• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
In that form factor I really like the NFC Systems S4 Mini as far as small run "boutique" cases go.

I have one those as well. It's very high end as well. Fantastic work. Although, you can't fit a full GPU or a PSU in there. You have to use a DC/DC power supply and use a power brick. Going to make a full AMD build out of it once all there new stuff is released out into the wild... hopefully with a mini itx GPU of their new line of cards.

Lain

NISA's most famous game by an order of magnitude (Disgaea) is a game that is nothing but gags (most introduced in localization) and it's what put them on the map, but it happened before anime people decided to become total nutcases and flip out whenever Matsuhiko-chan doesn't have her omake no desu or gets her vagina bones removed.

Disgaea was localized and published by Atlus though, not NISA.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
NISA's most famous game by an order of magnitude (Disgaea) is a game that is nothing but gags (most introduced in localization) and it's what put them on the map, but it happened before anime people decided to become total nutcases and flip out whenever Matsuhiko-chan doesn't have her omake no desu or gets her vagina bones removed.

I recall this stuff happening in the SNES days with Woolsey'isms and the FF games. I bet the Working Designs folks have similar stories of "fan enthusiasm" from back in the day as well.

Popstar

I have one those as well. It's very high end as well. Fantastic work. Although, you can't fit a full GPU or a PSU in there. You have to use a DC/DC power supply and use a power brick. Going to make a full AMD build out of it once all there new stuff is released out into the wild... hopefully with a mini itx GPU of their new line of cards.
Sweet. Did you get one of the custom colours? That's part of the allure of the S4 mini for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disgaea was localized and published by Atlus though, not NISA.

That's true but I don't think relevant--although I see from my sentence how it looks like I'm only referring to Disgaea 1 and not the whole series--my point is the reason people know the name Nippon Ichi is because of a game with a very goofy and non-literal translation that was widely love and enjoyed. And that's a tradition that continued with Disgaea 2 when NISA had opened. And the localization staff on that game are still working at NISA today--in fact, almost all the staff are. There hasn't been a real change in how they approach localization during that time.

By contrast, there has been a change on the fan side in that a certain group of diehard anime fans have changed how THEY approach localization, increasingly holding companies hostage over the importance of ever keikaku being executed to kanpeki. That's the ahistorical thing.

I recall this stuff happening in the SNES days with Woolsey'isms and the FF games. I bet the Working Designs folks have similar stories of "fan enthusiasm" from back in the day as well.

People have always complained about Bars being turned into Cafes and Spoony Bards and This Guy Are Sick (and Mortal Kombat SNES not having blood and the strippers in Final Fantasy II wearing more clothes), but we didn't have "press outlets" dedicated to badgering people at conventions about it; the very real risk that localization staff will have their personal information published if they are seen to be at odds with the community; and the kind of hostage-taking we see today.

we're talking about disgaea? make sure you buy disgaea 2 people

its the worst disgaea game imo but fuck it, i gotta shill, and also after this one we'll get one of the really good ones.

tmarg

we're talking about disgaea? make sure you buy disgaea 2 people

its the worst disgaea game imo but fuck it, i gotta shill, and also after this one we'll get one of the really good ones.

I could swear people were saying to wait for two instead of getting one. Are any of them actually good? I'm confused.

patapuf

to add to this: literall translations are rarely good. Especially for humorous stuff.

I'd understand the demands if these games were super dense works where every word and scentence is carefully chosen and full of nuance - but they are not.

xezuru

It's not unplayable, but it does very much feel very different and needs readjusting to, like the difference between 30 and 60fps. I kind of loathe the advent of high refresh rate monitors. Things were so much simpler when I could just look for a nice low lag IPS, but I've yet to find a 120+hz 1080p monitor that doesn't look washed out or have bad colours. I don't consider myself especially picky with this sort of thing as I'm fine with a good looking TN, but I've had no such luck in finding a high refresh rate monitor that doesn't also tank image quality.

Do you have go tos at the moment? I don't think i'll need a new monitor in a while, but having a 144hz low input lag one on deck just in case would be nice.

Played Tales of Berseria demo, never was a big JRPGs fan, but this game looks and plays interesting. Combat is weird, but story pieces are seems very well written. Unfortunately i'll be traveling at it's release day so i guess i'll wait for reviews and first impressions and maybe buy it then.

zkylon

zkylewd
I could swear people were saying to wait for two instead of getting one. Are any of them actually good? I'm confused.
i only played disgaea 1 here on pc and honestly, i'm not a fan

the story and characters and all that is lovely but as a game it's really grindy (not as grindy as it's infamous for, specially if you're just doing the story stuff, but it's still grindy), some missions are like big fuck yous from the developers that are like "hey, here are these enemies that deal 3x dmg and take 3x less dmg for not particular reason" and it just doesn't feel that deep or interesting to me

i stayed through the end cos the story is really good but honestly i wish there was a good anime version (sadly i hear the anime is terrible) to do that instead

or like a better game, ofc

Hektor

Man, I think Final Fantasy XIV will be the first FF game I finish, ironic considering I own quite a few and nearly beat FF3 when I was younger only to be walled off at the final battle because it's 5 damn boss fights in a row.

It's actually 6 + a 7th joke boss in a row as there is now way to save between the final and the penultimate dungeon.

Arminsc

I just completed Tyranny. So.. is it common for act 3 to last less than 10 minutes? Because that's what just happened. Abrupt ending is one way of expressing my opinion right now. The act structure is useless in that game, act 1 is some hours, act 2 is 95% of the game and act 3 is, at least in my case, countable in minutes.

Despite that, I did enjoy the game. More than Pillars of Eternity even, at times I almost felt shades of Planescape Torment. Other than act 3 missing from the game, the game was also very linear. On the other hand the game had plenty of tough decisions to make and often without "good" option to choose from. However there was very little chance of getting lost or choosing your own route. Linear, but interesting decisions.

Yeah, I finished it earier this week and noticed the same. It was like 20-30 min for me, it's odd, but I liked it a lot anyways.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
couple of questions about Witches and Knives DLCs for Dishonored:

1 - Are they pretty self containted? I dont remember most of Dishonored
2 - Is it easy to get into it since I havent played Dishonored since 2012. Like does it explain the systems again and shit.
3 - About how long are they more or less?

Hey thts three questions, I lied.

xezuru

2 - Is it easy to get into it since I havent played Dishonored since 2012. Like does it explain the systems again and shit.

1-They follow a side kind of important character of Dishonored, that said the story is pretty much completely separate for this character.
2-I'm not sure if it does any of that but the powers are a little bit tweaked and imo a bit easier to wrap the brain around, if you're okay at stealth games you're prolly okay here.
3-The story DLCs are 4 missions each, Knife of Dunwall then Brigmore Witches are both the same story of the same character.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, they are. They serve as a bridge to 2 and aside from a couple of flashbacks don't really overlap with the main campaign. I played through them a little over a year ago and I think there are some tooltips/tutorial screens to help you reacclimatise. Each lasts ~four hours.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, they are. They serve as a bridge to 2 and aside from a couple of flashbacks don't really overlap with the main campaign. I played through them a little over a year ago and I think there are some tooltips/tutorial screens to help you reacclimatise. Each lasts ~four hours.

EACH is 4 hours? whut, I thought they were like 1 hour each lol, thats awesome.

Those who recommended VA-11 HALL-A, its totally legit. Very chilling atmo and charming, nuanced characters. Great music too. Perfect alternation past my 70 hours M&B marathon. Its hardly a gameplay game, more an interactive read, but a really good and mature one.

I have some games to give away from the past two humbles, i didnt do that before so is there any guide to this?

Oh, and Mount and Blade is the greatest (RP)G of all time.

JaseC

Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver has been removed from the store.

It's still up on Humble and GamersGate for the time being.

Is it worth owning?

hotwheelswbdf8sgj.jpg

Deques

Started playing Pony Island without knowing what is it. What the heck is this game? A virus that is taking over a computer?

omg_mjd

Already have both games in my library (of course) but can't decide which one to download. Which version to play if:

* My laptop has an i3 and Intel HD 520 graphics, and I'm on Windows 10
* I'd like to play with a Steam Controller
* I prioritize frame rate over image quality (I'll play through a game on my laptop in 800x600 if I can get constant 60 FPS)

Help me choose, SteamGAF.

Danielsan

Finally got around to BIT.TRIP Runner 2. Despite really loving the first game on Wiiware, I never really got into the sequel, outside of playing a couple of levels here and there..until this week that is. Finished the game this morning and it's such a well crafted game. I've been completely addicted all week. I will probably finish up getting perfects on the last couple of levels today and leave it at that, but I definitely won't rule out picking the game back up later this year in order to finish every level on hard.

Already have both games in my library (of course) but can't decide which one to download. Which version to play if:

* My laptop has an i3 and Intel HD 520 graphics, and I'm on Windows 10
* I'd like to play with a Steam Controller
* I prioritize frame rate over image quality (I'll play through a game on my laptop in 800x600 if I can get constant 60 FPS)

Help me choose, SteamGAF.

Id say the original one, im still running my 530 i5 gfx as im waiting for the card, and i have problems to run m&b warband or resident evil 4. So go with the older one id say.

Finally got around to BIT.TRIP Runner 2. Despite really loving the first game on Wiiware, I never really got into the sequel, outside of playing a couple of levels here and there..until this week that is. Finished the game this morning and it's such a well crafted game. I've been completely addicted all week. I will probably finish up getting perfects on the last couple of levels today and leave it at that, but I definitely won't rule out picking the game back up later this year in order to finish every level on hard.

Played it for about 4 hours myself, but it hasn't clicked for me. It's something about the art style that doesn't work for me. But it's a bit fun to play this game as Psychonaut-Raz or the Spelunky guy. :)

Rhaknar

Yeah, but I never stopped to ask myself if the game were actually worth owning. ;)

you never stop to ask if ANY game is worth owning.

or to put a positive spin on it, isnt every game worth owning for you?

Rhaknar

Haha, maybe once upon a time.

oh did you finally break like most of us? what was your breaking point? mine was 4k, I actually shook my head at myself and thought "the fuck am I doing?"

kagamin

I'm enjoying FFXIV's ARR storyline, it's pretty fun but I've heard Heavensward is better so I'm looking forward to playing that after I get through all the story content before it.

Rhaknar

Mine was 3k, I actually stopped buying all the crappy Indie Gala bundles.

actually mine was probably 3k aswell (that seems to be the magical number for many people), since I hit 4k recently.

JaseC

oh did you finally break like most of us? what was your breaking point? mine was 4k, I actually shook my head at myself and thought "the fuck am I doing?"

I more or less stopped last March as I was planning on travelling to the US, in part to catch The Crucible, but that didn't pan out and by the time I realised I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford it a bunch of things had been removed, which eliminated any interest I had in resuming.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, JaseC stopped collecting. Well, stopped relatively speaking to the hauls of yesteryear, I'm pretty sure he still buys much more games than the average user :p

Knurek

I'm getting graphic glitches in The Room Two using latest NVIDIA driver.
Anytime you zoom in on an object, the whole background gets corrupted.
Looking at items in your inventory leaves trails whenever you rotate them (something like motion blur that doesn't get deleted).
Is this a known bug? Google-Fu can't really help me here. :(

Pixieking

Banned
3QZFR-0BJXN-T9J7H

No idea what that was, but it's already taken.

I'd sell half of my library if I could. Bad decisions all around.

Yeah. I wouldn't even mind being given a fraction of what I spent if I could at least get something in return for removing from my account. 1300-odd games on my account. Most of them are bundle trash, but there's a good couple of hundred games (mostly indies) that I bought thinking I'd play them, and never will.

Ah, well, live and learn.

kagamin

It's so weird, I feel like buying fewer games this year for some reason, even though I have more money thanks to my job, guess I'll just spend it on MMO game time then once I get everything I want. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ludens

Banned
No idea what that was, but it's already taken.

It was Broadsword Age of Chivalry.

It's so weird, I feel like buying fewer games this year for some reason, even though I have more money thanks to my job, guess I'll just spend it on MMO game time then once I get everything I want. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well, it's not that someone forces you to spend money at every cost. If there's something you want and you can buy, go for it, otherwise don't buy stuff just for the sake of it.

Anyway, how long are AC Chronicles games? Are they good?

Rhaknar

these VA-11 cards are sexy, sold another for .35. thats almost 1€ back of the 10 the bundle cost

derFeef

Yeah. I wouldn't even mind being given a fraction of what I spent if I could at least get something in return for removing from my account. 1300-odd games on my account. Most of them are bundle trash, but there's a good couple of hundred games (mostly indies) that I bought thinking I'd play them, and never will.

Ah, well, live and learn.

Yup. Also cancelling my Humble Monthly. I have now 3 copies of Vermintide and most of the games there are ones I already have. It's just not good for my wallet and nerves...
edit: apparently I bought a yearly subscription, lol.

kagamin

Well, it's not that someone forces you to spend money at every cost. If there's something you want and you can buy, go for it, otherwise don't buy stuff just for the sake of it.

I feel like it's also partially me no being all too excited about games coming out this year, like sure I know I'll probably enjoy some of the games coming out for sure, but I can't see myself buying them, maybe because I feel like I won't really play them, it happened to me with Dragon Quest VII and that might have burned me out honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom