• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 12 million concurrent users.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://store.steampowered.com/stats

8kTKiVu.png

This time last year the peak concurrency was around 8.5 million

Halabane

Where is that thread on pc needs to learn from consoles to save pc gaming? This is just steam...not origin...not people just playing games they bought...not warcraft, lol...whatever.

This is people logged in, what does that mean? Do they have numbers that shows how many games are being played actively or is the steam app just open?

Mivey

Looks like the security breach or whatever it is did not have a significant effect, big surprise.
It's more of a privacy issue, nothing to do with security. The CDN basically let people see stuff they ought not to, but you never had actual access to anything as far as the Steam service is concerned.

Nzyme32

Posted 1 minute after OP. You have lost, sir.

looks like archie beat you so now you look pretty bad for calling him out like you beat him tbqh

In fairness, I didn't see anything till after I posted so I just assumed otherwise since it is a niche topic. Edit - also my data is older :p

It's more of a privacy issue, nothing to do with security.

It's a bit of both. The information revealed for those 34k users has compromised their security in a way

That's over 40% growth in one year. Impressive!

Looks like the security breach or whatever it is did not have a significant effect, big surprise.

Valve has built a LOT of goodwill among PC users. Sure, the cache incident was a dent in that but there is still a lot left. Valve has its faults, but the faults are minor when looking at the big picture and things other companies have done.

ViciousDS

Banned
These people could just have there computer on with steam running correct? Does it only count if people are playing a game?

These people could just have there computer on with steam running correct? Does it only count if people are playing a game?

I believe so? I don't think the concurrent users graph only counts people actively playing a game. It would imply they play/own at least one game on the service, though.

oneils

How old is steam now? 11 years old? I wonder what concurrent years were back when CSI and half life 2 were the main reasons to have the client.

Sblargh

Banned
Impressed at both CIV 5 and Path of Exile's numbers.

Civ 5 is a great game, but it's getting a bit old now, so I am amazed at the legs it has.
Also, Endless Legend is better.

And I thought Path of Exile was way more niche than apparently is. Congratulations to GGG; totally deserved the ongoing success.

oneils

Another thought...can we actually conclude that this means that the platform has grown? I guess it's the only metric we have since valve doesn't publish data.

It means that more people are logged into the client, but what does that really mean? Just wondering aloud.

What has caused this spike for GTA5?

I know it had a DLC, but that was paid right? GTA5 online seems to be a very polarizing game. Either people hate it or they love it!

Oreoleo

Seems like a huge upswing compared to recent years. Is this just the effect of Dota taking over Asian countries or is it more Western demographics causing the increase?

What has caused this spike for GTA5?

I know it had a DLC, but that was paid right? GTA5 online seems to be a very polarizing game. Either people hate it or they love it!

GTA5 does not have any paid DLC.

Blitzhex

Civ 5 is a great game, but it's getting a bit old now, so I am amazed at the legs it has.

And I thought Path of Exile was way more niche than apparently is. Congratulations to GGG; totally deserved the ongoing success.

Path of poe had some 80-100k concurrent players at its peak, before steam. I wonder what the total concurrent is right now steam+nonsteam.

Goddamn Skyrim's staying power is pretty crazy. I should just say "Bethesda games" since whatever replaces Skyrim will be same. Still though. Game came out 4+ years ago now.

Steel

Banned

This is the truth.

Gets even more true when Endless Legend and Beyond Earth is comapred.

Goddamn Skyrim's staying power is pretty crazy. I should just say "Bethesda games" since whatever replaces Skyrim will be same. Still though. Game came out 4+ years ago now.

If it was just the vanilla game + expansions, it'd be dead. But dem mods.

Nzyme32

I need to give Endless Legend a shot then

Qassim

I'd say sale plus Christmas, plus recent GTA: Online updates, plus Christmas 'events' (e.g. snow) can explain the GTAV boost.

They did change the rules of an active users

This isn't active users however, this is concurrent users.

I wonder if they can cheat the stats...

They could, but I don't see for what purpose they'd do that. They're not outlandish stats considering the growth of Steam over the years which has been visible from outside of the Steam ecosystem so I don't really have any reason to doubt these statistics.

As for the player count stats per game, outside of Valve's games, developers could verify these stats and if they were wrong someone would have said something about it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
didn't realise arma 3 had 40k concurrents. mental. what's the most fun way to play it?

I wish there was a stat that showed some sort of measurement on the performance of the PCs of these 12 million. I'm not trying to make a point here but I bet most of them are playing at med-low settings.

viHuGi

Banned
Amazing numbers, Gaming is bigger than ever in every single platform wich is amazing to see.

And wow at Counter Strike, those are Call of Duty numbers right there on a Single Platform, what a beast!

Now we just need HL3.

Top Bottom