• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
c9J6Dj9.png

Welcome to the May 2015 NeoGAF Steam thread! Come for the game talk, stay for the waifus.
ogGlkLY.jpg

yg2uF0D.png

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Dr Dogg
In the days of DLC this is an oddity, a Standalone Expansion (from Bethesda no less), Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a prequel to last year’s Wolfenstein: The New Order. It actually features two story’s that are in some way interconnected and set in 1946 before the events of The New Order.

The first has B.J. Blazkowicz breaking into Castle Wolfenstein to steal the coordinates to Deathshead’s Compound (which is the first location in The New Order) where as the second takes place in Wulfburg where B.J. meets a Nazi archaeologist who seems to have an interest in various artefacts the hold dark and ancient power. There should be plenty of callbacks to the earlier titles in the series and it does sound like some the mysticism and occult elements might make a showing too.

There are also some new weapons as well as some of the old favs, dual wielding possibilities and attachments. Some of the new weapons are the pipe which is used as a melee weapon also pulls double duty in traversal allowing B.J. to scale specific walls and there’s also a bolt action rifle, a pistol that fires rockets as well as a few others.

So far from what I’ve seen it looks like a good mix of the movement and shooting mechanics of The New Order with a B-Movie aesthetic that the reveal trailer really played up to. I see it as the Wolfenstein’s version of Undead Nightmare. It doesn't require you to own The New Order and being a prequel telling the events leading up to last years game you don't need any knowledge of that to jump in either.

tdLb4G2.png

Magicka 2 - MRORANGE
Magicka was more famous for being a glitch mess when it came out and for being the most discounted game of all time on Steam. However if you were lucky enough to have 3 other friends who also owned a copy you would know why this game has such a underground cult status with gamers. Magical 2 tries to extend that magic by being the first true sequel to this self-parody classic, it’s kept the gameplay rooted with it’s fantastic spell casting system with minor new teaks with artefacts that changes play styles as you play each level. The humour that drove the first game is still there with returning characters such as Vlad and self reference humour littered throughout the game. In all respects however, you should only pick up this game if you have friends, this is no knock on the game but it’s a game that has to be played with friends or its just pointless to own it. There’s nothing like blasting your friend by accident when he’s running away from a giant dragon or a friend casting a meteor spell that ultimately spells doom for the whole squad. I’m excited for Magicka 2 and co-op gamers should be too.

xapdODp.png

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - zkylon
the latest installment of the witcher series and (possibly -who are you kidding cdpr) the great finale to geralt's story. it promises to deliver once again on the quality and attention to detail we've come to expect from cdpr, this time in a massive open world with all the fancy open world stuff: tons of side quests, improved monster hunting, crafting, exploring and barbering. there's no barbering in skyrim kids, not without mods there isn't.

also it looks gorgeous as all fuck

if you're a newcomer, the witcher games are an action rpg series that follow infamous geralt of rivia, one of the few surviving witchers, monster hunters born out of brutal training and magical mutations, as he goes about in his adventures in the game-of-thrones-like morally corrupt temeria, unraveling conspiracies, killing ugly things and plowing everyone that the game allows you to. plowing is sex btw

it'll probably be an enjoyable game on its own but highly recommended to play the previous games in the series first since plot is so important in the series and savegames carry on for minor differences, but also because they're fantastic. they're pretty long games so don't expect burning through them in a week tho!

xUgbc3i.png

Neon Struct - turfster
NEON STRUCT is a magnificent, fun, non-violent stealth game from the creator of Eldritch, only this time instead of a procedurally generated set of dungeons, it's a more structured, narrative experience. Use your wits and your gadgets to get in, get the job done and get out as Jillian Cleary, an ex-spy on the run in a dystopian surveillance state. The game oozes with 80s cyberpunk atmosphere and the design aesthetic fits the core gameplay and the story to a tee. Like most of the best stealth games, there are mulitple paths to success and you get graded at the end of each mission, guaranteeing replayability to get that elusive S rank for every mission.

fUj9Rss.png

Axiom Verge - toddhunter
Take Metroid and ... well just take Metroid and call it Axiom Verge and you have a very Metroid like game. Just by looking at a few screens you can tell instantly what this game is about and what it is attempting to deliver. You go left, you go right, you check your map and then you get stuck. Then you ignore what little story there is, find a new weapon and proceed on your journey.

Fight a boss, have some laughs and generally get to the end of the game.

Where Axiom Verge stands out is in the quality of its execution. Most things feel "thought out" in that weapons are generally surprising or useful (with only one OP one), the bosses are impressive and put up a good fight and the environments are varied and have plenty of "tricks" that will keep you returning with that new cool tool to find another health upgrade.

It isn't quite the modern Metroid we all want, but it is as probably as close as we are going to get.

9Mu7ZkG.png

Invisible, Inc. - Uzzy
Invisible, Inc. is a turn-based stealth/tactics game, with roguelike elements, developed by Klei Entertainment. Lead your team of secret agents on procedurally generated operations all around the world, and attempt to complete a number of different objectives, such as extracting agents, obtaining new gear and upgrades for your agents, data programs to aid with hacking, stealing cold hard cash or discovering secret information. All to launch one final mission in order to save your agency from dire circumstances that threaten to destroy you in 72 hours. Or die trying.

Klei Entertainment have shown their stealth and roguelike pedigree in their previous titles, the well received Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve, and from my time spent with Invisible, Inc. so far, it'd appear they've kept up to that high standard. It's turn based nature mixes with stealth genre brilliantly, turning each mission into a battle of wits, tasking you with finding solutions to problems and thinking your way through them, rather than relying on your timing and accuracy. Of course, it being a roguelike, you'll fail often, but you're compensated in the shape of a persistent experience meter, which earns you new variations on agents and gadgets for future attempts. Besides, you always learn from your failures, and each failure should leave you with great stories. The game is very difficult, but fair in it's difficulty. If you fail, it's because you didn't think things through enough, it's never due to random elements outside your control or awareness. The game's also got a lovely cyberpunk espionage aesthetic that I really appreciate.

Td1jETI.png

Not A Hero - r3n4ud
Not A Hero is a "2 1/4D" cover-shooter by Roll7. The game is about the BunnyLord, a time-traveling rabbit who's running for mayor of London on a promise to clean up the city through not-overly-discriminate applications of violence delivered by his campaign manager, Steve. Sounds awesome, right? It is.

Having played the demo, you are able to play a few levels to get a feel for the game. While the early levels are rather short, each level has three objectives you try to meet. If you fail to meet them, you can always restart the level and try again. You start off the game playing as Steve, and as you progress, you unlock new characters that have new weapons. The game is violent, plenty of baddies to kill, and plenty of shootouts to be had in this cover-shooter. This is one game to look forward to this month. And remember, vote BunnyLord!

3Sn3FNN.png

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - jshackles
Did you finish Final Fantasy IV wishing for more? Me too, until I played Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. Those were 18 glorious years where I imagined all the great possibilities that existed for one of my favorite cast of Final Fantasy characters. What we actually ended up with is something very strange and difficult to describe. The game takes place after the events that unfolded in Final Fantasy IV - when the moon left orbit and peace returned to the world. Now, the moon is back and it's up to Cecil and the gang, along with their Next Generation counterparts to figure out what's going on and stop it.

The game introduces some new gameplay elements while staying pretty true to it's predecessor. Most notable changes are how the moon phases can affect the physical and magic attacks in battle, and the advent of "Band" attacks which let your heroes team up Chrono Trigger-style for devastating attacks. Where this game differs wildly from the original is that it was first sold episodically, with a new episode being released once a month back in 2008. Although the Steam release includes all of the episodes, the game itself still suffers from having these kind of strange cliffhangers that seem very out of place for a Final Fantasy game.

If you can look past it's flaws such as the characters having really stupid names (I'm looking at you, Ceodore) then there's a decent but not amazing experience to be had here. However I can only recommend this game if you're a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series, loved Final Fantasy IV, and don't mind slogging through a story that's more fan fiction than Final Fantasy.

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

VZRrcWS.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.

hfRPttG.jpg

• Steam Support - The place to contact steam if you have a problem with the service.
  • Steam Trading Cards - Gain money by selling cards or craft them for cosmetic items.
  • Add funds to your Steam Wallet - You can also buy gift cards at most major gaming retailers.
  • Steam Mobile - Use Steam while away from the PC. Supports iOS and Android and has been recently updated.
  • Big Picture Mode - Lets you run Steam on your TV in a more convenient manner.
  • Steam Family Sharing - Share your Steam account with family and friends.
  • Steam Community - A hub of what other steam users have created or are discussing.
  • Steam Workshop - A showcase of Mods for games on Steam. Many are free, but some you now have to pay for.
  • Steam Greenlight - Vote for games that want to be on the Steam store.
  • Steam Stats - Check stats for the top 100 most played games on Steam.

TNJTePu.jpg

410axy1.jpg

HqIhxQF.jpg

Previous Threads in 2015:

Tizoc

Already huh?
Good job on OT jshackles, and WITCHA 3 IS RELEASING THIS MONTH?!?!?!!?

Man Nuuvem gotta hurry up and get Old Blood on there DX

There's no problems or bad blood between the two...

Just Kamiya said he's more business focused than creation which is where he's at these days.

Well the tweet he was asked can be vaguley interpeted ^^;
as is though I'm not too concered with Inafune's position far as game development goes.
I just wanna play games and collect them~

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Modbot is now attached to this thread. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Time to jump back on to the SSD bandwagon. Can't say "No!" to a 960GB M500 for $396 delivered -- 94GB for Windows, 800GB for Steam. It's not the speediest SSD in the world but I was perfectly happy with my now-relatively-ancient Vertex 2 (space aside).

Edit: Decided to pay an extra $7 or so for express shipping. With any luck it'll arrive on Monday rather than Tuesday.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finally time for the Witcher 3. Gameplay has been looking pretty good from the preview videos I've seen.

jshackles

Is making the steam OT like jury duty?

I hope modbot don't pick me next

Well it was a lot more work than I originally anticipated (creating images, collecting and formatting recommendations, building the lists, etc) but I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

I'm very much okay with continuing the tradition as long as nobody objects.

Dsyndrome

I don't feel sad for Dead Island 2 knowing a) the quality Dead Island was at launch; b) series progression with the follow-ups; and c) Dying Light existing.

Lain

I still don't trust SSDs =/

Why's that? I find SSDs to be pretty damn amazing. I'm waiting to find a good deal to get a second one for games even, because the HDD I use feels so damn slow compared to how quick the SSD with the OS on it is.

milena87

Nice OT ;)

And yay, The Witcher 3 month is finally here!

I'm still deciding on Wolf Old Blood. I kinda want it and I loved TNO, but I have so many games already...
I have like 0 willpower, so I'm totally going to buy it of course. Who am I kidding

Dr Dogg

Finally the title is fixed. You have no idea how many times I would skip past in.

Also while you're here, shackles can I baggsie Batman Arkham Knight as a recommendation for next month?

jshackles

Also while you're here, shackles can I baggsie Batman Arkham Knight as a recommendation for next month?

Indeed sir you may. Looking forward to it!

Annubis

Why's that? I find SSDs to be pretty damn amazing. I'm waiting to find a good deal to get a second one for games even, because the HDD I use feels so damn slow compared to how quick the SSD with the OS on it is.

Still at a higher price & lower life expectancy than HDD.
Although I guess I should probably do like most here and get one just to put games on it.
A dead Steam drive wouldn't be too much of an annoyance, just a lot of re-downloading.

Excited the Witcher 3 is finally coming out, still have worries about the open world not being able to sustain interesting content but we'll find out soon enough.

New Blood should be great and I'm sure there will be lots of fun, indie surprises throughout the month. Had never heard of Lakeview Cabin until the giantbomb quick look and it ended up being the most fun I've had with a game in a while.

Phinor

It's going to be pretty damn good May. Starting next week, I've already bought Wolfenstein, Project Cars, Invisible Inc., Galactic Civlizations 3, Witcher 3 and Carmageddon Reincarnation. I guarantee at least half of those will be great games (and probably no more than half).

Witcher 3 is going to be very interesting. DA:I was a mess and the open world didn't help much with the issues the game had. CD Projekt is probably more competent developer but how do we feel about Witcher 3 100+ hours later, that's my question. Hype can only last for so long, in the case of DA:I it lasted about quarter of the way through Hinterlands in my case.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Accidental Runner keys now available through the dev's Desura account. This will end well

It's worth noting that this is now the only way to get the Steam version of the game as he pulled it from the store a couple of days ago, just a few weeks after it released, for... some reason. He also said he won't be obliging ad hoc Steam key requests, so if you'd like a key, be sure to send the PM within the window he mentions, just in case it's a one-time thing.

It's going to be pretty damn good May. Starting next week, I've already bought Wolfenstein, Project Cars, Invisible Inc., Galactic Civlizations 3, Witcher 3 and Carmageddon Reincarnation. I guarantee at least half of those will be great games (and probably no more than half).

Witcher 3 is going to be very interesting. DA:I was a mess and the open world didn't help much with the issues the game had. CD Projekt is probably more competent developer but how do we feel about Witcher 3 100+ hours later, that's my question. Hype can only last for so long, in the case of DA:I it lasted about quarter of the way through Hinterlands in my case.

I'm really hoping that the core game is something like 40 hours long but there's a ton of crappy little optional side quests that inflate that number for the nuts out there that like that stuff.

The Witcher 2 was 25 hours for my first playthrough and that was perfectly fine. there was a major reason to replay it so you could probably get another 10-15 hours out of it if you wanted to. Plus, though there weren't many side quests they were all really well crafted and enjoyable and didn't devolve into "get 5 herbs and bring them to me" nonsense that most of these games tend to do and that the Witcher 1 was plagued with.

I still want to play DA:I, but at least i will go into it knowing that it's filler city. My expectations are in check.

Uzzy

May is freaking packed. I'm glad I just started a job so I might have a chance to buy some of the games coming out this month.. but sadly I don't get paid till the end of the month, so I'll have to spend a few weeks avoiding Witcher 3 spoilers. Good times.

Also, great job on the OP, jshackles.

Lomax

With this OT, jshackles now officially does everything of significance for Steam in the world.

Heroes VII?! When did that get announced??!!

A while back but I think people are still holding their breath and expecting another uPlay debacle like with Heroes VI.

Turfster

It's worth noting that this is now the only way to get the Steam version of the game as he pulled it from the store a couple of days ago, just a few weeks after it released, for... some reason.

Well, he was basically monetizing the UE4 sample assets, so...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-D73E5C485F6B8502 - Taken by Mr. Poolman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom