• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PykJEYp.png

Welcome to the June 2015 NeoGAF Steam thread! We mostly talk about Steam, but we also talk about other things.
ogGlkLY.jpg

Kep1vHy.png

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition - corrosivefrost
DMC4 SE, a remaster of sorts for the 2008 DMC4 title for current generation consoles, is also coming to PC this month. PC gamers already had an incredible port of DMC4 with features not present in the PS3/x360 versions of the game, such as Turbo Mode as well as a community which provided a lot of cool mods. So why should you care about the re-release, you ask?

While console editions are definitely getting the most out of this remaster, PC gamers are still getting a lot of new content to be hyped about. The game now boasts FIVE unique playable characters instead of the original TWO. Dante and Nero return, mostly untouched, from the original DMC4 release. Vergil returns in a more polished and fleshed out incarnation of hist DMC3 SE self. Trish, once playable in DMC2 as a reskin of Dante, now has her own unique moveset and playstyle which takes a lot of influence from her appearance in UMvC3. Finally, Lady from DMC3 is playable for the first time ever with a focus on keepaway and ranged combat.

While there aren't any new bosses or levels from the original campaign, you can now enjoy a fresh spin on the game by taking control of Vergil throughout the entirety of the main campaign. Lady and Trish will split the main campaign between them, much like Nero and Dante did in the original. And while not everyone cares about achievements, Steam achievements will finally make their debut in this game.

As any fan of the DMC series knows, the real draw here is the fast paced, deep, character action combat system. That's still here and now it has the added bonus of three new playable characters to enjoy in the campaign and bloody palace mode. Besides, if it sells well, maybe it will get DMC5 greenlit for development and we can hopefully get some of questions about Vergil's disappearance and Nero's origins answered.

2bqsVpX.png

Batman: Arkham Knight - Dr Dogg
Set one year after the events of Arkham City poor old Batman is struggling with the void left by the absence of his nemesis, The Joker. Without him terrorism Gotham’s citizens the city has never been safer, with crime on the decline. But not everyone feels the same remorse as Bats does with his other adversaries, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, The Riddler et all seeing a chance to unite with the ultimate goal of killing Batman. But a bigger danger in threatening Gotham as on Halloween night Scarecrow threatens Gotham with a new and more deadly strain of his fear toxin with bombs planted throughout the city that forces the evacuation of some 6 million citizens [guess that’s how they’ll account for fuck all civvies in the game then]. This leaves the city with just the criminals running rampant making Commissioner Gordon and the GCPD outnumbered. This ruckus also brings Azrael to Gotham City feeling he is the saviour Gotham deserves, prophesying that the night will consume Batman. If that is not enough Batman also faces a new threat in the mysterious Arkham Knight with his highly militarised army, forcing the Dark Knight to develop new crime fighting technology.

So Rocksteady are back after 4 years from Arkham City. As described above the playspace now is Gotham City itself which is to take in various iconic landmarks (some detailed in teaser trailers) and seems to be much bigger in scope than Arkham City. To cover the ground more quickly the Batmobile makes its first Arkhamverse appearance which can also transform into a light tank to tackle the Arkham Knight’s mobile infantry. Also another new feature is a new single player character swap mechanic Rocksteady are naming Dual Play. This allows Batman to swap to one of his allies, Robin, Nightwing or Catwoman, mid combat or even execute tag team finishers. Combat also has a few new additions to the brawler style we know over the past couple of titles. You can now set up the fight as you glide in, allowing to fire gadgets in the air, Batclaw a goon towards you before you even hit the ground to then land an elbow right into the guy's chops. Gadgets feature too like the Disruptor has been upgraded to take out tanks now if Batman is feeling brave as well as returning favourites like Batarangs, Explosive Gel, the Cryptographic Sequencer and more.

Plus there will be challenge maps, goofy skins, new Batmobile races and tank challenges and other distractions to keep you occupied.

RfqiTl1.png

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - jshackles
This month Square Enix brings us the first expansion pack to the increasingly popular Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Fans of this massively multiplayer online game are in for a treat as this expansion promises to raise the level cap from 50 to 60, add three new job classes, and introduce flying mounts to the world of Eorzea. The expansion also touts a new 50 hour quest line that takes place across nine new zones that are each roughly twice as big as the zones we're used to - so not only are we getting the ability to fly but we're also getting interesting levels to fly through. We're also getting eight new dungeons to explore. Excited yet?
Plz be.

Of course this expansion comes with a few caveats. The first being that you must already own the original Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. If you want to play Heavensward on Steam, you'll need the Steam release of the original, because the Steam release of Heavensward is incompatible with the non-Steam release of ARR. Secondly, you'll need an active subscription to Final Fantasy XIV to play Heavensward's content and unfortunately (unlike the original) purchasing the expansion pack includes no additional playtime credit. Finally, Heavensward's in-game content is almost exclusively accessible only to players who have completed the storyline of the original.

So if you're a current Final Fantasy XIV player who's beaten the end-game content and are looking for something more, Heavensward is easy to recommend. If you don't have an active sub, don't have the Steam version of ARR, and haven't finished the main questline, you should probably wait to pick this one up until you're ready.

pQk5Pw1.png

SUPERHOT - uzzy
SUPERHOT is a first person shooter, developed by SUPERHOT Team. Playing as an unnamed agent fighting against enemies bent on killing you, you must work your way through a series of minimalist office blocks, fighting your way through your enemies with limited ammunition, with time as your only ally. Time moves only when you do.

SUPERHOT (and yes, you need to use all caps for this) looks really unique, using a fantastic minimalist aesthetic to great effect, and a colour pallet limited to red for enemies and bullet trails, black for guns and bullets, and white for everything else. But it's the defining mechanic that most makes the game interesting to me. As the developers succinctly put it, 'Time moves only when you do.' This turns what would otherwise be a straight forward FPS into a puzzle or strategy game, where you have to carefully plan out your movement to dodge bullets and take down your foes. SUPERHOT is the Matrix's bullet time, mixed with Mirror's Edge's colour style and Braid's puzzle mechanics. SUPERHOT is super hot.

fK9Pi8V.png

Universe Sandbox ² - jshackles
The original Universe Sandbox was great but really limited in scope. Essentially, it was a gravity simulator - which is cool because it let you do some amazing things and load some really cool cosmic "what if" scenarios. Universe Sandbox² expands on the original by adding in other factors such as plantary climate simulation, chemical simulations, stellar evolution, terraforming, dark matter simulations, and greatly improved collisions. If you were a fan of the original Universe Sandbox, you're going to want to pick this up.

While not a "game" in the traditional sense, the original game was fun to play around with. Even if you only have a cursory knowledge of planetary and stellar physics, there's a lot to do here as well. If you're like me and have a love of science and a deep understanding of astrophysics, you'll still find that Universe Sandbox² is a great way to concoct amzingly elaborate "what if" scenarios that produce detailed and visually stunning simulations. On top of all of that, Universe Sandbox² seems to be an even better teaching tool than the original game, which was released to schools for free. I found the original Universe Sandbox to be a great teaching tool for my high-school aged children, and with the bredth of content available in the new release it's easy to see how this could be used effectively in a classroom setting.

JdNzx54.png

The Silent Age - Tizoc
The Silent Age was originally released for mobile. It is a Point n' Click adventure game set in the 70s, where you play as Joe, a janitor who discovers a dying old man. The old man entrusts Joe with saving mankind from extinction with the use of a time machine device. Joe must use the device to travel between time periods and prevent mankind's extinction.

While not the deepest PnC game ever made, it's still a good game to play if you want a 'take a break game' or just want a simple PnC to pass the time. The Steam release will feature voice overs, but keeps its simplistic but vibrant visual presentation.

RxU2EtF.png

Ronin - uzzy
Ronin is a turn-based action platformer, developed by independent developer Tomasz Waclawek, and published by Devolver Digital. Seek your vengeance as a Ronin heroine, striking down the five shadowy figures who killed your father. Move skilfully through the shadows and plan out your attacks, dispatching your foes with a variety of tools and weapons, such as razor wire and holograms. Take up your katana, and embark on a roaring rampage of revenge.

This is not Gunpoint. This is infact so not Gunpoint that a helpful hint appears during the game to remind you that this is not, infact, Gunpoint. Which is an important distinction to bare in mind as you play through the game. Sure, it takes Gunpoint's jump mechanics, but unlike Gunpoint, Ronin focuses on action, with stealth only really being in the game in order for you to get into a position to launch a surprise attack. It's really quite fun to make your entrance by jumping off a roof, throwing your grappling hook out and grab onto a wall, to swing through a window pane and throw your katana into a guard. I've found that the turn-based action system is rather well put together, giving you the time to plan your attack pattens, and the flexibility to execute a variety of them. One hit kills you, so you have to jump from guard to guard, knocking them out and slowly killing them off, all while dodging gun and katana attacks from the rest of the guards. Aesthetically, the game looks pretty pleasing, with the locked 30fps only slightly taking away from the futuristic/cyberpunk style the game is going for.

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

ymZUPIW.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.

hfRPttG.jpg

• Steam Support - The place to contact steam if you have a problem with the service.
  • Steam Trading Cards - Gain money by selling cards or craft them for cosmetic items.
  • Add funds to your Steam Wallet - You can also buy gift cards at most major gaming retailers.
  • Steam Mobile - Use Steam while away from the PC. Supports iOS and Android and has been recently updated.
  • Big Picture Mode - Lets you run Steam on your TV in a more convenient manner.
  • Steam Family Sharing - Share your Steam account with family and friends.
  • Steam Community - A hub of what other steam users have created or are discussing.
  • Steam Workshop - A showcase of Mods for games on Steam. Many are free, but some you now have to pay for.
  • Steam Greenlight - Vote for games that want to be on the Steam store.
  • Steam Stats - Check stats for the top 100 most played games on Steam.

TNJTePu.jpg

410axy1.jpg

HqIhxQF.jpg

Previous Threads:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Modbot is now linked to this thread.

jshackles

robin and the other guy look like smashing pumpkings band members

Plus Batman looks a little cross-eyed
(try unseeing that!)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Dr Dogg said:
But a bigger danger in threatening Gotham as on Halloween night Scarecrow threatens Gotham with a new and more deadly strain of his fear toxin with bombs planted throughout the city that forces the evacuation of some 6 million citizens [guess that’s how they’ll account for fuck all civvies in the game then].

Character models and animations are difficult to create for a studio like Rocksteady though. Please understand.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
June is the month where I idle 400 games worth of cards and sell turd anime foils to make buckets of cash. #americandream #sharktank #livinlavidaloca

Pachimari

Some great games there, I'm definitely in for Heavensward!

Batman can wait for a sale, since I haven't even completed Arkham Asylum.

So we'll cut this at 10th of June right? Who's doing the sale thread?
I think this thread is staying open during the sales. We did that the last time around.

zkylon

zkylewd
d 4 in the coffee

I wonder why nobody wrote about D4. Could it be that nobody played it?
i don't think jshackles poked ppl for recommendations so i forgot, but might've done one if i reminded about it ;_;

for the future: neogaf > health

jshackles

I wonder why nobody wrote about D4. Could it be that nobody played it?

Japanese games don't sell too well on PC, obviously.

Let's start this month.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mavromatis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Victoria II -- MB-B199D3A9F52F7D35 - Taken by Loptous. 5 entrants total.

t1433101149z1.png

June is the month where I idle 400 games worth of cards and sell turd anime foils to make buckets of cash. #americandream #sharktank #livinlavidaloca

Maybe there will be another Summer Camp, this would be great time with all these new "items" it can push a lot of game for Steam. And may be enjoyable.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Also idling is awful when games have ridiculously long drop times. It's been four hours and I still have three cards left to go in Xenonauts.

Knurek

June is the month I finish L.A. Noire.
In all honesty, it will be a month when I finish 10 or so other games as well

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Maybe it's just because the Origins model was so good, but Arkham Knight Batman looks incredibly odd. I think it's the ears.

And with the use of Shark Tank over Dragon's Den, the Americanization of Stump is complete.

Sch1sm

Damn Steam sale is coming too soon, I still need to finish Witcher 3

I've barely scratched things I bought during the winter, forget Witcher 3, haha. This is the season of endless backlog additions. My wallet isn't ready, I'm not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom