• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now has over 125 million active accounts

jambo

4f3cQqWm.jpg

Press release

GDC 2015 will mark the 13th anniversary of Valve's first public announcement of Steam, which has since become the leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux games and software.

In the last year, Steam added new services and features - including In-Home Streaming, Broadcasting, Music, and user created stores - as it grew to over 125 million active accounts worldwide.

Steam now offers 4500 games, with 400 million pieces of user-generated content contributed by members of the Steam Community.

From the SteamVR thread

They went past 100 million in late September 2014, so it's only taken them 5-6 months to get another 25 million active users. 50 million up from January 2014.

~
Because people will try to downplay this, as always - active account = logged in within the last month

We need an open source alternative. Something like a Mozilla client for games that is of equal quality and pays devs / publishers better margins on their game sales.

Kinthalis

Banned
Doesn't mean anything because my Grandma had steam installed by a hacker, and that probably means that atleast 1/2 of those 125 million are octogenarians who only play CS Go.

But seriously, this is tremendous growth. I wonder what will happen when we have Steam machines and VR?

Memory

Great, maybe now they can invest in a decent customer service team and get a customer friendly refund system in place.

There's a reason why more and more games (even from Japanese devs) are coming to Steam, the rate of growth is pretty... incredible.

We need an open source alternative. Something like a Mozilla client for games that is of equal quality and pays devs / publishers better margins on their game sales.
What Valve takes isn't a whole lot if you consider that the retail market is still pretty huge in the console space, pretty sure they make more money per copy on Steam. Alternatives is always good though, I just think people tend to think that what Valve takes is huge, when the alternatives aren't that much more interesting.

Durante

Doesn't mean anything because my Grandma had steam installed by a hacker, and that probably means that atleast 1/2 of those 125 million are octogenarians who only play CS Go.
lol

I think it's because Feep is giving away all those free games.

Nabbis

Im tempted to say that i want more competition, but Uplay and Origin are makes me want a monopoly. Im conflicted.

Venture

I'm one of those 125 million plus, but only because I was forced to. I hardly ever game on PC anymore so I was surprised an annoyed when I popped in a (non-Valve) game and had to install Steam in order to play it.

That said, I can see the appeal of Steam. It's a really slick and convenient product.

Nyoro SF

But seriously, this is tremendous growth. I wonder what will happen when we have Steam machines and VR?

I was going to make a joke about naysayers but I couldn't top this one LOL

But yeah, Steam is leading a heavy charge. It would be foolish for any company to ignore it and what it offers.

Fjordson

Eh, not a huge deal imo. Still billions of people out there who have never been on Steam.

obviously just a (lame) joke, good work Valve!

jambo

Im tempted to say that i want more competition, but Uplay and Origin are makes me want a monopoly. Im conflicted.

There are still sites like GOG and Origin has actually become pretty decent recently.

Still lacking in a lot of features and has some terrible UI stuff, but it's no where near as bad as the launch year.

BPoole

Yeah well, Steam automatically starts with my PC, and I don't even play games on there anymore since UPlay came out.

So it's only 124,999,999 tops

samn

I'm one of those 125 million plus, but only because I was forced to. I hardly ever game on PC anymore so I was surprised an annoyed when I popped in a (non-Valve) game and had to install Steam in order to play it.

That said, I can see the appeal of Steam. It's a really slick and convenient product.

I had the same experience but with my dad, he thinks of Steam as the annoying bit of crapware that insists on starting up and running in the background when he just wants to play Civ.

Grief.exe

Great, maybe now they can invest in a decent customer service team and get a customer friendly refund system in place.

Apparently, Customer Service is the largest division of the company by a wide margin.

I've always thought it would be better for Valve to either contract out for certain tasks or absorb a satellite company specifically for these kind of things. An open structure environment and slow hiring process aren't always beneficial.

Glasshole

Banned
At least half of them are Dota 2 & CSGO smurfs and VACation accounts.

Yeah well, Steam automatically starts with my PC, and I don't even play games on there anymore since UPlay came out.

So it's only 124,999,999 tops

Can't tell if hipster or joking

Top Bottom