• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam for Linux: Now Officially Available to All + 39 Games Initially Supported...

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Portal 2 isn't appearing in my list; Phoronix is wrong in this case. But Portal is now up in beta.

I'm getting some slowdown when observing recursive portals (at the recommended 2 portal level), whereas the same view is silky-smooth in Windows. Hopefully gets ironed out before full release.

Edit: But I guess that could be a graphics driver issue and not Valve's problem. To be fair, no game runs as well for me as its Windows counterpart and I'm sure thats due to the state of the OpenGL drivers.

FloatOn

I'm thinking of throwing ubuntu on my crappy laptop with vista basic. so this steam linux news is a win for me.

So that just leaves Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 1, the half-life 2s, and CS:GO until they finally port Dota 2 and I can stop booting into windows all the time.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2 are up in beta. Hell, Valve even ported the Lost Coast.

Between the HL2s, Portal, L4d2, and the Double Fine releases, the last week or two has been pretty good for Linux users on Steam.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
YES
AU7Amsc.gif

Now I can jump straight into HL2 after I beat HL1.

Today is a good day.

This is a huge step in the right direction to getting me to linux. I want to drop windows badly at this point... unfortunately there are 2 things standing in my way... Blizzard games and still pretty terrible linux drivers from AMD.

That's it, everything else is gravy. I could probably get by playing SC2 via WINE with my setup if it wasn't for the fact that the 7000 series drivers are piss poor (well, to be fair, ALL radeon graphics are still piss poor)... not to mention unstable... Open Source drivers are no where near usable for 3D games yet but are also a helluva lot more stable. Lose lose lose scenarios... so I still wait.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
How's the Linux client nowadays? I once checked it out but it did support only Debian(?).

I think that the client only supports Ubuntu 12.04 officially, but that it works with many other distros. I'm pretty sure that many distros have steam in their official repositories. It should work pretty well amongst the major distros, but don't quote me on that.

In Ubuntu at least, the client runs real well. Its very stable and on par with the Windows client imo. Of course software support isn't the same but its getting better.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Not exactly Steam Linux news, but I think this thread makes a good place to dump cool Linux gaming shit.

I saw on Phoronix.com that Crytek has listed a job opening for Linux Programmer. Phoronix states that a CryEngine 3 Linux build has been in existence since last year, but now it looks like they might be taking it commercial or at least laying the groundwork for licensees. Good to see another major middleware developer entering the Linux fold. What are waiting for Epic?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQwNTY

^Nice! Hoping to see some linux ports of cryengine stuff.

Valve has also stated that the Linux version of Dota 2 is currently in testing and will be available soon. Can't wait!

la_briola

^Nice! Hoping to see some linux ports of cryengine stuff.

Valve has also stated that the Linux version of Dota 2 is currently in testing and will be available soon. Can't wait!

You can download Dota 2 Test for Linux right now, but the executable is missing.

Metro: Last Light has popped up in the steam linux database! Definitely didn't see that coming. The first recent non-Valve AAA title?

http://steamdb.info/app/43160/

Well DayZ standalone is going to make the jump too so I hope to see this become a trend with developers, especially since the "Steam Box" will run on some form of Linux. I am a candidate for the "Steam Box" but if I see low support from the AAA third party pubs/devs I will be wary of supporting such a device. Hope this kind of support keeps up.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Well DayZ standalone is going to make the jump too so I hope to see this become a trend with developers, especially since the "Steam Box" will run on some form of Linux. I am a candidate for the "Steam Box" but if I see low support from the AAA third party pubs/devs I will be wary of supporting such a device. Hope this kind of support keeps up.

Yeah, when Valve announced a linux-based Steambox I figured that meant that developers were already on board working on Linux games behind the scenes. While I guess that still could be the case, I'm not as confident now, so its good to see the support.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
So Half-Life Source and Half-Life Deathmatch Source just popped up in my games list. I love how Valve seems to be porting over all of their games.

This just leaves. . .
  • Alien Swarm
  • CS:GO
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Portal 2
until the entire Valve library is on Linux!

Top Bottom