• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 9 Million Concurrent Users on 13th March 2015

Nzyme32

Edit -15th March, not 13th!

GIurLME.png

For contrast:

5.01 Million concurrent users were reached on the 2nd January 2012
6.04 Million concurrent users were reached on the 25th November 2012
7.19 Million concurrent users were reached on the 1st December 2013
7.67 Million concurrent users were reached on the 29th December 2013
8.02 Million concurrent users were reached on the 29th June 2014
8.50 Million concurrent users were reached on the 2nd January 2015

Also here's a look some of the peak stats for anyone that cares:

uVb590S.png

Insert "something something customer service" if old.

Kathian

Banned
Explains whats been happening to the DOTA community sadly; fun and sociable games are getting further and further apart imo.

Qassim

I suspect in part due to the great CSGO tournament that has been going on over the weekend. The final match hit 980k concurrent viewers (twitch (all languages) + in-game GOTV). Because of the amount of people watching in game CSGO, that also hit a new peak at 595,439 players!

Before anyone asks, CS had a major final today (and what a final it was!), that's why the near 600k number. People were viewing it from the client and twitch (which combined brought it to 980k).

Almighty

Yeah, but how many of those are just grandmas who don't know Steam runs on start up. I know a few dozen people who do that.

In all seriousness though it's great Steam has taken off so much. It has allowed games to thrive that people would have otherwise.

Maximo

Explains whats been happening to the DOTA community sadly; fun and sociable games are getting further and further apart imo.

Hahahah! I know that Feel =(. As an Australian I find the Aussie Servers to be soul crushing, aussies are Pricks haha.

Tow

Neo Member
Surprised to see the Total War games doing so well, I always though they had a relatively small player base.

ekgrey

So to be counted, does a user have to be in a game? Because every morning I log in so updates can download but almost never actually have time to play.

Great news for PC gamers (such as myself).

But there is one thing I don't get.
If there are 125 active accounts and we have 9 concurrent users today... How come PC game sales are still so low?

Recent example is The Evil Within (im playing that right now). The game sold millions on consoles, but only around 250k on PC.

paxromana

Banned
So to be counted, does a user have to be in a game? Because every morning I log in so updates can download but almost never actually have time to play.

If it included everyone who wasn't in game, that number would be a lot bigger. Like 30-50+ million.

Kayant

Ctrl f - "Loadout"

Ha that's why it takes long to find games sometimes.

Hmmm I mind check out robocraft again.

Welfare

9 million Steam users at once and almost 1 million concurrent people watched the CSGO ESL finals.

Good day.

surprised TF2 has that many players still

wonder why they haven't moved up to the major leagues

I don't think the TF2 competitive scene is a factor at all? Game doesn't even have competitive MM.

Only a couple of months ago did a few people from the community freak out how dead the whole thing is.

de1irium

If it included everyone who wasn't in game, that number would be a lot bigger. Like 30-50+ million.

The number charted in OP is everyone logged into Steam. The in-game stats are below it.

surprised TF2 has that many players still

wonder why they haven't moved up to the major leagues

Aside from the fact that Valve doesn't really care about competitive TF2 ... comp TF2 is so completely different from pub/casual TF2. You really have to seek it out and develop a separate skill set ... so most of the people in comp TF2 came from from playing competitively in other games.

Nzyme32

If there are 125 active accounts and we have 9 concurrent users today... How come PC game sales are still so low?

Recent example is The Evil Within (im playing that right now). The game sold millions on consoles, but only around 250k on PC.

Cities Skyline did 250k in 24 hours.

The PC folks seem to be focused on completely different games to consoles. PC games do well

StevieP

Banned

More varied tastes. Less AAA (/AA) penetration. Many orders of magnitude more games to choose from

Paxem

Banned

Many reasons. First people wait until sales to buy games and many don't buy a game unless it's like 5-10$. Also more variety of games to spread the sales on and above all F2P games are more popular in PC but that doesn't mean games can't sell well on pc and the best proof is Dark Souls II

Curious about this too. When I was doing more PC gaming I was always logged into Steam from startup.

Well holy shit. Go Steam.

Qassim

Console games don't sell as well on PC. PC games do well on PC.

Curious about this too. When I was doing more PC gaming I was always logged into Steam from startup.

Well holy shit. Go Steam.

You just have to be logged into the client. These are concurrent users.

http://steamcharts.com/

shows 2.5m in-game

30-50m concurrent isn't going to happen anytime soon lol

LoL has 7.5m+

Tagyhag

Different genres will always do better in different platforms. It's where the audience is at.

Another (unfortunate) aspect is that there's about 3-5 games released on Steam every weekday. It just gets harder and harder for devs to stand out.

paxromana

Banned
The number charted in OP is everyone logged into Steam. The in-game stats are below it.

Oh wow right I forgot to put on my thinking brain. I just thought that since there's a massive amount of steam accounts that are active, like what was the last figure, 130 million? 9 million seems pretty low for concurrent users if there's 130 million active.

Anyways, the facts are right there, and they prove me wrong.

Nabs

250k is pretty solid, especially considering the rocky pre-launch where they made it sound like you needed 4gb of VRAM to play it.

There may be a lot of people gaming on PC, but there are so many new games released everyday. The market is not the same as console. Last Tuesday/Wednesday we had 3 big titles released, Ori (Steam/Xbox), Hotline Miami 2 (Steam/PS) and Cities Skylines (Exclusive).

Soon there are going to be more concurrent Steam users than Wii U owners. The growth is massive and I almost can't believe it sometimes.
when it comes out i expect rainbow six to be topping steam for along ass time
loluplay

It was literally my game of E3, but no way that is happening.

I've never even seen Payday 2.

But I am glad that Garrys Mod, Skyrim, Cities EXL, TW Atilla, Mount and Blade Warband, H1Z1, Warframe, X-Com and so on are doing good. Such a diverse list of very popular titles across many genres.

GTA5.. Will it reach top 5? Depending on how the multiplayer is, I wonder if it can really stick. How will the steamworks integration be. GTA4 was a mess on Steam. The worst port I've ever owned. And we've been waiting so long for GTA5. I hope the controls, the steamworks integration and the online is a smoother experience than what was provided on consoles, but with all the problems the heist update has, I have my doubts. Serious doubts.

Such a sad thing considering only a fraction of these guys (including myself) have actually experienced TEW at it's best. Hopefully it gets a current gen exclusive sequel that runs well on consoles AND the PC. So many people missed out on how good TEW could be when it runs right.

More power to those people who can enjoy it despite the framerate, FOV and excessively large black bars.

Denton

I am gonna need to see some receipts for those millions on consoles. I kinda doubt the game broke even 2 million across all platforms.

Top Bottom