game eventually? Everything else I wouldn't care to play online. It just seems crazy to me to pay anything for a probably low population service like that.

Kifimbo

Short analysis of the sales for high-profile Steam games launched in January. There wasn't a whole lot.

Great/Good
RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard - 257,613 ± 14,573
Conan Exiles (very short period) - 55,184 ± 11,791

Decent
Tales of Berseria - 40,994 ±5,815
Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach - 9,493 ± 2,798

Bad/Bomba
Might & Magic Showdown - 3,668 ±1,739
Rocketbirds 2 Evolution - 2,805 ±1,521
Pictopix - 1,965 ±1,569
The Legend of Dark Witch Episode 2 -The Price of Desire - 643 ± 889

Let me know if I missed any.

Pixieking

Banned
"I like paying more so I can play games online"

Wat. I thought it was insane when Microsoft started charging for the 360 online service. It was insane then and it still seems insane now. But I get it, the friend list of other people you know is already huge there, non-PC owning friends, lower cost of entry, etc. But how many people are going to play Nintendo games online? How many multiplayer online games are even going to be released? Arms and Splatoon are the two atm, and probably a Smash game eventually? Everything else I wouldn't care to play online. It just seems crazy to me to pay anything for a probably low population service like that.

No doubt about any of that, but by comparison... I have a PS4, Bloodborne and Journey. If PSN cost $20/£15 a year, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, for Journey online play alone. It's all in the eye of the beholder whether it's worth it. *shrugs*

prudislav

I'd say 40k at €50 with pretty much no preorder deal is still more than decent.
yeah its been like 4 days from release, game is partially broken by patch at this moment and iic there is a couple days delay for steamspy anyway
i would say its fine

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt about any of that, but by comparison... I have a PS4, Bloodborne and Journey. If PSN cost $20/£15 a year, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, for Journey online play alone. It's all in the eye of the beholder whether it's worth it. *shrugs*

I hear you. I don't blame people for wanting to engage with the services when they get something out of it. Whatever that value is worth is a personal thing. When most of my friends list is on PC playing Overwatch or steam games, then I have 0 incentive to pay for those console services. Mileage will vary for others of course.

Cels

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cels, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-256D527BF0576C2D - Taken by Orgen. 5 entrants total.

t1485982541z1.png

wow i fucked this up like three times, ok looks good now

gabbo

fuck_yeah.gif

Something else coming out soon:

XCOM in the Wild West, not Weird West like Hard West. Graphics look a little bland and aged but there looks to be plenty of ambition here. Persistant and generic characters, lots of story missions, a grand overarching tactical map in the Heroes of Might and Magic style and other play modes.

Im intrigued. More western tbs is always welcome.

PaulSane

So, my brother just gifted me a 4K TV out of the blue (well, not really, since my birthday is this month, but still a couple of weeks away, so that was pretty unexpected). And now i will have to adjust my PC configuration to accomodate for that - would a 1060 card suffice? I have a GTX 750 at the moment, it supposts 4K@60fps, but i tested it with Berseria, and i get some heavy dips to about 30-40fps.

I'm pretty excited about the prospect of actually playing those Gust games in 4K, and not only marvel at Durante's screenshots :p

Knurek

So, my brother just gifted me a 4K TV out of the blue (well, not really, since my birthday is this month, but still a couple of weeks away, so that was pretty unexpected). And now i will have to adjust my PC configuration to accomodate for that - would a 1060 card suffice?

Depending on the game and setting, even quad SLI 1080 might not be enough. :p

Phawx

So, my brother just gifted me a 4K TV out of the blue (well, not really, since my birthday is this month, but still a couple of weeks away, so that was pretty unexpected). And now i will have to adjust my PC configuration to accomodate for that - would a 1060 card suffice? I have a GTX 750 at the moment, it supposts 4K@60fps, but i tested it with Berseria, and i get some heavy dips to about 30-40fps.

I'm pretty excited about the prospect of actually playing those Gust games in 4K, and not only marvel at Durante's screenshots :p

It varies but ultimately the answer is no. You'll need to sacrifice settings one way or another. If it's a AAA game, chances are it's mostly a no, even from older AAA games.

PaulSane

Depending on the game and setting, even quad SLI 1080 might not be enough. :p

I forgot to mention that i'm pretty used to playing with lowered settings to keep 1080p@60fps going :) I don't mind lower image quality at all - my preference is fps > resolution > everything else.

It varies but ultimately the answer is no. You'll need to sacrifice settings one way or another. If it's a AAA game, chances are it's mostly a no, even from older AAA games.

I'm completely fine with sacrificing anything for the sake of fps and resolution, as mentioned above :) It's also worth mentioning that my other PC parts are 5 years old now, and i don't plan to upgrade them in the near future, so all those "Ultra" and "High" presets are out of the question already based on that.

Knurek

I'm completely fine with sacrificing anything for the sake of fps and resolution, as mentioned above :) It's also worth mentioning that my other PC parts are 5 years old now, and i don't plan to upgrade them in the near future, so all those "Ultra" and "High" presets are out of the question already based on that.

If you need 4k60 at all times, 1080 might be enough (1080TI being the safer bet).
If you're okay with going to 4k30 or , say, 1700p60 at times, 1070 should be enough.
I had 970 previously (which is slightly slower than 1060), and the only time I could hit 4k60 on AAA games was with properly optimized releases of X360/PS3 gen. Things like DmC, Arkham Asylum, the likes. And even then, it usually required some serious tinkering with the setting to keep the framerate smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom