• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Helpdesk Site: Lots of upcoming games maybe leak, slowly getting confirmed

The interesting thing about thsi leak is how many Japanese games there are on there compared to western stuff.

Basically any Western dev/publisher who's going to put stuff on Steam is either already doing it (in which case they probably know how to avoid this sort of thing) or is so new that we wouldn't be looking for them anyway.

Conversely, because Japanese support of Steam is still so nascent, there are tons of publishers finally considering a late version of things that should've been on Steam ages ago (Steins;Gate), bringing a large chunk of their catalog to PC after never releasing for it before (Nippon Ichi), etc.

SparkTR

Basically any Western dev/publisher who's going to put stuff on Steam is either already doing it (in which case they probably know how to avoid this sort of thing) or is so new that we wouldn't be looking for them anyway.

Conversely, because Japanese support of Steam is still so nascent, there are tons of publishers finally considering a late version of things that should've been on Steam ages ago (Steins;Gate), bringing a large chunk of their catalog to PC after never releasing for it before (Nippon Ichi), etc.

One thing I'm curious about is why not just announce it? Why do people have to find out about Xrd and FFVI through ratings leaks? Why did people have to discover DQH through a mistake is the Steam pop-up window? It just doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint to be this vague about upcoming platform releases.

prudislav

or western devs uses codenames on steam for thei games , like Zwei for Evil Within od Shetland Pony for GTA5

One thing I'm curious about is why not just announce it? Why do people have to find out about Xrd and FFVI through ratings leaks? Why did people have to discover DQH through a mistake is the Steam pop-up window? It just doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint to be this vague about upcoming platform releases.

Some japanese publishers are a bit dumb when it comes to that. They think stealth release will do the trick when they could announce and release it at the same time, enjoying from the launch hype.

DQH was released 7 weeks after the PS4 version. They announced it like 2 weeks before release. They either ported it after, or they re just too stupid.

TP

It isn't just Japanese publishers though

IIRC Wayforward announced Shantae and the Pirates Curse for Steam a week before it released and MSF Academy like the day it went up on early access

SparkTR

Some japanese publishers are a bit dumb when it comes to that. They think stealth release will do the trick when they could announce and release it at the same time, enjoying from the launch hype.

DQH was released 7 weeks after the PS4 version. They announced it like 2 weeks before release. They either ported it after, or they re just too stupid.

Especially when you look at how western publishers handle that stuff, the press release usually details everything regarding release scheduled months before it's released. It just feels like a super archaic way to do business these days and pretty much the opposite behavior that Western developers/publishers used to dominate the industry over the past decade.

Mivey

Obviously this is inspired by their cultural heritage. The most effective fighter is not a Samurai, who was basically a glorified brawler, but the elegant and subtle Ninja. So it is basically in their DNA to think about everything how a stealthy assassin would.

Especially when you look at how western publishers handle that stuff, the press release usually details everything regarding release scheduled months before it's released. It just feels like a super archaic way to do business these days and pretty much the opposite behavior that Western developers/publishers used to dominate the industry over the past decade.

Its not even archaic, its blatantly stupid. I think they're losing a lot more sales and money than they think.

Back on Square Enix, we all know it will get a PC release down the line, but why are they waiting a year or so to release it at 30 dollars and sell like 100 to 200k on day one when they could enjoy the hype from a day to day release with console, saving on marketing cost and enjoy 400k of sales at full price ?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm pleased to see Steins;Gate there. I remember when it first got a Western release it was on one small website and I just boggled why it wasn't on Steam. Glad that's being rectified. =)

Hektor

It's just not very good and what it adds to the Danganronpa series as a whole is very minimal (other than elaborating a little more on The Tragedy) and only happens at the very end of the game. It's poorly paced, the gameplay is very start and stop. (Walk forward, shoot a couple Monokumas, conversation happens, rinse and repeat.) And then some chapters drag on way too long and nothing interesting whatsoever is happening.

It's not "terrible" but a pretty big disappointment after DR1 and 2. :/ And the characters outside of Toko and whatever her name is aren't very good. To put it in perspective, I can't even remember the name of the main character.

This doesn't make any sense.

IMG_2096-900x450.jpg
fuck that's disgusting

Demise

Some more pictures for context:

Jamestown +

Wings of VI: Ruby's Escape

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend

BASEBALL STARS 2

GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES

METAL SLUG 2

SHOCK TROOPERS

TWINKLE STAR SPRITES

Wait, don't get my hope up here : Is Garou Mark the wolves getting a pc release ??!! No joke ?

Listonosh

Dammit! Where is Persona 4 Arena? Would love for that to come to Steam, so I wouldn't be forced to hook up my 360 in order to play it.

Demise

It's on the list of leaked stuff, so there is a chance yes.

Yeah, I just saw this evening (EU) that Last Blade 2 was coming Damn, 2015 was a poor year for gaming with a lot of games that dropped the ball but damn the announces are 0 JOKE. We should made a thread about all the things that were promised or leaked this year.

kagamin

"Please don't buy our game."

At least they're fixing it now.

Dunno if serious, but they had some serious licensing issues, this is from last year:

JAST USA said:
We have a license to sell the PC version, which we’re doing in shrink-wrapped package and download form, including the recently released “Steins;Gate The Best” reduce price version, and they’re trying to make a release on PS3 and Vita and do some other interesting things. Obviously we’d like to get permission to put the game on Steam, but we currently don’t have this from them currently.

RPGamer92

Banned
When FFX releases on Steam, someone better make a cutscene skip mod. That would undoubtedly make it the best version of the game.

bede-x

Apparently 4.1 is already stable on ps4 so you'd be getting more of the same

That's not true at all. It can hit sub-10fps on PS4, which is still a massive improvement on the last gen versions, but a PC port would be the first chance the series have of hitting a constant 60fps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm going to go ahead and assume that little Steam detail was never actually on Squeenix's site. It suddenly appearing for a brief moment after the leak is just too suspicious.

Ludens

Banned
I'm going to go ahead and assume that little Steam detail was never actually on Squeenix's site. It suddenly appearing for a brief moment after the leak is just too suspicious.
Probably SE will announce this right after LR release.

Top Bottom