• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Music officially released

It's available to everyone now.

Visit the group for more info. Scroll down for the beta client updates.

From SteamDB: How to download soundtracks on Steam without downloading the whole game
#1 comment said:
Edit: it works but the music doesn't show up in the music player. I added the Steam/steamapps/content folder to the music library and now it is perfect. But you should add this to your list otherwise some poeple wonder where the music ends up.

Recent beta client updates: (You need to opt into the beta to get these. Will only list the more recent ones.)

Sept 1

Added support for FLAC, OGG Vorbis, and M4A (both AAC and Apple Lossless)
Added the ability to seek within a playing track

Fitz

These new features are great and all, but some improvement for things like categories would be nice.

Pudge

Very excited, although I hope they don't take too long to integrate this stuff into the desktop client considering how frequently Big Picture still crashes on me.

injurai

Banned
Pretty neat. Although the only game I will be deferring to my own tunes for is Dota 2, and Valve games can run borderless so it's not a hassle to run a small footprinted music player. Rarely do I want to lose a games OST.

andreyblade

Neo Member
Pretty cool but I just hope this won't mean players will completely forget about a game's soundtrack and use their own music all the time. I don't want truly stunning soundtracks like Bastion or Portal to be lost or ignored

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pretty cool but I just hope this won't mean players will completely forget about a game's soundtrack and use their own music all the time. I don't want truly stunning soundtracks like Bastion or Portal to be lost or ignored

That's a very 2001-era concern, since the original Xbox had the functionality.

Kade

Screens

music_add.png

music_file_browser.png

music_crawling.png

music_library_hd.png

music_album.png

music_player.png

music_player_closeup.png

music_player_overlay.png

Mmm Boards of Canada. I hope there's a software equalizer.

undu

I don't understand why does it only support mp3 at first when it's so easy to support also free formats with gstreamer.

A bit disappointed with this, as all my music library consists of flac files.

Kade

I don't understand why does it only support mp3 at first when it's so easy to support also free formats with gstreamer.

A bit disappointed with this, as all my music library consists of flac files.

They just added barebones features for the beta release. I imagine they'll be supporting more file formats as time progresses.

kinggroin

Banned
Niiice.

Now when do we get the ability to select installation folder for games in BPM? Kiiind of a big deal to me seeing as my SSD is a tenth the size of my games drive.

jediyoshi

Neat. If I can just point it to my podcast folder and it take care of the rest, I'll be happy.

Hell if they ever add in RSS support, I can just get rid of a program in the process.

If they add tons of different file type support, along with services like Spotify, while making it easy to use/navigate in living room steamboxes, this will be an awesome feature to have. Can't wait to see how far they will flesh this out!

Randdalf

Damn, Valve's getting distracted with nonsense. I go to Steam to play games, not do anything else.

This is probably one person at Valve who decided to create such a feature because they thought it would be valuable - and indeed it is. It's not like they shut down the whole company's game making efforts to create stuff like this, there are different people working in different teams.

Maztorre

Damn, Valve's getting distracted with nonsense. I go to Steam to play games, not do anything else.

Yes, I too was disappointed to read that they put all game development on hold and dedicated 100% of their staff to implement this feature. Oh wait, they didn't.

Top Bottom