• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I'm gonna go a year without buying any new games (besides FIFA 18, that's the exception) because the games aren't going anywhere and I got enough of a backlog to last me the next year so I should be fine.

Can't wait to go through some of them. Already got 20+ games that I plan on going through.

Wok

Steamdb has a good top list with a sane ranking system.

It has Contradiction in the top 100 so you know it's quality.

Yeah, I'm looking at that list right now. I'm extracting the Wilson score, the number of owners, the number of players, and the all-time peak of concurrent players, as I am writing this.

A gem should have a good Wilson score.

Now, what is a hidden gem? Does it have a low number of owners/players/peak?

And done for the first thousand of top rated games, which gives every game with a Wilson score at least equal to 89.42%:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...77b5eb7/thousand_top_rated_games_on_steam.txt

Now, define a "hidden gem" with a simple formula and you have a list.

Pachimari

If I go through all of the Assassin's Creed games will I have a hard time following the story? I heard it gets some kind of convoluted around Assassin's Creed III or Black Flag? Will I need to read up on something online to not get confused?

Kyougar

A. Story.
Sure.

there is a ton of shit visual novels. The ones that are listed there are highly regarded by the buyers. People know what they are getting.

Only the humble bundle impact is not known currently. could either be that the score will slowly tank or it will do nothing, because most games in there wont be played and scored.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Very glad to read this impression. I just set up the game myself and set up my controls on the Elite controller. It'll take a little time getting used to, but I can't wait to visit Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus. I never completed it but intend on doing so before Origins comes out. I was also surprised by the intro and what a dick Altair was to Malik and Kadar. I didn't remember that and thought he would have been a favorite assassin of mine, but if he keeps up this attitude I'll grow to hate him lol.
It get's worse. He'll kill anyone he talks to that isn't a citizen in distress or fellow assassin.

Altaïr is changing but not really developing. Killing the men on his list is making him talk and react more humble and less selfish because of, well, reasons. Fuck if I know.
It all feels a bit sudden. I'm sure there's a lot happening in his head but it would be nice if the player could be a bit better informed.

The story is interesting, though. Especially the Desmond stuff.
I really don't trust Altaïr's boss.

EDIT: Did you turn on MSAA through the .ini?

Pachimari

EDIT: Did you turn on MSAA through the .ini?

Nope? Didn't know about this.
I'm in the root folder but I don't see an ini file?

Btw, do you play on DX9 or DX10? I can't take screenshots while playing in DX9.

BafrIWQ.jpg

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Nope? Didn't know about this.
I'm in the root folder but I don't see an ini file?

Btw, do you play on DX9 or DX10? I can't take screenshots while playing in DX9.
DX10. I'm playing the Uplay version so I have no trouble taking screenshots, since i'm not taking any. :p

The .ini is in Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed
Change Multisampling to =1 (2xMSAA) or =2 (4xMSAA).

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed

Javier23

Banned
If I go through all of the Assassin's Creed games will I have a hard time following the story? I heard it gets some kind of convoluted around Assassin's Creed III or Black Flag? Will I need to read up on something online to not get confused?
I hate the AC series gameplay with all my heart (Origins is looking a bit better), but I did manage to play from the first AC all the way through to AC3 mostly because the idea of a single continuos narrative through such a long series spanning so many different periods, locations and characters seemed interesting to me even though I wasn't expecting nothing too great. The plot is generally speaking pretty simple, but they've crammed so much stuff in there that skipping a game or not playing the games for a while could certainly get you a bit lost. But no, I'd say you shouldn't have any issues for the most part.

I will warn you that my experiment playthrough of the series was cut short at the end of AC3 when it became absolutely clear that Ubi Soft had stopped giving a shit about this entire narrative they had been building up for years, and so if they didn't care I wasn't gonna be the one sticking with a series that I actually dislike to play. At this point unless you're in it because you enjoy playing the older games I'd just skip through straight to the ones you may be more interested in playing within the series (the Ezio games are probably the best, and I've heard good things about Black Flag and Syndicate).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm playing the Steam version. And I can't find this. How do I turn on hidden files so that I can access the AppData folder?

View -> Options -> Change folder and search options -> View -> Click "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Pachimari

View -> Options -> Change folder and search options -> View -> Click "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Yeah I figured it out. Thanks for the help. Also got the game to work in Direct X 10 with Vista SP2 compatibility mode I think.

[edit] Hmm, game crashes in compatibility mode, so I'm gonna turn that off and see if I can run it normally. Although, now it doesn't use the control scheme I've configured for my Xbox Elite controller.

[edit] I fixed the controls.

So I asked this yesterday, is there any easy way to see what games you own in a bundle? Either through enhanced steam or some other way. Right now I individually look each game up in Steam before I buy a bundle.

Excelsior

reminder that the Isaac sale ends in ~3 hours! my advice included below.

some advice for people on the fence about Binding of Isaac, which is at a historic low in price atm on Steam:

get it. this is *the* roguelike built on fun item interactions, depth of gameplay as far as the eye can see (so. many. unlockables.), and dev/community interactions (they just released the second booster pack of community content).

at least start with Rebirth - that game by itself can last a few hundred hours. There is also an active modding community, though the different versions (Rebirth vs. Afterbirth vs. Afterbirth+) can break mods (that is, a mod for the Rebirth version likely won't work for the AFterbirth_ version, though it's easy enough to check/uncheck the DLC on Steam). The biggest mod for Rebirth alone is probably Antibirth, and it's free. If you ever do feel tired of Rebirth, then it might be worth picking up the first DLC, Afterbirth, which is widely favored. If you somehow need more content after that, then consider Afterbirth+ (which you can only buy once you have both Rebirth and Afterbirth). Afterbirth+ was immensely disappointing when first released, which is why you see a lot of negative reviews. The devs listened to feedback and shored it up, and it's now a decent, meaty addition.

Good luck, everyone. Poop well, cry often. Feel free to ask any questions if you're still on the fence, but this is a game with an amazing value in terms of dollars/hour.

(here's the wiki, which will save you a lot of trouble)

reminder that the Isaac sale ends in ~3 hours! my advice included below.

I have 300 hours in the original, I now have them all but the new one has so much stuff I am so confused. Like "greed" mode and the like as well as angel and devil doors and other things. I really have to get back into it again and just go in with a clean slate.

Pachimari

I now remember how Assassin's Creed plays. Oh boy am in for repetition. Earsdrop, pick pocket, investigate, beat information out of people and such, return to the brotherhood, get to your target and assassinate him. 9 of them... so far. Although I don't think it's as long a game as the sequel.

The controls seems a bit clunky and finicky, and I haven't quite grasped the combat system yet resulting in a lot of deaths to my regret. I gotta get the hang of the parrying as that seems like a key part to it all.

I did assassinate my first target and it was all by accident. I wanted to attack a guard and suddenly I was on top of Tamir sending him to heaven.

And like someone said, I don't quite trust Al Mualim. He seems to be up to something and I think he is blackmailing me. Anyway, I'll do his bidding an remove every name from the list.

Just checked howlongtobeat.com and it seems like I should dedicate 15 hours for this game. Which will probably be 20 hours knowing how slow I can be at games.

Freezard

So I recently started tracking my collection on isthereanydeal for Steam games... is there any way to make it notify you only when a game's price is at an all-time low?

Maxwood

I now remember how Assassin's Creed plays. Oh boy am in for repetition.

Turn of your minimap and just explore! You only have to do two or three of those investigations anyway.
It helps to fight of some of the repetition, if that's something that bothers you.

And yeah, the climbing is somewhat clunky. And really slow compared to later games. I kinda like that.

Wok

Trying to find hidden gems: I have ranked the top rated games based on a simple criterion (Wilson score times a decreasing function of the players total). There is one parameter (alpha) which can be tweaked. When alpha goes to infinity, the ranking is solely based on the Wilson score. So, basically, the higher the alpha, the less hidden the games. 😏 The top 20 games are shown below for different values of alpha. I say the games corresponding to alpha equal to 1.0 are pretty well-hidden. 😄 What do you think?

Almost considered hidden gems:

Hidden gems:

Truly hidden gems:

Pachimari

You only have to do two or three of those investigations anyway.

You mean I only have to do 3 of those small objectives to get access to my target every time? Are there more than 9 targets in the game? I guess the 9 names on the list is only for the first memory, and then I'll unlock another memory block and do another list again?

Vlad

I have 300 hours in the original, I now have them all but the new one has so much stuff I am so confused. Like "greed" mode and the like as well as angel and devil doors and other things. I really have to get back into it again and just go in with a clean slate.

Devil doors were in the original game, from what I remember, but I think the angel ones are new.

Greed mode (and the harder version, Greedier mode) are just seperate modes you can play instead of doing a run through the game. It's pretty self-explanatory once you take a few attempts at it.

What I love about Binding of Isaac is that while there are so many little things you can do, it's entirely possible to discover them all on your own with enough playtime. There's secret rooms that you can discover by bombing certain walls, but you don't even know about them when you start playing the game. Eventually, though, you're going to run into an enemy that attacks with explosions and they're going to accidentally blow a hole in one of those walls for you.

Strider

Nex Machina reviews looking great so far.

Gotta preorder this after work. I hope folks do the same...gotta save Housemarque arcade games from fading away.

Just preordered this recently myself. Great reviews always help but it's HouseMarque so it's pretty much a given I'd enjoy it no matter what...

The busy year continues... My wallet contines to cry lol At least it gets about a month break before Pyre and Splatoon 2 hit...

Aaron D.

Trying to find hidden gems: I have ranked the top rated games based on a simple criterion (Wilson score times a function of the players total) and the top 20 are shown below. 😏

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337720 09 The Sea Will Claim Everything

I say these are pretty well-hidden. In bold are the ones which I knew beforehand. 😄 What do you think?

I think I need to earmark Sea for the upcoming Steam sale.

I remember Waypoint's Danielle Riendeau talking the game up for several weeks in a row (on one of her Idle Thumbs Network podcasts, if memory serves).

Maxwood

You mean I only have to do 3 of those small objectives to get access to my target every time? Are there more than 9 targets in the game? I guess the 9 names on the list is only for the first memory, and then I'll unlock another memory block and do another list again?

I mean those small objectives before you can go assassinate some poor schmuck. First couple of Memory Blocks you only have to do two of them.
I'm currently playing (at the end of) Memory Block 3 and now I have to finish three of them before each assasination mission.

Are there more then 9 targets? I don't know, i'm playing through for the first time as well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom