• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I'm guessing not, that would rely on Square sending Valve the appropriate assets.

Anything is possible though.
Well, they apparently read a Steam forum thread and added dual audio because of it. They also have trading cards.

It doesn't look like this part of Square would forget about something as elementary as a banner image.

I've said it time and time again, I don't understand the rampant FF13 hate.
My pet theory is that a lot of it is still spillover from the "betrayalton". Sony fanboys never forgive and never forget.

Grief.exe

Didn't FF8 and 7 get banners?

I don't remember if they did, then that increases the likelihood of a FFXIII banner.

Well, they apparently read a Steam forum thread and added dual audio because of it. They also have trading cards.

It doesn't look like this part of Square would forget about something as elementary as a banner image.

Fair point.

I still wish they had added the dual audio option as a seperate DLC, ala Mordor or Sleeping Dogs' Texture Pack

So The Evil Within is locked on 30 FPS. This gen is really sad. The only things they are doing are remake, and "new" releases are pretty much a "small" improvement from old gen titles. And this reflects on PC too, of course.

well at least it's unlockable and that's pretty much all folks like me wanted to know (this & will it break some parts of the game)
i don't know about other folks here but after having played RE4 UHD at 60fps i kinda wish this was how i first experienced the game, i didn't want to do the same mistake with TEW

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-10-09_14-10-09.jpg
2014-10-09_14-10-28.jpg
2014-10-09_14-10-42.jpg

So now that it has been divulged that Evil Within won't 'officially' support 60fps, is anyone cancelling pre-orders over it? Or is the 'hack' good enough?

FFTactics, FFTactics, FFTactics, FFTactics, FFTactics!!!

And FF9 while you're at it.

I'm not picky, I'll take any and all FF games on Steam

Majukun

I've said it time and time again, I don't understand the rampant FF13 hate.
You think the story is bad? It seriously isn't really all that worse than any of the previous FF games was.
Linear corridors? Same with FF10, which everyone and their dog seems to love to death, laughing scene notwithstanding.
No input required during the fights? I'd say it requires more thought than FF12 did, and I personally was okay with the hands-off approach...
Did Lightning kill your mummy or something?

it's just an incredibly bad game for me..and I'm not a final fantasy fan so I don't really know how it compares to the other episodes of the series..I've only played FF 7 ages ago.Still,all i saw it's a videogame with almost no "gameplay" to speak of,that needed the barely minimum of player input to be played.

and they still managed to botch something in tha battle system ,or maybe i missed something when i played it,because my "tank" kept staying close to my "mage",meaning that when a boss had area of effect attacks,it was useless to tank because every attack would still hit the most fragile member of the party

So now that it has been divulged that Evil Within won't 'officially' support 60fps, is anyone cancelling pre-orders over it? Or is the 'hack' good enough?

I will probably resume my preorder, the GMG coupon expires the 10th, I'm just waiting to see if anything more comes out.
I just hope they didn't tie game logic to framerate because if that's the case 60fps will most likely break some parts of the game.

I can somehow understand that watching a game at 60 and 30, 30 might feel more "cinematic" or however you want to describe it. However, games aren't meant just to be watched and with a controller or m+kb in hand there's just no contest in my mind.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I will probably resume my preorder, the GMG coupon expires the 10th, I'm just waiting to see if anything more comes out.
I just hope they didn't tie game logic to framerate because if that's the case 60fps will most likely break some parts of the game.

I don't think that'll be the case:

id Tech 5 supports 60fps by default, and while it doesn't play well with framerates beyond that (which is why id patched out the cvar that allowed people to uncap the framerate in Rage PC), I'd be surprised if Tango actually gutted the engine to the extent that it now only supports up to 30fps without any funny business. That's too much work for no actual gain -- arbitrarily limiting the engine to 30fps doesn't break anything in Rage and Wolf14 (otherwise they wouldn't be able to support vsync).

There's a Arzakana who tried to add me, sorry that I misclicked the ignore button, you can add again if you want.
dat music. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but when I got in the train and turned around,the fucking Alien was right there.
Went home for the National Day, so I have three days not to deal with the bloody alien, I hate the human enemies.

Tizoc

Really? In FFX you can explore, yes the areas were linear, but they were also full of additional stuff to find, minigames etc.
There's NOTHING of this on FFXIII. Is IMPOSSIBLE missing a chest in FFXIII, for example.

Wrong. You can miss chests, since you still need to explore the small maps.

All this talk of corridors is misleading. You have a small area to explore during each chapter of the 2nd prologue (Ch. 2-10).
Heck there's a chest I had a hard time finding in one of the caves in Gran Pulse which was obscured from view.

Since it's a small area, OF COURSE it would be easy to not miss any of the chests...though you still could. To add you can skip getting any chests during the early chapters although some might have an item that would make getting the 'get all equipment' cheevo easier.

FloatOn

asscrud could be a million fps and it still wouldn't matter. the game is fundamentally stupid.

also this fps conversation is getting old. so long as it's steady I can give two fucks if it's 30 or 60.

Really? In FFX you can explore, yes the areas were linear, but they were also full of additional stuff to find, minigames etc.
There's NOTHING of this on FFXIII. Is IMPOSSIBLE missing a chest in FFXIII, for example.
The sign of someone who listened to the anti-hype and didn't actually play FFXIII. FFXIII is just like that, after the first few intro areas; the "corridors with no room for exploration" is all at the beginning of the game. And later on it opens into a huge open-world non-linear exploration area. Also, the combat system may start simplistic, but the further you go into the game the better it gets, to the point it's very fun and challenging once you get around 20 hours into the game. You don't have to control every little move, but you control the major ones and set the strategy, and are constantly changing the strategy. I'll be the first to admit it took too long to get to that point, combat shouldn't have a 25 hour tutorial before it is fully unlocked.

Knurek

Wow such an edgy opinion there. True journalism taking it to the man.

"This remastered version achieves the 60 frames-per-second that gamers demand, but I recommend making use of the ability to lock it in at 30; it makes for a far more cinematically immersive game, bringing the frame rate more in line with the Hollywood standard of 24 fps."

I'll be the first to admit it took too long to get to that point, combat shouldn't have a 25 hour tutorial before it is fully unlocked.

This can be said of pretty much every single Final Fantasy game after FF6.

asscrud could be a million fps and it still wouldn't matter. the game is fundamentally stupid.

also this fps conversation is getting old. so long as it's steady I can give two fucks if it's 30 or 60.

some people care and other don't, what is really getting annoying is that both sides have people being condescending about the other and telling them how they should enjoy games and it really makes browsing through this board painful sometimes

i agree about asscreed but then again there isn't a lot of ubi games i like besides rayman and bg&e

aku:jiki

I refuse to believe that this is actually a serious thing said in an actual serious review. I am going to go to Rekall after work and just make myself believe that I live on a space station orbiting Saturn instead.

The "cinematic standard" is also something that needs to change, I loved the HFR Hobbit movies that were shown at 48fps, especially the second one where Peter Jackson figured out how to make it look better.

Knurek

I refuse to believe that this is actually a serious thing said in an actual serious review. I am going to go to Rekall after work and just make myself believe that I live on a space station orbiting Saturn instead.

The actual weird thing is that it was penned by Jeremy Parish of all people, who is generally writing some amazing things with regards to game design for older games...
I'm guessing he's playing them on an emulator with frameskip enabled, to make them a more cinematic experience.

Played the first 90 minutes or so of Alien last night and, um, no alien yet.

I know that Alien is pretty much just corridors, but boy does it both look great and run well. It's the first current gen game that i've played that really feels like it's a league above the last gen stuff. Can't wait to put my headphones back on and continue exploring that derelict space base.

derExperte

The actual weird thing is that it was penned by Jeremy Parish of all people, who is generally writing some amazing things with regards to game design for older games...
I'm guessing he's playing them on an emulator with frameskip enabled, to make them a more cinematic experience.

I once thought Parish knows what he's talking about but it turned out that that was only true for old console games.

Bad news for you Hotline Miami fans. I talked to Devolver Digital's Andrew Parsons yesterday at Brasil Game Show and he told me that it's unlikely Hotline Miami 2 will be released before the second semester of 2015.

Yes. 2015.

fuck

Bad news for you Hotline Miami fans. I talked to Devolver Digital's Andrew Parsons yesterday at Brasil Game Show and he told me that it's unlikely Hotline Miami 2 will be released before the second semester of 2015.

Yes. 2015.

Dr Dogg

Right so not to stir up the grate frame rate debate I'll bang on about cases. I used to use a Fractal R3 for my home server and just swapped over to an R4 when I recently rebuilt it and if it wasn't for the power/activity light I wouldn't know it's on. Maybe a mid-tower but it's about 20-30mm deeper so you got a nice section behind the motherboard tray for cable management and can fit tall CPU heatsinks. The best bit is though the you have 2 SSD mounts on the back of the motherboard tray and 8, yes 8 HDD cages that also have mounting points for 2.5" SSDs and retaining bolts to stop them rattling. Only issue is there's not a lot of clearance in the roof if you wanted to watercool but other wise awesome case.

Ooooor as my stance has been since I found out it was going to be using a jury-rigged engine (especially out of one that has had various problems for some people), waiting for what the brave men and women who preorder make a sacrifice for those of us on the fence.

madjoki

I know that Alien is pretty much just corridors, but boy does it both look great and run well.

Yeah, can't really believe new-gen don't runt at solid 1080p60, when my 4 year old 6870 is near that with ultra settings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yes. 2015.

These things really do take time!

Saw thread title, WHAT? How is that Possible?

It's the rest-of-world version specifically as it now has dual audio (English/Japanese).

I know that Alien is pretty much just corridors, but boy does it both look great and run well. It's the first current gen game that i've played that really feels like it's a league above the last gen stuff. Can't wait to put my headphones back on and continue exploring that derelict space base.
It's a looker, and it's also very scary, wait until you've encountered it for the first time, then you'll know.

AHA-Lambda

Yes. 2015.

AAAARRGHH!!
Well, the rest of the year is a write off then >_<

What does second semester mean, sorry? Q2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom